[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Goose was right again  (Read 5723 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Goose was right again
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2023, 10:27:07 AM »
Their numbers may be similar but they don’t seem to have the same skills.

No, but they’re both white
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2023, 10:48:05 AM »
No, but they’re both white

Ben may be a smaller Wembanyama?

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2023, 11:13:10 AM »
There definitely were a handful of posters here who posted things to the effect of:  "I don't see it with Gold."  As in his talent/potential.  Though it seemed that was the minority viewpoint.  Most here were very neutral.  As you pointed out Goose, a few of us were very bullish on Ben.  Not to mention Shaka has said he has a really high ceiling, perhaps the highest on the team, which I agree with.  He's a much better athlete/quick twitch than what is the norm for a white basketball player.  Very coordinated for his size.  Good footwork around the basket.  Form on his jumper is good.  He will evolve into a very good rebounder as well.
I will confess I was one of those handful of posters. I thought he seemed kind of lost out there. I guess I just forgot he is a freshman and will improve. I’ve seen dramatic improvement and I’m delighted I appear to be wrong about him.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2023, 11:40:00 AM »
If you follow FIBA basketball it was easy to see. 18-19 year old boy playing with national team against seasoned older basketball players and looking good, 6pt & 3 rebounds per game.
Goal is National Championship

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2023, 01:05:49 PM »
On top of his size and skill, Ben has an awesome nasty streak to his game. It’s one of my favorite parts of watching him play around the basket.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2023, 01:15:12 PM »
Ben was a -11 yesterday, and season-long when Oso sits, it's a problem. The bench got a run yesterday and it wasn't pretty, especially on D. Much more is expected. 

Outscored in the 2nd 56-41.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2023, 01:23:31 PM »
Ben may be a smaller Wembanyama?
Chilllll
No Finish Line

Goose

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2023, 01:26:13 PM »
Dr. B

There is no doubt Ben is a work in progress and is not even close to a finished product. That said, with Shaka's history of working with big men, I believe Ben has the tools needed to be a high impact player down the road. By no means am I advocating for him to become a much bigger part of this year's rotation. That said, I would be disappointed if he was not a big part of the rotation next season.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2023, 03:37:49 PM »
Been a Gold fan for awhile but really in the “as compared to Joplin” and also not in a G2NBA. I should have appreciated him on his own merits. I’ve always thought he is sneaky athletic, has a shot that is easy and compact mechanically, plays solid on and off ball defense, is a finisher at the rim, and has “personality” as we call it in our house (edge). I think he could be very good, is he Oso, I’m not sure, I think he’s different. Time will tell.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2023, 04:42:23 PM »
I think many people have said Gold has the biggest upside of the freshmen and that started with Shaka.  More people have jumped on the bandwagon as the season has gone on and have wanted more playing time for him.  Huge offseason coming up for the young man.  Adding muscle and skill development should lead to a break out season next year.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2023, 04:50:40 PM »
The fact we have three freshman that can contribute minutes and on both ends of the floor is a great sign for recruiting and coaching/skill development. 

Notable advancement by all three this year.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2023, 05:00:55 PM »
I know Harry Frohling and Ben Gold is no Harry Frohling.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2023, 05:10:59 PM »
More people have jumped on the bandwagon as the season has gone on.

Shooter

I know you’re talking about Ben Gold but there are a lot of bandwagons (Shaka, Kolek, the team) that have gotten crowded as the season has unfolded.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2023, 09:55:49 PM »
Shooter

I know you’re talking about Ben Gold but there are a lot of bandwagons (Shaka, Kolek, the team) that have gotten crowded as the season has unfolded.

Agreed Lenny.  What an incredible turn of events after the previous regime (thank you bloggers).  Shaka was a stroke of genius.  Kudos to Scholl and the big donors for that (as well as Goose for driving the hype train). I’m enjoying this ride for as long as it lasts.  I have manipulated my work schedule to be off for the final four this year just in case!  Maui is in the plans as well.  Go MU!

