[Today at 02:33:33 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MUbiz
[Today at 02:30:22 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka A+ This Season So Far  (Read 10707 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Shaka A+ This Season So Far
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2023, 09:15:10 AM »
tower

If Farley had mentioned it would you have felt it was a message board full of opinion? Pakuni has not made a direct MU basketball related post in quite some time. Farley is a troll, we get it. IMO pakuni was throwing cold water on a great day.

Yep, I wrote that Shaka has earned a raise and an extension. A real wet blanket of a remark.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2023, 09:16:46 AM »

I will point out that if you add up these probabilities, and round down the two "less than 10%" to 5%, it still is about 40%.

Which IMO is way too high. At least for now. 5-10 years from now? Who knows. As I have said before, I don't even know if HE knows what that future looks like.

Brother Sultan:

These are not cumulative. They are stand-alone. Realistically, very little chance Coach Shaka out the door.

Brother Doc: Sorry if you think I babble. Next time, just don't read it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 09:18:50 AM by dgies9156 »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2023, 09:22:33 AM »
Unlike TC, Shaka isn’t recruiting multiple 5* kids and blaming MU if they choose to go other places. Shaka can recruit #50-150 kids and make it work.
Recruiting is the last concern I have with Shaka.
Actually, that is more or less my only concern with Skaka.

He has proven he can build culture. He has proven he has a vision and a system. He has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he can develop players.

I think his record is still in progress in proving whether he can consistently recruit at the level to keep what he has built going. I certainly hope he can, and I *think* he can, but I wouldn't yet to say he has proven it at MU. A bit too early to say it with certainty IMO.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2023, 09:25:42 AM »
Everything I own...

The only thing MU needs to worry about is the NBA.  Collegewise, Shaka is home.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2023, 09:28:21 AM »
Brother Doc: Sorry if you think I babble. Next time, just don't read it.

Au contraire. When Brother Dgies gets on a roll and waxes on poetically, this is must see TV.

Someone put some Brussel spouts in your eggs today?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2023, 09:51:23 AM »
Pakuni

Real simple, you seldom post anything on the MU basketball program, and I thought your post and timing was strange. Truthfully, you really said little of note and I should have ignored your post. I might be in the minority, but yesterday was a special day for the program and I was extremely proud to be supporting a program that is being run by Shaka Smart.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2023, 09:54:58 AM »
Pakuni

Real simple, you seldom post anything on the MU basketball program, and I thought your post and timing was strange.

You mean when he responded to something that Muggsy said, who initially was responding to you?  How on earth is that post and timing in any way "strange" on a message board?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2023, 10:00:12 AM »
Pakuni

I should have ignored your post.

There's still time. You're somewhere around 7-10 comments about Pakuni's post (and counting). It's never to late to start ignoring a post and move on. Resume celebrating MU's big day (and year).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 10:50:25 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2023, 10:18:20 AM »
Pakuni

Real simple, you seldom post anything on the MU basketball program, and I thought your post and timing was strange. Truthfully, you really said little of note and I should have ignored your post. I might be in the minority, but yesterday was a special day for the program and I was extremely proud to be supporting a program that is being run by Shaka Smart.

Just so we understand the timeline:

Goose: "I hope MU gives Shaka big raise an extension ASAP."
Mugsy: "Couldn't agree more Goose.  Don't screw around, give him an immediate raise/extension."
Pakuni: "Sure, he's earned it."
Goose: The timing of that remark is strange.

Methinks you're trying too hard to be surly.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2023, 10:56:46 AM »
Just so we understand the timeline:

Goose: "I hope MU gives Shaka big raise an extension ASAP."
Mugsy: "Couldn't agree more Goose.  Don't screw around, give him an immediate raise/extension."
Pakuni: "Sure, he's earned it."
Goose: The timing of that remark is strange.

Methinks you're trying too hard to be surly.

I'm shocked the guy who publicly pronounced (twice, actually) that he was done as a fan with the Marquette program and wouldn't even stoop to the level of accepting free tickets to a game because he was too embarrassed would be playacting surly.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2023, 11:02:25 AM »
Golden

What brings you to a Marquette basketball thread?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2023, 11:07:41 AM »
I have been looking for some national perspective on the NCOY and while everyone on Scoop thinks Shaka should win it seems like the prevailing thoughts are Painter or Tang. I was watching the Baylor-OK State game last night and the announcers were ready to hand it to Tang on the spot. I’m just not sure I understand why. What Shaka has done with a young, unproven team that lost so much scoring is just incredible.

