Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Maui Invitational (on Oahu) Primer  (Read 17573 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: 2023 Maui Invitational Primer
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2023, 12:32:46 AM »
If you’re on the fence about going, go. I’ve traveled almost everywhere in the world, and Maui is second to none. It’s great being here right now as this thread is going.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2023, 05:49:22 AM »
Tickets

At previous tournaments (and I have no reason to suspect it will be different this year), there have been several ticketing options.  By far, the most popular amongst fans traveling to the island is the “booster” ticket, which is one ticket to each of the three games Marquette plays, regardless of when/how they progress through the bracket.  “All-session” tickets are available for the hoops junkies as well as single-game tickets for the casual fan.  There have also been a limited number of courtside/floor seats in some years.

Booster tickets are general admission and are limited to the sections behind and adjacent to the team bench (from mid-court around to halfway through the end zone).  You can sit anywhere in your corner of the LCC, and yes, it is enforced (there are separate entrances depending on the type of ticket you have, and it sounds like they’re wristbanding this year).  Although it may not be conspicuous, be advised that the first 4-5 rows behind the benches are typically reserved seating for families, staff, etc. (Benny didn’t realize he had been sitting in Buzz’s in-laws’ seats until Corey’s mother sat down and started chatting us up halfway through the last game in 2012… after the game, when it was pointed out to Buzz whose seats we had usurped, he seemed rather pleased.)

The all-session and single-game tickets are located opposite the team benches and in the other half of the end zones.  If you want to sit behind MU’s bench (with most of the MU fans), you have to have a booster ticket.

While Benny is not 100% certain, Benny seems to recall that the all-session and single tickets were a mix of general admission and reserved seating.  At the very least, the courtside/floor seats are reserved, and the non-booster seats in the end zones are general admission.

All-session and booster tickets typically go on sale to the general public in late-August/early-September; however, you can guarantee yourself booster tickets before the general sale by purchasing the official team travel package.  That said, Benny has had no problem buying booster tickets after they’ve gone on sale to the public, but be forewarned, they have been known to sell out by the time the tournament starts (which may perhaps be why they added the end zone seats to the booster section in 2017).  Single-game tickets are available to Kama’aina (residents of Hawai’i) in the fall, but usually aren’t released to the general public until a few weeks prior to the tournament.

I'll bet Ben Gold's family will be there. Only half the distance between NZ and Milwaukee.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2023, 08:00:03 AM »
FWIW—thus far Maui tickets have only been made available in ridiculously overpriced travel packages that include hotel + game tickets. No indication if tickets will be made available outside of that.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2023, 08:38:25 AM »
The school / tournament advertise that the only way to get guaranteed tickets is through the travel package. Any thoughts on likelihood of getting tickets outside these packages? Will there be an ultimate fail safe (Stubhub) if we miss out through traditional sources?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2023, 08:50:16 AM »
Lot of trap games in this one
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2023, 08:53:24 AM »
The school / tournament advertise that the only way to get guaranteed tickets is through the travel package. Any thoughts on likelihood of getting tickets outside these packages? Will there be an ultimate fail safe (Stubhub) if we miss out through traditional sources?

The GA booster tickets will be available later this summer.  Worst case if no tickets, you get to sit on the beach listening to Homer.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2023, 09:21:59 AM »

I’m not worried. Others who have been there always find tix. That’s good enough for me.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2023, 09:23:37 AM »
Guarded community, private pool, ocean front, a cadre of smokers

Inform the underboard that I need an invite

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2023, 09:26:14 AM »
If you’re on the fence about going, go. I’ve traveled almost everywhere in the world, and Maui is second to none. It’s great being here right now as this thread is going.

I’m sure you’re keeping an eye on todays lines-

Any action you like, Marquette related or not?

I’m heading up to Milwaukee for the double dip Marquette and Bucks games and I like laying some action during these full day sports days.

Oh and I can’t wait to watch Marquette whoop some arse

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2023, 09:31:40 PM »
Inform the underboard that I need an invite
NIT
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2023, 09:32:27 PM »
Although Benny’s self-imposed ban from Scoop remains in full force and effect, it was resolved by the Council of Bennies in a 18-15 vote (with 44 abstaining) that Benny’s Maui Primer was of “significant cultural value” exceeding Benny’s need for “significant cerebral sanity.”  So here goes:

Preamble/Disclaimers/Legal Notices/Release of Liability

Benny is not your travel agent, and he sure as hell ain’t your travel director.  This primer is on the specifics of Marquette and its participation in the Maui Invitational.  If you want travel tips or inside information on Maui that has nothing to do with the tournament, do yourself a Google.

Benny is also not affiliated with the Maui Invitational or Marquette University.  He simply enjoys #MUBB and is happy to share his experiences from 2012 and 2017 in the hopes that MU Nation turns out an even larger presence on the island in 2023.  In short, everything below that isn’t in Benny’s reasonable ability to control is subject to change.

Official Travel Package

Sold out, apparently.  Which might be why you’re reading this.

