Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka A+ This Season So Far  (Read 10587 times)

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
Re: Shaka Gets an A+ This Season
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2023, 01:16:12 PM »
We're 2/3 through so I got ahead of myself but I think everyone catches my drift.  This group has to tools to ascend to greater heights.  That's really my main point.  And we are definitely not excruciatingly boring like other teams.

Not only do they have what it takes, this team is playing with house money. They have something to prove (“F em”) and there’s no pressure on them.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2023, 01:38:36 PM »
Anything less than a national championship is an F
Loss to Wisconsin means even with a natty the ceiling is a C
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2023, 01:45:26 PM »
Seriously, all this needed was a "so far."

I don't think many of us would say Shaka should grade less than A (if not A+) for this season SO FAR.

That's fair and it's real and it still allows for great things to happen over the next 2 months.

And I'm pretty sure that's what Muggs was saying.

I jumped the gun a bit so I changed it.  Ty.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2023, 01:47:17 PM »
Loss to Wisconsin means even with a natty the ceiling is a C

Yup.  Al McGuire never lost to Wisconsin
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2023, 02:01:48 PM »
Blue, he took a program in complete disarray and in less than two years has us in prime position despite only having one big and modest size.  If we get a 2/3 seed that's an A+ in my book.  Especially when you consider we were picked 9th by the coaches.  Meanwhile Michigan is a unmitigated disaster.

Michigan missing the NCAA tournament after 5 straight years of reaching the Sweet 16 (or better) has nothing to do with anything here.

I guess I'm just a tougher grader than you are. A+ suggests to me that it couldn't possibly be better. and if the team wins the Big East and gets a preferred seed, it isn't unreasonable to expect an NCAA win or two to top it off.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2023, 02:25:23 PM »

While Al dominated UW, that isn't true. His record against Bucky was 20-3. They often played twice a season in those years.

1SE

• All American
Re: Shaka A+ This Season So Far
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2023, 03:44:32 PM »
Idk about grades until after he's had his first test
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2023, 03:50:11 PM »
Michigan missing the NCAA tournament after 5 straight years of reaching the Sweet 16 (or better) has nothing to do with anything here.

I guess I'm just a tougher grader than you are. A+ suggests to me that it couldn't possibly be better. and if the team wins the Big East and gets a preferred seed, it isn't unreasonable to expect an NCAA win or two to top it off.

Blue,

A 2 seed is in play and we were picked to finish 9th in our conference.  Now yes, NCAA wins are ultimately what matters but  you know me well enough that this goes without saying. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2023, 03:58:42 PM »
How can you possibly give any grade if we don't take advantage of the opportunity?

That's fair.  I can get overzealous and ahead of things. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2023, 03:59:28 PM »
That's fair.  I can get overzealous and ahead of things.

Yeah. You should smoke some weed
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2023, 03:59:39 PM »

Outstanding.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2023, 04:12:55 PM »
I can't believe I missed this one.   Bravo.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2023, 04:37:28 PM »

This. As well as his blatant aversion to winning close games by having his teams win by a lot. What’s he afraid of???

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2023, 04:45:04 PM »
Anything less than a national championship is an F
Yes
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2023, 04:48:34 PM »
No close game wins disqualifies Shaka
Goal is National Championship

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2023, 04:57:00 PM »
Muggsy

I do not think you are ahead of yourself. In less than two years Shaka has build an identity for the program and the excitement is real. More importantly, many folks think they are just getting started. What he has done in short order is well above of my lofty expectations.

Negative to that, my expectations have risen a great deal. MU needs to win in March and keep the mojo going. This program is just getting out of the starting blocks and they need to keep winning.

I still am hesitant to say out loud what I think they can accomplish this year, but it is much bigger than winning the BE title. It is time to show the country that MU basketball is back.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2023, 05:13:34 PM »
Muggsy

I do not think you are ahead of yourself. In less than two years Shaka has build an identity for the program and the excitement is real. More importantly, many folks think they are just getting started. What he has done in short order is well above of my lofty expectations.

Negative to that, my expectations have risen a great deal. MU needs to win in March and keep the mojo going. This program is just getting out of the starting blocks and they need to keep winning.

I still am hesitant to say out loud what I think they can accomplish this year, but it is much bigger than winning the BE title. It is time to show the country that MU basketball is back.

I hear you Goose.  Imo we can play at a higher level which excites me moving towards the NCAA tournament. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 05:18:33 PM by MuggsyB »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2023, 05:17:38 PM »
Muggsy

The program is still in second gear. Lot of upside to enjoy in the upcoming weeks.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2023, 05:59:36 PM »
Muggsy

No one who attended Marquette ever got an A+.  But A and AB are acceptable grades.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2023, 06:45:24 PM »
When Smart took the job I looked at the roster and considered the trajectory of the young talent and tried to factor in what was leaving and envisioned MU being in a position to be highly successful next season. The 3rd year. And I posted my opinion on this forum at the time. The development we have seen this year has surprised me because of Oso and the fact that the youngsters are talented enough to compete as sophomores and even freshmen.  Wrightsil’s injury hurt. Darn it. But the coaching and the concept Shaka believes in has elevated the team much more quickly than I believed would happen. Getting to 32 or even 16 in this year’s tournament will motivate this young team to work harder and come back next year even more determined because they will have worked together long enough to make the effort easier by recognizing their strengths and playing team basketball. Next year a great recruiting class will come in and push everyone in practice more and more. I’m not saying that this team is going to crash and burn in the next 5 weeks, I’m just saying, I don’t expect to see an elite 8 finish this year. Next year is a different story.  When I look at the situation this year I see a MU team that could surprise a lot of folks because the field isn’t as talented as it was in previous years. I wish we could have next years MU team playing this year. Go Warriors.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2023, 06:54:02 PM »
Goose, we are going to New Orleans with friends the first weekend in April. My wife and I were talking about whether we wanted to go to our next destination on that Monday or if we want to stay another night in NOLA.

I said, "Well, whatever we decide, we need to be settled in plenty of time for me to watch the national championship game that Monday night. I know this sounds crazy, but Marquette really could be playing in it."

Actually, I don't think it's all that crazy. So I guess you could say I have some lofty expectations, too.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2023, 06:58:21 PM »
I would also give Shaka an A+. However, this team would not beat the 1975/76 team, which is my favorite MU team of all-time.
Top 6 scorers Tatum, Lee, Ellis, Walton, Whitehead and Toone all played in NBA.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2023, 07:01:25 PM »
I would also give Shaka an A+. However, this team would not beat the 1975/76 team, which is my favorite MU team of all-time.
Top 6 scorers Tatum, Lee, Ellis, Walton, Whitehead and Toone all played in NBA.

So? There are lots of teams this one probably wouldn't beat, including the Indiana team that beat those Warriors on the way to the last unbeaten championship season in college basketball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2023, 07:30:46 PM »
Bilsu

‘76 is my favorite team as well. They were stacked!!

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2023, 08:10:41 PM »
Nice post Muggsy.

Only thing it truly lacks is some Medieval flare.

In order for it to truly become an A+ season, through to the end, is for you to bring that back.

We don’t want an early guillotine

feedback