[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MSU looks at MU  (Read 16716 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
Re: MSU looks at MU
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2023, 07:15:53 AM »
One game at a time.
Take care of MSU.
A notch up on size, physicality and maybe talent than Vermont.
Doable.  We have done it before.
Go Marquette!

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2023, 07:30:47 AM »
Is that not a dream final 4 run? Couldn't ask for anything better

Especially this season. Each of those program’s is down.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2023, 08:33:52 AM »

I think MU by 10+ on Sunday, with or without a full strength Kolek.
A 10+ victory without healthy Kolek…….wow thats bold.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2023, 08:53:17 AM »

They’re gonna shoot Kolek up with the good stuff on Sunday

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2023, 08:56:05 AM »
This will feel like last Fridays game. Basically a road game. Physical opponent. Except their coach is a hall of famer and not whatever Hurley is.

It's going to take an unreal effort to win that game. Especially if Tyler is limited.
You mean it will take an "unreal" effort for msu to beat mu right? We are a 2 seed for a reason, we should act like one.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 08:58:57 AM by hairy worthen »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2023, 08:56:37 AM »
They’re gonna shoot Kolek up with the good stuff on Sunday

I don't think they are going to numb the hand of a point guard.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2023, 09:01:17 AM »
hairy

MU is a very good #2 seed and it was earned over an entire season. Their goal was to be playing their basketball in March and April and they are doing so. I am expecting a defensive gem tomorrow and then on to the next opponent.

Top teams find ways to win with their C game because they know how to win. They are the better team going into the game against MSU and they should be the one’s feeling they need an unreal performance to beat us.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2023, 09:02:10 AM »
I’m probably in the minority here, but I thought Kolek’s off game seemed more mental than physical.  Obviously, playing in pain throws off your whole game but he seemed to let things get to him and effect his play negatively.  Up to this point in the season, he’s always channeled those things into increasing his concentration and in turn his level of play, but it seemed the opposite happened yesterday. That said, because of that interpretation, I’m more encouraged that yesterday will be a singular off game than the start of a bad streak.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2023, 09:02:10 AM »
Agree with Goose.  This one will be won on the defensive end.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2023, 09:05:25 AM »
Hopefully each teams play as well as they played on the road at Notre Dame this season.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2023, 09:25:07 AM »
https://www.mlive.com/spartans/2023/03/michigan-state-rediscovers-its-defense-at-just-the-right-time-in-ncaa-tournament.html

But USC was not a great offensive team. They were 136th in adjusted offensive efficiency. Marquette is 11th.

That being said, Izzo is going to find a way to muck this up, but I think we have enough runs in us to prevail.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2023, 09:26:56 AM »
We are a 2 seed for a reason, we should act like one.

Sure, I hope the team does, since they earned the seed. I'm just a dude who watches the games.

I hope it's a comfortable win, but I don't think that'll be what happens. MSU looks to have figured some things out, and they'll have 70% of that building behind them.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2023, 09:30:01 AM »
Sure, I hope the team does, since they earned the seed. I'm just a dude who watches the games.

I hope it's a comfortable win, but I don't think that'll be what happens. MSU looks to have figured some things out, and they'll have 70% of that building behind them.

I don't know what you mean by "figured some things out." They were a seven seed that beat a ten. Last week they lost to a bad Ohio State team in the Big Ten tournament.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2023, 09:35:45 AM »
But USC was not a great offensive team. They were 136th in adjusted offensive efficiency. Marquette is 11th.

That being said, Izzo is going to find a way to muck this up, but I think we have enough runs in us to prevail.
Izzo always wants to muck it up.  They will play bully ball to the best of their abilities and then push the ball at every opportunity.  It is the Izzo DNA.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2023, 09:37:59 AM »
I don't know what you mean by "figured some things out." They were a seven seed that beat a ten.

I've watched a handful of their games this year, and that was as good as I've seen them on defense. They look Ellis completely out of the game. They bodied on drives and made USC take some bad midrange shots. Will it translate against MU? We'll see.

