[Today at 02:47:50 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by MUbiz
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Point guard or big by Jockey
[Today at 11:37:56 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:25:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Yes that happened, now what?  (Read 1383 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
[Paint Touches] Yes that happened, now what?
« on: November 30, 2022, 12:16:19 PM »
While admittedly still basking in the glow of that dreamlike performance, I wanted to pull out a few bits to see what was real and repeatable and what may be a mirage.

https://painttouches.com/2022/11/30/yes-that-happened-now-what/

This chart in particular has my attention.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Yes that happened, now what?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 11:48:54 AM »
Great article!  The mindset and defensive prowess we have seen through the early part of this season are definitely repeatable.  And as our young scorers settle in and gain more experience against top tier opponents so is the offense. 

Last Tuesday was not smoke and mirrors.  It’s a product of the culture and foundation Shaka has laid in addition to really athletic capable players. 

I had to see it to truly believe it with regard to his recruiting top 75-150 players and relationships as the basis of a building a consistent top 25 program.  But the way they have played this year, even as opposed to last year, has me very much on board going forward.  Shaka can coach, has an eye for talent that fits his system and his system is an incredibly fun brand of basketball to watch.

This is going to be a fun year with more to come.  Jealous of my son being at MU now after having gone to MU during the Dukiet years.

Let’s get UW-Madison and ND!  Go MU!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 01:37:23 PM »
I am an old guy hear and perhaps having a senior moment but can you please explain to me how a team can score points >30 second in a possession when the shot clock is 30 seconds?

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 01:43:35 PM »
Just guessing, but maybe a combination of possessions with offensive rebounds and non shooting fouls that reset the shot clock?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 01:47:06 PM »
I am an old guy hear and perhaps having a senior moment but can you please explain to me how a team can score points >30 second in a possession when the shot clock is 30 seconds?

The clock resets to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound and certain defensive fouls. It is still considered 1 possession.

Theoretically, an entire basketball game could last two possessions if the same team keeps shooting, missing, and grabbing the offensive rebound (or getting fouled, missing the second free throw and grabbing the offensive rebound) for the entirety of the first half and then the other team did the same the entirety of the second half.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 03:05:02 PM »
The clock resets to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound and certain defensive fouls. It is still considered 1 possession.

Theoretically, an entire basketball game could last two possessions if the same team keeps shooting, missing, and grabbing the offensive rebound (or getting fouled, missing the second free throw and grabbing the offensive rebound) for the entirety of the first half and then the other team did the same the entirety of the second half.
Reminds me of some of our games against St. Louis. They are the only team that held Wade under 10 points and I believe they did it twice.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 03:38:52 PM »

Sounds like a Badger B1G game

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 05:58:02 PM »

Thanks, you really are the Wizard.