[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 469361 times)

mugrad_89

• All American
Re: Big East Results 22-23
« Reply #1925 on: February 14, 2023, 02:45:10 PM »
I was curious about this. This is a really rudimentary analysis but I subtracted defensive FTR (how many fouls you get called for) from offensive FTR (how many fouls your opponent gets called for) to see who has had the biggest advantage at the line in conference play:

Georgetown 8.9 (maybe not even FTR matta!)
Creighton 8.7
Providence 7.7
Seton Hall 5.9
Butler 4.7
Xavier 1.9
Villanova 1.2
Marquette -7.3
St. John's -8.1
UConn -10.7
DePaul -13.5

So...in the Big East this year, FTs are either a positive for you or they are a huge negative.

Maybe Brew is on to something, of the 7 teams in the positive you have 7 guys with lengthy Big East histories, several of them dating back to their playing days. The four deep negatives are all guys who are new to the Big East in the past few years....and Dan Hurley who probably deserves it

And it’s not like we’re strictly a jump shooting team - plain and simple, we aren’t getting as favorable a whistle as Creighton and Providence.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1926 on: February 14, 2023, 02:47:34 PM »
It's actually a little more than one game. We are dead last in FTR in conference play at 24.3. That's after a recent three game streak (NOVA, BUT, @UCONN) of getting a lot of calls. Before that we were hovering close to 20 with the second worse team sitting at 25.2 (the third worst team is at 26 before there is group of five teams within a point of each other 28.2-29.2). Meanwhile, our season FTR is 26.9, meaning that in non-conference play we had a FTR significantly higher than 26.9.

Now that doesn't mean that Shaka is getting screwed because he hasn't won a coach of the year award. I don't buy that personally (though it likely wouldn't hurt). I think a more likely culprit is that Big East officials call things differently than other conferences and Shaka either hasn't been able to or has decided not to adjust to it. Theoretically, this should give us an advantage in March.
MU was last in FTR last season too and it doesn't really look like Shaka teams have ever had a high FTR.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1927 on: February 14, 2023, 02:50:34 PM »
We get a lot of good looks, even at the rim. Part of me wonders if our offense is so efficient that even our shots at the rim are fairly open and less chances for fouls. At least earlier in the year, we had a lot of open Oso dunks or open backdoor plays.

MU90620

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1928 on: February 14, 2023, 02:54:25 PM »
I was curious about this. This is a really rudimentary analysis but I subtracted defensive FTR (how many fouls you get called for) from offensive FTR (how many fouls your opponent gets called for) to see who has had the biggest advantage at the line in conference play:

Creighton 8.7
Providence 7.7
Seton Hall 5.9
Butler 4.7
Xavier 1.9
Villanova 1.2
Marquette -7.3
St. John's -8.1
UConn -10.7
DePaul -13.5

So...in the Big East this year, FTs are either a positive for you or they are a huge negative.

Maybe Brew is on to something, of the 7 teams in the positive you have 7 guys with lengthy Big East histories, several of them dating back to their playing days. The four deep negatives are all guys who are new to the Big East in the past few years....and Dan Hurley who probably deserves it

Given that Gtown and Butler are probably outliers because teams getting hammered tend to get a favorable whistle, especially in the 2nd half, I would say that it is significant that Creighton, Seton Hall, Villanova and Xavier haven’t played at Providence yet.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1929 on: February 14, 2023, 03:31:34 PM »
It's actually a little more than one game. We are dead last in FTR in conference play at 24.3. That's after a recent three game streak (NOVA, BUT, @UCONN) of getting a lot of calls. Before that we were hovering close to 20 with the second worse team sitting at 25.2 (the third worst team is at 26 before there is group of five teams within a point of each other 28.2-29.2). Meanwhile, our season FTR is 26.9, meaning that in non-conference play we had a FTR significantly higher than 26.9.

Now that doesn't mean that Shaka is getting screwed because he hasn't won a coach of the year award. I don't buy that personally (though it likely wouldn't hurt). I think a more likely culprit is that Big East officials call things differently than other conferences and Shaka either hasn't been able to or has decided not to adjust to it. Theoretically, this should give us an advantage in March.

That's how the roster is built.  We don't have bruisers and bangers and slashers.  We have guys who shoot floaters, open dunks, and 3s.

Creighton 8.7
Providence 7.7
Seton Hall 5.9
Butler 4.7
Xavier 1.9
Villanova 1.2
Marquette -7.3
St. John's -8.1
UConn -10.7
DePaul -13.5

Lol man we go really deep to put our tin foil hats on here sometimes.

What "lengthy Big East history" have Sean Miller or Thad Matta had?  They'd never coached a game in the Big East prior to this season.  I'd argue Kyle Neptune at least has been an assistant coach in the Big East, but I doubt refs are favoring him for that either.  And we're going to go back to playing days for Shaheen Halloway?  So 4 of the 7 teams that have a positive are literally coaching their first games ever in the Big East.

But yes.  MU gets screwed because Shaka hasn't been around enough to earn the respect of the refs, and doesn't have a BECOY award.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #1930 on: February 14, 2023, 03:33:10 PM »
That's how the roster is built.  We don't have bruisers and bangers and slashers.  We have guys who shoot floaters, open dunks, and 3s.

What "lengthy Big East history" have Sean Miller or Thad Matta had?  They'd never coached a game in the Big East prior to this season.  I'd argue Kyle Neptune at least has been an assistant coach in the Big East, but I doubt refs are favoring him for that either.  And we're going to go back to playing days for Shaheen Halloway?  So 4 of the 7 teams that have a positive are literally coaching their first games ever in the Big East.
False.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1931 on: February 14, 2023, 03:41:17 PM »
What "lengthy Big East history" have Sean Miller had? 

I mean Sean played at Pitt iirc
Maigh Eo for Sam

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1932 on: February 14, 2023, 03:56:09 PM »
I mean Sean played at Pitt iirc

True.

But my eyes couldn't roll further back in my head at the idea that guys who finished their Big East playing days 22 years ago are getting better whistles than other coaches in the Big East.  The woe is me attitude of the fanbase sometimes is absurd.

If it was Allen Iverson or if it's Patrick Ewing I guess I could see how people could talk themselves into that.  They're legends and maybe the refs get caught up in that.  But Shaheen Holloway or Sean Miller?  Nah.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1933 on: February 14, 2023, 04:05:08 PM »

Creighton 8.7
Providence 7.7
Seton Hall 5.9
Butler 4.7
Xavier 1.9
Villanova 1.2
Marquette -7.3
St. John's -8.1
UConn -10.7
DePaul -13.5

Maybe its just because the coaches with long Big East histories understand how the refs call the games in this conference and build their teams accordingly.  My guess is if Shaka wins BECOY, and plays the exact same style next season, we will be near last in FTR again.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1934 on: February 14, 2023, 04:17:20 PM »

But yes.  MU gets screwed because Shaka hasn't been around enough to earn the respect of the refs, and doesn't have a BECOY award.

I didn't mention it in the second post because I put it in the first post, I really don't buy into any of this. I was just curious if the numbers even backed up what Brew was saying. Turns out they do a little bit but I think that's better explained by style of play (like you said) and not adjusting to the Big East's style of reffing.

I was wrong about Matta. My head just thought "he coached at Butler and Xavier" without remembering that his time there predated them being in the Big East.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1935 on: February 14, 2023, 04:27:27 PM »
When they had Cooley & Company on the all miked up games, Ed Cooley spent about 75 percent of the game jaw boning refs . Multiply that vigorous harassment activity over the course of many years and am guessing that gives him some sort of advantage , even if it’s only one or two calls a game .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1936 on: February 14, 2023, 04:32:58 PM »
When they had Cooley & Company on the all miked up games, Ed Cooley spent about 75 percent of the game jaw boning refs . Multiply that vigorous harassment activity over the course of many years and am guessing that gives him some sort of advantage , even if it’s only one or two calls a game .

Every coach works the officials.  Shaka works the officials.  Marquette fans ignore it because he’s Marquette’s coach.  I guarantee fans of opposing teams believe Shaka “overworks” the officials
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1937 on: February 14, 2023, 04:42:14 PM »
Every coach works the officials.  Shaka works the officials.  Marquette fans ignore it because he’s Marquette’s coach.  I guarantee fans of opposing teams believe Shaka “overworks” the officials

I just think we ignore it/don't notice because he gives off more subtle and casual body language when talking to them so it doesn't seem as aggressive and obnoxious.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1938 on: February 14, 2023, 04:43:57 PM »
I just think we ignore it/don't notice because he gives off more subtle and casual body language when talking to them so it doesn't seem as aggressive and obnoxious.

Different ways to handle it and no one way is the correct way, unless physically violent
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #1939 on: February 14, 2023, 04:49:06 PM »

Even to the extent that he calls a timeout with 20 on the shot clock and the ball is still in the backcourt an it’s not a violation.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #1940 on: February 14, 2023, 05:27:34 PM »
Ok guys. MU has a chance to win the big east. If providence beats creighton tonight MU will have a bigger chance to win it for sure!

Creighton favored by 2.

Do I place a small reverse jinx bet on creighton so they lose?

Or do I bet a small chunk on providence cause I think provi might actually Win.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1941 on: February 14, 2023, 05:30:15 PM »

Cooley is a class act.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1942 on: February 14, 2023, 05:33:59 PM »

Cooley is working them during warm-ups, introductions, every whistle, during free throws, during time outs, and as they run by. Jay Wright was no different, maybe worse.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1943 on: February 14, 2023, 06:02:50 PM »
Big Opportunity tonight for Mike Anderson to keep his streak of non losing seasons going. Will be a battle  for The Johnnies against The Blue Demons though on the road at Wintrust.   
            ---Al McGuire

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #1944 on: February 14, 2023, 06:41:55 PM »
CU-PC is a high quality game so far.

I’m rooting for the Friars, but the consolation prize if they lose is that it lowers the possibility that MU would get the 4 seed in the conference tournament and be paired against UConn.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1945 on: February 14, 2023, 06:44:42 PM »

I’m rooting for the Friars, but the consolation prize if they lose is that it lowers the possibility that MU would get the 4 seed in the conference tournament and be paired against UConn.

UConn would be the 6 if the season ended today, no?

Seton Hall beat them.  They have to play again Saturday, but Hall is the 5 as of now.
VIOLENCE!

fjm

• All American
« Reply #1946 on: February 14, 2023, 06:50:39 PM »
Hey Herman. Is it possible your boy Ed Cooley actually is on creighton payroll?

How do they not go inside against Brian Kalkenberger at least once in the last 5 min when he has 2 fouls?

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #1947 on: February 14, 2023, 06:54:34 PM »
They are going to need one of Hopkins or Bynum to have a big second half to pull it off

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1948 on: February 14, 2023, 07:02:34 PM »
Hey Herman. Is it possible your boy Ed Cooley actually is on creighton payroll?

How do they not go inside against Brian Kalkenberger at least once in the last 5 min when he has 2 fouls?
It has been chronicled that Cooley and McDermott are very close friends .
            ---Al McGuire

dajudge

• Starter
« Reply #1949 on: February 14, 2023, 07:02:50 PM »

Switched to bucks at half but saw they talked about player of year
Kolek mentioned??