Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kam Jones  (Read 18909 times)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Re: Kam Jones
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2023, 10:53:17 PM »
If I had to guess, one of Sean or Kam will play on Wednesday.  I'd lean Sean because he can still run and pressure with an injured wrist.

Much tougher for Kam to get up and down with his leg region being the issue.  The depth on Wednesday should be good enough to give them a chance at a win.
VIOLENCE!

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2023, 11:44:59 PM »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2023, 12:21:35 AM »
If I had to guess, one of Sean or Kam will play on Wednesday.  I'd lean Sean because he can still run and pressure with an injured wrist.

Much tougher for Kam to get up and down with his leg region being the issue.  The depth on Wednesday should be good enough to give them a chance at a win.

A chance to win?   ::)

If Kam and Sean sit on Wednesday Marquette should still absolutely be expected to win.

That’s not to say Nova couldn’t beat us on the road but your comments make it sound like we’re facing a typical Jay Wright Nova team.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2023, 12:24:13 AM »

If Kam and Sean sit on Wednesday Marquette should still absolutely be expected to win.

That’s not to say Nova couldn’t beat us on the road but your comments make it sound like we’re facing a typical Jay Wright Nova team.

Well we are now facing a Nova team with 3 starters from last years Final Four team, and that doesn't include Slater and the Top 10 NBA pick in Whitmore.  This isn't Nova of the past 2 months either.

It is going to be a fun and entertaining ballgame whether they play or not though.
VIOLENCE!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2023, 03:40:43 AM »
Lol. Y’all are worrying way too much. We aren’t burning redshirts or giving walk-ons significant minutes. There are plenty of players left who can score significantly.  We should win Wednesday regardless. And if we don’t, there is still plenty of season left.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2023, 05:29:49 AM »
He was not "wearing a brace" he just isn't practicing this week. might play wednesday but sunday is more likely.

Love this site.

"Castigate" unfolding on Scoop

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2023, 05:53:25 AM »

There are a lot of points in between “no chance to win” and “absolutely be expected to win”.

IMHO, if both Joneses don’t play, a game that was likely to be very competitive with MU at full strength would become significantly more difficult to win. I would see it as a tossup because we don’t know how losing 2 of the top 7 pieces of the rotation (including the leading scorer) would upset the chemistry that the team has established.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2023, 06:20:25 AM »
There are a lot of points in between “no chance to win” and “absolutely be expected to win”.

IMHO, if both Joneses don’t play, a game that was likely to be very competitive with MU at full strength would become significantly more difficult to win. I would see it as a tossup because we don’t know how losing 2 of the top 7 pieces of the rotation (including the leading scorer) would upset the chemistry that the team has established.

Sean is 8th in MPG at 12.7.

Chemistry was fine in the 2nd half against DePaul.

I’m not trying to discount either player missing time, especially Kam. Losing his scoring will really hurt and if both miss the game that really impacts our guard depth and puts even more weight on TKO to play a lot of minutes. Jop, Mitchell and Ross will all need to step up.

Kam did have a nice game last time against Nova with 14/3/3. Sean played 3 minutes and did nothing. Omax, Oso and TKO all had underwhelming performances based on what we’ve come to expect.

If they miss the game that obviously helps Nova but a few of you are acting like we’re facing some kind of powerhouse at HOME tomorrow night.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2023, 06:29:26 AM »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2023, 06:33:57 AM »

If they miss the game that obviously helps Nova but a few of you are acting like we’re facing some kind of powerhouse at HOME tomorrow night.

I would say that some people are acting like MU is facing DePaul with a few of their starters missing or a team that MU rolled over when they met the first time.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2023, 06:48:34 AM »
I would say that some people are acting like MU is facing DePaul with a few of their starters missing or a team that MU rolled over when they met the first time.

No one is acting like that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2023, 07:13:56 AM »

I can't speak for "some people," but this people is acting like the team I root for is one of the best in the country and is playing at home. I'm acting like a fan who trusts Marquette's coaching staff and players to be able to execute their system even if 1 or 2 players aren't physically ready to play. I'm acting like someone who is choosing to be confident in his outstanding team rather than going into a game fearing the worst.

I'm also a realist who knows Marquette could lose this or any game, with or without the Joneses. Iowa State just blew a 23-point lead and lost to a team that was 0-8 in the Big 12; Houston lost at home to Temple; Alabama lost by 100 points to a bubble team. It's sports. Some Scoopers (like me and others in this thread) simply tend not to get pre-emptively freaked out.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2023, 07:15:49 AM »
Asking the sinners (gamblers), what's the line on the game? Vegas always knows.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2023, 07:26:54 AM »
My concern for the rest of the season has been injuries.    I don't know what will happen.   I don't know what adjustments Shaka will make if forced to.  (Remember, the absences are hypothetical at this point)   I know what I would do if I were coaching and both missed the game.   I am going to sit back and learn more about the coach and team.   Or not, if both play and play somewhere near their normal game.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2023, 07:33:30 AM »
I'll remind folks of the date tomorrow. The February Fade commences.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2023, 07:35:28 AM »
I'll remind folks of the date tomorrow. The February Fade commences.

Can’t argue with science

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2023, 07:36:49 AM »
Can’t argue with science

Or Logic 101

Goose

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2023, 07:39:49 AM »
Missing a starter is part of college basketball and MU has been fortunate not to have any missed games thus far. They team has 22 games under their belt and have won games with subpar performances by several guys on multiple nights. If this team is a S16, or better, then they will find a way to win if guys are out. Not saying it will be easy, but they have enough weapons to win the next two at home, even shorthanded.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2023, 07:54:47 AM »
I view it this way--we have multiple players that can score in bunches and deep guard set.  Losing one or both guards just makes us have to execute that much better.  Can't absorb as much foul trouble or scoring droughts as we have less degrees of freedom.

That being said there is no reason we don't have the weapons to win a home game on wed.  Seems like the chicken little mindset that Chicos used to bring is still around.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2023, 07:59:49 AM »
Frenns

MU needs a deep March run to make some of the chicken littles forget the past. Hopefully it starts in about five weeks.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2023, 08:33:03 AM »
So, let's start with some of Nova's advantages:

Moore is back. Whitmore is a star freshman who now has Moore to lure away defenders who were able to sometimes bottle him up. And even though we do not know if Kam and Sean are definitely out, let's assume that they are for the sake of discussion.

Now some Marquette advantages:

Joplin and Mitchell have proven themselves. It's crazy to write them off as if they are only a step or two above walk ons. Shaka vs. Neptune and Kolek vs. Arciodiacono- wow! Home court.

Tough game? Sure. But advantage still solidly Marquette. Do we have the game in the bag? Hell no! But a tossup? No way.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 08:50:47 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

ceh

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2023, 09:07:28 AM »
7 players done by 9.

Ben gold is capable and willing. Start jop in for kam.
Chase picks up Sean jones mins.
Ben picks up more min.
And then Itejere can get in even if it’s a few min to just help foul or be extra fouls if needed.

Hope the guys can go this week, but we have plenty of minutes, points, and rebounds on the bench to fill in while guys get healthy. I'm curious to see how the team responds, Jop getting the start, Ben getting more minutes, Stevie and Chase running the action out front. Sounds kind of fun!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2023, 09:17:17 AM »
Both Jones's are listed as "Questionable", not "Doubtful" or "Out", correct?  Or has than been an update?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2023, 09:20:05 AM »
Both Jones's are listed as "Questionable", not "Doubtful" or "Out", correct?  Or has than been an update?

You must remember that Scoop immediately jumps to the worst conclusion possible. Injuries that cause players to be listed as questionable are legitimate reasons to worry about the season, burn redshirts and play walk-ons.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

nyg

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2023, 09:23:44 AM »
You must remember that Scoop immediately jumps to the worst conclusion possible. Injuries that cause players to be listed as questionable are legitimate reasons to worry about the season, burn redshirts and play walk-ons.

I realize that and the number of posts, etc. believing they are not playing tended me to believe I missed something.  That is why I asked if there was an update on the player's status from the "Questionable" announcement.  Big difference from "Doubtfull".

feedback