collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2023 MLB Thread  (Read 52061 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2023 MLB Thread
« Reply #375 on: June 06, 2023, 09:25:49 AM »
I'm sure they dangled an early contract to Burnes like they did Peralta, but he said "no thanks."  From then on the writing was on the wall that they were going to use their control as long as they could and consider trade options along the way knowing they weren't going to sign him to a long-term deal.  And they still control him through arbitration next year.

This is how the Brewers have done business since Anastasio bought the team.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #376 on: June 06, 2023, 10:43:02 AM »
I'm sure they dangled an early contract to Burnes like they did Peralta, but he said "no thanks."  From then on the writing was on the wall that they were going to use their control as long as they could and consider trade options along the way knowing they weren't going to sign him to a long-term deal.  And they still control him through arbitration next year.

It's pretty popular with fans, players and fills the trophy case!

Keep up the good work, Mark!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #377 on: June 06, 2023, 10:53:22 AM »
It's pretty popular with fans, players and fills the trophy case!

Keep up the good work, Mark!

Far better than it was before Mark owned the team.  Mark has owned the Brewers for half of my life (17 years before, 17 years since).  In the 17 years before he owned it the Brewers hadn't made the Playoffs at all.  In the 17 years since he's owned the Brewers they've made the Playoffs 5 times.  NCLS twice.  3 division titles.

Obviously it still isn't some awesome organization.  But that's the reality in the MLB where there's no salary cap.  I'm not sure how much more you can expect from a Milwaukee baseball team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #378 on: June 06, 2023, 11:49:59 AM »
Far better than it was before Mark owned the team.  Mark has owned the Brewers for half of my life (17 years before, 17 years since).  In the 17 years before he owned it the Brewers hadn't made the Playoffs at all.  In the 17 years since he's owned the Brewers they've made the Playoffs 5 times.  NCLS twice.  3 division titles.

Obviously it still isn't some awesome organization.  But that's the reality in the MLB where there's no salary cap.  I'm not sure how much more you can expect from a Milwaukee baseball team.

Pre-Mark was the lowest possible bar to clear.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #379 on: June 06, 2023, 11:55:20 AM »

I wish the best to any team that gives Burnes a long-term, guaranteed contract
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #380 on: June 06, 2023, 12:12:15 PM »
Peddle hiz ass at da trade deadline and get a haul like dey did fore Hater, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #381 on: June 06, 2023, 12:14:34 PM »
Peddle hiz ass at da trade deadline and get a haul like dey did fore Hater, aina?

Beats paying him

• All American
« Reply #382 on: June 06, 2023, 12:15:13 PM »

Not only no salary cap, but limited local revenue.  Milwaukee has actually done a solid job here because its revenue apparently exceeds some much larger markets like Miami.  But the reality is that low revenue teams have to be extremely well run on the baseball side of things to be constantly competitive.

I think the Brewers have been run pretty well.  Not great by any means. So this is what you are getting.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #383 on: June 06, 2023, 03:56:17 PM »
deGrom

Wooof
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #384 on: June 06, 2023, 04:07:21 PM »
Sad but not surprising.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #385 on: June 06, 2023, 05:16:21 PM »
Falvey and Levine simply do not stop being the worst front office in sports.

So over a week ago Matt Wallner had reached base EIGHT straight times. They sent him down to get Max Kepler in. Was there a rush to activate Kepler?? Uhh no. Not with logic. Kepler since his activation is 3/26 with 0 walks. LOL.

Wallner proceeds to win minor league player of the week with 3 bombs and like a .500 batting average.

Thursday Buxton gets beaned and Correa hurts his leg(again). Do we make a move?? Nah. We play 3 more games vs a division rival with a short bench. Buxton only just now put on the IL today. Hilarious.

Best part is, we did have to make 1 IL move for the weekend. Call up Wallner?? Nope, minor league journeyman Kyle Garlick all because we faced ONE lefty on saturday. Garlick is .200 in AAA with a .172 vs Lefties.

Twins scored 3 runs total over the weekemd winning 1-0 and losing 3-2 and 2-0. This FO is literally throwing games

tower912

• All American
« Reply #386 on: June 06, 2023, 05:23:14 PM »
Thankfully, the entire Central sucks.   Detroit has 13 players on the IL.   Seemingly helpless without Greene.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 05:25:18 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #387 on: June 06, 2023, 05:30:44 PM »
Thankfully, the entire Central sucks.   Detroit has 13 players on the IL.   Seemingly helpless without Greene.

Thats why they run the org the way they do. Such a bad division they dont do rational instead.

Detroit stinks was matter of time til they fell off.

Sox will charge though if Twins stay incompetent.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #388 on: June 06, 2023, 07:00:31 PM »
Two weeks ago they announced a done deal location. Two days ago, they announced a different done deal location. In Oakland, they announced at least three done deal locations, maybe four if you include Santa Clara. Meanwhile, their current lease runs out at the end of next season. Maybe the grown ups at Bally’s can bring this one home for Kaval this time. Clown Show
You
And another fail in the works...

https://apnews.com/article/nevada-athletics-las-vegas-film-tax-credit-cc18c2cb974f572915dfa311b4d72804

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #389 on: June 06, 2023, 07:25:13 PM »
Twins offense being shut out again.

Cant even blame the players at this point.

No chance in hell Donovan Solano's own family would have thought hed bat clean up and DH. But thats the lineup our GMs and manager are willingly fielding.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #390 on: June 06, 2023, 07:27:32 PM »
Detroit is 5-52 though 16 innings over two games in Philly.   Not as sympathetic to the plight of the Twins as you might hope.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #391 on: June 06, 2023, 07:31:21 PM »
Detroit is 5-52 though 16 innings over two games in Philly.   Not as sympathetic to the plight of the Twins as you might hope.

The Tigers roster is terrible. If they finish within 10 games of .500 thats a miracle.

The Twins have easily the best roster in the division and a run differential(even with tonight) like 50 runs higher than the whole division.

Lose low scoring close games......because well coaching/roster competence matters.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #392 on: June 06, 2023, 07:37:46 PM »
https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1666241009888501762

Hitting coach doing his job as well. Great to not change up some approaches.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #393 on: June 07, 2023, 07:01:38 PM »
Carlos Correa has 11 Ks in his last 19 ABs

Arraez has 11 Ks all year

Just keep batting Correa 3rd. Worst RISP on the team. 2 more Ks in 3 ABs today. Both against some guy named Cooper Crispwell. ONe of them with 2 on and he went down looking at pitch right down the middle.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #394 on: June 08, 2023, 03:19:53 PM »
Would someone please explain to me what's happened to my beloved St. Louis Cardinals?

Before you scream pitching, I'd argue their rotation isn't all that bad and their ERAs should be reasonable enough given the power they have (conceptually) at every position.

Maybe it's Yadi, but I think it's deeper than that. I think Marmol barely has a clue and Molizak (sp?) has put together a team that can't play together. And, possibly, they've overestimated the quality of their young outfielders.

Thoughts, baseball experts?

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #395 on: June 08, 2023, 03:57:12 PM »
Would someone please explain to me what's happened to my beloved St. Louis Cardinals?

Before you scream pitching, I'd argue their rotation isn't all that bad and their ERAs should be reasonable enough given the power they have (conceptually) at every position.

Maybe it's Yadi, but I think it's deeper than that. I think Marmol barely has a clue and Molizak (sp?) has put together a team that can't play together. And, possibly, they've overestimated the quality of their young outfielders.

Fans have turned away from the lord and are being punished

• All American
« Reply #396 on: June 08, 2023, 04:01:08 PM »
Fans have turned away from the lord and are being punished

No...they've turned to the Lord and are being rewarded.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #397 on: June 08, 2023, 04:01:25 PM »

Stuff happens

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #398 on: June 08, 2023, 04:58:24 PM »

Yadi

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #399 on: June 08, 2023, 05:37:53 PM »

Stricter drug testing?