[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MSU looks at MU  (Read 16721 times)

tower912

• All American
MSU looks at MU
« on: March 13, 2023, 08:17:03 AM »
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/columnists/graham-couch/2023/03/12/michigan-state-basketball-ncaa-tournaemnt-bracket-usc-marquette-columbus-3-quick-takes/70000021007/

MU is good, but the weakest of the #2's, so Sparty could have done a lot worse.   

So, if MSU gets past USC, which is far from certain......
My take on Sparty.    Forest Gump, Life is like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're going to get.  Lacks the fire and cohesiveness that you see in the great Izzo teams.    There are moments and stretches where Sparty looks like a great Izzo team.   For 38 minutes, able to build a 10 pt lead on the road at Iowa.   And then...     Some heroic wins, but some completely unexplainable losses.   
I think against MU, they will play Hall and Hauser at forward with a 3 guard set a lot, instead of Sissoko or the rest of the non-descript back up 5's.      It makes sense, as Hall is 6'8 and Joey 6'9.  I think that if OMax stays home on Hauser and stays out of foul trouble, MU wins that match up.  When Sissoko is not in the game, MSU lacks a shot blocker.   Still good rebounders.   MSU will play big with Hauser, Hall and a 5.   
  The guard play will be the norm.    MSU has played a lot of 3 guard this year.  They don't have a lock down defender.  As always, MSU will attempt to be the more physical team.   All year, I have watched MSU guards and thought Seton Hall.   

MU's best is better than MSU's best. 

« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 08:25:16 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
Re: MSU looks at MU
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 08:22:25 AM »
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/columnists/graham-couch/2023/03/12/michigan-state-basketball-ncaa-tournaemnt-bracket-usc-marquette-columbus-3-quick-takes/70000021007/

My take on Sparty.    Forest Gump, Life is like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're going to get.  Lacks the fire and cohesiveness that you see in the great Izzo teams.    There are moments and stretches where Sparty looks like a great Izzo team.   For 38 minutes, able to build a 10 pt lead on the road at Iowa.   And then...     Some heroic wins, but some completely unexplainable losses.   
I think against MU, they will play Hall and Hauser at forward a lot, instead of Sissoko or the rest of the non-descript back up 5's.      It makes sense, as Hall is 6'8 and Joey 6'9.  I think that if OMax stays home on Hauser and stays out of foul trouble, MU wins that match up.  When Sissoko is not in the game, MSU lacks a shot blocker.   Still good rebounders.   MSU will play big with Hauser, Hall and a 5.   Then
  The guard play will be the norm.    MSU has played a lot of 3 guard this year.  They don't have a lock down defender.  As always, MSU will attempt to be the more physical team.   All year, I have watched MSU guards and thought Seton Hall.   

Good scouting report, tower. Hope you have one ready for our 2nd-round matchup against USC.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Spirit Of James

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 08:42:47 AM »
MSU fans love their draw, much like we like ours.  They view us as the most 'beatable' 2-seed.  MSU does not have a true 5 who dominates the post, which is good for MU.  MSU is not a great rebounding team, which is good for MU.  For most of the season, MSU has really struggled with turnovers; they've cleaned it up over the past month, but haven't faced a ball-pressure team quite like MU.  They have Izzo, upper classmen with leadership and experience, and can get hot from 3...which can make them dangerous.  But on paper, the matchup leans to us.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 08:45:34 AM »
The worst 2 seed is still a 2 seed. Either way we will have to play well to move on. I think we do.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 08:54:49 AM »
Good scouting report, tower. Hope you have one ready for our 2nd-round matchup against USC.
I have watched USC for 10 minutes all season.   No idea.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 09:10:03 AM »
My first thought about a potential Michigan State game?  Joey Hauser pick and roll defense.  That's where Marquette feasts.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 09:24:47 AM »
My first thought about a potential Michigan State game?  Joey Hauser pick and roll defense.  That's where Marquette feasts.

Can we get Wojo doing the halftime report for the game? Guy that lead to his downfall vs team that fired him.
Maigh Eo for Sam

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 09:27:39 AM »
C'mon Gang, forget about Joey Hauser.

It's another tournament game against a good coach with a mediocre team.

