'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:02:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:43:38 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Coaching Carousel  (Read 97294 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

BLWarrior91

• All American
Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #176 on: March 09, 2023, 04:34:45 PM »
If Pitino leaves Iona, St. John's is the perfect place for him.  If anyone is going to revive that program, it would be him.  A strong SJU program (along with Georgetown) is good for the Big East and good for MU.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2023, 04:46:27 PM »
Will potion be around long enough to really "revive" the program? I almost think he'd be around just long enough to build one or two solid years and then retire, not sure that's enough to revive the program any more so than Lavin did (albeit a considerably higher ceiling)
Maigh Eo for Sam

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2023, 04:52:44 PM »
Ewing has been terminated.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #179 on: March 09, 2023, 05:04:00 PM »
Pitino would accept a local job like SJU because he doesn't want to be far from his home at Winged Foot.

Ewing's job candidates should start pretty soon with the rumor talks.  Patrick has a net worth of 80 million, he needs to buy a yacht and chill out.

Mark Fox fired as coach at Cal. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2023, 05:30:15 PM »
Mark Fox fired as coach at Cal.

I can't recall someone whose career fell off a cliff so quickly after promotion like Fox.   He was very mediocre at UGA and then absolutely horrific at Cal.  But then again, once he was past Trent Johnson's recruits at Nevada, his teams slipped the last 2 years.

Coincidentally, Johnson's career aggressively fell off a cliff post Nevada as well, but not before a few good years at Stanford including f-ing 2008.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #181 on: March 09, 2023, 05:44:48 PM »
I can't recall someone whose career fell off a cliff so quickly after promotion like Fox.   He was very mediocre at UGA and then absolutely horrific at Cal.  But then again, once he was past Trent Johnson's recruits at Nevada, his teams slipped the last 2 years.

Coincidentally, Johnson's career aggressively fell off a cliff post Nevada as well, but not before a few good years at Stanford including f-ing 2008.

Cal is a dumpster fire because they choose to light the dumpster on fire.

If we're being fair to Fox.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #182 on: March 09, 2023, 05:58:49 PM »
It looks like the Gtown job is available. 

muwarrior69

• All American

nyg

• All American
« Reply #184 on: March 09, 2023, 06:39:29 PM »
Just to add to the Cooley to Georgetown thing.  Cooley’s idol was John Thompson and he has a daughter at Georgetown now.  FWIW.

Should be an interesting few weeks with some big time openings. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #185 on: March 09, 2023, 06:45:13 PM »
Just to add to the Cooley to Georgetown thing.  Cooley’s idol was John Thompson and he has a daughter at Georgetown now.  FWIW.

Should be an interesting few weeks with some big time openings.

I think Micah Shrewsberry gets some play at GTown, too
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #186 on: March 09, 2023, 08:16:04 PM »
What some people don’t understand is that Jay Wright likes Philadelphia. He thinks its the best city in the world.

He has lived in Philly 47 years of his life, and in the state of Pennsylvania 50 years of his life.
I now question Jay Wright's judgment.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #187 on: March 09, 2023, 08:20:23 PM »
Some one came up with the coin to pay out Ewing.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #188 on: March 09, 2023, 08:21:11 PM »

It’s better than St. Louis. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #189 on: March 09, 2023, 08:37:18 PM »

Nah. Philly’s a good place. I’d prefer to live in a little more variety of cities than just one for so long, but, good for him if that’s what he likes and wants. I can see why other schools and sports media would have frequent interest in him as a coach.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #190 on: March 09, 2023, 10:32:47 PM »
Beard to the SEC; just "like peas and carrots".

axaguy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #191 on: March 09, 2023, 10:34:44 PM »
Do you think Jay Wright will coach college ball again? He is only 61 and if the $$$$$$$$$ is right?
Al retired at 50 if you remember correctly...

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2023, 08:31:12 AM »
https://nypost.com/2023/03/09/rick-pitino-is-the-wake-up-call-st-johns-needs/

Sounds like us two years ago. You think Rick can turn the Johnnies around?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2023, 08:33:00 AM »
Al retired at 50 if you remember correctly...

My guess with the current state of coaches salaries, Al wouldn't have retired at 50.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2023, 08:44:06 AM »
https://nypost.com/2023/03/09/rick-pitino-is-the-wake-up-call-st-johns-needs/

Sounds like us two years ago. You think Rick can turn the Johnnies around?