Where to Stay

The vast majority of tournament fans opt for one of the Ka’anapali hotels, with Napili a distant second place.  All of the teams stay in one of the Ka’anapali hotels, which are all connected by a beachside promenade (some of us call it a sidewalk).  Like previous years, Marquette’s team hotel is the Hyatt Regency, which is at the southern end of Ka’anapali (closest to Lahaina).

Although all of the games are played at the Lahaina Civic Center (LCC), Lahaina proper doesn’t have any major hotels; however, there are vacation homes rentals in the city and surrounding vicinity.  If you’re like Benny and prefer renting a vacation home to staying in a hotel, anything between Launiupoko and Kapalua is a good option.

While I know that some tournament fans have stayed on the south part of the island (i.e., Kihei or Wailea), Benny does not recommend this.  With no traffic, it’s upwards of a 45-minute drive, but during rush hour (yes, there is a rush hour), it will take you over an hour.  Moreover, while accidents on HI-30 aren’t typical, they’re far from unheard of, especially during holiday weekends when there’s an influx of haoles… if HI-30 has to go down to one lane (or is shut down completely), unless you left with hours to spare, plan on missing the game.
Benny did you run this through legs before posting?
Goal is National Championship

mu_eyeballs

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2023, 10:43:12 PM »
If you elect to NOT stay at the Hyatt...Can you still participate in University Events?  Pre-game, Post game?  Luau?  Are there university events?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2023, 08:16:16 AM »
If you elect to NOT stay at the Hyatt...Can you still participate in University Events?  Pre-game, Post game?  Luau?  Are there university events?

Yes to all but I am not sure that MU hosts a luau.  There are also events hosted by the tournament that fans from all schools can attend. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2023, 01:31:13 PM »
Yes to all but I am not sure that MU hosts a luau.  There are also events hosted by the tournament that fans from all schools can attend.

The pre event reception/dinner is expensive but fun.  Our host was Dakich last time but all teams are there and is a nice kick off to the event.  If you have the extra cash and I assume you do if you are gong to Maui, it is a fun event. Food is free with entrance but drinks you have to pay for.

The golf outing is not that great but fun to play anyway.  Mass is nice on the beach if you are Catholic.

After every game you can hang with the team.  Lots of fun and great memories.

Have fun to everyone who is going!  A truly great experience and I’m jealous of you.  Can’t go this time.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2023, 12:51:51 PM »
For those who dont have tickets yet, whats your plan to attend?

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2023, 02:39:50 PM »
For those who dont have tickets yet, whats your plan to attend?

Aggressively stalk the internet until I am able to procure them.  I think general tickets go on sale in early August I read somewhere, have a reminder in my calendar a few weeks before to really dig in around that time.
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2023, 04:11:40 PM »
Aggressively stalk the internet until I am able to procure them.  I think general tickets go on sale in early August I read somewhere, have a reminder in my calendar a few weeks before to really dig in around that time.
Per the Maui Invitational website, the general tickets go on sale the week of August 7th. But, they say there will be limited available and would go very quickly.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2023, 04:45:20 PM »
Let me know what you can find por favor. would be much appreciated as I am trying to go with my dad. Would be a pretty cool experience

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2023, 04:48:05 PM »
Getting tickets to the last Maui invitational was easy.  California was terrible, ND fans didn’t care because football season wasn’t over, VCU was on a downturn, Wichita State had a good fan base (Ted Lasso was there), LSU had a decent team, and Michigan was ok.  MU had one of the best fan bases. 

The field this year is loaded with fan bases that have high expectations.  I  hope you all get the tickets you need!  But could see it being difficult.  There is a tent outside the stadium where you can watch on TV and drink but knowing what is happening just 20 steps away from you would be depressing if you don’t get in.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2023, 12:54:54 PM »

There was an actual luau in 2012, but this was not actually organized by MU, it was simply a group ticket purchase by MU (in other words, it wasn't just MU there). 

In 2017, MU had a banquet on the Hyatt's outdoor terrace (same food, just without the dancing and fire).

See original posts (on pg. 1) for other updates/answers.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2023, 09:40:40 AM »
UCLA adding a 7'3 international prospect eligible this year. Should be a difficult matchup. Tests our frontcourt depth early! Season cant come soon enough

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2023, 10:09:30 AM »
UCLA adding a 7'3 international prospect eligible this year. Should be a difficult matchup. Tests our frontcourt depth early! Season cant come soon enough
We had one of those not too long ago. Youssoupha Mbao.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2023, 10:46:51 AM »
UCLA is going to struggle with PG early on with Campbell being gone. Think Kolek will dominate that game.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2023, 12:44:17 PM »
UCLA is going to struggle with PG early on with Campbell being gone. Think Kolek will dominate that game.
hes projected to be a top 5 pick. Crazy. Should be a great test regardless for oso and ben

Benny B

• All American
Re: 2023 Maui Invitational (on Honolulu) Primer
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2023, 03:36:23 PM »
This will probably be the last update on the 2023 Maui Invitational.

Be sure to tune in for Benny's 2029 Maui Invitational Primer.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback