[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Kolek vs Tony Miller Assist Record  (Read 3216 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Kolek vs Tony Miller Assist Record
« on: January 26, 2023, 09:59:44 AM »
Is anyone tracking Kolek's chances of breaking Tony's record? If Kolek stays four years I think he could actually do it and that seemed like the most untouchable, non McIlvaine, record that MU has.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Kolek vs Tony Miller Assist Record
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 10:09:58 AM »
Is anyone tracking Kolek's chances of breaking Tony's record? If Kolek stays four years I think he could actually do it and that seemed like the most untouchable, non McIlvaine, record that MU has.

Markus Howard's scoring record.  Unless seasons continue to get longer (more games) and/or more worldwide pandemics hit and give players extra years of eligibility.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 10:26:27 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 10:21:49 AM »
Markus Howard's scoring record.  Unless seasons continue to get loner (more games) and/or more worldwide pandemics hit and give players extra years of eligiblity.

I should've specified that I meant long standing record. I agree that was a very special set of long leash, & skilled player not having NBA body.
Maigh Eo for Sam

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 10:48:12 AM »
Kolek has 353 Marquette assists (and another 50 from his time at George Mason).  He had 188 last year and has 165 so far.  There's about a third of the season left, so maybe he gets another 100 to reach a total of about 450 through two years.

Miller had 956.

That's within range, assuming he stays healthy and continues to get about 250 assists per season.  Playing more games in March can only help.  My guess is he is chasing that record in the early spring of '25, but wouldn't crack it until the Big East tourney or later.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/marquette/leaders-and-records-career.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/tyler-kolek-1.html

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 10:53:55 AM »
The fact that Tony Miller had THAT many assists in a Kevin O'Neill offense is something.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 11:38:06 AM »
The fact that Tony Miller had THAT many assists in a Kevin O'Neill offense is something.
Most important player of the KO era
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 11:42:54 AM »
I recently suggested that Kolek had a shot and then looked at the numbers.  Miller’s record is likely safe forever.  It’s amazing how many assists he had.  Kolek certainly can get to second place but it’s highly unlikely he can pass him.  TK can score a lot more than Tony which is a huge difference.

Tony Miller was a huge part of the rebirth of the program under KO.  Very underrated.  Pure PG.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 11:51:07 AM »
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/marquette/leaders-and-records-career.html

Thanks for this link. A lot of really interesting stuff on there. Amazing that three guys from the same recruiting class are three of top four in minutes played in the program's history. Those guys were awesome.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 11:56:52 AM »
I recently suggested that Kolek had a shot and then looked at the numbers.  Miller’s record is likely safe forever.  It’s amazing how many assists he had.  Kolek certainly can get to second place but it’s highly unlikely he can pass him.  TK can score a lot more than Tony which is a huge difference.

Tony Miller was a huge part of the rebirth of the program under KO.  Very underrated.  Pure PG.

Kolek is projected to get 260 assists this regular season. Tony's record is 274. With the BET and NCAA to assure at least two more games, he can break or tie it.

Career-wise, Kolek would project to have 896+. With post season runs, he could conceivably beat 956 if he stays those last two years, barring injury. Will depend on the post season runs.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 01:12:32 PM »
I'll bet Miller keeps the assist record and Kolek wins more games in the NCAA.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023, 01:17:50 PM »

[/quoteTony was awesome. One of my favorites at the point.
Other great ones;
Sam Worthen
Mandy Johnson
Kolek
Dick Nixon
Lloyd Walton
And others I can't think of
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2023, 01:44:27 PM »
I think Kolek will leave as Marquette's all-time assist leader if he is healthy and takes the COVID year. If he gets better between now and then, he may leave with Hurley's record too.

The way this offense is set up is tailor made for someone like Kolek. As long as he's willing to defer and they surround him with people could finish, he could really put up some crazy numbers.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2023, 01:55:12 PM »
I'll bet Miller keeps the assist record and Kolek wins more games in the NCAA.

If he does the latter, he will break the former.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2023, 01:57:59 PM »
Dr. B

As much I as I love Kolek, I hope he is doing something far bigger than playing at MU two years down the road. I was basing my comments off on additional season, not two.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2023, 02:00:17 PM »
Dr. B

As much I as I love Kolek, I hope he is doing something far bigger than playing at MU two years down the road. I was basing my comments off on additional season, not two.

Ok. I was basing my assessment that he will stay, as he stated in the podcast.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2023, 08:09:53 PM »
Ok. I was basing my assessment that he will stay, as he stated in the podcast.

When Shaka said TK has two more years of eligibility after this, felt like a good indicator he'd be here for both.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2023, 08:28:15 PM »
Kolek only has a chance to beat Miller, if MU stops losing the first games in Big East tournament and NCAA tournament.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2023, 08:55:19 PM »

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/tyler-kolek-1.html

Amazing that Lazar is the all-time leader in offensive rebounds and also defensive rebounds, but still trails Don Kojis in total rebounds…
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2023, 09:00:49 PM »
I’m probably going to regret asking this because I’m sure it’s obvious and I’m just not thinking enough, but what other kinds of rebounds are there?  How is Lazar not in 1st place in total rebounds if he’s got the most offensive and defensive rebounds? 

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2023, 09:01:58 PM »
Maybe they didn’t track offensive or defensive rebounds and simply had a single “rebound” stat. The Warrior fans will have to confirm or deny.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2023, 10:47:57 PM »
I’m probably going to regret asking this because I’m sure it’s obvious and I’m just not thinking enough, but what other kinds of rebounds are there?  How is Lazar not in 1st place in total rebounds if he’s got the most offensive and defensive rebounds?

Grabbing the "EASY" Rebounds??  8-)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2023, 05:15:11 AM »
Kolek only has a chance to beat Miller, if MU stops losing the first games in Big East tournament and NCAA tournament.

That would help, but it's not true. He's on pace for 259 this year if we play 33 games (1 BET, 1 NCAA/NIT). If he were to play two more 33-game seasons at that same average, he would pass Miller as a senior with a couple games to spare.

That's why Kolek has a legitimate shot at Hurley's career record. If TK keeps this same exact average for 2 more years, he would finish at 1,015 assists, just 61 shy of Hurley's all-time NCAA record. That's with ZERO postseason wins.

But if he improved his game or did win some postseason games? He could fly by that career number.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2023, 05:59:57 AM »
That would help, but it's not true. He's on pace for 259 this year if we play 33 games (1 BET, 1 NCAA/NIT). If he were to play two more 33-game seasons at that same average, he would pass Miller as a senior with a couple games to spare.

That's why Kolek has a legitimate shot at Hurley's career record. If TK keeps this same exact average for 2 more years, he would finish at 1,015 assists, just 61 shy of Hurley's all-time NCAA record. That's with ZERO postseason wins.

But if he improved his game or did win some postseason games? He could fly by that career number.

Did you include the 50 from his time at George Mason in that calculation?

I think the COVID year is going to put a lot of records in jeopardy.  We've already seen the guy from Detroit Mercy jump into second on the points list behind Pistol Pete.

If they had given Markus a COVID year he might have had a shot at Maravich too.  Just seems unfair

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2023, 06:19:43 AM »
Did you include the 50 from his time at George Mason in that calculation?

I think the COVID year is going to put a lot of records in jeopardy.  We've already seen the guy from Detroit Mercy jump into second on the points list behind Pistol Pete.

If they had given Markus a COVID year he might have had a shot at Maravich too.  Just seems unfair

When it comes to the Marquette record, I don't factor his GMU assists, but when it comes to Hurley's record, absolutely.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2023, 08:55:44 AM »

Miller's best season was 274 assists.
Kolek 33 games @ 8 per game=264

Kolek had 188 assists his first year at MU. Miller had 221+215+274+248. It may be possible, but I believe Kolek will not beat best season or total assists records without post season wins.

What happens, if Kolek plays four years at MU? Currently he listed as having 188 assists as a sophomore. Does his first year get changed to freshmen stats or is going to have two senior stats?