[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Coach Smart/Maestro  (Read 6690 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Coach Smart/Maestro
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2022, 09:09:01 AM »
Exactly.  Warren Washington would have been the ideal backup, but he's playing nearly 22 mpg at Arizona State.

Since neither he nor Oso shoot threes, they can't play together without sacrificing floor spacing on offense.   Washington would end up playing fewer minutes at MU than he is playing at ASU.

Or would Washington have been the more ideal starter?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2022, 09:12:09 AM »
Which segues into this.    Barring something cataclysmic, the roster is set for next year.    The only question is who will leave, MU oversigned.     So, Oso, Gold, Itejere, Amadou, Omax and Joplin.    Those are your forwards.     No transfer big is incoming next year, either.   

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2022, 09:16:55 AM »
Is the thought that Keeyan could be serviceable in that role?

But yeah, maybe Shaka would rather have a bunch of forwards who can attack the rim and just counter the lack of size with quickness and athleticism.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2022, 09:19:05 AM »
I don’t come to scoop to read reasonable observations, so the previous 5 or so posts are a massive disasppointment
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2022, 09:22:43 AM »
Or would Washington have been the more ideal starter?

Good question.  Washington is averaging 8.3 ppg, 6.7 rpg, and 2.0 bpg in 21.6 mpg.

I think Oso's experience in the system gives him the edge. But Washington has been pretty good so far, so I can't say for sure.  But it would've been a heck of a duo!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2022, 09:23:42 AM »
I don’t come to scoop to read reasonable observations, so the previous 5 or so posts are a massive disasppointment

Sorry. I will inject some unreasonability into this conversation.

Does Aaron Durley have any eligibility remaining? He'd fit the bill.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2022, 09:24:21 AM »

Grab some Arby's for lunch to drown your sorrows.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2022, 09:29:43 AM »
I noted earlier that Shaka has done a very good job of bringing in basketball players thus far and he obviously saw something in Wrightsil. I have zero idea if he can contribute to the team this year, but I will hold judgement until he hopefully gets some healthy playing time. In addition, based off of limited knowledge he appears to be very well liked by his teammates. Quite possibly Shaka knows something about him that we do not.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2022, 09:42:35 AM »
 "The only question is who will leave, MU oversigned. "

i believe shakas system bodes well for a nice distribution of talent with regards to playing time. the style and pace necessitates a good rotation to keep em fresh for 40 minutes.  those who enjoy playing this system, see it's upsides, like the environment/school and all it has to offer are going to stay.  nothing wrong with getting rid of the dead wood.  win win win
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2022, 09:43:37 AM »
Speaking of dead wood, how is 4ever?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2022, 09:47:01 AM »
I noted earlier that Shaka has done a very good job of bringing in basketball players thus far and he obviously saw something in Wrightsil. I have zero idea if he can contribute to the team this year, but I will hold judgement until he hopefully gets some healthy playing time. In addition, based off of limited knowledge he appears to be very well liked by his teammates. Quite possibly Shaka knows something about him that we do not.

My guess is that Loyola's assistant coach Javon Felix, who played for Shaka at Texas, is the connection that got him here.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2022, 10:04:02 AM »
I agree that Shaka hasn't missed the boat on utilizing the portal the past two years for all the reasons you stated. Those who say otherwise simply ignore facts.

However, it's OK to express a little disappointment (as you and I have) that our coach couldn't land a big who could have taken a little pressure off Oso this season, committed some hard fouls against the BEast bigs we'll have to face, and improved our overall depth. As I said earlier, even a Jayce Johnson type would have been fine for 8-12 mpg.

Unfortunately, what's happened here is that any criticism, no matter how small, is considered by some to be a vicious attack on Shaka -- and, even more ridiculously, some kind of expression of love for his predecessor.

I am thrilled with the job Shaka's doing and I'm as high on this team as just about anybody here. AND I wish he had been able to bring in one more big. It's not freakin' mutually exclusive.

You've got it twisted.  When criticism of Shaka comes from posters who "loved" and thought Wojo was a good coach, it's not seen as a "vicious attack on Shaka" - it's seen as ironic and ignorant.  (As in consider the source of the criticism, and the lack of credibility.)

It's the impatience with Shaka from the Projos who were all "R-E-L-A-X" and "trust the process" with Wojo that draws ire, and eye rolling.

Seriously, what valuable able bodied center is going to transfer to become a 10-15 minute back up? I guess Theo would be one.

