Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Maui Invitational (on Oahu) Primer  (Read 17561 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: 2023 Maui Invitational (on Oahu) Primer
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2023, 07:33:54 PM »
I lived on Oahu for 3 years. Granted it was in the 90s, but have been back a few times. Some ageless advice for Oahu.

Food:

Malasada's at Leonard's. Portuguese donuts. They are widely available but Leonard's is classic. Oh, the rest of their baked good don't suck either. https://www.leonardshawaii.com/home/

While you are in the neighborhood, plate lunch at the Rainbow Drive In (no, you don't have to eat in your car).  https://rainbowdrivein.com Do not substitute out the two scoops rice and scoop macaroni salad, unless it is to replace one of the scoops of rice with an extra scoop of macaroni salad. If your plate doesn't include gravy and they ask if you want it, say yes.  There are now three locations, but the original and best is off of Kapahulu. Leonard's is just up the road.

Shave Ice (First under Benny's don't be a Haole list, DO NOT, for all that is holy, call it shaved ice). Don't get it in Waikiki. Trucks on the north shore are fine. My favorite is a bit touristy, but I like Island Snow on the north side of the island in Kailua.

I have a fond place in my heart for Auntie Pasto's off of King Street for basic good Italian food.
If you see a food truck in Thomas Square, get a plate lunch there.

Other general food suggestions:
Huli Huli Chicken, especially if is it roadside or a fund raiser. But any local place that serves it, it is wonderful.
Kalua pig - heavenly.

Waikiki
Okay, if you are going to go and likely stay in Waikiki. Amazingly enough, there are some good things to do there.
Breakfast at the Veranda at the Westin Surfrider. Yes, it is pricey, but good food and the view and setting is spectacular. Option B is to at least have a drink there, sitting under the massive Bayon tree.

For Jimmy Buffett fans, the original Duke's at the Outrigger was one of his favorite places (mine too!). Good seafood, but even just a drink and enjoy the view.

Catamaran ride. Touristy, yes, but the views are spectacular. I prefer the red and yellow boat over the blue and white or more recent newcomers, but that might be more for nostalgia, as I knew the captain and crew in the day. Ride up front in the netting for a bit just to get the experience.  (I think it is still all you can drink included in the price) Back in the day, it actually used to be by the drink and the cheapest place to drink on Waikiki.

A drink, preferably around sunset at the Mai Tai bar at the historic Royal Hawaiian Hotel. Just for the history. Oh, and the setting isn't bad.

For fine dining (make reservations) House Without a Key. Everything is locally sourced. Go with whatever the chef is recommending that day.

Things to do:
As Benny noted visitors will send a ton of recommendations. None are probably bad.
A couple off the wall ideas:
Bishop Museum for all things Polynesian.
I'olani Palace - Be respectful. It was the last home of the queen before the US overthrew her.
Hiking - there are a ton of hiking trails very close to the city. Many are not crowded unlike the popular ones like Manoa Falls.  But be warned, don't leave valuables in your car especially in plain sight.

Punch Bowl Crater National Cemetery. Spectacular. And great views of Honolulu.

The North Shore - Especially in winter can be spectacular....and crowded. Parking can be a challenge. Waimea Bay is amazing. But Shark's Cove just up the road can be cool as well and easier to park.  It is wild that the North Shore can have 20 foot waves in the winter and flat calm in the summer.

State fish is humuhumunukunukuapua'a (that's 9 u's Bob).
They don't use east west, north south - Mauka is toward the mountains, makai is toward the water. Ewa (pronouced Eva)  is to the west, koko is toward the east.
Don't eat the Spam musubi, especially from the ABC store, no matter how drunk you are.

Not at all a definitive list or even a best of. And like I said, it has been before Covid since I have been, but feel free to ask if you have specific questions.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2023, 07:40:53 PM »
Pearl and the Arizona memorial is moving.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2023, 09:19:04 PM »

Yes they are.  Been there.  And aboard the USS Missouri which is there now - on which Japan signed their surrender off of Japan.   Must see - all of them.

mu_eyeballs

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2023, 01:51:50 PM »
pbiflyer THANKS! 

Last week when we made the switch from Maui to Oahu we ended up booking Thanksgiving dinner at the Surfrider at sunset! 

Anyone who got the package...any word on the team hotel?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2023, 03:07:12 PM »
pbiflyer THANKS! 

Last week when we made the switch from Maui to Oahu we ended up booking Thanksgiving dinner at the Surfrider at sunset! 