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2023, 11:41:05 PM »
I know Harry Frohling and Ben Gold is no Harry Frohling.

lol got me good.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

MU90620

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2023, 04:22:00 AM »
I’m a little surprised that the possibility that Gold is the guy that is not coming back next year is never discussed here. The NBL in Australia is one of the better leagues in the world.  It is stable, It pays well and it has reciprocity with New Zealand so he wouldn’t take up one of the foreign exemptions each team is allotted. I would think he would be very attractive to that league.

From his standpoint, it’s much closer to home, no school requirements (unless that aspect is important to him) and he still has a path to the NBA playing Summer League. I would imagine his development would be at worst equal playing in one of the better professional leagues in the world.

I haven’t heard anything but it seems like a possibility. Before this season started Shaka was obviously operating under the assumption that someone was leaving. Other than leaving for unhappiness, which can’t be predicted, I don’t see anyone else on the team that was a lock for a better basketball option than college ball back in November.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2023, 06:25:21 AM »
I’m a little surprised that the possibility that Gold is the guy that is not coming back next year is never discussed here. The NBL in Australia is one of the better leagues in the world.  It is stable, It pays well and it has reciprocity with New Zealand so he wouldn’t take up one of the foreign exemptions each team is allotted. I would think he would be very attractive to that league.

From his standpoint, it’s much closer to home, no school requirements (unless that aspect is important to him) and he still has a path to the NBA playing Summer League. I would imagine his development would be at worst equal playing in one of the better professional leagues in the world.

I haven’t heard anything but it seems like a possibility. Before this season started Shaka was obviously operating under the assumption that someone was leaving. Other than leaving for unhappiness, which can’t be predicted, I don’t see anyone else on the team that was a lock for a better basketball option than college ball back in November.

This deserves a bump from the stand point I’m not sure this has been discussed much if at all.  That being said, holy possible changes of scenarios Batman!   Ben could either parlay his recent improvements to continuing to get a nice education here while adding to his resume OR essentially going pro while continuing to hone his skills.  It depends on how much he values an education but the experience he is realizing now, especially with the teams good fortunes cannot be easily dismissed.  Could he be in line for some NIL $$ in order to sweeten his stay here? 

don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2023, 07:20:48 AM »
Australia's NBL is not really considered one of the better leagues. The top players from Australia (Bogut, Longley, Dellavedova, Patty Mills, etc.) have all used the NCAA as their springboard to the NBA. If he decides to turn pro, he would be better going to one of the top leagues in Europe if his ultimate goal is the NBA.

Froling went back to the NBL because he just isn't a very good player. Gold is way better.  I'm honestly not all that worried about Gold.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 07:30:06 AM by The Sultan of Semantics »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2023, 07:55:49 AM »
Chilllll

Do you think I was actually serious that he's a mini Wemby? 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2023, 08:04:51 AM »
If Shaka knew Ben was potentially leaving…..he would have recruited differently for next year. He would not go into a season with jop as Oso’s backup.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2023, 08:07:28 AM »
Keeyan, not Jop
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2023, 08:09:32 AM »
This deserves a bump from the stand point I’m not sure this has been discussed much if at all.  That being said, holy possible changes of scenarios Batman!   Ben could either parlay his recent improvements to continuing to get a nice education here while adding to his resume OR essentially going pro while continuing to hone his skills.  It depends on how much he values an education but the experience he is realizing now, especially with the teams good fortunes cannot be easily dismissed.  Could he be in line for some NIL $$ in order to sweeten his stay here?

Could be wrong but heard on a podcast foreign players somehow aren't eligible for NIL because visa stuff
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2023, 08:14:51 AM »
Could be wrong but heard on a podcast foreign players somehow aren't eligible for NIL because visa stuff

Yep. Students here on an F-1 student visa can only work on campus.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2023, 08:33:54 AM »
The Bureau of Consular Affairs hates Marquette.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2023, 12:37:10 PM »
Do you think I was actually serious that he's a mini Wemby?
You’re very enthusiastic so I wasn’t sure 😂
No Finish Line