[Today at 11:50:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Restaurants Thread  (Read 29710 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Restaurants Thread
« Reply #375 on: May 23, 2024, 02:06:02 PM »
The midwest is home to shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, and canned black olives on 'tacos'. Just like your mama used to make.

That's taco dip, not tacos!

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #376 on: May 23, 2024, 02:13:57 PM »
And speaking of something that's always listed on things to do in Phoenix ...

All the times visiting there, I had never gone to Taliesin West, the Frank Lloyd Wright workshop/home. We finally went in April and, well, I'd highly recommend skipping it. It was boring as eff, and it cost $88 for the two of us. After we ended our mercifully short visit, I asked my wife, "So, what did you think?" And she said: "Dollar-for-dollar, it might have been the worst 'tourist attraction' I've ever been to."

I guess you’ve never been to The House on the Rock!

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #377 on: May 23, 2024, 02:22:36 PM »

I'd vote Plymouth Rock as the worst. That or the Gum Wall in Seattle.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #378 on: May 23, 2024, 02:55:53 PM »
That's taco dip, not tacos!

A million apologies lol

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #379 on: May 23, 2024, 03:39:58 PM »
I'd vote Plymouth Rock as the worst. That or the Gum Wall in Seattle.

Speaking my language again, the Gum Wall is awful. Now Piroshky Piroshky, Rachel’s Ginger Beer, Beecher’s, and Mee Sum Pastry nearby, awesome.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #380 on: May 23, 2024, 03:51:35 PM »

We call it the Crock on the Rock although I have relatives that love that place.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #381 on: May 23, 2024, 07:36:47 PM »

You guess correctly. And I’ll try to keep that record perfect!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #382 on: May 23, 2024, 11:35:55 PM »
Famously no Mexicans in the Midwest, and the ingredients can only be sourced from Mexico at the peak of their freshness.   :P

Chicago has some f*cking good tacos.

I have yet to have a Milwaukee taco that wasn't ass.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #383 on: May 24, 2024, 06:08:09 AM »

That's crazy, Madison area has some really good taquerias.  Usually they're attached to a grocery store.

Los Gemelos, Taqueria Guadalajara, Taquería Sabor Queretano, Patricia's market, and even Abarrotes El Primo in Sun Prairie. 

My favorite one closed a few years ago when Woodman's bought out the remainder of their lease to turn the land into a car wash.   :-[

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #384 on: May 24, 2024, 07:44:04 AM »

No MKE food trucks? Mazorca & Lonchera El Tapatio hit for me.

Taqueria El Cabrito has never disappointed. La Casa de Alberto or Celito Lindo usually hit the spot as well.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #385 on: May 24, 2024, 10:31:09 AM »
That's crazy, Madison area has some really good taquerias.  Usually they're attached to a grocery store.

Los Gemelos, Taqueria Guadalajara, Taquería Sabor Queretano, Patricia's market, and even Abarrotes El Primo in Sun Prairie. 

My favorite one closed a few years ago when Woodman's bought out the remainder of their lease to turn the land into a car wash.   :-[

Yeah.  I mean, tacos are good even when they're bad tacos.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #386 on: May 24, 2024, 10:33:44 AM »

I've had both, and generally agree.  But there are some very average places I've been to... and the ones I listed are not average.

Forgot to mention ARod's in Madison... especially for Birria tacos.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #387 on: May 24, 2024, 01:35:43 PM »

I said Milwaukee.  I've never had a taco in Madison
TAMU

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #388 on: May 24, 2024, 01:40:00 PM »
I said Milwaukee.  I've never had a taco in Madison

I know, but they're 90 miles apart!  I bet you could find a decent taco in MKE if you went looking!

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #389 on: May 24, 2024, 01:46:30 PM »
I know, but they're 90 miles apart!  I bet you could find a decent taco in MKE if you went looking!

Right.  You can get good tacos basically anywhere in America.  Sure, if you want to be a snob and turn your nose up going into a meal about how you've had real tacos down in Texas or California then you'll tell yourself what you're about to have is going to suck no matter how good they are.  But the idea that every taco someone has tried in Milwaukee, who has lived multiple years in Milwaukee, is ass, is just being a total snob.