Shaka certainly belongs in the conversation and it wouldn't be an upset if won it, but Tang is just as worthy of a candidate. We were picked 9/11 in the second or third toughest conference. Kansas State was picked 10/10, dead last in the toughest conference. Right now, Kansas State is most likely one spot ahead of us on the S-Curve. I can understand the argument that K-State was expected to be worse than we were and is likely going to finish in roughly the same spot as us. I think the luster has come off of Painter a little bit in recent weeks but he also deserves to bein the conversation. Personally, I would take Shaka and Tang over the field if I was betting.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2023, 11:10:14 AM »
It's Shaka, Tang or Painter.

With Shaka trending up fast. Painter trending down fast. Tang staying very steady.

Oats torpedo'd absolutely any chance he had by publicly revealing himself as a scumbag.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2023, 11:18:12 AM »
Golden

What brings you to a Marquette basketball thread?

Your gatekeeping is cringe, stop

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2023, 11:20:13 AM »
In College Basketball, there's always a chance someone could throw so much of what a Coach wants at him that the subject Coach leaves. I don't know Coach Shaka but I'll take him at his word and I do think he's here for the long-haul. I believe there are limited reasons he could leave, including, which my SWAG estimates:

1) Restructuring -- If the Power 5 conferences go off on their own and leave the Big East behind, then I'll definitely be worried. If this happens, we will have much larger concerns than our head coach. I think it's possible in the sense the SEC, ACC, Big12, BIG, and Pac12 reorganize and form their own competitive league. In this scenario, all of these conferences may not survive but most of the brand names in them will. The Big East, along with parts of the ACC and Big12 will be out in the cold. Probably of happening: Less than 10 percent.

2) Recruiting -- Coach Shaka has done a marvelous job this year. Probably should be coach of the year nationally. But, three of his starting five are Wojo recruits. Coach Shaka has shown an ability to recruit at Texas, but whether that carries over to Marquette remains to be seen. I'm optimistic about recruiting but the risk is Coach Shaka could be a high-end Mike Deane. Probability of happening: About 10 percent.

3) An Incident -- We've been reminded of the problems incidents could cause down in Alabama in the past week. We've seen these sorts of issues happen over the years. The Chicago Tribune reported one, which got Buzz in deep doodoo. These incidents stretched the patience of the powers that be. Marquette also has a periodic tendency to self-destruct, which happens when some arrogant professors question why we are a "basketball school" or why the basketball coach is the highest paid university employee. From the players standpoint, there's something about the guys Coach Shaka recruits that says incidents are less likely. Probability of happening: Less than 10 percent.

4) The Right Power 5 Offer -- If Coach Shaka had come to us when we first asked him, this would be about 50 percent likely. But, after Texas, I'd think this might be washed out of his system. You never know, but Marquette has been generous and very welcoming. If Coach Shaka can recruit here and we keep putting 17,000 people in the FiServ, this won't happen either. One other reason: any of us who have or had small children know how tough it is to uproot and move families. If Coach and Mrs. Smart are happy here, we'll be fine! Probability of Happening: 20 percent.

I don't think any of these circumstances are likely, which is why I believe Coach Smart is around for the long-haul.

I think #2 and #4 are close to 0%. #3 is always possible but I have no fears about that currently.

#1, I think is a concern but I don't think the restructure will look like how you described, though your guess is as good as mine. I think the Big East will have a place in the new world order should it come but I honestly don't expect it to come in the foreseeable future.

I think the one you're missing is what Lens brought up, the NBA. I've never gotten the impression that Shaka aspires to be an NBA coach but I don't think anyone knows (including Shaka) how he would respond if he got that phone call.

I think what will ultimately bring Shaka's reign to an end is early retirement. He strikes me as the kind of guy who may retire in his early 50s which I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for. I think we are going to have a lot of fun between now and then.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2023, 11:23:05 AM »
I think #2 and #4 are close to 0%. #3 is always possible but I have no fears about that currently.

#1, I think is a concern but I don't think the restructure will look like how you described, though your guess is as good as mine. I think the Big East will have a place in the new world order should it come but I honestly don't expect it to come in the foreseeable future.

I think the one you're missing is what Lens brought up, the NBA. I've never gotten the impression that Shaka aspires to be an NBA coach but I don't think anyone knows (including Shaka) how he would respond if he got that phone call.

I think what will ultimately bring Shaka's reign to an end is early retirement. He strikes me as the kind of guy who may retire in his early 50s which I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for. I think we are going to have a lot of fun between now and then.

I wonder how Billy Donovan views the NBA lifestyle. I’m sure him and Shaka have had some conversations. Shaka really seems to embrace the development of men piece of the college game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2023, 11:23:56 AM »
Bill Self is in the discussion.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2023, 11:25:18 AM »
I wonder how Billy Donovan views the NBA lifestyle. I’m sure him and Shaka have had some conversations. Shaka really seems to embrace the development of men piece of the college game.

