[Today at 09:54:20 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Seashells and Balloons  (Read 10148 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Seashells and Balloons
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2023, 07:57:47 AM »
Lenny, it is a balloon that everyone can see and track.  How much useful information can it glean when everyone knows where it is and what it is?   That isn't already being pulled from satellites?   If it was flying over my house I would flip it off or moon it.

It is the size of 3 buses.  Shooting it down spreads 3 buses of unknown debris over a large area.  Would you want that over the Florida coast?   Try and attach a tether hook and pull it?   Same problem.

Right now, the biggest hazard is it crashing over a populated area.   Unless it is the most unorthodox first strike weapon ever.

So, I stand by my statement.   This is an embarrassment for China.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2023, 08:01:35 AM »
What would you consider to be a serious embarrassment for the U.S.? Axin' fore myself, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2023, 08:03:09 AM »
Trump.  MAGA.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2023, 08:06:33 AM »
You'd prefer the Buffoon be re-elected, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2023, 08:10:36 AM »
The buffoon was defeated.   Should he run, I will vote for the current president.   
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 08:12:14 AM by tower912 »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2023, 08:13:01 AM »
Might have to choose someone else. Doubt he'll be on the ballot. Besides, both he and Trump are just too kolekin' old. This country can and should do better, hey?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 08:15:01 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2023, 08:16:26 AM »
Yes, it is time to move on to the next generation.    However, if it is a 2020 rematch, I will vote the same way I voted then. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2023, 08:16:56 AM »
I think it's very possible they shoot that thing down today. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2023, 08:17:25 AM »
Lenny, it is a balloon that everyone can see and track.  How much useful information can it glean when everyone knows where it is and what it is?   That isn't already being pulled from satellites?   If it was flying over my house I would flip it off or moon it.

It is the size of 3 buses.  Shooting it down spreads 3 buses of unknown debris over a large area.  Would you want that over the Florida coast?   Try and attach a tether hook and pull it?   Same problem.

Right now, the biggest hazard is it crashing over a populated area.   Unless it is the most unorthodox first strike weapon ever.

So, I stand by my statement.   This is an embarrassment for China.

ummm, memba the trojan horsies?? 

if we blow it outta the sky, we have the technology to do that over bumblefudge USA or just vaporize the mofo

under maga man, this thing wouldn't have made it to the shores of the aleutian isles

transparency means...oh damn, you saw that??  then minimize it? 

probably loaded with more $$-ya know 10% for the BG !! ca-ching
don't...don't don't don't don't

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2023, 08:19:10 AM »
Maybe it's the new Uber and its full of Chinese food, or as the Chinese call it, food.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2023, 08:21:21 AM »
I don’t have the information to say what I would do...

Exactly, Lenny.
It's obvious from  your earlier posts that you really didn't understand the size and makeup of this balloon, its capabilities or the implications of shooting it down.
Of course, that hasn't stopped you from second-guessing the decisions of those who do have that information and assuming that you, with all your vast knowledge and experience in these matters, know better.

Obviously the military and the decisions of its leadership are light years from infallible, but shouldn't one at least educate him/herself before second-guessing?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2023, 08:45:44 AM »
   ummm, memba the trojan horsies?? 

if we blow it outta the sky, we have the technology to do that over bumblefudge USA or just vaporize the mofo

under maga man, this thing wouldn't have made it to the shores of the aleutian isles

transparency means...oh damn, you saw that??  then minimize it? 

probably loaded with more $$-ya know 10% for the BG !! ca-ching

8 out of 10
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2023, 09:07:32 AM »
Gents - if you want to argue about playing a man vs zone defense against a Chinese balloon, have at it.  If you want to piss and moan about politics, I'll ban you.  Have at it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2023, 09:08:39 AM »
Despite proclamations from George Santos saying he’s operating the balloon, it appears that’s not the case

They need to bring back the old Jon Lovitz character from SNL to play George Santos.