It's like the poster who claims every burger place in Milwaukee sucks.  Is there anything as good as Au Cheval?  No.  But to pretend Oscar's (especially when taking service, wait time, and price into account, but even without that) is trash or even Sobleman's or Elsa's or Night Owl aren't good burgers is just someone looking for attention and trying to act like they have some superior palate to everyone else.

Reminds me of the guy who goes to Italy once and comes back and claims nothing in America is really pizza or pasta.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #390 on: May 24, 2024, 01:57:44 PM »
Right.  You can get good tacos basically anywhere in America.  Sure, if you want to be a snob and turn your nose up going into a meal about how you've had real tacos down in Texas or California then you'll tell yourself what you're about to have is going to suck no matter how good they are.  But the idea that every taco someone has tried in Milwaukee, who has lived multiple years in Milwaukee, is ass, is just being a total snob.

It's like the poster who claims every burger place in Milwaukee sucks.  Is there anything as good as Au Cheval?  No.  But to pretend Oscar's (especially when taking service, wait time, and price into account, but even without that) is trash or even Sobleman's or Elsa's or Night Owl aren't good burgers is just someone looking for attention and trying to act like they have some superior palate to everyone else.

Reminds me of the guy who goes to Italy once and comes back and claims nothing in America is really pizza or pasta.

The pasta one flabbergasts me.  There is a large misconception about pasta being everywhere in Italy or Italy not having extremely distinct regions with different foods.  Also, pasta is water, flour, egg and salt.  It's not complicated.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #391 on: May 24, 2024, 02:21:17 PM »
The pasta one flabbergasts me.  There is a large misconception about pasta being everywhere in Italy or Italy not having extremely distinct regions with different foods.  Also, pasta is water, flour, egg and salt.  It's not complicated.
Depends on the type of pasta you are making

MU82

• All American
« Reply #392 on: May 24, 2024, 02:52:06 PM »
If y’all want to read a savage review, google Washington Post STK. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a take-down like that, even for the likes of Burger King.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #393 on: May 24, 2024, 03:07:01 PM »
If y’all want to read a savage review, google Washington Post STK. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a take-down like that, even for the likes of Burger King.
Granted I as a client at the dinner and didn't have to pay, I did enjoy my experience at the STK in NYC.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #394 on: May 24, 2024, 03:10:06 PM »

I've very open to the idea that there are good tacos in Milwaukee. I've just never had one. If people have suggestions I'll gladly take them. I've never had any of Hards' suggestions. I've had one of Lens' suggestions (Mazorca) and didn't enjoy it.

I feel that way about other foods, Mac N Cheese and Pizza for example. Blue box and Dominoes are bad, but they're still mac n cheese and pizza so I'll gladly eat them if they're being served. I don't feel that way about tacos.
TAMU

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #395 on: May 24, 2024, 03:35:37 PM »
I feel that way about other foods, Mac N Cheese and Pizza for example. Blue box and Dominoes are bad, but they're still mac n cheese and pizza so I'll gladly eat them if they're being served. I don't feel that way about tacos.

Any place that serves mac n cheese pizza does not have good food.

The only good tacos in Milwaukee are at McBob's.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #396 on: May 24, 2024, 04:39:51 PM »
Any suggestions for Raleigh/Durham?   Ty. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #397 on: May 24, 2024, 05:42:11 PM »
Any place that serves mac n cheese pizza does not have good food.

The only good tacos in Milwaukee are at McBob's.

1. I said mac n cheese & pizza, not mac n cheese pizza. Two separate foods.

2. I got a place in Long Island thatll change your mind
TAMU

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #398 on: May 24, 2024, 06:17:47 PM »
I've very open to the idea that there are good tacos in Milwaukee. I've just never had one. If people have suggestions I'll gladly take them. I've never had any of Hards' suggestions. I've had one of Lens' suggestions (Mazorca) and didn't enjoy it.

conejitos south 6th Street/Virginia just over 6th Street bridge.  nothing fancy-paper plates, steak and bean tacos are like taco sliders
don't...don't don't don't don't

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #399 on: May 24, 2024, 09:04:12 PM »
Can't read that because it's behind a paywall but I tried STK in Miami and it was just disgusting.  Horrible food, poorly prepared, and over priced.  Topped off by arrogant service.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."