[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Doubters Won’t Stop  (Read 5057 times)

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
The Doubters Won’t Stop
« on: February 28, 2023, 11:29:04 PM »
I listened to The Field of 68 Show After Dark tonight and they closed with a segment on the biggest. The question was raised whether MU was a Final Four contender and Mack immediately scoffed, “Nah!”  He then stalled for a minute trying to come up with a rationale and then said, “I’m just not convinced; I don’t know why.”  He then made some dumb comment about how you have to be “really elite” to make a FF.

Randolph Childress then said you have to have good guard play to make a FF run and said he didn’t see MU as top 5 in the country in that respect.

Mack then asked if anyone would take MU over UNC in an elite 8 matchup and they concluded they wouldn’t be “fooled twice.” As to the BET, they picked Creighton or Nova.

In short, “F@ck ‘em.”
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: The Doubters Won’t Stop
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 11:37:32 PM »
Childress is usually pretty complimentary. He kinda backed it up a bit and gave a more thought out answer.

Macks was weird though. Its like he took it literal in that you have to bet right now that we do in fact make the NCAA tournament. And he didn't hesitate.

Because saying we flat out cant, was simply a stupid answer.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 11:58:17 PM »
Yep, and there will be more of this.

Now that it’s a lock and Marquette is the best team in the Big East people will come out of the woodwork to compliment them on an impressive, yet shocking job well done.

The “shocking” part is what is key here.
It was very unexpected because of the preseason expectations.
Human nature is to tie in an unexpected season long result with a postseason failure to make your mind think that it was right in the first place.

So, as I’ve noted before, Marquette will be one of the huge “surprise” upset picks in the tournament, especially if they are a 3 playing a 14.
If Marquette loses at the Garden those doubters will have the fuel they need heading into selection Sunday and until the ball is tipped.
Honestly, I think it’ll be for the best for the doubters to keep doubting and make it obvious.

If Marquette doesn’t lose in NYC I think they get a 2, and no one will pick them to lose to a 15 and very few will pick them to lose to a 7, unless that 7 is someone like Kentucky or Arkansas.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 05:36:03 AM »
One of the post game TV hosts said that his one doubt about this team is that no player on the team has ever won a Big East or NCAA tournament game.  I think that's a completely fair criticism and reason to worry.

But in terms of what they can do on the court, there should be no doubt at this point

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 05:51:38 AM »
Until they show it, there will be doubters. They just have to prove them wrong.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 06:00:38 AM »
Exactly.  Like I said in reference to the trolls  and the February fade, it is an issue until it isn't.   This team has shredded expectations and cliches all year.  Enjoy the ride.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 06:06:49 AM »
Yep, and there will be more of this.

Now that it’s a lock and Marquette is the best team in the Big East people will come out of the woodwork to compliment them on an impressive, yet shocking job well done.

The “shocking” part is what is key here.
It was very unexpected because of the preseason expectations.
Human nature is to tie in an unexpected season long result with a postseason failure to make your mind think that it was right in the first place.

So, as I’ve noted before, Marquette will be one of the huge “surprise” upset picks in the tournament, especially if they are a 3 playing a 14.
If Marquette loses at the Garden those doubters will have the fuel they need heading into selection Sunday and until the ball is tipped.
Honestly, I think it’ll be for the best for the doubters to keep doubting and make it obvious.

If Marquette doesn’t lose in NYC I think they get a 2, and no one will pick them to lose to a 15 and very few will pick them to lose to a 7, unless that 7 is someone like Kentucky or Arkansas.

I know this has been debated here ad nauseam but I think this year is different as there is no one dominant team. The NCAA tournament could actually determine who is the best team.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 06:13:18 AM »
I listened to The Field of 68 Show After Dark tonight and they closed with a segment on the biggest. The question was raised whether MU was a Final Four contender and Mack immediately scoffed, “Nah!”  He then stalled for a minute trying to come up with a rationale and then said, “I’m just not convinced; I don’t know why.”  He then made some dumb comment about how you have to be “really elite” to make a FF.

Randolph Childress then said you have to have good guard play to make a FF run and said he didn’t see MU as top 5 in the country in that respect.

Mack then asked if anyone would take MU over UNC in an elite 8 matchup and they concluded they wouldn’t be “fooled twice.” As to the BET, they picked Creighton or Nova.

In short, “F@ck ‘em.”

What show is this and on what network?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2023, 06:17:18 AM »
I listened to two different podcasts yesterday where hosts picked Butler straight up over Marquette and chuckled. In the preseason, everyone saw a roster of supporting players and no big additions and expected nothing. Now, even when we've proven there's something here, they still can't quit their priors.

No one thought we could beat Baylor, then we did. No one thought this could be a top-4 Big East team, then we were. No one thought we could be ranked, now we're #6. No one thought we could win the Big East, now we're champs.

