[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shaka A+ This Season So Far  (Read 10248 times)

oilcan

• Team Captain
Re: Shaka A+ This Season So Far
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2023, 08:17:24 PM »
Oso is the key to everything that's happening here. Tall enough and smooth enough to score and not really force it because there are so many ways for this team to score. Team player. Makes smart decisions and runs up the court like a gazelle and plays press in the back court. He's a shot blocker. Amazing talent.  Next year he will come back after adding on 10 pounds and become a beast.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2023, 09:14:58 PM »
I would also give Shaka an A+. However, this team would not beat the 1975/76 team, which is my favorite MU team of all-time.
Top 6 scorers Tatum, Lee, Ellis, Walton, Whitehead and Toone all played in NBA.

If you could put them in a time machine to play a game,  this team would beat 76 team 9 times out of 10 if today's rules were used.  Maybe evenly matched if 76 rules were used
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2023, 09:35:41 PM »
If you could put them in a time machine to play a game,  this team would beat 76 team 9 times out of 10 if today's rules were used.  Maybe evenly matched if 76 rules were used

Says someone who never saw MU’s 1976 team. Unless you’re saying as the 76 roster is current day. Then maybe.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2023, 11:27:55 PM »
Says someone who never saw MU’s 1976 team. Unless you’re saying as the 76 roster is current day. Then maybe.

I don't need to have seen the 1976 team. Athletes now are bigger, faster, stronger, and have had better coaching and training for much longer than they did in the 1970s. The new rules would also be hell to adjust to.

This isn't mean to disparage. The 1976 team was a much better team for their time period than the current team is for this time period (though this team has time to prove that wrong) and should be held in higher esteem. Comparing across eras doesn't really work in basketball, all you can really do is judge teams how good they were for their own era and compare that to how good other teams were for their eras.

Also, are you old enough to have seen the 1976 team? If so I apologize, I've always assumed you were a lot younger.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PointWarrior

• All American
Re: Shaka Gets an A+ This Season
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2023, 11:36:57 PM »
A- cause of the Badger game
 :-*

Seriously, all this needed was a "so far."

I don't think many of us would say Shaka should grade less than A (if not A+) for this season SO FAR.

That's fair and it's real and it still allows for great things to happen over the next 2 months.

And I'm pretty sure that's what Muggs was saying.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2023, 06:35:57 AM »
Nice post Muggsy.

Only thing it truly lacks is some Medieval flare.

In order for it to truly become an A+ season, through to the end, is for you to bring that back.

We don’t want an early guillotine

I think I have only invoked going "medieval"  a hand full of times this year.  Jop went off with 8 triples and that was one example of medievability.  I like teams that possess SZM traits Dr. V: Spurtability, Zoomability, and of course Medievability.  I'm hopeful that in the very near future we will have rosters littered with SZM guys which will lead to ruthless domination.  :)

Goose

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2023, 06:52:23 AM »
TAMU

Six guys on the ‘76 team saw NBA action. Unfortunately they ended playing a team that the starting five were all first round draft picks.

Impossible to compare teams from different era’s on a head to head basis, only how they fared during their era. ‘76 is way beyond this team in talent and accomplishments. That said, I would have to think hard on a team being more exciting to watch than this year.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2023, 07:17:11 AM »
TAMU

Six guys on the ‘76 team saw NBA action. Unfortunately they ended playing a team that the starting five were all first round draft picks.

Impossible to compare teams from different era’s on a head to head basis, only how they fared during their era. ‘76 is way beyond this team in talent and accomplishments. That said, I would have to think hard on a team being more exciting to watch than this year.

Love him or hate him, Robert could recruit and coach like few others in his prime.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2023, 07:36:38 AM »
TAMU

I was at that game in Baton Rouge and it felt like Championship Monday. Obviously, IU was loaded, but we were right there, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2023, 07:46:10 AM »
I kills me how the NCAAs didn’t become modern until 1979, much like pro football didn’t until Super Bowl I.

Fans don’t understand the tournament didn’t seed back then.  Us & Indiana in the same bracket. Ridiculous.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2023, 08:03:24 AM »
I don't need to have seen the 1976 team. Athletes now are bigger, faster, stronger, and have had better coaching and training for much longer than they did in the 1970s. The new rules would also be hell to adjust to.

This isn't mean to disparage. The 1976 team was a much better team for their time period than the current team is for this time period (though this team has time to prove that wrong) and should be held in higher esteem. Comparing across eras doesn't really work in basketball, all you can really do is judge teams how good they were for their own era and compare that to how good other teams were for their eras.

I do understand what you're saying, TAMU, so I'll posit this:

Put the 1975-76 Warriors in a time machine to the future, and give them all the training and coaching and offseason programs and charter flights and other advantages that current players have, and I think they'd fare pretty darn well against the current Golden Eagles -- or any current team.

I won't go all hyperbole and say they'd win 9 times out of 10, which is a fun phrase but obviously impossible to prove no matter which of us might say it about which team in which era.

If you don't think Tatum, Lee, Walton, Whitehead, Ellis, Toone and Rosenberger were plenty athletic and skilled enough to have played in this era -- especially if they could have received even a little modern training -- well, I'm not one to throw out a "know basketball" line against a fellow knower of basketball!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2023, 08:14:49 AM »
I kills me how the NCAAs didn’t become modern until 1979, much like pro football didn’t until Super Bowl I.

Fans don’t understand the tournament didn’t seed back then.  Us & Indiana in the same bracket. Ridiculous.

Wasn't the Ohio St. loss that one year in the dance also a travesty? 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2023, 08:16:44 AM »
Goose, we are going to New Orleans with friends the first weekend in April. My wife and I were talking about whether we wanted to go to our next destination on that Monday or if we want to stay another night in NOLA.

I said, "Well, whatever we decide, we need to be settled in plenty of time for me to watch the national championship game that Monday night. I know this sounds crazy, but Marquette really could be playing in it."

Actually, I don't think it's all that crazy. So I guess you could say I have some lofty expectations, too.
On this MU82 world tour, why not make Houston the next destination and see our heroes live in person play for the trophy? Should be plenty of seats available, since the Houston Unbeatables aren't going to be there.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2023, 09:07:41 AM »
Doc

That game in Baton Rouge was the National Championship game, unfortunately it was played a week early. Two fantastic teams filled with NBA players on both sides. They were a better team, but '76 was sacked beyond belief.

I have no idea how to compare that team with the current team and it seems like a silly debate to me. This team will go down as my favorite post Al team if we have a run in March. There is nothing not to like about this team.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2023, 09:43:07 AM »
On this MU82 world tour, why not make Houston the next destination and see our heroes live in person play for the trophy? Should be plenty of seats available, since the Houston Unbeatables aren't going to be there.

Right now, we're scheduled to go to Florida after NOLA ... but I think Houston is only about 5 hours away.

I like how you think, lawdog. I don't think I'll make any reservations with cancellation penalties just in case we have to go watch Marquette win the national title!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2023, 09:53:35 AM »

Also, are you old enough to have seen the 1976 team? If so I apologize, I've always assumed you were a lot younger.

...and the opposite would be true also. With no 3pt play don't have to defend the arc. With no clock shot you could hold the ball with a modest lead (Dean's 4 corner offense). The game is quite different as I do prefer today's game. Big centers dominated the game back then, not so much now.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2023, 09:54:29 AM »

Yes it is hard to judge athletes across eras.

However, the 75-76 MU Squad was loaded with guys who were very unique athletic specimens. These guys had physical skills that could transcend eras. They had quickness and cohesiveness  which made them a force to be reckoned with.  I saw this team play live many games and can testify that not only where they elite athletically, their individual and collective basketball IQ was off the charts.

Al has said this was his best squad. They won 23 straight games for a reason.

Bo Ellis a silky smooth  and quick 6-9 forward , 4 year starter with big production scoring and rebounds every year. Guys like that don't  grow on trees.

Butch Lee a powerful and quick 6 foot guard who knew how to use his broad shouldered body  driving to the hoop , was ultimately a National Player of The Year. 

Lloyd Walton, Team Captain, All American, Lightning quick and smart leader of the offense.

Earl Tatum, A 6-5 strong body , quick guard with all time great skills  , All American, Who could score rebound and was tenacious as hell on defense.  Very hard to defend against. Played within Al's offensive structure which was about team not individual play

Jerome Whitehead, 6-10, Rugged and Agile , Commanded an inside presence and struck fear into those coming into the lane.

Bernard Toone, 6-9, Incredible Skills and Range on Jumper, Was a player well ahead of his time. Unfortunately , no three pointer then.

The 75-76 team had the misfortune of being in the same region as the Indiana team, who as was pointed out by MU82, had one of the all time great starting lineups, with guys who were all ahead of the  their time in skills and athleticism as well.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2023, 09:58:55 AM »
Next year is the 50th anniversary of the natty runner up team.  They will have their night like this year's F4 team.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2023, 04:53:54 PM »
CBS Sports Weekly Report Card

Marquette   A   Shaka Smart's club posted another perfect week in the win column with home wins over Villanova and Butler to improve to 13-1 at home this season. Picked to finish ninth in the league this preseason, the Golden Eagles remain a tremendous story as a legitimate contender in the Big East.

Class71

• All American
Re: Shaka Gets an A+ This Season
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2023, 05:55:53 PM »
In true scoop fashion, can someone start a poll now of how many wins Shaka needs to earn an A+?

I would say 21.57 conference wins before the tournament starts.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2023, 01:51:16 PM »
I stand by my original comments.  Marquette is the greatest story of this college basketball season.  Shaka should be NCOY.

#RESURGENCE

Goose

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2023, 02:08:16 PM »
Muggsy

Better than A+, I hope MU gives Shaka big raise an extension ASAP.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2023, 02:25:07 PM »
Muggsy

Better than A+, I hope MU gives Shaka big raise an extension ASAP.

Couldn't agree more Goose.  Don't screw around, give him an immediate raise/extension. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2023, 03:29:27 PM »
Only 3 years and 1 month before we can form an initial opinion on Shaka

——
I hope I’m not being too naive, but I feel like Shaka likes being at MU and there’s a good chance he’ll be with us for a long time
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2023, 04:03:25 PM »
Only 3 years and 1 month before we can form an initial opinion on Shaka

——
I hope I’m not being too naive, but I feel like Shaka likes being at MU and there’s a good chance he’ll be with us for a long time

Probably. I think he might be here for the rest of his career but i could also see him retiring in his 50s