[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: EV's  (Read 21298 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: EV's
« Reply #450 on: April 06, 2024, 08:41:57 AM »
TSmith

I am happy that you feel we are in a strong economy and you have not had any hardships, concerns over cost of living and prosperity. That said, there might be people in our country that have not been so lucky and those are people I am concerned for their well being.
Like I mentioned to 4ever, I hope there are 10’s of millions of people out there today spending as much money as possible driving the economy. Only a fxxkin idiot would not want a strong economy.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #451 on: April 06, 2024, 08:49:50 AM »
TSmith

I am happy that you feel we are in a strong economy and you have not had any hardships, concerns over cost of living and prosperity. That said, there might be people in our country that have not been so lucky and those are people I am concerned for their well being.
Like I mentioned to 4ever, I hope there are 10’s of millions of people out there today spending as much money as possible driving the economy. Only a fxxkin idiot would not want a strong economy.

On a serious note, you’re right Goose, only a fxxkin idiot would not want a strong economy.

Sadly, people from both sides of the spectrum would be just fine with a bad economy and real hardships on people if it scored political points.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #452 on: April 06, 2024, 08:54:59 AM »
Rico

What makes me laugh, for some reason folks on here think that my take on the economy has a political slant. I could not care less about the government and feel they do more harm than good in regards to the economy. I have felt the government has fxxkrd up in letting the economy drive itself since 9/11, and especially since the Great Recession. I think they all suck.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #453 on: April 06, 2024, 09:00:13 AM »
Rico

What makes me laugh, for some reason folks on here think that my take on the economy has a political slant. I could not care less about the government and feel they do more harm than good in regards to the economy. I have felt the government has fxxkrd up in letting the economy drive itself since 9/11, and especially since the Great Recession. I think they all suck.

Well, they do all suck, so you are correct!
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #454 on: April 06, 2024, 09:03:19 AM »
Higher Gas prices controlled by market supply and demand factors that ignorant people think is the President’s fault doesn’t make that the case though?

Ordinarily, I might agree with you on a microeconomic level.

However, when the current administration cuts off avenues of supply by eliminating certain transnational pipelines, pursues policies that reduce opportunities for tapping and shipping new supplies of crude oil and uses its regulatory powers to discourage refining investment, then yes, the CAGR in gasoline prices rests squarely on the Administration's shoulders.

Look no further than the Administration's use of the Strategic Petroleum reserve to stabilize prices as Exhibit "A" in the government's direct efforts to manipulate the price of gasoline.

You cannot legislate an end to America's gasoline addiction. Using the SPR is clear evidence that this is a fact!

Gasoline in 2024 is the optimal fuel for personal ground transportation. While we can be dreamy about what we might be able to do with electricity, hydrogen and other renewable sources, none offers the range, efficiency and flexibility that gasoline does today. To put it in an economic sense, there does not exist in 2024 a perfect substitute for gasoline. We need to keep trying but that's a long way off!

Without gasoline, life as we know it would be impossible!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 09:27:17 AM by dgies9156 »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #455 on: April 06, 2024, 09:37:19 AM »
Fluff

There is no better evidence in judging life than observing life around you. The smartest business people I know have some of the simplest methods for judging the economy. Hell, Warren Buffet watches the sales of men’s underwear as a guide on the economy. But, I know you are far more sophisticated in your knowledge of the economy.

Yeah. You ain’t Warren Buffet.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 09:42:07 AM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #456 on: April 06, 2024, 09:43:47 AM »
TSmith

Huh. Sounded to me like you were worried about the plight of high net worth individuals that had to forego purchasing new luxury automobiles. But it's the little guys you are worried about.

That's nice.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #457 on: April 06, 2024, 09:48:30 AM »
Ordinarily, I might agree with you on a microeconomic level.

However, when the current administration cuts off avenues of supply by eliminating certain transnational pipelines, pursues policies that reduce opportunities for tapping and shipping new supplies of crude oil and uses its regulatory powers to discourage refining investment, then yes, the CAGR in gasoline prices rests squarely on the Administration's shoulders.

Sigh.

United States produces more crude oil than any country, ever
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=61545#:~:text=Crude%20oil%20production%20in%20the,than%2013.3%20million%20b%2Fd.

"Crude oil production in the United States, including condensate, averaged 12.9 million barrels per day (b/d) in 2023, breaking the previous U.S. and global record of 12.3 million b/d, set in 2019. Average monthly U.S. crude oil production established a monthly record high in December 2023 at more than 13.3 million b/d.-- Mar 11, 2024"

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #458 on: April 06, 2024, 09:53:42 AM »
Rico

Great call. Uncle Julio’s at Brookfield Square. If you decide to dine there, bring your own Corona and wine, because they were out of stock last night. It might be a good idea to bring along your own staff as well.

I do realize that you would not slum it by going there, but just in case I wanted to give you fair warning. FYI, if you seeing a guy outside burning $250 that would be me, it would be a better use of the money than I experienced last night.

So maybe it not being well run rather than the economy was the reason it was empty.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #459 on: April 06, 2024, 10:06:03 AM »
Sigh.

United States produces more crude oil than any country, ever
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=61545#:~:text=Crude%20oil%20production%20in%20the,than%2013.3%20million%20b%2Fd.

"Crude oil production in the United States, including condensate, averaged 12.9 million barrels per day (b/d) in 2023, breaking the previous U.S. and global record of 12.3 million b/d, set in 2019. Average monthly U.S. crude oil production established a monthly record high in December 2023 at more than 13.3 million b/d.-- Mar 11, 2024"

But is it enough?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #460 on: April 06, 2024, 10:06:10 AM »
So maybe it not being well run rather than the economy was the reason it was empty.
No. A popular Mexican restaurant that wasn't actually that popular, was staffed poorly, provided a bad experience and was a waste of money proves that the economy really isn't doing as well as the macroeconomic numbers would indicate.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #461 on: April 06, 2024, 10:08:51 AM »
TSmith

I guess my point was that if wealthy people are cutting back that others might be as well. More importantly, those that are less fortunate could be suffering if that is the case.

You can believe whatever you want to believe and take my words anyway you chose to take them. There is not a day that goes by that I do not thank God for my life and pray for those that are struggling, either with mental illness, health, financial hardship or any hardship in their lives. I am far more concerned for anyone experiencing struggles in life over spending cutbacks of the wealthy.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #462 on: April 06, 2024, 10:11:59 AM »
But is it enough?
I'd check with the oil & gas companies who have over 6,000 approved permits that they aren't using.

Why? Because it isn't economically feasible for them to develop them at current and projected crude prices. They aren't dummies.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 10:35:58 AM by TSmith34, Inc. »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #463 on: April 06, 2024, 10:17:23 AM »
Fluff

Your original post was correct, I am dumb. I will go one step further, I am so fxxkin stupid that I believed I could have an opinion that could be stated and not be ridiculed. It is strange, but I do not believe that I have insulted or ridiculed anyone that has a different take on the economy. Like I said, I appreciate other opinions and like to learn from them.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #464 on: April 06, 2024, 10:25:05 AM »
Fluff

There is no better evidence in judging life than observing life around you. The smartest business people I know have some of the simplest methods for judging the economy. Hell, Warren Buffet watches the sales of men’s underwear as a guide on the economy. But, I know you are far more sophisticated in your knowledge of the economy.
Agreed.  I am making a college visit/open house with my high school junior.  The school we are visiting had there all time biggest freshmen class last year.  They no longer have dorm space for their sophomores and above.
    I cut short the family spring break in order to attend this.    Wandering around downtown Baltimore, Annapolis,  Alexandria, the streets and the shops were active on weekdays, in the rain, in an off week for their tourism.    Traffic jams are the norm, as so many people were racing to and from work or appointments.
   I see businesses opening and closing.   My neighborhood is empty on weekdays, except for other retirees.  Everyone of working age is working.   Home Depot/Lowes are out the door on the weekends, as home projects are still happening.
   There are headwinds.   There always are.  Wars.  Pandemics.  Big boats hitting bridges.   The true American secret is resilience.   Figuring it out and fighting through. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #465 on: April 06, 2024, 10:30:19 AM »
tower

Good stuff there. I hope your high school junior considers attending MU, I believe they would welcome another student into their incoming class.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #466 on: April 06, 2024, 10:34:50 AM »
I'd check with the oil & gas companies who have over 6,000 approved permits that they aren't using.

Why? Because it isn't economically feasible for them to develop them at current and projected crude prices.

And a reminder that oil is a global market and that the U.S. alone doesn't control supply or demand.

Oil prices just rose above $90 — here's how they could get to $100
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/oil-prices-just-rose-above-90--heres-how-they-could-get-to-100-152901669.html?.tsrc=372&segment_id=330379&bt_user_id=lgs71KzEcT97NuUqbH2KpaJSMZjF3CC56WmSdiTYzmDQsA92WghljpbXwh9EZvfD88haV6tHd9G64X26qxB5vCu8wat5s3WcjgOzVqSSjVPQ%2BGBG7Q4b3ObjNzduAWBH&bt_ts=1712397634803

"West Texas Intermediate (CL=F) futures were trading above $86 while Brent (BZ=F) rose above $91 per barrel, their highest levels since October. The international benchmark futures rose more than 1% in the prior session, closing above the key level of $90 amid signs of an escalation in the Middle East.

“There are a lot of geopolitical reasons to be concerned about supply risks," Claudio Galimberti, senior vice president at Rystad Energy, told Yahoo Finance this week of oil's upward price trend.

Galimberti points to continued production cuts from oil alliance OPEC+ and Ukrainian drone attacks on Russian refineries as the major catalysts pushing prices toward $100 in the next few months.

“Russia is a major oil producer. So the moment you have potentially 500,000, [or] a million barrels a day temporarily impacted — this is when you can see oil prices notch up potentially another $5, $10, and then you are in triple digits,” said Galimberti.

To be sure, the analyst notes that ample spare capacity, or the ability to pump more oil in the Middle East, could help keep a lid on prices."

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #467 on: April 06, 2024, 10:38:12 AM »

Why? Because it isn't economically feasible for them to develop them at current and projected crude prices.

Just because there is lower supply doesn’t immediately mean that it’s because of challenges getting it to consumers. Industries hold back supply to drive price constantly.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #468 on: April 06, 2024, 10:43:56 AM »
Fluff

Your original post was correct, I am dumb. I will go one step further, I am so fxxkin stupid that I believed I could have an opinion that could be stated and not be ridiculed. It is strange, but I do not believe that I have insulted or ridiculed anyone that has a different take on the economy. Like I said, I appreciate other opinions and like to learn from them.

Apparently you haven’t.

Personal anecdotes about a random Mexican restaurant is a nonsense way to determine if the economy stinks.

I mean I took my wife to breakfast this morning, and there was a wait list. Ergo the economy is great!  Right?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 10:46:29 AM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #469 on: April 14, 2024, 06:14:45 PM »
https://www.thecooldown.com/green-tech/california-renewable-energy-100-percent-grid/

California powered by nothing but renewables for a good part of the last month.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #470 on: April 14, 2024, 08:40:49 PM »
Renewables coming online rapidly, but still need to go much faster.

Renewable Energy Shatters Records in the U.S.
The U.S. has never had as much wind, solar and hydropower. But experts say it’s not enough to meet future electricity demand

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/renewable-energy-shatters-records-in-the-u-s/

"Wind and solar accounted for 76 percent of electricity production in Texas’ primary power grid last Friday. The next day, New England set its own record, with 45 percent of its power coming from wind, solar and hydropower.

Wind generated almost twice the electricity as coal last year on the grid managed by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which serves about 90 percent of the state's power demand. Rooftop solar regularly tops generation in New England on sunny days.

But whether renewables can continue to grow at the rate needed to drive down emissions and meet an expected spike in electricity demand is an open question. The Rhodium Group, an energy modeling firm, estimates the U.S. needs to install between 32 GW and 95 GW of new wind and solar capacity every year through 2035 in order to cut emissions 32 percent to 51 percent compared to 2005 levels.

“From a climate perspective these records are great, but they are still not enough to get emissions down to the level we want,” said Melissa Lott, a professor who studies the power sector at Columbia University’s Climate School."

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #471 on: April 14, 2024, 09:01:31 PM »
Renewables coming online rapidly, but still need to go much faster.

Renewable Energy Shatters Records in the U.S.
The U.S. has never had as much wind, solar and hydropower. But experts say it’s not enough to meet future electricity demand

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/renewable-energy-shatters-records-in-the-u-s/

"Wind and solar accounted for 76 percent of electricity production in Texas’ primary power grid last Friday. The next day, New England set its own record, with 45 percent of its power coming from wind, solar and hydropower.

Wind generated almost twice the electricity as coal last year on the grid managed by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which serves about 90 percent of the state's power demand. Rooftop solar regularly tops generation in New England on sunny days.

But whether renewables can continue to grow at the rate needed to drive down emissions and meet an expected spike in electricity demand is an open question. The Rhodium Group, an energy modeling firm, estimates the U.S. needs to install between 32 GW and 95 GW of new wind and solar capacity every year through 2035 in order to cut emissions 32 percent to 51 percent compared to 2005 levels.

“From a climate perspective these records are great, but they are still not enough to get emissions down to the level we want,” said Melissa Lott, a professor who studies the power sector at Columbia University’s Climate School."
That's great, but how many million acres of land are now blighted by ugly solar farms and windmills.  It makes me sick.  How about a few more nice, compact nuke or coal power plants?  If we measure MW/acre, those are much more efficient, plus they always work.

"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #472 on: April 14, 2024, 09:05:23 PM »
That's great, but how many million acres of land are now blighted by ugly solar farms and windmills.  It makes me sick.  How about a few more nice, compact nuke or coal power plants?  If we measure MW/acre, those are much more efficient, plus they always work.

Have you ever seen a coal mine?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #473 on: April 14, 2024, 10:23:21 PM »

“If you wanted to power the entire United States with solar panels, it would take a fairly small corner of Nevada or Texas or Utah,” he explained. “You only need about 100 miles by 100 miles of solar panels to power the entire United States…. The batteries you [would] need to store the energy, so you have 24/7 power, is 1 mile by 1 mile. One square-mile.”

That’s just 101 square miles, or as Elon says, “a little square on the U.S. map.” To put this into perspective, that’s about 10% of the 1045 square-mile area of Rhode Island, the smallest U.S. state—although admittedly the desert Southwest has better insolation than New England."

https://inovateus.com/how-many-square-miles-of-solar-panels-would-it-take-to-power-the-u-s-its-smaller-than-you-think/#:~:text=%E2%80%9CIf%20you%20wanted%20to%20power,power%20the%20entire%20United%20States%E2%80%A6.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #474 on: April 14, 2024, 11:49:12 PM »

Well seems like you have all the answers, and 20 years, and billions in capex for something that isn’t very profitable.

feedback