You wanna say we can't win three at MSG or games in March? Fine. This team could go to Houston and there will be people saying they can't win it all before those Saturday games tip. F**k 'em.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2023, 06:34:42 AM »
I listened to two different podcasts yesterday where hosts picked Butler straight up over Marquette and chuckled. In the preseason, everyone saw a roster of supporting players and no big additions and expected nothing. Now, even when we've proven there's something here, they still can't quit their priors.

No one thought we could beat Baylor, then we did. No one thought this could be a top-4 Big East team, then we were. No one thought we could be ranked, now we're #6. No one thought we could win the Big East, now we're champs.

You wanna say we can't win three at MSG or games in March? Fine. This team could go to Houston and there will be people saying they can't win it all before those Saturday games tip. F**k 'em.

It is the modern media mind set. Stick to the narrative. When proven wrong, double down and stick to the narrative.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2023, 06:45:47 AM »
It is the modern media mind set. Stick to the narrative. When proven wrong, double down and stick to the narrative.

It's not media, it's human nature. Being wrong is hard. This board has had doubters all year long that were skeptical and seemed to expect a February fade even as we were marching to a Big East title.

They'll come around when this team makes them come around. Been the case all year long.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2023, 06:53:34 AM »
What show is this and on what network?

The name of the show is in his first sentence, The Field of 68 After Dark. It's not on a network, it's a podcast. You can find episodes on youtube, apple, spotify, etc.

Here is last night's episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmkmtvun6ps
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 06:55:12 AM by TAMU, Knower of Ball »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 06:55:56 AM »
One of the post game TV hosts said that his one doubt about this team is that no player on the team has ever won a Big East or NCAA tournament game.  I think that's a completely fair criticism and reason to worry.

But in terms of what they can do on the court, there should be no doubt at this point

That was Jacobsen. And yes, that's fair. Oh, and he also "explained" his lack of confidence in MU early in the season (may not be exact words) "because we're a bunch of dummies".

I have a ton of confidence in this team and the M.O. that Shaka has used to knit the team so close. Knee jerk "Marquette can't win it" is BS, but specifically pointing to the experience factor is, I believe, fair.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2023, 07:12:21 AM »
Or knowingly tell lies for ratings.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2023, 07:16:57 AM »
I know this has been debated here ad nauseam but I think this year is different as there is no one dominant team. The NCAA tournament could actually determine who is the best team.

I think the “best” team in the conference is established more by a 20 game full round robin schedule than by who happens to advance further in a crapshoot single elimination tournament that can be determined by matchups and some good or bad luck.

Maybe UConn or Creighton or Xavier will advance further in the tournament, and maybe their makeup and experience makes one or more of them more likely to advance. But, it doesn’t prove they are actually the “best” team.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2023, 07:18:18 AM »
The name of the show is in his first sentence, The Field of 68 After Dark. It's not on a network, it's a podcast. You can find episodes on youtube, apple, spotify, etc.

Here is last night's episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmkmtvun6ps

SiriusXM (channel 84)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2023, 07:20:37 AM »
I’m outraged
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2023, 07:24:49 AM »
Apparently we’re good, but not “final four Good” says former BEAST coach:

https://youtu.be/kNMWBX3k7dY

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2023, 07:26:36 AM »
Apparently we’re good, but not “final four Good” says former BEAST coach:

https://youtu.be/kNMWBX3k7dY

Huh
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2023, 07:30:36 AM »
Huh

Did you click the link it’s in the freakin title of the video clip

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2023, 07:41:33 AM »
Let the doubters and naysayers about this team continue.  They’ve thrived on this kind of talk all year as motivation.  Bring it on I say, because this team will continue to prove them wrong. 

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2023, 07:41:59 AM »
I don't think people are wrong in thinking we aren't F4 material. Can we make it, sure...but I believe the history of numbers such as our Adjusted Def Efficiency would be one of the higher numbers ever to reach that mark.

Can't say we won't buck a trend, but I can't fault people for their opinion.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2023, 07:53:38 AM »
I have no problem with it. It's a reasonable take. The guys have one tournament game under their belts, and perhaps more importantly, they are so prone to some major dry spells on offense.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2023, 08:12:00 AM »
These people are paid to generate debate and interest. I could see how we’d be a popular upset pick. They can’t just project chalk.

There are many upset predictions that are wrong.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2023, 08:13:15 AM »
Let's be real for a moment.  This year's tournament is as wide open as I can ever remember.  Kansas for example just won two home games against borderline NCAA teams by a combined 6 points.  The fact is every rd of 32 game no matter where you are seeded is going to be difficult, let alone the S16 or E8.  Houston may be the exception but everyone is beatable before getting to the S16.

As far as MU I would say their chances of a deep run are on par with the other top 10-12 or so teams in the country.  If we play near our top level we are absolutely a F4 threat and this idea that we're not right there with the other favorites, as a top 6 team, is preposterous.  The only minor concern I have is that we have somewhat gone from the hunter to the hunted.  There will be some early tourney pressure in a few weeks.  That said I don't think these guys fear anyone, we have tremendous leadership from Shaka and our PG, and  the pieces and character to make a deep run are quite visible to those with normal eyesight. 

feedback