Yeaaah, that’s the ticket.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2023, 09:10:03 AM »
8 out of 10

Reeko is slightly hungover after drinking full bottle of Mellow Corn last night, but still has a good reaction time.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2023, 09:11:20 AM »
Too bad the balloon's flight path won't take it over the Marquette campus. Stray gunfire would take it down.

The Dentist Militia could take care of this. All those weekends paintin’ their faces and playin’ army in the woods could pay off.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2023, 09:17:19 AM »
They need to bring back the old Jon Lovitz character from SNL to play George Santos.

Yeaaah, that’s the ticket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpKLHWg2Ffg
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2023, 09:22:13 AM »
Anyone got a stick pin? We're bein' spied upon and no one gives a chit, hey?

The military has probably known about the balloons since they were launched in the ocean or china or wherever.

Not surprisingly, they don't tell the general public about every little thing they spot.  This only came to light because civilians spotted it.

You can cry about Biden or whatever, but that's just be more hot air.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2023, 09:22:36 AM »

Reeko is slightly hungover after drinking full bottle of Mellow Corn last night, but still has a good reaction time.

I love Mellow Corn!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2023, 09:27:10 AM »
There are/were several possibilities. It could have been shot down before it was over water jbut in our air space. It could have been shot down over some area where there was little or no chance of impacting the population. Perhaps there’s a way of bringing it down without essentially blowing it up - a tear in the balloon, something of that sort. Or we could do nothing and learn nothing about what was in the balloon, harrumph a bit and cancel our Secretary of State’s trip to China.

I don’t have the information to say what I would do, but I definitely wouldn’t laugh it off as no big deal like Tower, Bias and others have done. And unless there’s something they’re not telling us I wouldn’t have chosen the do nothing option.

Good lord you think small.  Nations do this to each other all the time to test responses.

I do think it's pretty funny that you see this balloon as a threat when you know nothing about it other than it is Chinese.  Meanwhile, the military and its full complement sensors don't see it as any sort of a threat.  You know, the experts on such things.

Yet, you're like, "THIS THING IS DANGEROUS TUCKER SAID SO".  I may have adlibbed that last part for you, but I know your outrage stems from the media you're consuming.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2023, 09:31:09 AM »

"I'm here to defend your honor again, my friend"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2023, 09:41:39 AM »
Exactly, Lenny.
It's obvious from  your earlier posts that you really didn't understand the size and makeup of this balloon, its capabilities or the implications of shooting it down.
Of course, that hasn't stopped you from second-guessing the decisions of those who do have that information and assuming that you, with all your vast knowledge and experience in these matters, know better.

Obviously the military and the decisions of its leadership are light years from infallible, but shouldn't one at least educate him/herself before second-guessing?

Of course I understood the size, etc. - that’s why I said that if taken down the best time to do it was either while over water or somewhere that is virtually uninhabited.

And of course I don’t know it’s “capabilities”. Neither do you, bias, Tower, etc. - that doesn’t stop you all from dismissing it as something unimportant that can’t give China any information it already isn’t getting. How does anyone who doesn’t know its capabilities know that, and (if true) why did China launch it?

As to our military, I think it’s likely they’ve been debating what to do about this for a few days. And their advice is sometimes overruled by politicians anyway. Who knows, a’ina?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2023, 09:44:35 AM »
Lenny

The Chinese told the scoopers it was a weather balloon that went off track. The guys on here take that for being accurate and do not see an issue. It will be funny to read responses after it is shot down in a couple of hours.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2023, 09:52:32 AM »
Lenny

The Chinese told the scoopers it was a weather balloon that went off track. The guys on here take that for being accurate and do not see an issue. It will be funny to read responses after it is shot down in a couple of hours.

Who thinks it’s just a weather balloon?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2023, 09:54:57 AM »
Who thinks it’s just a weather balloon?

Right. Literally said they have satellites that do the same thing. Could be weather satellites. But not what I meant.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter