[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

NIL Future by PointWarrior
[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coach Smart/Maestro  (Read 6813 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Coach Smart/Maestro
« on: November 29, 2022, 09:30:53 PM »
He had our guys 100% prepared tonight.   Major props. 

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Re: Coach Smart/Maestro
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 09:31:32 PM »

Onto the next...need to punish the same way on Saturday.
VIOLENCE!

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 09:46:16 PM »
Muggsy-

My first thought after this game, and I was getting ready to start a thread on it, is that…

IM FULLY BOUGHT IN ON SHAKA.

Not that I wasn’t positive on him before, I liked the hire and it’s very easy to like a lot about him, but I’m usually not fully bought in unless I’m really invested in a head guy and what I think he can accomplish.

At this point, I’m fully bought in, the proverbial id run through a wall.
I’m bought in to his vision and where I think he can take MUBB.

Hopefully I’m not let down, but I’m fully bought in on the guy and along for the ride.

Let’s continue with a win v red and a trip back into the top 25

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 09:48:54 PM »
It will be a masterful achievement if he can beat an offensive powerhouse like Baylor and a grind 'em Wisky in the same week.
Let's bring it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 09:53:16 PM »
Muggsy-

My first thought after this game, and I was getting ready to start a thread on it, is that…

IM FULLY BOUGHT IN ON SHAKA.

Not that I wasn’t positive on him before, I liked the hire and it’s very easy to like a lot about him, but I’m usually not fully bought in unless I’m really invested in a head guy and what I think he can accomplish.

At this point, I’m fully bought in, the proverbial id run through a wall.
I’m bought in to his vision and where I think he can take MUBB.

Hopefully I’m not let down, but I’m fully bought in on the guy and along for the ride.

Let’s continue with a win v red and a trip back into the top 25

I think he scouted Baylor perfectly and they didn't see it coming.  He knew who and where to attack with OMax going downhill in particular.   He also sped Baylor up which I didn't see coming at all Dr.V.  To essentially have zero turns in the first half, while forcing 16 is incredible.  This was a game where  you could see how prepared this group was tonight.  I also thought the ball movement and patience was the best we have seen in quite some time. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 09:59:22 PM by MuggsyB »

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 09:55:36 PM »
Culture? Lol for you No Longer...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 09:58:31 PM »
Muggsy

His knowledge of Baylor is a big part of why I thought we would win tonight.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 09:58:56 PM »
5 years 2 judge
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 10:02:35 PM »
I think he scouted Baylor perfectly and they didn't see it coming.  He knew who and where to attack with OMax going downhill in particular.   He also sped Baylor up which I didn't see coming at all Dr.V.  To essentially have zero turns in the first half, while forcing 16 is incredible.  This was s gane where  you could see how prepared this group was tonight.  I also thought the ball movement and patience was the best we have seen in quite some time.

Yea Muggsy. Kudos to you, you’ve been preaching it for weeks.

Ball movement was exceptional, the patience phenomenal, and the poise remarkable. They passed up decent shots for much better shots, and were very calm in doing so.

Of course it helps when the outside shots go in, and it seemed like so many 3P shots went down, but Omax and Jop were 3/4 and Kam was 4/7, 25 attempts overall.

They shredded that Baylor defense and it was great to see.
PS- Omax was unbelievable and TyKo was great. That’s the Omax and Tyler we need, the Omax and TyKo we deserve!
PSS- S Jones, Chase, Ben also held their own, very important.
PSSS- when Kam and Jop have a quiet 20&19 this team will be extremely tough to beat
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 10:05:44 PM by DoctorV »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2022, 10:08:14 PM »
Muggsy

His knowledge of Baylor is a big part of why I thought we would win tonight.

Goose,

I thought it was conceivable we could go medieval tonight.  Not because of your excellent point that Shaka knew Baylor's game, but more because I think our performance against Chi St.  didn't sit well with our entire team.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 10:09:27 PM »

Yep negative Nancy’s can you know…

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 10:12:04 PM »
I spent the entire Chicago State game muttering at the TV. We played so badly, obviously just took the win for granted.

This game couldn't have been more different.

Over the years, I've had several coaches tell me that one of the best things that can happen is to play like crap against a bad team but still win comfortably. You've got the win ... but you've still got something, including some ugly video, that you can hammer your players with. If they take it to heart -- as Shaka's team obviously did -- it's the ultimate win-win scenario.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 10:46:01 PM »
I liked Shaka's disposition after the game.  He looked as if he fully expected this win and that we have a lot more to accomplish this season. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 11:07:10 PM »
I spent the entire Chicago State game muttering at the TV. We played so badly, obviously just took the win for granted.

Over the years, I've had several coaches tell me that one of the best things that can happen is to play like crap against a bad team but still win comfortably. You've got the win ... but you've still got something, including some ugly video, that you can hammer your players with. If they take it to heart -- as Shaka's team obviously did -- it's the ultimate win-win scenario.

I'm still wondering if Baylor and CSU swapped jerseys.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2022, 11:11:14 PM »
I'm still wondering if Baylor and CSU swapped jerseys.

