'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:24:20 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:13 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by BrewCity83
[Today at 03:23:55 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Attendance  (Read 18360 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Attendance
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2023, 02:10:12 PM »
The students don't suck
The marketing department does suck
The concessions don't suck
The DJ absolutely, positively sucks
Milwaukee is scary

The Badgers unquestionably suck.
The Big Ten unquestionably sucks.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2023, 02:13:42 PM »
Funny,
When I’m around Marquette people, I always have a good time. I also genuinely like 95+% of them.

I will slightly amend Al McGuire’s quote about what a good education consists of>>>>

Everyone should get a college degree and then spend four months as a bartender, four months as a cab driver, and four months as a golf caddie. Only then would they be truly be “educated”. 

Scoop is like a caddie yard, with a sprinkle of horse track 🏇🏽. Everyone has an opinion, and some are very strong. It’s a beautiful tapestry of divergent views on life. We are all basically Damon Runyon characters. People are gonna piss each other off. Sometimes you just have to go about your business, turn the other cheek, and do your job. Let’s remember in the end what unites us.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2023, 02:16:49 PM »
Are you people nuts?

No seriously, are you nuts.

I read about all this supposed "crime" in downtown Milwaukee around the FiServ. From what I read in here, every third woman is raped; no one gets out without being mugged and about one or two people a night get a bodily insertion of lead!

C'mon now. No wonder people think we white folk intensely dislike the black folk. When we won't share a good time with our brothers and sisters not like us because we think they'll commit crimes against us, we white folks are the ones who act like as**oles. And, yes, like it or not, this is a racial issue.

Last Thanksgiving, some idiot entered the parking lot at Orlando International Airport, drove around and stole gas from people's cars. Do I avoid airports because of gas pirates? Hint: my car is sitting on the roof of MCO as I write this. My house was broken into years ago by some idiots (probably teenagers). Do I suddenly have burglar bars, a massive collection of weapons and four different alarm systems. Hint: I lived there for 28 years and was burglarized once! The answer is a hearty NO!!!!

I'm old enough to be, in Brother Newsdreams' words, a "geezer" but I lived on the Marquette campus in the mid-to-late 1970s. You take reasonable safety precautions and assume everyone is your brother and sister and I promise you your attitude changes.

Brother TAMU, Knower of Ball, is right: I too choose not to live in fear!

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2023, 02:19:54 PM »
Are you people nuts?

I read about all this supposed "crime" in downtown Milwaukee around the FiServ. From what I read in here, every third woman is raped; no one gets out without being mugged and about one or two people a night get a bodily insertion of lead!

C'mon now. No wonder people think we white folk intensely dislike the black folk. When we won't share a good time with our brothers and sisters not like us because we think they'll commit crimes against us, we white folks are the ones who act like as**oles. And, yes, like it or not, this is a racial issue.

Last Thanksgiving, some idiot entered the parking lot at Orlando International Airport, drove around and stole gas from people's cars. Do I avoid airports because of gas pirates? Hint: my car is sitting on the roof of MCO as I write this. My house was broken into years ago by some idiots (probably teenagers). Do I suddenly have burglar bars, a massive collection of weapons and four different alarm systems. Hint: I lived there for 28 years and was burglarized once! The answer is a hearty NO!!!!

I'm old enough to be, in Brother Newsdreams' words, a "geezer" but I lived on the Marquette campus in the mid-to-late 1970s. You take reasonable safety precautions and assume everyone is your brother and sister and I promise you your attitude changes.

FEAR District?

Fun
Entertainment
And
Recreation
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2023, 02:23:55 PM »
Are you people nuts?

There’s a select few posters terrified of downtown and urban settings.  Most of us aren’t dentists, however
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2023, 02:31:09 PM »
Are you people nuts?

Usually I enjoy picking apart your longer posts to find something i disagree with. Today I just want to slow clap like the end of cool Runnings.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2023, 02:31:57 PM »
Usually I enjoy picking apart your longer posts to find something i disagree with. Today I just want to slow clap like the end of cool Runnings.

Sanka, you dead?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2023, 02:32:00 PM »
To opine on this matter, MU would be trivin' right now had they moved to the campus Concordia now has. When Concordia was essentially on 33rd and State St., it was dyin' on the vine. At present it has not only added enrollment, but added  programs as well (i.e. PA, Pharmacy).
For the record, urban campuses had their run 15 years ago. Not so popular now unless you're a highly selective university like UChicago, UPenn, Yale, etc., hey?

Also, to be clear, Concordia is a big success story. As you mentioned, it was about to close when it was in an even worse location than Marquette. 

But it is a very different school than Marquette. A lot of non-traditional, part time programs. A much lower academic profile. Their success should be celebrated because it takes all types of schools.

But if you think Marquette would have been better off moving up there in the 1980s?  Highly doubtful.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #158 on: February 02, 2023, 02:35:52 PM »
Brother dgies, I could not agree with you more.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #159 on: February 02, 2023, 02:41:32 PM »
Maybe nows the time to talk about the piss poor public transit options in Milwaukee relative to cities its size. I was able to take the L to the wintrust on Saturday, why can't someone do that from Tosa or West Allis or Bayview?

MKE leaned wayyy too hard into car infrastructure and now people are mad about what happens.

They can take the bus.

How many cities the size of Milwaukee have subway/light rail service?
Have some patience, FFS.

Spencer Pratt

• Walk-On
« Reply #160 on: February 02, 2023, 02:42:00 PM »

Why does Creighton draw better than Marquette?  I know there’s nothing to do in Omaha but there’s more people in Milwaukee and Marquette is a bigger school with a bigger basketball tradition.

Creighton was drawing 3k per game up until the late 90's.  Not much history at all.  They have just done a much better job marketing the product to the casual fan in the city / state the last 10 years than Marquette.  And postseason success is not the main reason...they have only made one Sweet 16 in their history. 

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #161 on: February 02, 2023, 02:43:45 PM »
Are you people nuts?

The same people who say crime levels downtown are affecting game attendance are the ones who thought that crime around campus would hurt the size of incoming classes. Shocker.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #162 on: February 02, 2023, 02:49:57 PM »
Creighton was drawing 3k per game up until the late 90's.  Not much history at all.  They have just done a much better job marketing the product to the casual fan in the city / state the last 10 years than Marquette.  And postseason success is not the main reason...they have only made one Sweet 16 in their history.

Yes. Creighton has a rabid fan base with relatively little program accomplishments, somewhat similar to ABD. The similarities end at their respective towns, however. While neither city has pro sports, there is much more to do in Omaha than in Dayton. Any way MU could make a push to hire away someone(s) from one of those two marketing departments?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #163 on: February 02, 2023, 02:57:55 PM »
They can take the bus.

First, let's establish that the MKE light rail might be the most pointless transit system in the country and doesn't really help anyone who would otherwise drive get into the city. Now of the top of my head Kansas City, Cincinnati, Austin, Hartford/New Haven don't but at least have a fast connecting line that runs consistently and would bring near people to the city.

Next busses don't move the needle because 1 they aren't reliable on their schedule due to traffic pattern changes, 2 they've been known to skip stops. So for a 5:30 tip no chance someone from tosa is about to hop on a bus, they may however take a rapid transit line.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #164 on: February 02, 2023, 03:03:23 PM »

Dana Altman did a lot of great work at Creighton.  They were one of the best teams in The Valley when The Valley was at its best.  He had a string of good players, including some Milwaukee kids in Rodney Buford and Ben Walker.  That sustained success, albeit not necessarily in deep March runs, built a strong fanbase.  Arch Madness crowds were almost always overwhelmed with Jays fans

Gregg McDermott has done a fantastic job continuing and building on what Dana Altman began.

It should be noted Eddie Sutton started his career at Creighton, too.  There’s history, just not the kind of history other Big East schools have had.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #165 on: February 02, 2023, 03:05:13 PM »
They can take the bus.

St. Louis

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #166 on: February 02, 2023, 03:07:17 PM »
I think if Milwaukee didn't have the Bucks, Marquette's attendance would be A LOT better. I think Creighton benefits from a lot of the corporate dollars that go to the Bucks here.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2023, 03:15:43 PM »
Why is anyone surprised at the flagging attendance? It is a pain to attend any/all sporting events.

Everyone would rather sit on the couch and watch it in 70 inch 4K.

And no one seems particularly excercised when most of the 2020/2021 season was played in front of zero fans.

But if you really want fans, cancel the fox contract with big East.

———

PS many years ago on the board was this fossil callled MUavenue that would complain that MU was not on “national tv.” By that he meant traditional networks, like CBS and ABC.

He was mocked for being out of touch.

Don’t be that way about attendance.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 03:18:26 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2023, 03:17:41 PM »
I think if Milwaukee didn't have the Bucks, Marquette's attendance would be A LOT better. I think Creighton benefits from a lot of the corporate dollars that go to the Bucks here.

I think if Milwaukee didn't have the Bucks, Marquette would average 3,700 fans per game. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2023, 03:25:24 PM »
I think if Milwaukee didn't have the Bucks, Marquette would average 3,700 fans per game. 

Is that how big the Al is? Cause then this is a good joke.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2023, 03:26:53 PM »
Like this email I just received?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #171 on: February 02, 2023, 03:29:31 PM »
They can take the bus.

The problem with the bus is it doesn't have dedicated lanes and the routes generally suck and transfer points are outdoors.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #172 on: February 02, 2023, 03:32:02 PM »
Why is anyone surprised at the flagging attendance? It is a pain to attend any/all sporting events.

Everyone would rather sit on the couch and watch it in 70 inch 4K.

I wouldn't.  It's ten times better watching in person.  Granted, I have good seats (season tickets), but being there is a whole different, and greater, experience than TV.

Now, if we're talking about the last 10 rows of the upper levels, then yes, you have a point.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2023, 03:50:40 PM »
I wouldn't.  It's ten times better watching in person.  Granted, I have good seats (season tickets), but being there is a whole different, and greater, experience than TV.

Now, if we're talking about the last 10 rows of the upper levels, then yes, you have a point.

I'd have season tickets if I didn't live 2 hours away.

I go to all the weekend games I can.
VIOLENCE!

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2023, 03:58:08 PM »

Seems like you made the point that the last 4,000 seats are unsaleable and those complaining that are not sold are just part of the out of touch swearer vest crowd.

They probably also subscribe to cable too
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

feedback