Billy's on his 2nd NBA job and could have any college job in America right now.  That should answer your question.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Goose

• All American
« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2023, 11:55:14 AM »
The Lens

I think it is natural for any college basketball coach to have some type of interest in coaching in the NBA. For the first time in a long time, I cannot think of a good reason why an MU coach would explore another college job. I would be beyond floored if Shaka took another college job in the upcoming years.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2023, 12:24:08 PM »
Ben Steele did a pod recently where he said he gets vibes that Shaka is here to stay as long as he coaches basketball. But that his interests change so much he thinks he'll retire young
Maigh Eo for Sam

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2023, 02:15:58 PM »
Ben Steele did a pod recently where he said he gets vibes that Shaka is here to stay as long as he coaches basketball. But that his interests change so much he thinks he'll retire young
Maybe I’m being naive but this is kind of what I expect. He’s seen what else is out there and is more likely to be our coach K than Crean.
No Finish Line

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2023, 02:30:41 PM »
Came to Marquette so he could play the underdog card and he's already blown that in his second season.

C-

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2023, 03:22:57 PM »
Dgies, nice post.

I’m also of the belief that in this Coach Shaka and Marquette union both sides will find happiness for a long long time.
Hard to say how long that is, as life can be fickle, here today gowne tomorrow.

That said, if I had to pick one route of potential “early” exit it would be the incident.
I don’t worry much about an incident from Shaka’s end, I think we are good there.
I would worry more about an incident from the University’s end.
Something along the lines of what the rumors were with Coach Jay Wright’s exit at Villanova.

Shaka seems like a man that is extremely intuitive, very intelligent and has great abilities in leadership.
Along the same lines, both he and his wife have a strong core of beliefs that mean a great deal to them.
If those beliefs were to ever come at a crossroads with those of the University or board of trustees/higher “donating” members of the Marquette fanbase, and he or his wife felt “wronged” in some way, or misaligned at the very least, I could see a mode of exit.

Again, I expect a long reign at Marquette.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 03:24:29 PM by DoctorV »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2023, 03:43:59 PM »
Dgies, nice post.

I’m also of the belief that in this Coach Shaka and Marquette union both sides will find happiness for a long long time.
Hard to say how long that is, as life can be fickle, here today gowne tomorrow.

That said, if I had to pick one route of potential “early” exit it would be the incident.
I don’t worry much about an incident from Shaka’s end, I think we are good there.
I would worry more about an incident from the University’s end.
Something along the lines of what the rumors were with Coach Jay Wright’s exit at Villanova.

Shaka seems like a man that is extremely intuitive, very intelligent and has great abilities in leadership.
Along the same lines, both he and his wife have a strong core of beliefs that mean a great deal to them.
If those beliefs were to ever come at a crossroads with those of the University or board of trustees/higher “donating” members of the Marquette fanbase, and he or his wife felt “wronged” in some way, or misaligned at the very least, I could see a mode of exit.

Again, I expect a long reign at Marquette.

Brother Doctor:

One of the things that happens when you're really good for a really long time is complacency. There becomes a sense that you'll always be good, regardless of circumstances and there's nothing that can change the inherent excellence of our program.

I don't know what Jay Wright felt about Villanova but I can speak to Marquette, a little bit. Coach McGuire made us complacent. We felt it was an obligation of the college basketball world to include us in the NCAA. We were Final Four twice and probably should have been two or three more times between 1967 and 1977. After Coach McGuire left, there was a general view that we were going to be a Top 5 or 10 team forever, kind of like Duke.

When we lost to Miami of Ohio in 1978, it was the beginning of the end. Few of us knew it, but it was. Hank wasn't Al and the recruits that used to go to Marquette, for one reason or another, went elsewhere. We went from Cracked Sidewalks to the Back 40 and never fully appreciated how hard Coach McGuire worked.

We're in a honeymoon with Coach and Mrs. Smith now. Coach can do no wrong and both he and Mrs. Smith's commitment to Milwaukee is strong. They're new in town and we love them. But what's going to happen if we're not sixth next year? Or higher? Even North Carolina and Duke have off years. Dean Smith and Coach K were incredible people too but what kept them off the first bus out of town is they win.

The message is we as MU fans have to be grateful. The day the professors or administrators start complaining about the basketball program; the day anyone questions the commitment to it or simply the day we become complacent and wonder why we don't have more banners next to the 1977 one is the day we are on borrowed time with our coach. Lets enjoy what we have.

Most of all, don't forget to say thank you to the team and Coach!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2023, 04:09:19 PM »
dgies

Another great post. I will add that this season very easily could prove to be a once in long time type season. Complacency sucks and so does unrealistic expectations.

I truly believe this is a once in a blue moon season and it is going to be hard to replicate. Have said it many times, I believe Shaka will have more talented teams, but very likely not one with this magic.

That has been my point along, we all should be enjoying every minute of the rest season and being grateful for what we are watching. It has been beyond unbelievable, imo, and hope it has some more legs to it.