The other thing is Tyler's thumb. I don't know if MU can absorb another game like he had yesterday.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2023, 09:38:36 AM »

MSU plus 10 would be the largest wager in Vegas Sunday. Just saying.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2023, 09:55:04 AM »

But aren't you just a dude who watched MU win one of the best conferences out right and then follow it up with a bet win?

I dont understand why some fans cant accept MU as being a great team. Is it a Milwaukee inferiority complex?

Look, s--t happens in a lose and your out tournament, but any objective observer would say MU should win this game comfortably.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2023, 10:10:50 AM »
But aren't you just a dude who watched MU win one of the best conferences out right and then follow it up with a bet win?

I dont understand why some fans cant accept MU as being a great team. Is it a Milwaukee inferiority complex?

Look, s--t happens in a lose and your out tournament, but any objective observer would say MU should win this game comfortably.

So did all the objective observers who followed Purdue, AZ and Virginia. All the Purdue pundits had no words. FDU just played a better game. That is all we can expect tomorrow, that MU play the better game.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 10:16:57 AM by muwarrior69 »

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2023, 10:12:50 AM »

We could be a great team and still lose to MSU, certainly possible.  Look at Purdue, they are still a great team and lost to Fairleigh Dickinson.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2023, 10:14:30 AM »
hairy

Winning changes everything and it provides a confidence not only to the team, but the fans as well. As you remember, during the Al era MU fans were arrogant and confident. Not just because Al was that way, but because they won.

I was thinking about individual achievements vs. team achievements and team trumps everything. Individual greatness is acknowledged by sitting courtside and being introduced during a timeout. Winning teams are honored in a ceremony because they achieved the ultimate achievement, being a winning team.

I also was thinking about the Al era and what would that era be remembered for if they did not win the NC. IMO, the NC validated an era, but without it there would have been a big hole. The great players would have been remembered, but many old fans it would felt somewhat empty. The NC was not one team, but 13 years of players that made it happen.

Basically, I am saying that winning is a mindset and contiguous. Great programs have swag about them, and I think MU is starting to bring the swag. If this team wins the NC, last year's team was part of why it happened. I think it is time for MU fans to start having swag and arrogance because the MU program is back. For the record, I admit I might have too much swag at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 10:22:20 AM by Goose »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2023, 10:22:02 AM »
We could be a great team and still lose to MSU, certainly possible.  Look at Purdue, they are still a great team and lost to Fairleigh Dickinson.

Of course, I said as much. Thats not the point. The point is how you can look at both of these teams, before the game, not in hindsight, and say it will take an "unreal" effort for MU to win. Come on.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2023, 10:24:40 AM »
Is there any college player who was alive the last time the Big 10 won a national championship?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2023, 10:25:00 AM »

...but you said MU should win this game comfortably and some of us just have a different view of that. I for one think no tournament game is comfortable until the time runs out and we have more points than our opponent.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2023, 10:27:56 AM »
hairy

Winning changes everything and it provides a confidence not only to the team, but the fans as well. As you remember, during the Al era MU fans were arrogant and confident. Not just because Al was that way, but because they won.

I was thinking about individual achievements vs. team achievements and team trumps everything. Individual greatness is acknowledged by sitting courtside and being introduced during a timeout. Winning teams are honored in a ceremony because they achieved the ultimate achievement, being a winning team.

I also was thinking about the Al era and what would that era be remembered for if they did not win the NC. IMO, the NC validated an era, but without it there would have been a big hole. The great players would have been remembered, but many old fans it would felt somewhat empty. The NC was not one team, but 13 years of players that made it happen.

Basically, I am saying that winning is a mindset and contiguous. Great programs have swag about them, and I think MU is starting to bring the swag. If this team wins the NC, last year's team was part of why it happened. I think it is time for MU fans to start having swag and arrogance because the MU program is back. For the record, I admit I might have too much swag at the moment.
Exactly. I recognize some fans dont have the al era experience and can only draw from what they know. Sustained success will change minds over time. For me I am ready for MU to be prominent again as it once was. I may not have your level of swag, but not far behind. For the record I would not be disappointed if MU lost the next game. I am convinced the program is on the right track.