'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Cupcake State  (Read 10219 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Cupcake State
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2022, 08:44:52 AM »
I think that's exactly what a not insignificant portion of posters are looking for.

My point is that I think many posters think Shaka should grab an aircraft carrier who isn't mobile, who can't put the ball on the floor, who can't face the basket, who can't shoot beyond 5 feet just for the sake of having a big body on the roster. Of course they would prefer one who can do all those things but since they are mostly top 50 recruits coveted by all programs, Shaka should just take what he can get, even if the big body doesn't fit the system.

I think as Shaka builds his credibility at Marquette, he will be able to land more of those top 50 type forwards. I think until then, we are going to be recruiting skinny kids and trying to bulk them up. We've hard Shaka say that the goal is to get Itejere to 250lbs (or 240 I can't remember). My guess is that they have a similar idea for Gold.

Yeah I think a lot of people want Davante Gardner, Part II even though he would be an awful fit for what Shaka wants to do.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2022, 09:00:59 AM »
MU is oversigned by 1 already.  Given that plus that we've heard MU will pony up to keep their own but won't pony up to land the stud transfer or recruit, I don't see any way we're landing an impact big in the transfer portal.  If we aren't going to pony up to land high level transfers, the only transfers we'll be landing are the Wrightsil kind.  Which is fine if our roster continuity continues and those players develop.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2022, 09:39:47 AM »
MU is oversigned by 1 already.  Given that plus that we've heard MU will pony up to keep their own but won't pony up to land the stud transfer or recruit, I don't see any way we're landing an impact big in the transfer portal.  If we aren't going to pony up to land high level transfers, the only transfers we'll be landing are the Wrightsil kind.  Which is fine if our roster continuity continues and those players develop.

The only way MU.. spends major NIL money on someone outside the program is if Oso leaves early IMO. Otherwise they'll just spend some money to retain guys like him.

Also its not like the "expensive" transfers are overwhelming working, they are hit or miss too. Fardaws Aimaq and Jaylan Gainey are injured. Kendal Coleman play 10mpg for a soso LSU team. Noah Carter (the most likely alternative to Wrightsil) actually looks decent, but MU beat Mizzou well in a scrimmage. Warren Washington and Manny Bates seem like they will work out for ASU and Butler, but those two were give a starting role right away because they were walking into sitiuations where everyone else is in transition too. That's why our own transfers did well last year.

Transfers are useful when you are making wholesale changes.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2022, 11:08:39 AM »

Wouldn't be surprised with an EE transfer, also there's been some whispers online and in other various podcasts about Oso possibly going pro after the season.

The roster will sort itself out.
VIOLENCE!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2022, 11:27:05 AM »
Wouldn't be surprised with an EE transfer, also there's been some whispers online and in other various podcasts about Oso possibly going pro after the season.

The roster will sort itself out.

Oso is starting to show up on scouting radars, but I'd be very surprised if it's this year. 

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2022, 11:30:28 AM »
Oso is starting to show up on scouting radars, but I'd be very surprised if it's this year.

The whispers have been along the lines of "he came into school as a Sophomore because of College credits he earned in High School, so it makes sense that he'd leave after this season."

Now the talent on the court is there as well, so it wouldn't be all that surprising honestly. It would suck for all of us fans, but we don't matter!
VIOLENCE!

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2022, 11:52:55 AM »
The whispers have been along the lines of "he came into school as a Sophomore because of College credits he earned in High School, so it makes sense that he'd leave after this season."

Now the talent on the court is there as well, so it wouldn't be all that surprising honestly. It would suck for all of us fans, but we don't matter!

What pro radars is Oso on?  I'm not sure many NBA teams, or even G League teams, are salivating at the idea of a 6'9" skinny guy who can't score from more than 5 feet out and shoots 41% from the free throw line.

Could he graduate and transfer?  Sure.  But I, for one, would find it insanely surprising if Oso went pro.  Unless his degree is in Spanish or something.  Then it'd make more sense.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2022, 11:58:04 AM »
Yeah I think a lot of people want Davante Gardner, Part II even though he would be an awful fit for what Shaka wants to do.

I don't think anyone wants that. I think they want a Theo with skills.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2022, 11:58:39 AM »
I don't think anyone wants that. I think they want a Theo with skills.

I want an Olajuwon
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2022, 12:03:14 PM »
What pro radars is Oso on?  I'm not sure many NBA teams, or even G League teams, are salivating at the idea of a 6'9" skinny guy who can't score from more than 5 feet out and shoots 41% from the free throw line.

Could he graduate and transfer?  Sure.  But I, for one, would find it insanely surprising if Oso went pro. Unless his degree is in Spanish or something.Then it'd make more sense.
Seems very racist
Goal is National Championship

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2022, 12:09:04 PM »

Could he graduate and transfer?  Sure.  But I, for one, would find it insanely surprising if Oso went pro.  Unless his degree is in Spanish or something.  Then it'd make more sense.

Skinny? As opposed to like being fat or something?  I don't think of Oso as a skinny kid anymore. He's bulked up a considerable amount.  Strong athletic build.
VIOLENCE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2022, 02:20:15 PM »
So here we go again.

There are many reasons a basketball player leaves college to go pro -- he believes in himself to the utmost degree, regardless of what "experts" think; he doesn't like school or thinks he has as much schooling as he needs at that time; his family needs money; he is getting bad advice; he actually relishes the opportunity to play internationally if the NBA doesn't work out; he simply feels he's ready for the next step; etc.

As we see over and over and over again, a guy not being "ready" or the NBA not "salivating" over him doesn't dissuade lots of players from saying buh-bye to college sports.

We've seen it right here with Lewis, Carton, Bailey and Blue, and it happens within just about every major-college program in the country. Heck, even though he knew he'd be a first-round draft pick, Ellenson wasn't "ready" for the NBA.

Obviously, Oso isn't ready for the NBA, and he won't be after this season. And selfishly, I sure hope he and all of our other good players stick around for what we all hope will be a great 2023-24 season. But his readiness quite possibly won't factor into his decision, and our selfishness definitely won't.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2022, 02:23:50 PM »
So here we go again.

There are many reasons a basketball player leaves college to go pro -- he believes in himself to the utmost degree, regardless of what "experts" think; he doesn't like school or thinks he has as much schooling as he needs at that time; his family needs money; he is getting bad advice; he actually relishes the opportunity to play internationally if the NBA doesn't work out; he simply feels he's ready for the next step; etc.

As we see over and over and over again, a guy not being "ready" or the NBA not "salivating" over him doesn't dissuade lots of players from saying buh-bye to college sports.

We've seen it right here with Lewis, Carton, Bailey and Blue, and it happens within just about every major-college program in the country. Heck, even though he knew he'd be a first-round draft pick, Ellenson wasn't "ready" for the NBA.

Obviously, Oso isn't ready for the NBA, and he won't be after this season. And selfishly, I sure hope he and all of our other good players stick around for what we all hope will be a great 2023-24 season. But his readiness quite possibly won't factor into his decision, and our selfishness definitely won't.

All of which is a totally different discussion than what "scouting radars" Osos is showing up on.

But thanks!

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2022, 02:36:49 PM »
Skinny? As opposed to like being fat or something?  I don't think of Oso as a skinny kid anymore. He's bulked up a considerable amount.  Strong athletic build.

In context, I think skinny is a proxy for a height/weight disadvantage relative to other Big East teams

Oso is listed on MU's site as 6'9 215.

Now compared to the rest of the league:

Donavan Clingan: 7'2 265
Joel Soriano: 6'11 260
Jack Nunge: 7'0 245
Ryan Kalkbrenner: 7'1 260
Tyrese Samuels: 6'10 235
Ed Croswell: 6'8 240
Manny Bates: 6'11 240
Nick Ogenda 6'11 230
Qudus Wahab 6'11 245
Eric Dixon 6'8 255

I'm not dissing Oso--but I think he would be better playing alongside someone like Kuath as opposed to replacing him in the lineup.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2022, 02:38:20 PM »
I'm not dissing Oso--but I think he would be better playing alongside someone like Kuath as opposed to replacing him in the lineup.

So you can have two guys that can't shoot on the floor at the same time?  Oso did his job last year - his redshirt freshman season. He did it fine, but has made nice strides this year, doing exactly what Shaka wants from him.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 02:39:55 PM by Sultan Sultanberger »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2022, 02:40:27 PM »
In context, I think skinny is a proxy for a height/weight disadvantage relative to other Big East teams

Oso is listed on MU's site as 6'9 215.

Now compared to the rest of the league:

Donavan Clingan: 7'2 265
Joel Soriano: 6'11 260
Jack Nunge: 7'0 245
Ryan Kalkbrenner: 7'1 260
Tyrese Samuels: 6'10 235
Ed Croswell: 6'8 240
Manny Bates: 6'11 240
Nick Ogenda 6'11 230
Qudus Wahab 6'11 245
Eric Dixon 6'8 255

Correct.  What was implied was "relative to professional basketball players."  I thought that would've been understood when discussing whether Oso was on "scouts' radars."  Kevin Durant looks like a twig and he's got 25 lbs. on Oso.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2022, 03:40:49 PM »
All of which is a totally different discussion than what "scouting radars" Osos is showing up on.

But thanks!

Oso doesn't have to be on anybody's "scouting radar" or the subject of "whispers" to leave college for pro basketball.

But you're welcome!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

nyg

• All American
« Reply #142 on: November 29, 2022, 03:50:31 PM »
Looking forward to Omax leaving early to get drafted by an NBA team and now Oso going to play somewhere on this planet.  But most of all looking forward to Hermie providing us with hundreds of posts on what they are doing, how many points/minutes per game, solid playing time, etc. 

Come on Oso, no early fouls tonight and kick some Baylor butt. 

Carl

• Team Captain
« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2024, 10:08:56 PM »
This thread was referenced earlier today and is absolute gold to look back on.  Great time capsule that ends just before we tipped off against Baylor last year, which in hindsight might have been the game that launched the rocket ship we are still riding. It's interesting to look back at the takes on current players and the hesitancy to buy in to Shaka's culture early in his tenure.  What a long, strange, awesome trip it's been since.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2024, 10:29:23 PM »
It is an interesting trip down memory lane.