[Today at 07:05:03 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:25:51 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka A+ This Season So Far  (Read 10714 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Shaka A+ This Season So Far
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2023, 07:41:42 AM »
I didn't realize how big a champion you are of free speech Tower. As if that has anything to do with Goose's point or my original thoughts beginning this thread.  Do you think the timing of Pakumi's comments were weird and absurd?  In light of what the team has accomplished thus far and how special this season and yesterday was for them, the coaches, and the fan base?  Why don't you just answer the question in lieu of some "I defend free speech" drivel?

Because it’s a legit concern.  Shaka’s name would at least be bandied about were a big job to open. Extension or not, college basketball coaches contracts aren’t hard to break.

All that said, unless money is his primary driver, I don’t think it’s a concern. Unless there’s a dream job of his we’re unaware of, I don’t think it’s a concern.

Also, despite all of the accomplishments this year, you still worry yourself sick over each and every game.  Relax.  Smoke a bowl
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2023, 07:42:36 AM »
I have been looking for some national perspective on the NCOY and while everyone on Scoop thinks Shaka should win it seems like the prevailing thoughts are Painter or Tang. I was watching the Baylor-OK State game last night and the announcers were ready to hand it to Tang on the spot. I’m just not sure I understand why. What Shaka has done with a young, unproven team that lost so much scoring is just incredible.
One of the guys on Field of 68 after dark picked Shaka as NCOY. Heard it this morning on the radio.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2023, 07:45:58 AM »
Rico

I can only speak for myself, but there a good number of active posters discussing the program on a daily basis and Pakuni is not one of them. He is an active poster in the superbar, but not much on MU basketball.

Imo, if an active poster on the program brought it up, I would have thought crazy timing or wrong thread, but not WTF.

I will add, if one of the MS guys would have brought it up, I would told them they are off base much more clearly than I did on Pak’s post.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2023, 07:50:22 AM »
Because it’s a legit concern.  Shaka’s name would at least be bandied about were a big job to open. Extension or not, college basketball coaches contracts aren’t hard to break.

All that said, unless money is his primary driver, I don’t think it’s a concern. Unless there’s a dream job of his we’re unaware of, I don’t think it’s a concern.

Also, despite all of the accomplishments this year, you still worry yourself sick over each and every game.  Relax.  Smoke a bowl

How do you know I'm not relaxed?  I'm having a great cup of coffee and huevos rancheros.  I think you're missing Goose's point but whatever. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2023, 07:54:47 AM »
How do you know I'm not relaxed?  I'm having a great cup of coffee and huevos rancheros.  I think you're missing Goose's point but whatever.

I’m not.  I understand his point. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2023, 07:59:20 AM »
I have been looking for some national perspective on the NCOY and while everyone on Scoop thinks Shaka should win it seems like the prevailing thoughts are Painter or Tang. I was watching the Baylor-OK State game last night and the announcers were ready to hand it to Tang on the spot. I’m just not sure I understand why. What Shaka has done with a young, unproven team that lost so much scoring is just incredible.

Brian Wardle should be in the discussion.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2023, 08:07:58 AM »
I didn't realize how big a champion you are of free speech Tower. As if that has anything to do with Goose's point or my original thoughts beginning this thread.  Do you think the timing of Pakumi's comments were weird and absurd?  In light of what the team has accomplished thus far and how special this season and yesterday was for them, the coaches, and the fan base?  Why don't you just answer the question in lieu of some "I defend free speech" drivel? 

Goose is the one who brought up an extension.  You then followed it up with "don't mess around" or some such comment.

Pakuni's comment followed yours and was absolutely on point. And he doesn't need to have some type of magic threshold on posts discussing basketball in order to make it. 

So no, I don't think his comment was "weird and absurd."  In fact, I think Goose and your responses to it are by far more weird and absurd. It's a message board - not a pep rally.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2023, 08:10:31 AM »

Goose is the one who brought up an extension.  You then followed it up with "don't mess around" or some such comment.

Pakuni's comment followed yours and was absolutely on point. And he doesn't need to have some type of magic threshold on posts discussing basketball in order to make it. 

