[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: EV's  (Read 20562 times)

WarriorFan

• All American
Re: EV's
« Reply #475 on: April 15, 2024, 05:00:50 AM »
Have you ever seen a coal mine?
Been in hundreds of them, all over the world.  Most reclaim as they go these days, returning the land to it's prior state or better when the mine is finished.
Also been in some bad ones, and they are a blight equal to the wind and solar farms... but much smaller.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #476 on: April 15, 2024, 05:15:10 AM »
Blight.   The only good thing about driving into NW Ohio is seeing windmills rising up out of the otherwise featureless farmland.
I look at a cloverleaf ramp on an interstate and wonder why they don't have solar panels in the wasteland inside the loop.  Or on the roofs covering the pumps at gas stations. Or on the roofs of those buildings at the oases on the Ohio turnpike.  Imagine powering the chargers with solar generated on site.  Otherwise unused roofs on skyscrapers.  So, one person's blight is another's opportunity.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #477 on: April 15, 2024, 08:14:41 AM »
Musk lays off 10% of Tesla's workforce.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/4089502-tesla-confirms-layoffs-of-more-than-10-of-its-global-workforce

But don't worry. He can always sell more TSLA to keep the lights on at the social media company he overpaid for and didn't actually want.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #478 on: April 15, 2024, 09:08:40 AM »
I will say, I'm shocked at the ire windmills and solar farms draw from those in the midwest.   

This happened near my childhood hometown, nobody was hurt, or even close to getting hurt, but the response was:

https://www.13abc.com/2024/01/23/all-one-energy-wind-turbines-shut-down-after-blade-falls-off-turbine-findlay/
she’s worried about her kids’ safety in the future.

“It’s a huge safety hazard, I don’t want my kids growing up around this,”

::)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #479 on: April 15, 2024, 09:18:27 AM »
I get it. When you now have this instead of the previous countryside it can look "blighted."

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8827395,-88.2624498,3a,65.5y,218.21h,83.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJjxbJx0kYMEKhU0tpDGZgQ!2e0!7i3328!8i1664?hl=en&entry=ttu

That being said, that doesn't mean its bad for society to "blight" certain areas for the sake of energy generation.  I would rather have that, than this:

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #480 on: April 15, 2024, 09:28:38 AM »
I will say, I'm shocked at the ire windmills and solar farms draw from those in the midwest.   

This happened near my childhood hometown, nobody was hurt, or even close to getting hurt, but the response was:

https://www.13abc.com/2024/01/23/all-one-energy-wind-turbines-shut-down-after-blade-falls-off-turbine-findlay/

Right?

No safety hazards are all with other forms of energy generation.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #481 on: April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 AM »
Right?

No safety hazards are all with other forms of energy generation.

Nobody has ever been killed by coal, nor has any animal. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #482 on: April 15, 2024, 09:50:06 AM »
Nobody has ever been killed by coal, nor has any animal.
A lot of people are killed each year in unreported solar leaks and wind spills. They just don't want you to know about it. The real studies show this, but They have repressed them-won't let them be published. The real numbers will come out, any day now.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #483 on: April 15, 2024, 11:03:49 AM »
Blight.   The only good thing about driving into NW Ohio is seeing windmills rising up out of the otherwise featureless farmland.
I look at a cloverleaf ramp on an interstate and wonder why they don't have solar panels in the wasteland inside the loop.  Or on the roofs covering the pumps at gas stations. Or on the roofs of those buildings at the oases on the Ohio turnpike.  Imagine powering the chargers with solar generated on site.  Otherwise unused roofs on skyscrapers.  So, one person's blight is another's opportunity.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for solar on rooftops and anywhere else that's possible.  I struggle when it's suddenly more important than farmland or open space.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #484 on: April 15, 2024, 11:23:52 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for solar on rooftops and anywhere else that's possible.  I struggle when it's suddenly more important than farmland or open space.

You can grow native prairie underneath solar, way better use of land than monoculture corn for federally subsidized ethanol production.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #485 on: April 15, 2024, 06:12:51 PM »

Lots of effective propaganda. Those coal and steel jobs ain’t coming back. But windmill techs are the fastest growing job in America not requiring a 4 year degree. In predominantly rural areas.

Too woke though

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #486 on: April 15, 2024, 07:11:05 PM »
Lots of effective propaganda. Those coal and steel jobs ain’t coming back. But windmill techs are the fastest growing job in America not requiring a 4 year degree. In predominantly rural areas.

Too woke though
I don't care how much money they offered me, I would never take a job servicing one of those whale murdering machines in west Texas.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #487 on: April 15, 2024, 07:43:47 PM »
I don't care how much money they offered me, I would never take a job servicing one of those whale murdering machines in west Texas.

I think you misunderstood, that's not what whale hunters are doing in San Antonio.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #488 on: April 16, 2024, 06:25:54 AM »

my home in Az came with roof top solar.  my neighbor hates when he sees the electric meter zooming backwards as he checks our place while we are gone; racking up the $$ we get back from power company.  so he's getting solar placed on his roof now and he's a life long Arizonian
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #489 on: April 16, 2024, 08:53:36 AM »
my home in Az came with roof top solar.  my neighbor hates when he sees the electric meter zooming backwards as he checks our place while we are gone; racking up the $$ we get back from power company.  so he's getting solar placed on his roof now and he's a life long Arizonian

Does your utility actually send you money?  I got a quote for installing last year, but CO (Xcel) just credits you the kWh you produce on your bill**.  I already have a large negative balance because of a heat pump install credit, so I need to wait about another year until that gets used up.   

** There is apparently an option for cash-out at the end of every year, but it's also only the "wholesale" rate.  Plus, I have exclusively electric heat, so December pay out vs Dec solar production makes no sense in CO.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #490 on: April 16, 2024, 09:07:53 AM »
You can grow native prairie underneath solar, way better use of land than monoculture corn for federally subsidized ethanol production.

A comparatively small portion of U.S. corn becomes ethanol. Much more becomes steaks, roasts, burgers, fried chicken, sausage, hams, etc.

Where's the beef?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #491 on: April 16, 2024, 09:12:49 AM »
A comparatively small portion of U.S. corn becomes ethanol. Much more becomes steaks, roasts, burgers, fried chicken, sausage, hams, etc.

Where's the beef?

29.6% is small?
https://ncga.com/world-of-corn-iframe/#corn-usage-by-segment

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #492 on: April 16, 2024, 09:15:04 AM »

Where's the beef?
This google bit says 40%
https://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/pub-details/?pubid=105761#:~:text=Ethanol%20manufacturers%20use%20about%2040,the%20domestic%20transportation%20fuel%20market.
Ethanol manufacturers use about 40 percent of the U.S. corn crop for ethanol and related co-products, with the majority of the ethanol being consumed in the domestic transportation fuel market.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #493 on: April 16, 2024, 09:22:33 AM »
And to wonder why a corn farm might go solar (I don't have a good way to double check these figures):

https://smallbiztrends.com/solar-farm-income-per-acre/
On average, reports suggest that a solar farm can generate between $21,250 and $42,500 per acre annually. However, these figures can fluctuate based on the specific circumstances of each solar farm.

Vs...
https://www.farmprogress.com/commentary/crops-look-profitable-for-2023
For corn, the baseline’s 2023 yields of 181.5 bushels per acre and $5.70 average cash price received spells revenues of $1034.

Solar is much more profitable.  I think I'd put up panels too!

edit:  Yes, I know profit is not quite accurate, since I don't have those numbers.  But even household break-even on solar is 8-10 years, with a 25+ year expected panel life.   I'd expect break-even on a  large installation to be even less.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 09:30:16 AM by rocky_warrior »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #494 on: April 16, 2024, 09:28:14 AM »
I think you misunderstood, that's not what whale hunters are doing in San Antonio.

Shout out Charles Barkley

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #495 on: April 16, 2024, 09:30:21 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #496 on: April 16, 2024, 02:32:46 PM »
You can grow corn under wind turbines and get annuity payments for the land usage too.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #497 on: April 16, 2024, 06:57:03 PM »
Does your utility actually send you money?  I got a quote for installing last year, but CO (Xcel) just credits you the kWh you produce on your bill**.  I already have a large negative balance because of a heat pump install credit, so I need to wait about another year until that gets used up.   

** There is apparently an option for cash-out at the end of every year, but it's also only the "wholesale" rate.  Plus, I have exclusively electric heat, so December pay out vs Dec solar production makes no sense in CO.

no cash back, but credit off our bills moving forward.  so some months our bill is like $3.00 or something.  this essentially pays for us to heat pool and for free as the heater runs off of electric and not directly from the roof as some seem to think.

heat the pool you may think?  we are down there a lot from November thru February.  as some of the night time temps can get to freezing or below, then 80-85-90 during the day, we want to use the pool and hot tub.  we haven't been down there much if at all june-august, but i've heard people will actually put ice blocks into their pools in order to cool them down enough to make them refreshing.  our pool heater will actually reverse heat and cool the pool down if needed. 

the house came with a leased system when we bought 6 years ago.  it was owned by Tesla.  not sure if any relationship with car company.  our lease payment is like $40/month, but last year they came by and replaced all the panels with more energy efficient ones=win/win for "free" 
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #498 on: April 16, 2024, 07:42:14 PM »
  no cash back, but credit off our bills moving forward.  so some months our bill is like $3.00 or something.  this essentially pays for us to heat pool and for free as the heater runs off of electric and not directly from the roof as some seem to think.

heat the pool you may think? 

Hah, I get it.  I've been to the desert in winter, nights get chilly!

Sounds like the system works like here.  In CO, I'd generate a lot of extra kWh "credits" during the summer, and use most of them for heating in the winter.   The way they were going to size the system, I'd likely never have to pay for electric again (120% of my previous years usage).

Upfront cost is a bit high, but value of the house increases almost the same amount, and as I mentioned, will pay for itself (literally) in 8-10 years.  Haven't looked at leasing, though I suppose I should. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #499 on: April 17, 2024, 07:23:15 AM »
From Seeking Alpha:

There are anecdotal reports that Tesla has delayed some Cybertruck deliveries. There are also videos being circulated on the Cybertruck Owners Club forum about certain issues with the accelerator pedal.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback