'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by JTJ3
[Today at 04:54:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Coaching Carousel  (Read 97264 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #350 on: March 12, 2023, 10:54:36 PM »
50 page threads have been set off here for less than that. Imagine PCScoop is something right now.

Greg Gard

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #351 on: March 12, 2023, 10:55:45 PM »
It does sound like Cooley is gowne.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #352 on: March 12, 2023, 10:57:34 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #353 on: March 12, 2023, 11:06:31 PM »
For the sake of the players, it’d be nice if there was some kind of gentlemen’s agreement where the press wouldn’t ask “Is it true you’re a candidate for the ____ vacancy?” to coaches whose teams are still actively in the tournament.  The same thing happened with Shaheen Holloway last year at Saint Peter’s (though that was largely Kevin Willard’s fault, lol).  The players worked hard to make it into the tournament and they shouldn’t have to deal with stuff like this being thrown in their faces.  I’m sort of thinking along the lines of how they don’t announce big free agent signings during the World Series in baseball.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #354 on: March 12, 2023, 11:18:10 PM »
For the sake of the players, it’d be nice if there was some kind of gentlemen’s agreement where the press wouldn’t ask “Is it true you’re a candidate for the ____ vacancy?” to coaches whose teams are still actively in the tournament.  The same thing happened with Shaheen Holloway last year at Saint Peter’s (though that was largely Kevin Willard’s fault, lol).  The players worked hard to make it into the tournament and they shouldn’t have to deal with stuff like this being thrown in their faces.  I’m sort of thinking along the lines of how they don’t announce big free agent signings during the World Series in baseball.

No, media still has a job to get and report news to keep people informed.

The only gentleman’s agreement would be no candidate contacts until the tournament ends.  But then most of new coaches who took their school to the dance are way behind recruiting, putting next season’s team together, assembling their staff, etc..  So that’s not feasible either. 

It’s not a good situation for the kids like Providence, but it is what it is and has been like this forever.  They won’t be scarred for life. 

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #355 on: March 12, 2023, 11:23:33 PM »
Is Georgetown a better job than Providence?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #356 on: March 12, 2023, 11:26:25 PM »
Is Georgetown a better job than Providence?

Significantly.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #357 on: March 12, 2023, 11:32:53 PM »
Cooley at Georgetown will be interesting. He’ll get them decent and I think the fans will like him. It’ll add a lot of juice to an otherwise dead Providence/Georgetown matchup.

Though if I was a Providence fan hearing that interview, I’d be feeling pretty depressed right now.

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #358 on: March 13, 2023, 12:47:36 AM »
That’s the kind of answer u give when your Agent is already talking to
Georgetown

No, this is the kind of speculation you get whenever a coach's name is thrown out there.  It really doesn't matter what he says.  To those who are so inclined, any answer means he is headed out the door.  He could say definitively that he is not leaving, but lots of coaches have said that and then left.  Some even notified their players they were staying and then were on their way out of town.  Seems to me that what he is saying is that he does not want to talk about it, but it is something that comes up and you just have to live with it.  Maybe it means he is leaving.  Maybe not.  But short of shooting himself in front of a TV camera, there is not much a coach can do to convince people that he is not leaving.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #359 on: March 13, 2023, 02:31:47 AM »
No, this is the kind of speculation you get whenever a coach's name is thrown out there.  It really doesn't matter what he says.  To those who are so inclined, any answer means he is headed out the door.  He could say definitively that he is not leaving, but lots of coaches have said that and then left.  Some even notified their players they were staying and then were on their way out of town.  Seems to me that what he is saying is that he does not want to talk about it, but it is something that comes up and you just have to live with it.  Maybe it means he is leaving.  Maybe not.  But short of shooting himself in front of a TV camera, there is not much a coach can do to convince people that he is not leaving.

If he came out and said I’m not taking the GT job; he would save his players a lot of difficult questions. Agree his answer doesn’t necessarily mean he’s leaving as it’s possible he just wants to use GT as a stalking horse to get another million per year out of PC, but that’s a really crappy thing to do.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #360 on: March 13, 2023, 06:30:49 AM »
gosh darn, i would think ed has too much invested in providence by now plus if you know providence, that's a nice family ya gots there...that NIL thingy can apply to more than just the playas, no?
don't...don't don't don't don't

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #361 on: March 13, 2023, 07:38:53 AM »

Snyder was fired by Mike Alden. However. instead of doing it himself, Alden asked radio analyst Gary Link to tell Snyder instead of doing it himself. Publicly, Snyder “resigned”.

You may not like him, but he had success at Mizzou. Beginning the very next season, he spent 3 years as HC in Austin, G League, winning the most games, and producing the most NBA players. He served as sought after NBA assistant, and, he eventually became a successful HC at Utah. He is now HC with Atlanta.
Snyder quit midseason (must have learned that from Coach K). Allegedly, he was going to be fired after the season and he resigned. He started off well there with Stewarts recruits, and illegal recruiting. His last 2 1/2 years he was 42-42.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #362 on: March 13, 2023, 08:57:19 AM »
Snyder quit midseason (must have learned that from Coach K). Allegedly, he was going to be fired after the season and he resigned. He started off well there with Stewarts recruits, and illegal recruiting. His last 2 1/2 years he was 42-42.

I’m confident I have information about this topic that you may mot have. I’ll leave that part of it at that.

Roster: Kareem Rush, Ricky Paulding, Arthur Johnson, Wesley Stokes, Travon Bryant, Clemons, Jimmy McKinney were all Snyder recruits among others. Perhaps you are confusing Rich Daly and Tony Harvey.

Snyder inherited two players, Keyon Dooling and Clarence Gilbert. Neither of the two were on Mizzou’s team that lost in OT MUBB’s Final Four season. Dooling was not on the team in Mizzou’s Elite 8 season. He played one season Snyder, two overall. (Norm Stewart was a great coach though)

This wasn’t Jim Crews winning 55 games and 2 league titles over 2 seasons with Rick Majerus’ players. And that counts anyway. See Mike Deane.

And, related to the topic of coaching, again, you may not like it or him, but he had success coaching college ball, as well as other levels of ball.

Without trying to trigger some people here, Buzz was 17-16 his final year at MUBB. He was 14-17 when leaving UNO. He had success coaching at MUBB and elsewhere.

Al McGuire was 13-39 his final 2 years at Belmont Abbey. That doesn’t change that he had success there as well as at Marquette. Mike Deane had some success at Marquette. His last season was 14-15. Kevin O’ Neill had 3 losing seasons at Tennessee, 3 losing seasons at Northwestern, and he finished his final 2 years at USC at 13-36. It doesn’t change the fact that he had success at Marquette.

Again, I get it, you don’t like Snyder. But he had success coaching ball at Mizzou as well as other levels of basketball whether you like it or not.

He isn’t a college hoops coaching candidate as he was hired by Atlanta recently.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 09:13:18 AM by shoothoops »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #363 on: March 13, 2023, 09:05:32 AM »
LOL... "Quin Snyder isn't a good basketball coach" is not a particularly good hill to die on. Dude can coach.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #364 on: March 13, 2023, 09:26:00 AM »
LOL... "Quin Snyder isn't a good basketball coach" is not a particularly good hill to die on. Dude can coach.
Never said he wasn't a good coach, just saying he ended up being a dumpster fire when he left Missouri. A cheat, and a quitter.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #365 on: March 13, 2023, 09:42:53 AM »
Never said he wasn't a good coach, just saying he ended up being a dumpster fire when he left Missouri. A cheat, and a quitter.

Actually you said he quit (multiple times) when it was pointed out that he didn’t. (I’d rather not be a name dropper here)

And you said Snyder won because he had Stewart’s players. That was wrong too.

And so on.

Again, you have some sort of dislike for Quin Snyder. We like who we like. But you are letting your personal opinion from a distance affect the accuracy of your position.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #366 on: March 13, 2023, 09:47:54 AM »
So who would be candidates to replace Cooley if he left PC?

I would think for him St. John's is more attractive, but once upon a time Rick Pitino coached Providence to the Final Four. Might be an interesting call to try to keep the level of play high while they set up a longer-term replacement in 4-6 years.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #367 on: March 13, 2023, 09:55:56 AM »
Actually you said he quit (multiple times) when it was pointed out that he didn’t. (I’d rather not be a name dropper here)

And you said Snyder won because he had Stewart’s players. That was wrong too.

And so on.

Again, you have some sort of dislike for Quin Snyder. We like who we like. But you are letting your personal opinion from a distance affect the accuracy of your position.
He resigned when he was told that the press guy was going to tell him that he was fired at the end of the year. That's coming from both sides. You do you, chicos.

I was wrong about being Stewart's players. They were his (or the boosters, I should say). He was paying players, Then his players went 16-14, 16-17, and 10-11. Add in the whole Ricky Clemons situation, and that is the definition of a dumpster fire.

The whole point was that being a good NBA coach doesn't always translate to NCAA success.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #368 on: March 13, 2023, 10:10:14 AM »
He resigned when he was told that the press guy was going to tell him that he was fired at the end of the year. That's coming from both sides. You do you, chicos.

I was wrong about being Stewart's players. They were his (or the boosters, I should say). He was paying players, Then his players went 16-14, 16-17, and 10-11. Add in the whole Ricky Clemons situation, and that is the definition of a dumpster fire.

The whole point was that being a good NBA coach doesn't always translate to NCAA success.

Lol. Amazing.

Double (triple?) down on incorrect info.

Admit incorrect about other info.

Insert again that you don’t like him info.

(Jay Wright had seasons of
15-16, 18-17, and he was 13-19 in his 11th season at Villanova. I heard he had success at Villanova)

Conclude that he didn’t have NCAA success even though he did.

I have it written down on a napkin that you don’t like Quin Snyder, lol.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #369 on: March 13, 2023, 10:19:40 AM »
Lol. Amazing.

Double (triple?) down on incorrect info.

Admit incorrect about other info.

Insert again that you don’t like him info.

(Jay Wright had seasons of
15-16, 18-17, and he was 13-19 in his 11th season at Villanova. I heard he had success at Villanova)

Conclude that he didn’t have NCAA success even though he did.

I have it written down on a napkin that you don’t like Quin Snyder, lol.
My info is correct on why he resigned before being fired. It was a friggin trainwreck the last 3 years. Not sure how you are trying to explain it any other way.

From the local newspaper:
Snyder resigned mid-season in February 2006 under far from harmonious circumstances. Amid a losing season and with the program under NCAA probation, he said at the time he was told he would be fired at season's end.

Wrights bad years were not 3 in a row.

I get it it, you love everything Missouri, including that cheating quitter. I don't hate the guy. Sounds like he turned his life around, good for him.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #370 on: March 13, 2023, 10:28:21 AM »
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1635266454772944897?s=20

Chris Beard to Ole Miss being finalized.

Hopefully his fiancee gets up the courage to remove herself from the situation.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #371 on: March 13, 2023, 10:29:46 AM »
My info is correct on why he resigned before being fired. It was a friggin trainwreck the last 3 years. Not sure how you are trying to explain it any other way.

From the local newspaper:
Snyder resigned mid-season in February 2006 under far from harmonious circumstances. Amid a losing season and with the program under NCAA probation, he said at the time he was told he would be fired at season's end.

Wrights bad years were not 3 in a row.

I get it it, you love everything Missouri, including that cheating quitter. I don't hate the guy. Sounds like he turned his life around, good for him.

My information is not from a local newspaper. Like I said, I’m confident I have information that you don’t have.

Are you really going to nitpick Jay Wright or insert coach here. Fine. Jay Wright had 3 straight losing seasons at Hofstra. His record those 3 seasons was 31-51. Can’t wait for you to move the goalposts again.

Ah yes, we get psychological projection with a splash of tribalism in the final paragraph for the finish.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #372 on: March 13, 2023, 10:35:45 AM »
My information is not from a local newspaper. Like I said, I’m confident I have information that you don’t have.

Are you really going to nitpick Jay Wright or insert coach here. Fine. Jay Wright had 3 straight losing seasons at Hofstra. His record those 3 seasons was 31-51. Can’t wait for you to move the goalposts again.

Ah yes, we get psychological projection with a splash of tribalism in the final paragraph for the finish.
Still not sure what you are getting at about your inside information. Whether or not he was fired or he quit (he quit before being fired was straight out of Quinn's mouth), is irrelevant. He left that program with the pitchforks on his tail, with a program on probation.

I am not moving any goalposts. The original point was just because some coach is "NBA material" does not make him a successful college coach. If you think Snyder's run at Missouri was a success, well we have two different standards.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #373 on: March 13, 2023, 10:35:56 AM »
gosh darn, i would think ed has too much invested in providence by now plus if you know providence, that's a nice family ya gots there...that NIL thingy can apply to more than just the playas, no?

I can happily say that I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about for about 98% of your posts, and get concerned the 2% of the time I do understand what you're getting at.  I just go on the assumption that you are referring to something related to sex, because you can't seem to post about anything that doesn't come back to that.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #374 on: March 13, 2023, 10:52:09 AM »
Looks like Georgia Tech is hiring Celtics assistant and former Pacific coach Damon Staudamire. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow