[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Goose was right again  (Read 5726 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Goose was right again
« on: February 25, 2023, 10:58:45 PM »
A month a so ago we were talking about MU's best NBA prospect.  Obviously things can change but you can see a potential star emerging with Ben Gold.  He is way, way, ahead of where I thought he'd be right now.  When you look at his overall skill-set and his size?  The young man has an outstanding first-step and is comfortable shooting from deep. I'm curious how much weight and strength he can put on.   What a brilliant pick-up for Shaka and MU. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 06:49:50 AM by MuggsyB »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: Goose was right again
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 11:05:06 PM »
A month a so ago we were talking about MU's best NBA prospect.  Obviously things can change but you can see a potential star emerging with Ben Gold.  He is way, way, ahead of where I thought he'd be right now.  When you look at his overall skill-set and his size?  The young man has an outstanding first-step and is comfortable shooting from deep. I'm curious how much weight and strength can put on.   What a brilliant pick-up for Shaka and MU.

Agree Muggs.  I just posted about him in the game summary thread.  I never thought he’d be part of rotation this year.  Figured it would either be or be like a redshirt season for him. But he provides critical minutes when needed. 

That said, I really feel Chase and Kam are our best NBA prospects.  Chase is going to be a stud I believe.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 11:17:43 PM »
There have been many people aboard the Kiwi-mobile. It's really an obvious pick. There's also room for athletic near seven-footers who can shoot the three
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 12:15:15 AM »
Gold has plenty of work to put in but he possesses some special abilities for a guy his size. Looking forward to him developing with this same crew over the next few years. It would be great to have him practice similar abilities to Oso. A ball handling big who can pass as well. Triple threat at 6'11.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2023, 05:57:04 AM »
Might be tough for Oso to get minutes next year...
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 05:59:57 AM »
He’s taller, but he reminds me of the potential that Franz Wagner had at Michigan. A good athlete with good ball skills and shooting ability.

Add some strength and he will be a pro prospect.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 06:46:12 AM »
ben is looking more and more comfortable.  with that, his game is improving which means our game is improving.  this gives us so many more options.  not just giving oso a break or oso in foul trouble, but an inside/outside presence playing together.

i could've missed this situation, but has anyone noticed shaka playing oso-ben-omax together with different combinations of TK, kam and stevie? sprinkled in with some sean, chase and jop.

the other team and/or game situations would have to present the right opportunities, but in small bursts, this could present other teams with some real match up concerns.  if shaka hit them unexpectedly like switches from man to zone, i would love to see this work like a stunt play, then get out of it and go back to his more traditional lines.  keep em guessing...
don't...don't don't don't don't

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2023, 06:56:26 AM »
He’s taller, but he reminds me of the potential that Franz Wagner had at Michigan. A good athlete with good ball skills and shooting ability.

Add some strength and he will be a pro prospect.

That's a good comparison but I Ihink he's quicker on the downhill power dribble.   I see him as a guy who can play inside or out by next season.  It doesn't suck to have a 7 footer on your roster with a varied skill set that can score on pick and pops or in the mid/low post.  He's a much better athlete than I realized early in the year.   

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2023, 06:57:00 AM »
Oso and Ben together wasn't great.

But Ben has actually has adjusted to the speed of the game quite nicely. He does need to add some strength. This will be a big off-season for him and Todd Smith.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2023, 07:40:22 AM »
That's a good comparison but I Ihink he's quicker on the downhill power dribble.   I see him as a guy who can play inside or out by next season.  It doesn't suck to have a 7 footer on your roster with a varied skill set that can score on pick and pops or in the mid/low post.  He's a much better athlete than I realized early in the year.

I think Wagner is pretty quick going to the basket and was a better finisher.

Part of the comparison comes with the hope that Gold can repeat the path from raw, but talented, freshman to high quality sophomore that Wagner did. Even then Wagner didn’t seem quite ready for the NBA, but he has made the transition quite well.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2023, 07:51:11 AM »
TAMU

I think the Ben bandwagon is growing in size, but I think a month ago it was a small crew. I think you, Elon and I were the the ones willing to share our thoughts in a post. If memory serves me, I was told I might be a minority of one that thought Ben was a future NBA guy.

For the record, I think Ben has a wide range of skills, size, basketball IQ and an edge to him. I think his ceiling is even higher than I did a month ago.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2023, 07:55:25 AM »
TAMU

I think the Ben bandwagon is growing in size, but I think a month ago it was a small crew. I think you, Elon and I were the the ones willing to share our thoughts in a post. If memory serves me, I was told I might be a minority of one that thought Ben was a future NBA guy.

For the record, I think Ben has a wide range of skills, size, basketball IQ and an edge to him. I think his ceiling is even higher than I did a month ago.

And of course, close does not count, but his missed 3 point attempts were not that far off. He will get better at them. It took a while for him to get comfortable with the speed and aggressiveness of BE bball, but he's there now.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2023, 08:24:36 AM »
TAMU

I didn't doubt you Goose.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2023, 08:31:07 AM »
Oso and Ben together wasn't great.

But Ben has actually has adjusted to the speed of the game quite nicely. He does need to add some strength. This will be a big off-season for him and Todd Smith.

True, but now it’s one more thing tournament teams will have to plan for. With limited time to prep, it adds another wrinkle they have to account for.

When you see Ben make an impressive move, you can’t help but look forward to the day he does that regularly.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2023, 08:34:46 AM »
Ben had a decent game vs DePaul.  Blocked some shots, rebound, got some points….. one of 4 from 3 but that is a question of playing more and growing your confidence I. The shot.  They were not all that bad - close misses.   

He is versatile as well, and can handle the ball well, dribble drive and more.  He can be a big piece going forward.   Hope he sticks with Marquette - really like Ben.   
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 12:54:31 PM by Daniel »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2023, 08:36:48 AM »
True, but now it’s one more thing tournament teams will have to plan for. With limited time to prep, it adds another wrinkle they have to account for.

When you see Ben make an impressive move, you can’t help but look forward to the day he does that regularly.

What exactly do you have to plan for?  You guard Oso with your post and you guard Ben with a wing.  It's not like the combo unlocked some super secret offense or something.

Now, the five out small ball offense is something that is effective and something that teams most definitely are going to have to plan for.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2023, 08:37:28 AM »
TAMU

There definitely were a handful of posters here who posted things to the effect of:  "I don't see it with Gold."  As in his talent/potential.  Though it seemed that was the minority viewpoint.  Most here were very neutral.  As you pointed out Goose, a few of us were very bullish on Ben.  Not to mention Shaka has said he has a really high ceiling, perhaps the highest on the team, which I agree with.  He's a much better athlete/quick twitch than what is the norm for a white basketball player.  Very coordinated for his size.  Good footwork around the basket.  Form on his jumper is good.  He will evolve into a very good rebounder as well.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2023, 08:38:11 AM »
There definitely were a handful of posters here who posted things to the effect of:  "I don't see it with Gold."  As in his talent/potential.  Though it seemed that was the minority viewpoint.  Most here were very neutral.  As you pointed out Goose, a few of us were very bullish on Ben.  Not to mention Shaka has said he has a really high ceiling, perhaps the highest on the team, which I agree with.  He's a much better athlete/quick twitch than what is the norm for a white basketball player.  Very coordinated for his size.  Good footwork around the basket.  Form on his jumper is good.  He will evolve into a very good rebounder as well.

Gym rat, too
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2023, 08:49:48 AM »
Gym rat, too

Speaking of cliches - Does Kolek remind you of Diener? 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2023, 08:50:53 AM »
Speaking of cliches - Does Kolek remind you of Diener?

No

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2023, 08:54:08 AM »
I think Ben is long, athletic, and skilled.  I always have.  I think that his was a larger adjustment than most.   He didn't play a lot against skilled competition thanks to the pandemic.    He is halfway around the world from home.  So his learning curve has been steeper.
    Plus, he is a freshman big.   He has been hot and cold, like a lot of freshmen.  But he has shown flashes and progress and given some really good minutes.   Yesterday was really good.   His future is bright.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2023, 08:57:42 AM »
I think Ben is long, athletic, and skilled.  I always have.  I think that his was a larger adjustment than most.   He didn't play a lot against skilled competition thanks to the pandemic.    He is halfway around the world from home.  So his learning curve has been steeper.
    Plus, he is a freshman big.   He has been hot and cold, like a lot of freshmen.  But he has shown flashes and progress and given some really good minutes.   Yesterday was really good.   His future is bright.

One of his KenPom comps is Freshman Frank Kaminsky

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2023, 09:10:31 AM »

Interesting comparison. 

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2023, 09:24:37 AM »
The sky is the limit for Ben, and I think so highly of him that I would be extremely disappointed if he wasn’t an elite starting versatile big after Osos career is over at Marquette.

I’m still not quite there on if he will be an All Big East player, but he’s definitely got the skills and ability to do so if he continues to work hard, build muscle and strength, and develops/diversifies his offensive game.

He’s much more athletic than I expected, he’s got a surprisingly impressive athleticism to him. I should have expected that with the elite rugby background.
When all is said and done, his defense is what will make the difference and how elite he becomes at Marquette, because that is what will get him on the court in Shakas system.
If he stays on the court for Oso type minutes at some point in his career, how much he develops that outside shot will be the difference in if he becomes all BE caliber. Like every other player at Marquette going forward, he will have a lot of competition for minutes and that’s probably good for him.

Let’s segue to this season though.
Ben has looked good of late, but the guy that’s a bit under the radar that has impressed me the most lately is Sean Jones. I see his vision and passing ability improving by leaps and bounds, and his decision making improving game by game.
If I had to pick one frosh, and it’s not an easy choice to make because the bench will shrink over the next 6-11 games, that will make the biggest difference at the most important point in the season I would go with Sean Jones.

I’ve said this before, but at some point in an elimination game the rubber will meet the road and Marquettes defense will stagnate. At that point, I think that Sean might be the surprise spark/key to open things up and have a performance that helps save Marquettes season. He’s lightning, he’s getting better, and he’s one of MUs best weapons against good, organized, athletic/long defenses that like to slow the game down.

As always, Coach Shaka will know who to use and when to use them, and the rotation will definitely shrink, but my instinct says that SJ22 will make a difference when we least expect it.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2023, 10:04:10 AM »

Their numbers may be similar but they don’t seem to have the same skills.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 10:13:03 AM by wisblue »

feedback