Anyone who got the package...any word on the team hotel?

Any additional info / a link to this thanksgiving dinner?

I just booked flights. Need to figure out where we’re staying now. Coming in Friday til LATE Thanksgiving.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2023, 06:34:12 PM »
Yes they are.  Been there.  And aboard the USS Missouri which is there now - on which Japan signed their surrender off of Japan.   Must see - all of them.

Also highly recommend the Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum.

https://www.pearlharboraviationmuseum.org/

mu_eyeballs

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2023, 07:46:57 PM »
Any additional info / a link to this thanksgiving dinner?

I just booked flights. Need to figure out where we’re staying now. Coming in Friday til LATE Thanksgiving.

My wife was looking on open table...per blurb on open table..."Enjoy an elevated buffet experience complete with holiday inspired cuisine.   Adults $125 5-12 $75.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2023, 08:21:24 PM »
My wife was looking on open table...per blurb on open table..."Enjoy an elevated buffet experience complete with holiday inspired cuisine.   Adults $125 5-12 $75.

Merriman's Monkeypod Kitchen just opened up in the Outrigger. I would try there. No indication what they are doing for Thanksgiving on the website at that location (but their others are open and pretty full).

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2023, 09:05:30 AM »

True, especially given my Dad's cousin was killed on the Arizona that morning.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2023, 02:48:28 PM »
For Pearl Harbor plan ahead if you want to go out to the USS Arizona.

https://www.nps.gov/perl/uss-arizona-memorial-programs.htm

I went in 2011 and just walked right up to board a ship.  Took zero planning. Times have changed. I took the family back in 2022 and it was my biggest Dad fail.  The lines were ridiculous and reservations were essentially required.

Tickets via recreation.gov are free and strongly recommended. The first-come first-served ticket distribution program has been discontinued, you can however ask a Park Ranger or Volunteer about the availability of standby for space available seating. Pearl Harbor National Memorial Rangers and Volunteers cannot accurately predict standby availability or wait times. During times of peak visitation (Spring Break, Summer Break, Thanksgiving Break, and Winter Break) the standby program may be discontinued. And available reservations can be reserved in a manner of minutes.

Reservations are released daily at 3 p.m. HST in two windows: 24-hours and 8-weeks in advance. So for example on January 1, tickets were released for January 2 and February 26.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2023, 04:54:00 PM »

I hope it's not moving to Maui.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

mu_eyeballs

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2023, 06:52:53 PM »
Anyone with tournament packages?  Has anyone heard anything about the team hotel?

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2023, 10:08:03 AM »
single game tickets were supposed to be released this week correct? Anyone have an update?

panda

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2023, 11:20:37 AM »
Are mini plans out yet ?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2023, 05:18:32 PM »
Are mini plans out yet ?
Ask Muggsy

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2023, 08:00:58 PM »

Jables1604

• Team Captain

mu_eyeballs

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2023, 09:20:26 PM »
This is great and I'm happy to support NIL...but I'm very disappointed in MU logo merch heading into a highly anticipated season.   Low hanging fruit with Maui this year is Tommy Bahamas(i have a MU TB quarter zip so we have had a license agreement in the past)...but no Jonny Oh, no TASC, and other premium brands most of which you can find Butler and X merch in their line-ups.

https://marquette.nil.store/collections/limited-releases

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2023, 09:39:54 PM »
*Expected Ship Date is is Nov. 17th*

Not meant for anyone going to HI for the games...

mu_eyeballs

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2023, 09:45:06 PM »

Boooooooo

panda

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2023, 09:49:17 PM »
This is great and I'm happy to support NIL...but I'm very disappointed in MU logo merch heading into a highly anticipated season.   Low hanging fruit with Maui this year is Tommy Bahamas(i have a MU TB quarter zip so we have had a license agreement in the past)...but no Jonny Oh, no TASC, and other premium brands most of which you can find Butler and X merch in their line-ups.

Totally agree - Peter Millar is really the only option available which is fine, I love PM but would like some different outlets as well.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2023, 06:51:33 AM »

MU Marketing Department sucks

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2023, 07:44:20 AM »
I know it’s a running theme …

But the MU Marketing Dept does, in fact …SUCK.  They are an embarrassment

Not fit for a big time program.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2023, 07:56:58 AM »
I know it’s a running theme …

But the MU Marketing Dept does, in fact …SUCK.  They are an embarrassment

Not fit for a big time program.

::) ::) ::)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback