[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 49 free throw attempts  (Read 14907 times)

21Jumpstreet

• All American
Re: 49 free throw attempts
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2022, 09:17:59 PM »
He also said they didn’t get the calls and Providence went to the foul line on two jump balls in overtime. He was definitely pointing out the officiating.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2022, 09:18:07 PM »
Standard Sultan reply.  30 FT attempt differential is not something simply explained by the other team being more physical.  They bodied the unnatural carnal knowledge out of Kam, Tyler, Jop going to the basket and rarely was anything called.

I get that your schtick is to be a prick, but try not to be so predictable.

A prick? Sorry you feel that way.

But refs weren’t a problem. Sorry you can’t see that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2022, 09:19:08 PM »
This is the price you pay for having long lanky teams — you get pushed around inside and don’t get the whistles you want because guys can’t hold their ground. Gotta take the good with the bad; I just wish we had one true big inside, even if only to use from the bench.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2022, 09:19:26 PM »
I agree, for the most part they were fine. My one problem was the straight line drives MU walled up that were out of control that were at best no calls.  It was a foul every time and rewarded horrible head down drives.  The rest of the 35 free throws were earned.

They rewarded Providence for out of control head down drives and swallowed the whistle for MU. Pretty clear.

Call it both ways.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2022, 09:19:38 PM »
I can’t make you see something that you don’t see or understand. Physical teams win BE battles. Since MU has been in this conference, that has been the case. Have you not been watching?

I love Shaka but his style is going to be ugly at times in this conference.
So you had a biased conclusion coming into the game and a 30 (THIRTY!) free throw disparity made all the sense in the world to you.  You didn't even need to watch the game!

I can't make you see something you don't see or understand - the refs tilted the court tonight.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2022, 09:21:04 PM »
Standard Sultan reply.  30 FT attempt differential is not something simply explained by the other team being more physical.  They bodied the unnatural carnal knowledge out of Kam, Tyler, Jop going to the basket and rarely was anything called.

I get that your schtick is to be a prick, but try not to be so predictable.
shaka, get t’d. Sometimes you gotta drop the hammer. Your guys were getting hacked without mercy. Take one!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2022, 09:21:10 PM »
Because we fouled them more than they fouled us.

We did foul them more than they fouled us. They are bigger and more physical than us. They deserved more free throw attempts. We could have rebounded better. The half court offense went in to a funk with 6 minutes left. There are a lot of reasons that we lost.

That said, they didn’t deserve 30 more attempts. PC got away with a lot of contact that we didn’t get away with, and I could find 8-10 examples. We should have had 10-15 more free throws and that would have been the difference.

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2022, 09:21:23 PM »
This is the price you pay for having long lanky teams — you get pushed around inside and don’t get the whistles you want because guys can’t hold their ground. Gotta take the good with the bad; I just wish we had one true big inside, even if only to use from the bench.

Exactly. You said this better than me. Can’t hold their ground and lose their position defensively. Recipe for fouls.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2022, 09:21:53 PM »
Because we fouled them.

Bryce Hopkins played 47 minutes.  Marquette was attacking in all 47 of his minutes.

He got called for 0 fouls.
VIOLENCE!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2022, 09:21:57 PM »
We did foul them more than they fouled us. They are bigger and more physical than us. They deserved more free throw attempts. We could have rebounded better. The half court offense went in to a funk with 6 minutes left. There are a lot of reasons that we lost.

That said, they didn’t deserve 30 more attempts. PC got away with a lot of contact that we didn’t get away with, and I could find 8-10 examples. We should have had 10-15 more free throws and that would have been the difference.

Bingo. I get why there would be a disparity but that large? Come on.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2022, 09:22:08 PM »
They rewarded Providence for out of control head down drives and swallowed the whistle for MU. Pretty clear.

Call it both ways.
This is the correct take. The argument can be made the Providence was "aggressive" but the officiating was inconsistent in response to that.

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2022, 09:22:38 PM »
Bryce Hopkins played 47 minutes.  Marquette was attacking in all 47 of his minutes.

He got called for 0 fouls.

I didn’t notice any they missed.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2022, 09:23:21 PM »
Remember today if and when we miss the tournament. Providence isn't good.

Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2022, 09:23:25 PM »

Correct take again

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2022, 09:24:05 PM »
Because you're an uninformed, uneducated watcher of basketball

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2022, 09:24:24 PM »
So you had a biased conclusion coming into the game and a 30 (THIRTY!) free throw disparity made all the sense in the world to you.  You didn't even need to watch the game!

I can't make you see something you don't see or understand - the refs tilted the court tonight.

Biased conclusion????

Have you WATCHED Big East basketball? This is how games are played all the time!

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2022, 09:25:01 PM »
Because you're an uninformed, uneducated watcher of basketball

Resorting to name calling means you’ve lost the argument. Congrats.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2022, 09:25:36 PM »
Biased conclusion????

Have you WATCHED Big East basketball? This is how games are played all the time!
That's the definition of bias "Sultan of Semantics", I'd expect you to get there on your own.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2022, 09:25:41 PM »
Some people want to focus on the foul/free throw differential as evidence of poor and biased officiating.

I’d prefer to focus on getting outrebounded by 20, including at least 3 on missed FTs as evidence that one team was more physical and aggressive than the other.

We all know that MU is not a physical team and is going to have problems against teams with muscle. To be successful MU has to be able to execute and make shots in tight games and so far they have totally failed to do that. There are going to be a lot more close games than blowouts in conference play, and if MU doesn’t dramatically improve its execution in close games it’s going to be a difficult season. They were lucky Kalkenbrenner was out last week because that game could have been a lot different.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2022, 09:25:46 PM »

Joplin and Kam were getting bumped everytime they drove.

Providence was whistled for 1 foul in the final 10 minutes of regulation. They also started both overtimes shooting 2 free throws within the 1st 10 seconds of each period.

I still don't think Marquette is a tournament team but that was a poorly officiated game that turns into a painful loss.

Seton Hall
Villanova
St. Johns

Those are all coinflip games coming up, just as tonight was.
VIOLENCE!

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2022, 09:25:57 PM »
Resorting to name calling means you’ve lost the argument. Congrats.
You kinda started it - congrats!

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2022, 09:26:13 PM »
A prick? Sorry you feel that way.

But refs weren’t a problem. Sorry you can’t see that.
Has there ever, in your life, been a game where you admit the refs might have been a problem? 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2022, 09:26:20 PM »
This is the correct take. The argument can be made the Providence was "aggressive" but the officiating was inconsistent in response to that.

It's up to Broeker then to go to the Big East office.  Really the issue wasn't that MU didn't foul but that the game wasn't called consistently on both ends and half to half. In game, that's on Shaka. Post-game, that's on Broeker.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2022, 09:26:31 PM »
One they certainly missed was Jop's tying bucket. Cresswell was vertical but jumped right into his body. Should have been shooting a FT for the lead.

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2022, 09:27:28 PM »
That's the definition of bias "Sultan of Semantics", I'd expect you to get there on your own.

No. You’ve failed with logic here. Go back and follow the topic. Perhaps you’ll notice your error.

Likely not though.