It's Rick Pitino.  Yes, of course.  The man is a legend.

But they have to get him first.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #195 on: March 10, 2023, 08:57:15 AM »
I think Micah Shrewsberry gets some play at GTown, too

I think he'll just end up staying and taking the raise at Penn St. Once Izzo leaves, which is likely the end of next year, the Big10 is probably gonna be Painter and then a bunch of solid (B to B+) coaches.

He might be in the tourney after last night. Penn State's first time in 12 years. Only their 5th time since the 60's. And Pickett could be an All-American.

His son is enrolling next year along with Carey Booth. Carey is pretty good, MU was one of his final few teams. His dad is the Nuggets GM and was a former Penn State player.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #196 on: March 10, 2023, 09:03:22 AM »
It's Rick Pitino.  Yes, of course.  The man is a legend.

But they have to get him first.

Rick makes a ton of sense.
Despite previous transgressions, he’s turned his career back around in a really clever way.
He stepped across the pond and did a helluva job coaching Panathinaikos in Greece for a few seasons and then had a short stint with the National Team. He became admired amongst Panathinaikos fans in short order.
He’s a great coach overall, but can flat out coach defense.

He then came back to America to coach at Iona, which to many was a head scratching move, but he’s long said he wanted to coach back in America even if at a lower level. He’s done well there as expected.

His son, Rick Pitino Jr, is an up and coming young head coach. I’m not quite sure the fit is great with Ricky junya over in NM. He’s an East coach kid with a lot of east coast ties thru his dad. He went to Providence. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Rick pushed for a sort of a package deal with his son at St John’s- senior coaches for 2-5 years and then paves the way for Jr to take the spot.
Not sure if StJ would be ok with this, if I was them I definitely would, and I’m not sure how it would be structured but I could definitely see it play out that way if they went the Rick way.

Another option, as odd as it would seem, would be to just bring in Rick Pitino Jr and make dad his associate head coach.
That would definitely be outside the box, but again I feel like StJ could do much worse.
That team would be tough as nails defensively and establish an identity in short order (cue the identity jokes about waitresses in Manhattan)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #197 on: March 10, 2023, 09:06:33 AM »
Rick jr couldn't win at Minnesota, if his last name wasn't pitino nobody would've given him a glance right now.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #198 on: March 10, 2023, 09:19:23 AM »
Rick makes a ton of sense.
Despite previous transgressions, he’s turned his career back around in a really clever way.
He stepped across the pond and did a helluva job coaching Panathinaikos in Greece for a few seasons and then had a short stint with the National Team. He became admired amongst Panathinaikos fans in short order.
He’s a great coach overall, but can flat out coach defense.

He then came back to America to coach at Iona, which to many was a head scratching move, but he’s long said he wanted to coach back in America even if at a lower level. He’s done well there as expected.

His son, Rick Pitino Jr, is an up and coming young head coach. I’m not quite sure the fit is great with Ricky junya over in NM. He’s an East coach kid with a lot of east coast ties thru his dad. He went to Providence. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Rick pushed for a sort of a package deal with his son at St John’s- senior coaches for 2-5 years and then paves the way for Jr to take the spot.
Not sure if StJ would be ok with this, if I was them I definitely would, and I’m not sure how it would be structured but I could definitely see it play out that way if they went the Rick way.

Another option, as odd as it would seem, would be to just bring in Rick Pitino Jr and make dad his associate head coach.
That would definitely be outside the box, but again I feel like StJ could do much worse.
That team would be tough as nails defensively and establish an identity in short order (cue the identity jokes about waitresses in Manhattan)

Follow me on this one... and imagine the stories....

Cooley to Georgetown
Pitino Sr to St Johns
Pitino Jr to Providence

Unfortunately, I think the problem with Jr. is that the apple falls too far from the tree.

But how cool would the rivalries be if those moves took place?  A man can dream.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #199 on: March 10, 2023, 09:22:30 AM »
Follow me on this one... and imagine the stories....

Cooley to Georgetown
Pitino Sr to St Johns
Pitino Jr to Providence

Unfortunately, I think the problem with Jr. is that the apple falls too far from the tree.

But how cool would the rivalries be if those moves took place?  A man can dream.

Would be worth it just for the providence fan reaction