Energy in the building matters and this should be example A.  Players live for moments like tonight and when they play like that every game should be sold out, even if it is Chicago St.
VIOLENCE!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2022, 06:23:05 AM »
this was a HUGE confidence builder for our guys.  ben gold moved and played like a, umm, sophomore?  actually roamed the court like he'd been there before.  jops got his shot back-love the rainbow jumper!  ross looked like he was having fun.  cam needed to see his shot go in again and did.  O-promax and oso just added to their resumes.  tyler was tyler but with a smile AND anyone see his "mean mug" following an aggressive drive to the hole?  that was a "don't mess with the jersey kid move right there.  keeping up with the jones' was fun to watch.  even though the floor slap was made famous by "what's his name", when stevie did it, it was a reflection of shaka and a call to arms telling the other guys-work hard, we win! 

when the players saw the product of their hustle, even though they missed a few easy shots early, they stuck with it and TRUSTED THE SYSTEM...it paid dividends!  once they saw the ball going in the hole, it got contagious.  hard work, determination, trust the system=WINNING. 

shakas substitution pattern was consistent, well planned and obviously well played out.  i don't recall seeing him use the auto hook which decimates players confidence as noted in the past years-sometimes it works, but used as strictly a disciplinary measure can be disastrous and counterproductive (eyn'a wojo?) if shaka used it, the player knew it was warranted

shaka doesn't have to get mad at his players for them to realize they were performing below expectations.  his players know what their roles are.  when cam seemed to be coming "unleashed" with his shot, i'm sure he and shaka had a nice chat and they have both reeled it in nicely and WITHOUT controversy and distraction

these are some of the little things, taken care of behind the scenes that could/should be a recipe for continued success.  shaka knows!
don't...don't don't don't don't

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2022, 07:46:12 AM »
There was a moment in the game last night when Shaka pulled Kam. As Kam walked by all Shaka said was “That’s B&$! S@?!” Shaka didn’t get mad, he didn’t lay into Kam, he simply said that’s BS. Kam knew, he didn’t need Shaka to rip into him, Shaka didn’t need to let Kam know he knew, too. So refreshing to see true accountability.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2022, 07:50:17 AM »
To say Shaka is a players coach would be a major understatement. This guy puts the work in and the guys see it. To retain the whole from last year in the portal era said all I needed to know about Shaka Smart.

Best part to me, I think this a guy that will be leading this program for a very long time. MU and Shaka look like a perfect fit.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2022, 07:51:31 AM »
I did not see even one bad shot last night. This shows how good the team can be, if it does not take bad shots. Game reminded me of Providence beat down last year, which turned into a huge momentum run for MU.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2022, 08:14:31 AM »

I muttered at the TV for that game too and had the same take as you did. Nicely put into perspective. The performance at the Chicago State game likely played a major role in our guys playing like they did last night. Nice post 82.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2022, 08:18:02 AM »
Shaka talked in his post game presser about butting heads with Kam and Jop.  Both are effortless scorers.  Shaka basically said that getting them to play both ends and make the smart play on the offensive end is his challenge.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2022, 08:26:15 AM »
this was a HUGE confidence builder for our guys.  ben gold moved and played like a, umm, sophomore?  actually roamed the court like he'd been there before.  jops got his shot back-love the rainbow jumper!  ross looked like he was having fun.  cam needed to see his shot go in again and did.  O-promax and oso just added to their resumes.  tyler was tyler but with a smile AND anyone see his "mean mug" following an aggressive drive to the hole?  that was a "don't mess with the jersey kid move right there.  keeping up with the jones' was fun to watch.  even though the floor slap was made famous by "what's his name", when stevie did it, it was a reflection of shaka and a call to arms telling the other guys-work hard, we win! 

when the players saw the product of their hustle, even though they missed a few easy shots early, they stuck with it and TRUSTED THE SYSTEM...it paid dividends!  once they saw the ball going in the hole, it got contagious.  hard work, determination, trust the system=WINNING. 

shakas substitution pattern was consistent, well planned and obviously well played out.  i don't recall seeing him use the auto hook which decimates players confidence as noted in the past years-sometimes it works, but used as strictly a disciplinary measure can be disastrous and counterproductive (eyn'a wojo?) if shaka used it, the player knew it was warranted

shaka doesn't have to get mad at his players for them to realize they were performing below expectations.  his players know what their roles are.  when cam seemed to be coming "unleashed" with his shot, i'm sure he and shaka had a nice chat and they have both reeled it in nicely and WITHOUT controversy and distraction

these are some of the little things, taken care of behind the scenes that could/should be a recipe for continued success.  shaka knows!
Cam isn't on the team...
Goal is National Championship

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2022, 08:37:53 AM »
Energy in the building matters and this should be example A.  Players live for moments like tonight and when they play like that every game should be sold out, even if it is Chicago St.

There will be plenty of energy in the building on Saturday!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2022, 10:00:21 AM »
There will be plenty of energy in the building on Saturday!

And juice

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2022, 10:07:08 AM »
I don't know if it is by design or by necessity, but there has been one thing that has been consistent about Shaka's approach in the two years he has been at MU that has really impressed me.     

None of the freshmen ever look afraid.   

Sure, they may get beat, or blow an assignment, or do some other bonehead freshman thing. But they go on the court and play without fear. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback