Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cupcake State  (Read 10781 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Cupcake State
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2022, 01:11:51 PM »
Panda

Shaka has stated that he would like to get guys from the portal that are more than one-year guys, if possible. There is no doubt this team would be better with an experienced big guy that could play and I thought he would land one. With the number of guys in the transfer portal I would be very surprised if Shaka could not have landed one and for whatever reason he went with the guys he had coming back.

I do struggle to see how the jury is still out on HS recruiting, simply based off the two guards on the team. That is a backcourt you build around and both will play decent minutes this season. To date, based off a small size, I would give this class a very high grade.

For the record, I was surprised that portal was not used this year and will be shocked if it is not used after this season.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2022, 01:12:31 PM »
Do we really have to be so pedantic about this? Who cares that it isn’t “real.” It just highlighting what Shaka wants.

I know we are by and large joking about the MOPE stuff, but not everything requires a negative comment. It’s just basketball.

100% agree. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2022, 01:15:26 PM »
Panda

Shaka has stated that he would like to get guys from the portal that are more than one-year guys, if possible. There is no doubt this team would be better with an experienced big guy that could play and I thought he would land one. With the number of guys in the transfer portal I would be very surprised if Shaka could not have landed one and for whatever reason he went with the guys he had coming back.

I do struggle to see how the jury is still out on HS recruiting, simply based off the two guards on the team. That is a backcourt you build around and both will play decent minutes this season. To date, based off a small size, I would give this class a very high grade.

For the record, I was surprised that portal was not used this year and will be shocked if it is not used after this season.

Jury still out is not an indictment on his hs recruiting but rather, it’s too early to judge whether these kids are successes or failures.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2022, 01:21:34 PM »
panda

Well, then it probably is too early to be questioning his HC recruiting chops. If he was a new HC with no HC recruiting experience, I could see possibly a wait and see, but the man has been an elite recruiter for quite some time. That being said, anyone that is not excited over Ross and Sean probably will only be excited if he gets guys with 4 or 5 stars next to their names.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2022, 01:28:46 PM »
It is an interesting dynamic here on Scoop.  The Projos are low key Shaka critics, and the Nojos are big Shaka fans. 

No doubt our fanbase is hungry for some NCAA tournament success.  I'd like to see it this year and think it is possible that we can get the monkey off our back and win a first round game.  I see next year as the breakthrough year to where a legitimate Sweet 16 appearance seems realistic assuming the return of all players.  A track record of NCAA tournament, Round of 32, and Sweet 16 in Shaka's first 3 years would be fantastic given the depths the program had slumped to under Wojo.

Agree with this as well.  It is an interesting dynamic.   I think success this year (unexpected for some) will have every fanatic on board going forward.  A run in the tournament next year would have the casual fan base all in.

Let’s have a good couple of weeks and at least go 2-2 against Baylor, UWM, ND and Creighton which is likely in my opinion.  Would love a 3-1 mark to surpass even the most optimistic expectations. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2022, 02:37:15 PM »
Shaka playing mind games with Scoop
Goal is National Championship

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2022, 02:42:12 PM »
Quote from: Goose link=topic=63795.msg1484010#msg1484010 date=

First, I don't doubt Shaka (or any coach for that matter) would want players who will give him more than one year.  However, Morsell, Kuath, and Wrightsil demonstrate that desire is not ironclad.

Second, even if you want this as a general policy, the scholarship situation with Lewis' departure this year was tailor-made for a one-year player. Taking a two+ year transfer would exacerbate the oversigned situation MU is already facing.

I'm fine with a general "I prefer multi-year players over single-year players" preference. But 3 of the 5 transfers Shaka has taken so far (Morsell, Kuath and Wrightsil) are one-year players, so I don't think a multi-year preference rule explains the thin frontcourt.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2022, 03:09:31 PM »
Equalizer

We needed bodies to fill a roster year and Shaka did a very good job of that. I agree that I was surprised he did not replace Lewis with a one year guy for this season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2022, 03:11:22 PM »
Equalizer

We needed bodies to fill a roster year and Shaka did a very good job of that. I agree that I was surprised he did not replace Lewis with a one year guy for this season.

He did - Wrightsil. We'll see how that plays out.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2022, 03:13:48 PM »
Yes, if  only Wrightsil had shown himself to be the high energy dervish he was at his last stop, or 6'7 for that matter.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2022, 03:16:32 PM »
Yes, if  only Wrightsil had shown himself to be the high energy dervish he was at his last stop, or 6'7 for that matter.

I'm hoping that Wrightsil gets healthy (assuming that injury is limiting him) so we can see if his skills translate to this level.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2022, 03:51:11 PM »
You are disappointed in Shaka's recruiting and use of the transfer portal is quite telling to me.

[snip]

Now, if you want to argue the makeup of the roster, I think someone could make an intelligent argument regarding the lack of size.

I guess I don't see how poor roster construction is any different than recruiting/portal disappointment.  Semantics perhaps.

Yes, Ross and S Jones look promising.  But this year we're missing players that can create their own shot.  Kolek is probably the best so far, and that's telling.  We're also missing guys that can consistently hit a lightly contested shot .  And defensively, as you mention - our frontline is skinny, Oso has been holding his own,  but Gold can't guard 5s, and who knows if Keeyan can get off the bench.  I'm also not calling the end of the world, or season.  They may put it together, I just haven't seen it yet.

As to my Shaka skepticism,  I'm not convinced his defensive philosophy / style - that fans love - can win in a major conference for the whole season.  It worked at VCU against mid-major teams, he went under .500 against the B12, we'll see if step down in competition in the BE can get him back to dominance.  DePaul / Georgetown / Butler (and Nova so far) may help with that.  As we saw last year - and in a microcosm last night - it's hard to keep that intensity up for a 20 game conference schedule against good foes.  Last night, we didn't press for a while, and the game got closer than we would have liked.  At VCU, his teams could take some defensive breaks in conference play - in the B12 and BE, that will be difficult.  Not throwing in the towel, but he'll have to show me.

I also had a Marquette Triple Double for lunch.  Delicious, but filling.  No wonder Shaka raves about it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2022, 04:29:38 PM »
i realize there are some here that still think free throws no matta, but 18/30 will lose ya a lot of close games-gotta do betta
don't...don't don't don't don't

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2022, 04:34:56 PM »
i realize there are some here that still think free throws no matta, but 18/30 will lose ya a lot of close games-gotta do betta
Not how it works
Goal is National Championship

Goose

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2022, 04:41:22 PM »
Rocky

College basketball has changed a great deal since Shaka was VCU. Shaka’s system can definitely work in a top conference, imo.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2022, 04:44:06 PM »
Shaka’s system can definitely work in a top conference, imo.

Hopefully! 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2022, 05:28:58 PM »
I guess I don't see how poor roster construction is any different than recruiting/portal disappointment.  Semantics perhaps.

Yes, Ross and S Jones look promising.  But this year we're missing players that can create their own shot.  Kolek is probably the best so far, and that's telling.  We're also missing guys that can consistently hit a lightly contested shot .  And defensively, as you mention - our frontline is skinny, Oso has been holding his own,  but Gold can't guard 5s, and who knows if Keeyan can get off the bench.  I'm also not calling the end of the world, or season.  They may put it together, I just haven't seen it yet.

As to my Shaka skepticism,  I'm not convinced his defensive philosophy / style - that fans love - can win in a major conference for the whole season.  It worked at VCU against mid-major teams, he went under .500 against the B12, we'll see if step down in competition in the BE can get him back to dominance.  DePaul / Georgetown / Butler (and Nova so far) may help with that.  As we saw last year - and in a microcosm last night - it's hard to keep that intensity up for a 20 game conference schedule against good foes.  Last night, we didn't press for a while, and the game got closer than we would have liked.  At VCU, his teams could take some defensive breaks in conference play - in the B12 and BE, that will be difficult.  Not throwing in the towel, but he'll have to show me.

I also had a Marquette Triple Double for lunch.  Delicious, but filling.  No wonder Shaka raves about it.

The full-court pressure approach now is not the same as it was during his time at VCU.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2022, 05:30:22 PM »
The full-court pressure approach now is not the same as it was during his time at VCU.

For lack of a better response.  Duh.  But still requires a similar level of energy - and my point is that's hard to sustain against a conference full of good opponents.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2022, 05:34:23 PM »
I'm hoping that Wrightsil gets healthy (assuming that injury is limiting him) so we can see if his skills translate to this level.
me too, but I’m feeling pessimistic on Wrightsil at this point. Even if healthy by Tuesday, Shaka probably isn’t throwing him into the deep end vs Baylor or RED.  (btw, can’t believe Keeyan can’t give 10 min/per of defense and boards. What the heck?)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2022, 07:18:14 PM »
For lack of a better response.  Duh.  But still requires a similar level of energy - and my point is that's hard to sustain against a conference full of good opponents.

Perhaps your point should be clearer next time.

Btw, your annoyance at the Shaka triple-double, for lack of a better term, is ludicrous.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2022, 07:38:02 PM »
Perhaps your point should be clearer next time.

Btw, your annoyance at the Shaka triple-double, for lack of a better term, is ludicrous.

I was pretty clear that I was comparing the style effectiveness mid-major vs. high-major.

And I'll have to try to get my hands on a Shaka Triple Double - the Marquette Triple Double was tasty.  I had no idea there were so many triple-double meal options!

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2022, 11:29:17 PM »
Quite honestly, I love all of the negative comments being thrown out about individual players, the team as a whole and Shaka, the coach. Most of these comments ae coming from guys that praised Theo John, Cain and Greg Elliot during their time at MU, yet find every fault in Omax, Kam or Oso. I'll take those three any day of the week over the previous trio. I am looking for those same posters to get down on Sean Jones and Ross after a poor play or game. This program is going the right direction and there are a lot of positives so far this season.

The game last night was a joke, a poor opponent, holiday weekend, nobody at the game and few days away from a big home game and big week. My gut tells me that many on here do not even believe MU will be competitive against Baylor and UW and some are basing their opinion about MU played last night. I will give some scoopers credit for having more enthusiasm for the game last night than the team did. You guys should be the STOG.

I believe that MU will be very competitive against Baylor, with a chance to win and will beat Bucky fairly handily. I said before GA Tech game that I did not have enough of a feel on the team to be confident going against Purdue or MS and I had no idea if they would keep it close or get blown out. This fan is looking forward to two exciting games this week and not concerned about Omax dribbling off his leg or Kam shooting from halfcourt.

The Hauser boys would’ve taken Jamal, Theo, and Greg over this year’s 3. Hell, they would’ve taken them over Markus Howard.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2022, 11:30:22 PM »
I'd argue it is more difficult to achieve the "Marquette triple double" than a traditional triple double.  Double digit points is definitely an easier milestone than 10 deflections in a game.

Double digit points was part of Oso’s “Marquette triple double…”

Goose

• All American
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2022, 12:36:04 AM »
Bias

What the hell are you talking about?

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2022, 01:03:28 AM »
me too, but I’m feeling pessimistic on Wrightsil at this point. Even if healthy by Tuesday, Shaka probably isn’t throwing him into the deep end vs Baylor or RED.  (btw, can’t believe Keeyan can’t give 10 min/per of defense and boards. What the heck?)

It’s a shame Wrightsil hasn’t worked out as I think we really needed another forward on this team. No inside info, but I think at this point we’re trending towards a medical redshirt and I think that he’ll transfer and go play at a smaller D1 school next year. Would be surprised if he plays another minute for MU.