Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shaka A+ This Season So Far  (Read 10252 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Shaka A+ This Season So Far
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2023, 04:06:43 PM »
Couldn't agree more Goose.  Don't screw around, give him an immediate raise/extension.

Sure, he's earned it.
But an extension won't keep him from leaving if he wants to go.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2023, 04:31:14 PM »

I was at that game in Baton Rouge and it felt like Championship Monday. Obviously, IU was loaded, but we were right there, aina?

I was in Baton Rouge too, Doc - drove over from Houston where I was living then. If you remember a guy in a red golf shirt wildly cheering on the Warriors - that was me. Wife was nice enough to pack but somehow forgot IU’s and MU’s colors.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2023, 04:35:23 PM »
What happened to waiting 5 years?

Edit: Just saw I made the same joke as JB. Don't whip me for it

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2023, 05:05:24 PM »

All Shaka has proven is he can win with Wojo’s recruits……which is more than Wojo ever did.  ;D ;D

Nice call on this Mugs!

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2023, 05:35:42 PM »
All Shaka has proven is he can win with Wojo’s recruits……which is more than Wojo ever did.  ;D ;D

Nice call on this Mugs!

OUCH!
But true

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2023, 05:43:25 PM »
Sure, he's earned it.
But an extension won't keep him from leaving if he wants to go.

He's not bolting Pakumi. 

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2023, 05:52:13 PM »
Quote from: Skatastrophy link=topic=64178.msg1524586#msg1524586 date=

We already had 12 years to judge Shaka before he ever arrived at MU. 

Everyone seems to forget the "five year" comment was made with respect to MU's track record of hiring either promoted assistants (Crean, Wojo, O'Neill, Buzz) or low-major coaches (Deane, Dukiet).   

Shaka arrived with 12 years of head coaching experience under his belt, including six at a high major. He came to MU already a known quantity--something you couldn't say for any prior MU coach.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2023, 06:02:37 PM »
We already had 12 years to judge Shaka before he ever arrived at MU. 

Everyone seems to forget the "five year" comment was made with respect to MU's track record of hiring either promoted assistants (Crean, Wojo, O'Neill, Buzz) or low-major coaches (Deane, Dukiet).   

Shaka arrived with 12 years of head coaching experience under his belt, including six at a high major. He came to MU already a known quantity--something you couldn't say for any prior MU coach.

I think it originally started due to Chicos not wanting to jump on the Buzz bandwagon.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2023, 06:23:41 PM »
Only 3 years and 1 month before we can form an initial opinion on Shaka

——
I hope I’m not being too naive, but I feel like Shaka likes being at MU and there’s a good chance he’ll be with us for a long time

Agreed. He's winning, he's in his home state, coaches the way he wants and best of all, he does not have to put up with the Blue Blood BS.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2023, 06:28:20 PM »
He's not bolting Pakumi.
I have no idea if/when he's bolting. None of us do.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2023, 07:41:19 PM »
I have no idea if/when he's bolting. None of us do.

When Marquette starts messing with his happy...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2023, 07:43:57 PM »
I think Shaka is here for the long haul, but if he left MU in four weeks I would give him a standing ovation and wish him well. He proved it can be done at MU and that is what I have waited a long time to witness.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2023, 08:03:25 PM »
Probably. I think he might be here for the rest of his career but i could also see him retiring in his 50s

I would like nothing more than Shaka having so much success that this is possible.

Also the five year concept is, at best, not applicable in todays world.  At worst a bad argument.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2023, 08:50:01 PM »
Pakuni

Just curious, why would you post anything remote in nature of Shaka leaving down the road? For many on here, today is a milestone day in our fandom and I think the excitement is fantastic. Not exactly sure why you, or anyone, would chose to discuss Shaka leaving.

I could not be happier for the 1000’s of MU fans today. I have heard from countless people today and the common theme is excitement for the future, even more than the reminder of this season.

Again, post away, but I hope MU nation is enjoying a historic day for the program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2023, 04:54:35 AM »
It is a message board.   He speculated.   I am sure it has at least crossed many posters minds.   I know it has crossed mine.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2023, 05:16:31 AM »
I think Shaka is here for the long haul, but if he left MU in four weeks I would give him a standing ovation and wish him well. He proved it can be done at MU and that is what I have waited a long time to witness.

Bingo

Goose

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2023, 06:10:38 AM »
tower

It has not crossed my mind for a second. As I mentioned, yesterday was an exciting day for the program and a good number of fans. It seemed to be a strange comment, in a positive thread that came from a very infrequent contributor to MU basketball discussions.

Again, I have zero concern of Shaka leaving and am enjoying the team and the season. I appreciate you pointing out it is a message board and I will keep that in mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2023, 06:32:15 AM »
Message boards are full of different ideas. And most of them get challenged.    Yes, I have pondered a Shaka departure.   Having  pondered it, I am not worried about it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2023, 06:38:32 AM »
tower

If Farley had mentioned it would you have felt it was a message board full of opinion? Pakuni has not made a direct MU basketball related post in quite some time. Farley is a troll, we get it. IMO pakuni was throwing cold water on a great day.

I have no idea if he is a Shaka or MU fan based off of his posts on basketball threads, because they do not happen often. Again, seemed like a strange time/thread to get involved in for an infrequent basketball poster.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2023, 06:47:39 AM »
I defend Farley's right to be wrong.   I defend my right to judge him by his posts and put him on ignore.   I defend your right to be critical of Pakuni.  I defend my right to disagree with you.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2023, 06:59:56 AM »
tower

This is a silly discussion. Imo, if someone wants to have a thread or discussion on the potential of Shaka leaving, I’m all for it. I would not agree with it, but a fair talking point for some people. Again, I thought the timing was strange and it was posted in a positive thread about the job Shaka has done.

I have no problem if there are people wondering, or even concerned, if Shaka could possibly leave. As I mentioned in another post, if Shaka were to leave, I would thank him for putting hope and excitement back to a dormant program. There would be zero hard feelings from this fan.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2023, 07:08:09 AM »
tower

It has not crossed my mind for a second. As I mentioned, yesterday was an exciting day for the program and a good number of fans. It seemed to be a strange comment, in a positive thread that came from a very infrequent contributor to MU basketball discussions.

Again, I have zero concern of Shaka leaving and am enjoying the team and the season. I appreciate you pointing out it is a message board and I will keep that in mind.

Plus, we could bring Brian Wardle home
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2023, 07:35:19 AM »
I defend Farley's right to be wrong.   I defend my right to judge him by his posts and put him on ignore.   I defend your right to be critical of Pakuni.  I defend my right to disagree with you.

I didn't realize how big a champion you are of free speech Tower. As if that has anything to do with Goose's point or my original thoughts beginning this thread.  Do you think the timing of Pakumi's comments were weird and absurd?  In light of what the team has accomplished thus far and how special this season and yesterday was for them, the coaches, and the fan base?  Why don't you just answer the question in lieu of some "I defend free speech" drivel? 

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2023, 07:38:01 AM »
I have been looking for some national perspective on the NCOY and while everyone on Scoop thinks Shaka should win it seems like the prevailing thoughts are Painter or Tang. I was watching the Baylor-OK State game last night and the announcers were ready to hand it to Tang on the spot. I’m just not sure I understand why. What Shaka has done with a young, unproven team that lost so much scoring is just incredible.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2023, 07:41:03 AM »
I have been looking for some national perspective on the NCOY and while everyone on Scoop thinks Shaka should win it seems like the prevailing thoughts are Painter or Tang. I was watching the Baylor-OK State game last night and the announcers were ready to hand it to Tang on the spot. I’m just not sure I understand why. What Shaka has done with a young, unproven team that lost so much scoring is just incredible.

I'm biased obviously but I truly believe Shaka deserves it. 

feedback