The above perfectly sums up why no impact big was brought in, in that Shaka wanted to invest fully into Oso and max his minutes.  I don't disagree that having a Jayce Johnson type of player to spell Oso for 7-10/game would have value to this roster, yet Shaka clearly felt getting a hybrid/athletic/winner to try to help fill Justin's void - Wrightsill - was the better approach.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2022, 10:06:30 AM »
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2022, 10:17:33 AM »
what type of big center that was available fit Shaka's style of play? Or culture (just kidding).

Too lazy too look.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2022, 10:24:40 AM »
lawdog

IMO, Kur is the perfect type of type of big man for Shaka's style. To have someone that can protect the backside on the press is an important piece of the puzzle. Now, I would love to see a Kur type that could score a few more points a game.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2022, 10:43:46 AM »
lawdog

IMO, Kur is the perfect type of type of big man for Shaka's style. To have someone that can protect the backside on the press is an important piece of the puzzle. Now, I would love to see a Kur type that could score a few more points a game.

Do you think Kur is more perfect than Oso? Oso is having a hell of a year. Kur was mediocre at best

And Oso is better at defense
Bring back FFP!!!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2022, 10:55:45 AM »
Kur kept guys away from the rim when they had a breakout against the press. I thought during our run Kur changed multiple games early on with shot bocking skills. He was a game changer when he was on the court. He was not a 35+ minute guy, but could change the game on any defensive possession. Plus, he blocked the ball the way it is supposed to be blocked. He kept in play and often it ended up being our possession of the ball.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2022, 10:58:56 AM »
lawdog

Thanks Goose. I think Shaka's offense needs a 5 who can create or score. Ball movement where all 5 guys aren't afraid to shoot.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2022, 11:15:08 AM »
lawdog

I misworded my post. I agree with you, but I think the Kur type is more long with type of player we will see Shaka recruit. I very possibly could be wrong, and actually hope he recruits the player you described.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2022, 11:38:36 AM »
Which segues into this.    Barring something cataclysmic, the roster is set for next year.    The only question is who will leave, MU oversigned.     So, Oso, Gold, Itejere, Amadou, Omax and Joplin.    Those are your forwards.     No transfer big is incoming next year, either.

Is Amadou and immediate impact Frosh?  He sounds like a very versatile player that would be a perfect addition to this roster. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2022, 11:58:37 AM »
Is Amadou and immediate impact Frosh?  He sounds like a very versatile player that would be a perfect addition to this roster.

I agree Muggsy.  He is the perfect addition to this roster.  In the end he could be Oso (once he gains weight) with a three point shot.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2022, 12:40:38 PM »
You've got it twisted.  When criticism of Shaka comes from posters who "loved" and thought Wojo was a good coach, it's not seen as a "vicious attack on Shaka" - it's seen as ironic and ignorant.  (As in consider the source of the criticism, and the lack of credibility.)

It's the impatience with Shaka from the Projos who were all "R-E-L-A-X" and "trust the process" with Wojo that draws ire, and eye rolling.

Your simultaneous streaks of being mostly wrong and being totally obsessed with the previous regime remain alive. Congrats!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2022, 01:31:48 PM »
Your simultaneous streaks of being mostly wrong and being totally obsessed with the previous regime remain alive. Congrats!

That's weird.  You're the guy who brought up the previous regime in your post.  If I'm "mostly wrong" as a guy who got banned here due to harping, repeatedly that Wojo sucked as a coach and would be a bust, starting 10 games into his career - not sure what that makes you as a poster who constantly argued against my take, and being a staunch Wojo backer for roughly 5 years?

Weird you'd want to keep bringing Wojo into conversations.  But.  Congrats?!!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2022, 01:54:20 PM »
That's weird.  You're the guy who brought up the previous regime in your post.  If I'm "mostly wrong" as a guy who got banned here due to harping, repeatedly that Wojo sucked as a coach and would be a bust, starting 10 games into his career - not sure what that makes you as a poster who constantly argued against my take, and being a staunch Wojo backer for roughly 5 years?

Do you really think you got banned because you were harping about Wojo?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2022, 02:37:14 PM »
bilsu

I have said from day one that I believe MU will benefit from the NIL era and I believe it more today. MU needs to support a very small number of guys and that should be a very easy task. If Shaka starts to win the money will come flowing in. This is a basketball school with a long history, and it has shown money is not an issue in running the program.
I hope you are right. I worry that a good player will be poached from us. Just like it is rumored Michigan is trying to lure Wisconsin football running back. I am sure UW can come up with very good NIL money for Allen, but I believe Michigan is able to come up with more. What gives me confidence is that it appears players really like playing for Shaka.