We played with UConn, which is better than MSU. We played with Xavier, who also is better than MSU. We played St. john's twice in a week and roared back and bit 'em in the Big East.

We go about nine deep. They don't.

F**k 'em!

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 09:47:01 AM »
Better not to get overconfident.  Since Crean came from MSU, I think MSU has always looked down on MU.  Just another team from the Izzo coaching tree.  Was it MSU in Greensboro we played with an injured Dominic James and the team had shaved heads?  We got destroyed.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 09:48:17 AM »
Better not to get overconfident.  Since Crean came from MSU, I think MSU has always looked down on MU.  Just another team from the Izzo coaching tree.  Was it MSU in Greensboro we played with an injured Dominic James and the team had shaved heads?  We got destroyed.

That was Mizzou. We played them in an 8/9 game after Jerel got hurt. I believe 2007. It was ugly.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 09:48:40 AM »
Jerel was injured, not DJ. 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2023, 10:00:49 AM »
Thanks, Cheebs09 and Tower. Did MU play MSU in the tournament?
I seem to recall a big buildup of mentor versus student when Crean was Coach.
If not, guess just time playing tricks on me.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 10:06:56 AM by NCMUFan »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2023, 10:03:43 AM »
Sparty just got handled by Ohio State.  I hope they have an answer for USC.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2023, 10:09:36 AM »
Thanks, Cheebs09 and Tower. Did MU play MSU in the tournament?
I seem to recall a big buildup of mentor versus student when Crean was Coach.
If not, guess just time playing tricks on me.
Sparty put a whuppin on MU the year Jerel was out with a thumb injury.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2023, 10:12:39 AM »

I think against MU, they will play Hall and Hauser at forward with a 3 guard set a lot, instead of Sissoko or the rest of the non-descript back up 5's.      It makes sense, as Hall is 6'8 and Joey 6'9.  I think that if OMax stays home on Hauser and stays out of foul trouble, MU wins that match up.  When Sissoko is not in the game, MSU lacks a shot blocker.   Still good rebounders.   MSU will play big with Hauser, Hall and a 5.   

Come on, focus on the game in front of you!!!!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2023, 10:16:13 AM »
Vermont is short, quick, shoots a lot of 3's and fared poorly out of conference.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2023, 10:17:48 AM »

That was brutal. As I recall, it was the first game on Thursday, and we went down something like 16-2. Enthusiasm for the tourney was done by noon on Thursday that year. Bygones.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2023, 10:19:21 AM »

Izzo put up a hybrid picket fence zone defense to stop dribble penetration and his protégé didn't respond with a counter until it was too late.  Incredibly, MU had zero two point baskets in the first half as Crean kept going to his endless loop three man weave. Maddening.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2023, 10:25:35 AM »
Vermont is short, quick, shoots a lot of 3's and fared poorly out of conference.

they lost to Yale by 29, be very afraid...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2023, 10:29:24 AM »
I was wondering if anyone on MU's roster was on MU's roster when Joey was.  Then I remembered that Joey has been in college for a decade and is a balding middle aged man, while our roster is the youngest in the BE.  Go MU.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

i71_dawg

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2023, 10:52:52 AM »
Izzo put up a hybrid picket fence zone defense to stop dribble penetration and his protégé didn't respond with a counter until it was too late.  Incredibly, MU had zero two point baskets in the first half as Crean kept going to his endless loop three man weave. Maddening.

I still have nightmares about Crean's 3-Man Weave offense that often took place out near the half-court circle until the shot clock ran most of the way down.
MUBB fan for nearly 30 years

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2023, 11:03:57 AM »
I was wondering if anyone on MU's roster was on MU's roster when Joey was.  Then I remembered that Joey has been in college for a decade and is a balding middle aged man, while our roster is the youngest in the BE.  Go MU.

Would he have been there when Oso was taking his visits?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Carl

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2023, 11:04:24 AM »

Ha!!

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2023, 02:56:29 PM »
In 2007, State got out to a 14-0 lead and never looked back. MSU 61, MU 49.  I don't see history repeating.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2023, 02:58:35 PM »
In 2007, State got out to a 14-0 lead and never looked back. MSU 61, MU 49.  I don't see history repeating.

You just HAD to remind me of that fiasco, didn't you?  ;D 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

feedback