'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 470424 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Big East Results 22-23
« Reply #825 on: December 31, 2022, 01:06:43 PM »
FT’s no Matta blah blah blah.

But it is insane some of the free throw disparities that are happening in these games. X shooting 15 more free throws before garbage time.
That cost UConn the game.

Actually that is the free throw stat that matters. Free throw rate.

Free throw percentage is not usually a statistically significant factor.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #826 on: December 31, 2022, 01:07:21 PM »
I’d take Danny Hurley coaching my team

I'll take Jay Wright coaching my team. You can win a National Championship without swearing at referees in the final 2 minutes of essentially an even game.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #827 on: December 31, 2022, 01:08:32 PM »
I'll take Jay Wright coaching my team. You can win a National Championship without swearing at referees in the final 2 minutes of essentially an even game.

Yes, I’d take him, too
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #828 on: December 31, 2022, 01:09:48 PM »

Uh… you don’t think Wright got techs for yelling at refs?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #829 on: December 31, 2022, 01:30:15 PM »
From what I’ve seen so far this conference season, if MU wants to get to 12 conference wins, they’d better get 8 or 9 in the 10 games against SH, Butler, DePaul, GU, and SJU. Those teams all look pretty bad.

Then pick up 3 or 4 against the other 5 teams. Those are going to be hard to come by; getting the one against Creighton is a good first step.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #830 on: December 31, 2022, 02:09:06 PM »
I’d like to see us guard the 3 point line in the second half.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #831 on: December 31, 2022, 03:39:40 PM »
I'm of the opposite mind. In general on defense I think it is better to not let the opponent do what they want to do. Neptune is no Wright but he's not a dummy. If they want to shoot threes it is because the coach knows that that this is a better strategy for their team than going for twos. Yes they have a better 2P% than 3P% but I think that is because teams are defending the three and they are only taking the two when it is effectively a gimme. I think Nova will turn down twos in favor of threes whether you try to run them off the line or not. The difference is that they will make them if you leave them open and will only make some of them if you are in their grill.

We discussed this at length, but they mirrored the strategy I thought they would and ultimately it worked. 'Nova shot over their heads in the first half, then regressed to the mean in the second. They were still getting plenty of good looks, but they weren't hitting them. It was always unlikely 'Nova would keep up the 46% they were making in the first half, and they finished right around 36% while taking more than half their shots from beyond the arc. It was the right strategy. We left them open, they made some early, then came back to reality because we shut them out of the lane.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #832 on: December 31, 2022, 03:40:39 PM »
UCONN plays Providence, Creighton and then us. Will they sweep?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #833 on: December 31, 2022, 03:42:54 PM »
From what I’ve seen so far this conference season, if MU wants to get to 12 conference wins, they’d better get 8 or 9 in the 10 games against SH, Butler, DePaul, GU, and SJU. Those teams all look pretty bad.

Then pick up 3 or 4 against the other 5 teams. Those are going to be hard to come by; getting the one against Creighton is a good first step.

And winning at Nova is a good second step. ;D
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #834 on: December 31, 2022, 03:59:56 PM »
UCONN plays Providence, Creighton and then us. Will they sweep?

I think UConn is very good, but I also think overrated some with all the Best in Country talk. Unimpressive against Georgetown, not overpowering against Nova, and now this loss.

I think Marquette has a great opportunity to take one from them at home. We'll have trouble with Sanogo ... but they'll have some trouble with us, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #835 on: December 31, 2022, 04:06:00 PM »
I think UConn might still be the best team in the country, but that's because I don't think there are any overwhelming teams. Houston, Purdue, UConn, Tennessee, and maybe Kansas all have a case right now. Today went poorly for them, but no one is finishing undefeated. I still think they win 16-18 Big East games. Hopefully January 11th is one they don't win.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #836 on: December 31, 2022, 04:06:34 PM »
UCONN had been as impressive as any team in the country. Lost to a top 25 team on the road in a tight game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #837 on: December 31, 2022, 04:07:55 PM »
Marquette's got a decent shot at making UConn lose to another top-25-ish team on the road on 1/11/23.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #838 on: December 31, 2022, 04:10:55 PM »
I think UConn is very good, but I also think overrated some with all the Best in Country talk. Unimpressive against Georgetown, not overpowering against Nova, and now this loss.

I think Marquette has a great opportunity to take one from them at home. We'll have trouble with Sanogo ... but they'll have some trouble with us, too.