So no, I don't think his comment was "weird and absurd."  In fact, I think Goose and your responses to it are by far more weird and absurd. It's a message board - not a pep rally.

LOL.  Enjoy your lunch at the Mecca Bar Fluffy. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2023, 08:18:24 AM »
I think the biggest risk to retaining top coaches is the slow motion conference shakeup. Coaches have their finger on the pulse of the realignment, and will make career decisions based on that. Hopefully the BEast continues to weather the storm.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2023, 08:22:03 AM »
I think the biggest risk to retaining top coaches is the slow motion conference shakeup. Coaches have their finger on the pulse of the realignment, and will make career decisions based on that. Hopefully the BEast continues to weather the storm.

For all we know, Shaka is reciting the order of the presidents as we speak.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2023, 08:23:49 AM »
For all we know, Shaka is reciting the order of the presidents as we speak.

Wonder if he’s a flusher or someone who delegates that role?

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2023, 08:27:31 AM »
LOL.  Enjoy your lunch at the Mecca Bar Fluffy. 

LOL, you get on tower for the response to your post, but when someone actually answers the question you posed, THIS is how you respond?

So very weak.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2023, 08:31:17 AM »
In College Basketball, there's always a chance someone could throw so much of what a Coach wants at him that the subject Coach leaves. I don't know Coach Shaka but I'll take him at his word and I do think he's here for the long-haul. I believe there are limited reasons he could leave, including, which my SWAG estimates:

1) Restructuring -- If the Power 5 conferences go off on their own and leave the Big East behind, then I'll definitely be worried. If this happens, we will have much larger concerns than our head coach. I think it's possible in the sense the SEC, ACC, Big12, BIG, and Pac12 reorganize and form their own competitive league. In this scenario, all of these conferences may not survive but most of the brand names in them will. The Big East, along with parts of the ACC and Big12 will be out in the cold. Probably of happening: Less than 10 percent.

2) Recruiting -- Coach Shaka has done a marvelous job this year. Probably should be coach of the year nationally. But, three of his starting five are Wojo recruits. Coach Shaka has shown an ability to recruit at Texas, but whether that carries over to Marquette remains to be seen. I'm optimistic about recruiting but the risk is Coach Shaka could be a high-end Mike Deane. Probability of happening: About 10 percent.

3) An Incident -- We've been reminded of the problems incidents could cause down in Alabama in the past week. We've seen these sorts of issues happen over the years. The Chicago Tribune reported one, which got Buzz in deep doodoo. These incidents stretched the patience of the powers that be. Marquette also has a periodic tendency to self-destruct, which happens when some arrogant professors question why we are a "basketball school" or why the basketball coach is the highest paid university employee. From the players standpoint, there's something about the guys Coach Shaka recruits that says incidents are less likely. Probability of happening: Less than 10 percent.

4) The Right Power 5 Offer -- If Coach Shaka had come to us when we first asked him, this would be about 50 percent likely. But, after Texas, I'd think this might be washed out of his system. You never know, but Marquette has been generous and very welcoming. If Coach Shaka can recruit here and we keep putting 17,000 people in the FiServ, this won't happen either. One other reason: any of us who have or had small children know how tough it is to uproot and move families. If Coach and Mrs. Smart are happy here, we'll be fine! Probability of Happening: 20 percent.

I don't think any of these circumstances are likely, which is why I believe Coach Smart is around for the long-haul.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2023, 08:32:49 AM »
In College Basketball, there's always a chance someone could throw so much of what a Coach wants at him that the subject Coach leaves. I don't know Coach Shaka but I'll take him at his word and I do think he's here for the long-haul. I believe there are limited reasons he could leave, including, which my SWAG estimates:

1) Restructuring -- If the Power 5 conferences go off on their own and leave the Big East behind, then I'll definitely be worried. If this happens, we will have much larger concerns than our head coach. I think it's possible in the sense the SEC, ACC, Big12, BIG, and Pac12 reorganize and form their own competitive league. In this scenario, all of these conferences may not survive but most of the brand names in them will. The Big East, along with parts of the ACC and Big12 will be out in the cold. Probably of happening: Less than 10 percent.

2) Recruiting -- Coach Shaka has done a marvelous job this year. Probably should be coach of the year nationally. But, three of his starting five are Wojo recruits. Coach Shaka has shown an ability to recruit at Texas, but whether that carries over to Marquette remains to be seen. I'm optimistic about recruiting but the risk is Coach Shaka could be a high-end Mike Deane. Probability of happening: About 10 percent.

3) An Incident -- We've been reminded of the problems incidents could cause down in Alabama in the past week. We've seen these sorts of issues happen over the years. The Chicago Tribune reported one, which got Buzz in deep doodoo. These incidents stretched the patience of the powers that be. Marquette also has a periodic tendency to self-destruct, which happens when some arrogant professors question why we are a "basketball school" or why the basketball coach is the highest paid university employee. From the players standpoint, there's something about the guys Coach Shaka recruits that says incidents are less likely. Probability of happening: Less than 10 percent.

4) The Right Power 5 Offer -- If Coach Shaka had come to us when we first asked him, this would be about 50 percent likely. But, after Texas, I'd think this might be washed out of his system. You never know, but Marquette has been generous and very welcoming. If Coach Shaka can recruit here and we keep putting 17,000 people in the FiServ, this won't happen either. One other reason: any of us who have or had small children know how tough it is to uproot and move families. If Coach and Mrs. Smart are happy here, we'll be fine! Probability of Happening: 20 percent.

I don't think any of these circumstances are likely, which is why I believe Coach Smart is around for the long-haul.

The Vero Beach Babbler has spoken

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2023, 08:33:15 AM »

Well said Brother dgies. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2023, 08:44:55 AM »
dgies

Now, that is the kind of post that creates some real discussion. All very solid points, and all real possibilities. Great post.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2023, 08:50:07 AM »
Well said Brother dgies.

Yes. Well said.   I think the recruiting part is a key.   We have yet to see Shaka’s recruits develop into prime time players.   Likely they will because we CAN say, that even though three starters are Wojo recruits, Shaka did keep them, and Shaka and team have developed them which is key.    Good group on paper coming in next year.   And Top 10 should help recruiting in general.

So . . . I amhoping Shaka is thinking we found a home, his family is happy (which is key) and that they success continues.    He is a great rep for the University too.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2023, 08:51:54 AM »
I don't think the timing is odd.    In fact, due to the spectacular nature of the season, I am surprised it hasn't been discussed more.   Give you something else to obsess over.   For the record, I don't think he is going anywhere.   But I have pondered it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2023, 08:53:21 AM »

I will point out that if you add up these probabilities, and round down the two "less than 10%" to 5%, it still is about 40%.

Which IMO is way too high. At least for now. 5-10 years from now? Who knows. As I have said before, I don't even know if HE knows what that future looks like.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2023, 08:57:46 AM »
Unlike TC, Shaka isn’t recruiting multiple 5* kids and blaming MU if they choose to go other places. Shaka can recruit #50-150 kids and make it work.
Recruiting is the last concern I have with Shaka.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2023, 09:02:49 AM »
Recruiting is the least of my concerns. I think Shaka has made a point to not go after 5 stars, but I have no doubt he could land them if that is the direction he takes.

I have no idea what Shaka’s future holds, but firmly believe that he will be at MU for quite some time.

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2023, 09:04:35 AM »
Recruiting is the least of my concerns. I think Shaka has made a point to not go after 5 stars, but I have no doubt he could land them if that is the direction he takes.

I have no idea what Shaka’s future holds, but firmly believe that he will be at MU for quite some time.

The bolded is exactly what Pakuni said.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2023, 09:09:43 AM »
Yeah, but Goose judged that to be weird timing.  When Goose did it, it was by definition good timing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2023, 09:12:34 AM »
Yeah, but Goose judged that to be weird timing.  When Goose did it, it was by definition good timing.

LOL...yep.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2023, 09:13:28 AM »

So you are saying there is a less than a 50% chance Shaka leaves?