[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 49 free throw attempts  (Read 14954 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 49 free throw attempts
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2022, 09:28:07 PM »
Has there ever, in your life, been a game where you admit the refs might have been a problem? 

Yes. But it’s very rare.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2022, 09:28:10 PM »
One they certainly missed was Jop's tying bucket. Cresswell was vertical but jumped right into his body. Should have been shooting a FT for the lead.

The worst I recall was Kam got tackled out of bounds in a 1 point game and Kolek had the ball slip out of his hands on a shot attempt right after.

Should have been Kam at the line in a 1 point game.
VIOLENCE!

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2022, 09:30:01 PM »

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2022, 09:30:15 PM »
The worst I recall was Kam got tackled out of bounds in a 1 point game and Kolek had the ball slip out of his hands on a shot attempt right after.

Should have been Kam at the line in a 1 point game.
And there are 10-15 more of these throughout the game.  I'll tell you what - I'm not sure they missed ANY fouls against Marquette.  Maybe a travel or two due to their general ineptitude.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2022, 09:30:23 PM »
“This is what you get in Big East basketball. Refs let them play. It’s a physical game.”

After a game where the refs sent a team to the line 49 times.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2022, 09:30:24 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

IL Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2022, 09:30:47 PM »
Yes. But it’s very rare.
The idea that the players are inconsistent from game to game, half to half, and minute to minute but the refs are so consistent and infallible that a bad game is "very rare" is laughable.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2022, 09:30:51 PM »
The refs were fine. PC was just too physical for MU. When you recruit prong and lean athletes, and don’t rebound well, this happens.

This is why some lament the lack of bugs on this team. Oso is the only one and he’s not exactly built.

You're off your ass on this one.  I get it, you hate to place blame on the refs, but what is the line in the sand for you?

Do all of our starters have to foul out while none of theirs do?

I'm just curious.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2022, 09:31:05 PM »
Because we fouled them.

Sometimes, yes. But there were a lot of rewarded 50/50 balls where they Providence player was completely out of control.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2022, 09:31:18 PM »
It was on Kam’s and1 but I loved how the announcers were complaining about the foul call on Providence.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2022, 09:31:30 PM »
Biased conclusion????

Have you WATCHED Big East basketball? This is how games are played all the time!

All the time? I can’t find regular season stats, but the largest ever free throw disparity in a NCAA tournament game is 34.

I’d guess tonight’s game ends up being one of the largest disparities of the season.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2022, 09:32:01 PM »
Some people want to focus on the foul/free throw differential as evidence of poor and biased officiating.

I’d prefer to focus on getting outrebounded by 20, including at least 3 on missed FTs as evidence that one team was more physical and aggressive than the other.

We all know that MU is not a physical team and is going to have problems against teams with muscle. To be successful MU has to be able to execute and make shots in tight games and so far they have totally failed to do that. There are going to be a lot more close games than blowouts in conference play, and if MU doesn’t dramatically improve its execution in close games it’s going to be a difficult season. They were lucky Kalkenbrenner was out last week because that game could have been a lot different.

Biased officiating and being out rebounded are both true.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2022, 09:32:12 PM »
This is the price you pay for having long lanky teams — you get pushed around inside and don’t get the whistles you want because guys can’t hold their ground. Gotta take the good with the bad; I just wish we had one true big inside, even if only to use from the bench.
This argument doesn't hold water.  Our team is built to be good a certain way so we have to live with bad officiating because our team is not built in a way that might trick an inept ref crew?

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2022, 09:32:21 PM »
The idea that the players are inconsistent from game to game, half to half, and minute to minute but the refs are so consistent and infallible that a bad game is "very rare" is laughable.

Hold on. I never said they don’t miss calls. Of course they do! But they generally even out to the point of being a non-factor.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2022, 09:32:44 PM »
There were 3 that were egregrious off the bat.

The Jop should be And 1 and the Kam out of bounds bump. Were both fouls that were called on us 15 times.

And the Kam "foul" when he went to jump ball Crosswell when we were still up 8 was maybe the worst call of the season. Dont wanna blow the whistle? Fine. But a foul on Kam was lol.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2022, 09:32:48 PM »
Some people want to focus on the foul/free throw differential as evidence of poor and biased officiating.

I’d prefer to focus on getting outrebounded by 20, including at least 3 on missed FTs as evidence that one team was more physical and aggressive than the other.

We all know that MU is not a physical team and is going to have problems against teams with muscle. To be successful MU has to be able to execute and make shots in tight games and so far they have totally failed to do that. There are going to be a lot more close games than blowouts in conference play, and if MU doesn’t dramatically improve its execution in close games it’s going to be a difficult season. They were lucky Kalkenbrenner was out last week because that game could have been a lot different.

This is unfortunately the correct take. Marquette is going to lose several more Big East games to inferior opponents because we are going to struggle to close out defensive stops with rebounds. I’d be surprised if Sean Jones plays against SH once Shaka sees the tape of him letting Hopkins grab his own FT rebound with no remote attempt at a box out.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2022, 09:32:58 PM »
This argument doesn't hold water.  Our team is built to be good a certain way so we have to live with bad officiating because our team is not built in a way that might trick an inept ref crew?

More logic fail.

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2022, 09:33:45 PM »

Yep yep yep. Excellent points.

IL Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2022, 09:34:58 PM »
Hold on. I never said they don’t miss calls. Of course they do! But they generally even out to the point of being a non-factor.
Do players have good games and bad games? I think you would agree they do. The same can be true for the officials. It's okay to admit it.

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2022, 09:36:04 PM »
Do players have good games and bad games? I think you would agree they do. The same can be true for the officials. It's okay to admit it.

I said they can miss calls.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2022, 09:36:15 PM »

That’s not the point. The point is that when you’re skinny, you get put in positions where you have to foul to avoid a bucket. That is why there is a big FT differential after 50 minutes of play. That’s just how the game works. Like being tall is an advantage for most things in basketball, being strong and physical is also an innate advantage.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2022, 09:36:20 PM »
But tonight they did not. In the same way that a very good player can have a very bad game.

Generally - he'll get you 15 and 10 but tonight - he came nowhere close.

Make sense to you now?

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2022, 09:37:33 PM »
But tonight they did not. In the same way that a very good player can have a very bad game.

Generally - he'll get you 15 and 10 but tonight - he came nowhere close.

Make sense to you now?

That’s a nonsensical comparison. Logic fail #3 in about fifteen minutes.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2022, 09:38:40 PM »
More logic fail.
My favorite of your vapid posts are the ones that literally say nothing, offer no counterargument, but allow you to stroke yourself into feeling superior.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2022, 09:39:44 PM »
That’s a nonsensical comparison. Logic fail #3 in about fifteen minutes.
No it's not.  When you add home court in, bad refs become bad in a certain direction more often than not.  There are studies on this.

feedback