Until the Georgetown game, I admit I was buying into the Best in the Country talk, but I saw some chinks in their armor in DC. Nova played fairly well against them on the road (another chink) and then today they simply got outplayed. Hurley getting T'd up was the icing on the cake.  ;D

Marquette taking them down in Milwaukee is very doable. On the road? I doubt it. 

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #839 on: December 31, 2022, 04:11:47 PM »
Until the Georgetown game, I admit I was buying into the Best in the Country talk, but I saw some chinks in their armor in DC. Nova played fairly well against them on the road (another chink) and then today they simply got outplayed. Hurley getting T'd up was the icing on the cake.  ;D

Marquette taking them down in Milwaukee is very doable. On the road? I doubt it.

You said this better than I did. My thoughts exactly.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #840 on: December 31, 2022, 04:16:17 PM »
True, though I was rooting for him to get the triple-double (2 assists away)
Not me. After getting a tech last game talking sh!t to the Nova coach, as well as him talking trash today to Kunkel after a made 3, he is moving up on the dislike list

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #841 on: December 31, 2022, 04:24:47 PM »
Not me. After getting a tech last game talking sh!t to the Nova coach, as well as him talking trash today to Kunkel after a made 3, he is moving up on the dislike list

Two things.  Easy to hate, good coach
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #842 on: December 31, 2022, 04:31:26 PM »
So I know there has been talk of there only being 4 Big East teams potentially making the tourney this year.  It's early but it seems there might be a clear top and bottom "half" of the league.  Could definitely see these 6 going dancing:

Marquette
UConn
Xavier
Providence
Creighton
Nova

Thoughts? 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #843 on: December 31, 2022, 04:34:10 PM »
So I know there has been talk of there only being 4 Big East teams potentially making the tourney this year.  It's early but it seems there might be a clear top and bottom "half" of the league.  Could definitely see these 6 going dancing:

Marquette
UConn
Xavier
Providence
Creighton
Nova

Thoughts?

Nova and Creighton are both skilled enough. Question is whether there's enough good opportunities left for both to get a good resume to counter some rough losses
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #844 on: December 31, 2022, 04:34:19 PM »
You said this better than I did. My thoughts exactly.

Did I not write several days ago we could absolutely take them out on 1-11? 

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #845 on: December 31, 2022, 04:35:34 PM »
I hope I’m wrong…

But, no way the BE gets 6 teams.  5 maybe…

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #846 on: December 31, 2022, 04:38:12 PM »
Nova and Creighton are both skilled enough. Question is whether there's enough good opportunities left for both to get a good resume to counter some rough losses

I hope I’m wrong…

But, no way the BE gets 6 teams.  5 maybe…

Both fair and maybe Providence ends up on the outside.  But I can see Providence, Creighton, and Nova running up wins on the lower half of the conference and getting a big win or two. 

Maybe I'm just being too optimistic for the conference as a whole give the OOC struggles. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #847 on: December 31, 2022, 04:42:15 PM »

Marquette
UConn
Xavier
Providence
Creighton
Nova

Thoughts?

I think all six have the potential to get there. Butler and Seton Hall aren't entirely dead as both have some decent non-con wins to hang their hats on.

Might try to dig in tonight, but it will depend largely on how the standings come out. Teams like PC, Creighton, and 'Nova probably don't get in at 10-10 or 11-9. But if you had all of those teams at 12+ wins in league they could all get in. But then you need 3-4 really bad teams. Get Butler, Georgetown, and DePaul all to 15+ losses and you have a shot. Last year, the six Big East tourney teams went 34-4 against the bottom three teams in the league. Do something like that and we might be able to get to six, especially with the ACC, Pac-12, A-10, and WCC down compared to recent years.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #848 on: December 31, 2022, 04:43:45 PM »

Marquette
UConn
Xavier
Providence
Creighton
Nova

Thoughts?

Technically possible but the bottom 5 will get a few wins and knock a team or two in that list out.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #849 on: December 31, 2022, 04:46:07 PM »
I think all six have the potential to get there. Butler and Seton Hall aren't entirely dead as both have some decent non-con wins to hang their hats on.

Might try to dig in tonight, but it will depend largely on how the standings come out. Teams like PC, Creighton, and 'Nova probably don't get in at 10-10 or 11-9. But if you had all of those teams at 12+ wins in league they could all get in. But then you need 3-4 really bad teams. Get Butler, Georgetown, and DePaul all to 15+ losses and you have a shot. Last year, the six Big East tourney teams went 34-4 against the bottom three teams in the league. Do something like that and we might be able to get to six, especially with the ACC, Pac-12, A-10, and WCC down compared to recent years.

Yeah, that was the type of scenario I was thinking of.  Probably unlikely but possible. 

feedback