[Today at 03:40:45 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: True Road Games in November  (Read 6616 times)

Elonsmusk

• All American
Re: True Road Games in November
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2022, 10:19:27 AM »
I'm starting to think anybody who leads Marquette in scoring that isn't Caucasian will be labeled as selfish and only in it for themselves at Marquette.

Why?

Bias

Then you are one fxxked up dude.

Agree with this analysis

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2022, 10:19:43 AM »
I think MU got the most out of Morsell and Lewis last year, especially before the end of season decline. Both played very big roles in the great run and were major part of the success. That said, I think they both became more driven by selfish goals as the season played out and played a bigger role in the swoon. I do not fault either guy for showcasing their skills, especially when MU was receiving national attention, but I believe they were not the same players the last 3-4 weeks of the season.

No offense Goose, but that’s not true at all with regards to Justin
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

panda

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2022, 10:21:07 AM »
No offense Goose, but that’s not true at all with regards to Justin

They were the two best players on the team. They should’ve been selfish.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2022, 10:22:13 AM »
Bias

Then you are one fxxked up dude.
Nah, he is about right.
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2022, 10:25:24 AM »
I think MU got the most out of Morsell and Lewis last year, especially before the end of season decline. Both played very big roles in the great run and were major part of the success. That said, I think they both became more driven by selfish goals as the season played out and played a bigger role in the swoon. I do not fault either guy for showcasing their skills, especially when MU was receiving national attention, but I believe they were not the same players the last 3-4 weeks of the season.
No, coaches really focused D on both of them specially JFL. We had no real answer on offense.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2022, 10:25:40 AM »
They were the two best players on the team. They should’ve been selfish.

Darryl’s numbers down the stretch were pretty bad.  Justin had a few clunkers, too, but his play matched the arc of his overall season
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

panda

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2022, 10:27:28 AM »
Darryl’s numbers down the stretch were pretty bad.  Justin had a few clunkers, too, but his play matched the arc of his overall season

No one’s numbers down the stretch were great, but if not Justin, I’m still picking Daryl last year to have the ball in his hands at the end of the game. No one else really stepped up at the opportunity.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2022, 10:30:30 AM »
No one’s numbers down the stretch were great, but if not Justin, I’m still picking Daryl last year to have the ball in his hands at the end of the game. No one else really stepped up at the opportunity.
Yup 5 year senior, experience is a big factor specially in college, and experience at high level.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2022, 10:39:37 AM »

Yeah, I don’t have a problem with how they were used.

If they were being “selfish”, then the coach has to correct that, no?  If Shaka didn’t, then that’s a failure on his part.

I don’t believe either of those things are true, so no, I’m not pining for Hank Raymonds or any other coach

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2022, 10:44:57 AM »
I asked the question in preseason as to who were going to be the "go to guys"?  The Scoop Intelligencia overall responded with Kolek, OMax and Kam.

This game we got last year's shooting Tyler, Moon Shot Kam and Joplin instead of OMax at the end.

It will take time for the pieces to come together.  The COLE Bus has plenty of seats still on it. Come join me.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2022, 11:00:13 AM »
It surprises me to say this, but I would start Joplin over Omax.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2022, 11:01:14 AM »
Yeah, I don’t have a problem with how they were used.

If they were being “selfish”, then the coach has to correct that, no?  If Shaka didn’t, then that’s a failure on his part.

I don’t believe either of those things are true, so no, I’m not pining for Hank Raymonds or any other coach

This, exactly.  The meat men twist themselves into pretzels to try to knock Steve and slurp Shaka.  On one end you just "don't know ball" if you can't see the difference between 0 NCAA Tournament wins in the last 7 seasons and 0 NCAA Tournament wins in the last 7 seasons, and then the coach needs to get his team not to play selfishly when it's Markus playing selfishly but it's the players' fault when it's Shaka's squad.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2022, 11:12:38 AM »
It surprises me to say this, but I would start Joplin over Omax.

I do not see how you can start Kam and Joplin together at this point.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2022, 11:15:09 AM »
I do not see how you can start Kam and Joplin together at this point.

You can't. The lack of defensive awareness would be really hard to overcome without an eraser at the rim.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2022, 11:22:22 AM »
This, exactly.  The meat men twist themselves into pretzels to try to knock Steve and slurp Shaka.  On one end you just "don't know ball" if you can't see the difference between 0 NCAA Tournament wins in the last 7 seasons and 0 NCAA Tournament wins in the last 7 seasons, and then the coach needs to get his team not to play selfishly when it's Markus playing selfishly but it's the players' fault when it's Shaka's squad.

No need to twist into pretzels to try to knock Steve...that's an effortless and logical reality to assert he was a terrible coach.  Sorry you were a Projo and Steve Slurper...just another in a long string of loser takes you make. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2022, 11:25:34 AM »
You can't. The lack of defensive awareness would be really hard to overcome without an eraser at the rim.
Yes it would be brutal.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2022, 11:27:05 AM »
I asked the question in preseason as to who were going to be the "go to guys"?  The Scoop Intelligencia overall responded with Kolek, OMax and Kam.

This game we got last year's shooting Tyler, Moon Shot Kam and Joplin instead of OMax at the end.

It will take time for the pieces to come together.  The COLE Bus has plenty of seats still on it. Come join me.
Better yet, I'll buy you a beer this weekend.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2022, 11:30:20 AM »
Rico

I stated I had zero problem with their "selfish" play at the end of last season. They put themselves and the team in a very good position in January and deserved a bit of rope. That being said, if I were the coach, I would have to talked to them about it. In addition, I think any "selfish" play be those two was not a 40 minute a game event, more several times a game forcing things.

Bias

This meat guy thought Wojo was a horrible leader and basketball coach. He was a decent recruiter, IMO, but a very bad D1 coach IMO. Time will tell if he gets a second chance or not to prove otherwise.

My bar for Shaka is much, much higher than it was for Steve and I will judge him accordingly. One year and three games in I think Shaka is going the right direction, but still a lot of work to be done. It is 100% up to him to recruit the right guys and win basketball games, plain and simple. If we are stuck in quicksand in two years and 19-11 I will be the first to jump all over Shaka.

Your comment amount a white guy leading the team in scoring is kind of funny to me. You would think that Wojo would be getting more support than Shaka be using that twisting logic.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2022, 11:41:59 AM »
Yes it would be brutal.

And yet, MU built its lead with Kam and Jop in the game in the 2nd, lost it when Jop subbed out, and then closed it when Jop subbed back in at the end (too little, too late).

Will that work every night? Maybe not but Jop is an Alpha.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2022, 11:57:56 AM »
IIRC there was more than one presser during last season's swoon where Shaka emphasized that they needed to get back to playing for each other. Was that in reference to Justin and Darryl? Someone else? Or was it just a canned coachism? Wish Shaka would come around so he could tell us.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2022, 12:03:36 PM »
And yet, MU built its lead with Kam and Jop in the game in the 2nd, lost it when Jop subbed out, and then closed it when Jop subbed back in at the end (too little, too late).

Will that work every night? Maybe not but Jop is an Alpha.
True but it was a special circumstance, Edey effect?

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2022, 12:20:05 PM »
Whole lotta noise around a game that nearly everyone assumed we'd lose but in reality were the better team for the vast majority of it.

I generally agree with the lack of talent complaints, especially with Wrightsil looking like a 10th man, but how many times do we have to be reminded of Shaka's long-term strategy of building a cohesive team from the ground-up?

If you've been paying attention, things are going almost exactly like Shaka said they would from the beginning. If we don't end up showing progress over the course of this season, I think its totally fair to blame Shaka for roster construction etc. But if you have hundreds of posts on this forum, you shouldn't be surprised by the makeup of our roster at this point.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2022, 12:27:26 PM »
Better yet, I'll buy you a beer this weekend.

Did I hear free beer?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2022, 12:32:16 PM »
Did I hear free beer?
You got it, don't let dgies know, JB?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2022, 01:41:17 PM »
Whole lotta noise around a game that nearly everyone assumed we'd lose but in reality were the better team for the vast majority of it.

I generally agree with the lack of talent complaints, especially with Wrightsil looking like a 10th man, but how many times do we have to be reminded of Shaka's long-term strategy of building a cohesive team from the ground-up?

If you've been paying attention, things are going almost exactly like Shaka said they would from the beginning. If we don't end up showing progress over the course of this season, I think its totally fair to blame Shaka for roster construction etc. But if you have hundreds of posts on this forum, you shouldn't be surprised by the makeup of our roster at this point.

Well said.  Wrightsill may not make much of an impact, but as I recall we pursued some other coveted 4-man transfers and didn't hit the winners circle.  Such is life in recruiting at times. 

My horizon to see how thing are going per Shaka's plan is how we finish in 2023-2024.  Assuming all the core guys stay (we are oversigned by 1) I expect we will have a Top 3 Big East team and what should be a team that is capable to advance to a Round of 32/Sweet 16.