Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Poll , NET Rankings and Team Sheets  (Read 133718 times)

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Big East Poll , NET Rankings and Team Sheets
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2022, 03:52:08 PM »
Ewing's pay day won't allow him to do the same.

Yeah, he's making almost four mil a year at Georgetown, but he earned almost $120 million playing basketball.  It's not like he needs the money. 

Although he once famously told us that he spends a lot, so he needs to make a lot.

The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2022, 04:04:17 PM »
Yeah, he's making almost four mil a year at Georgetown, but he earned almost $120 million playing basketball.  It's not like he needs the money. 

Although he once famously told us that he spends a lot, so he needs to make a lot.

Cut the $120m down for taxes and paying agents to at least half.

He last played basketball 22 years ago. 

Is your suggestion that he should voluntarily give up his paycheck at Georgetown?  Why?  He's absolutely cooked as a future head coach at college or pros.  The best that he can hope for is being stashed on the bench of a pro team, or just call it a career.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2022, 04:05:22 PM »
I get what you're saying, but Marquette only tolerated Dukiet for three years:

One could argue that Ewing wishes he had the success that Dukiet had at Marquette.
True. Georgetown has decided to give their Dukiet Years an extended run.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2022, 04:19:51 PM »

Is your suggestion that he should voluntarily give up his paycheck at Georgetown?  Why?  He's absolutely cooked as a future head coach at college or pros.  The best that he can hope for is being stashed on the bench of a pro team, or just call it a career.

Yeah, I'm suggesting that he steps down to stop embarrassing his alma mater.  He should be able to comfortably enjoy retirement.  He's 60.  That's not too young to retire if you are financially able to.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2022, 04:21:46 PM »

There's a million basketball related careers he could be stashed away in with his connections. Then there's always TV/radio which while not a ton would certainly be some nice supplemental income.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2022, 04:23:14 PM »
There's a million basketball related careers he could be stashed away in with his connections. Then there's always TV/radio which while not a ton would certainly be some nice supplemental income.

I don't disagree, but those roles probably aren't getting him 4m a year.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2022, 04:38:20 PM »
I don't disagree, but those roles probably aren't getting him 4m a year.

Yeah that's definitely true. I guess it comes down to how much he cares about Georgetown. I know if it was me I'd probably have stepped down for MU by now
Maigh Eo for Sam

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2022, 04:41:49 PM »
There are plenty of embarrassing things that people can earn lots of money doing.  It's not always the right thing to take the highest possible money offer out there if it's going to put a giant stain on your legacy.  Also, again, it's different to walk away from a $4 million a year gig when you don't already have tens of millions in the bank.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2022, 04:42:42 PM »
Yeah that's definitely true. I guess it comes down to how much he cares about Georgetown. I know if it was me I'd probably have stepped down for MU by now

For me, it was would depend on what my current and future financials were looking like.

I'd hate to be such a huge embarrassment, but on the other hand... I'd hate being bankrupt more.   ;D

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2022, 04:44:02 PM »
There are plenty of embarrassing things that people can earn lots of money doing. 
Dentist?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2022, 04:44:43 PM »
There are plenty of embarrassing things that people can earn lots of money doing.  It's not always the right thing to take the highest possible money offer out there if it's going to put a giant stain on your legacy.  Also, again, it's different to walk away from a $4 million a year gig when you don't already have tens of millions in the bank.

I don't think there are very many people who are looking at Patrick Ewing any different than they would if he was still sitting around on an NBA bench.  And why wouldn't he make as much as he can?  It's not on him to make the decision for Georgetown.  That's on the administration at Georgetown, particularly in the athletic department.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2022, 04:45:36 PM »
I don't think there are very many people who are looking at Patrick Ewing any different than they would if he was still sitting around on an NBA bench.  And why wouldn't he make as much as he can?  It's not on him to make the decision for Georgetown.  That's on the administration at Georgetown, particularly in the athletic department.

WWCMD?

What would Chris Mullen do?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2022, 04:46:06 PM »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 14, 2022, 04:49:04 PM »
It's not on him to make the decision for Georgetown.  That's on the administration at Georgetown, particularly in the athletic department.

I agree with this entirely. I would hope that Georgetown would initiate the process, but then Patrick would gracefully step down. I've always suspected that this is what happened at SJU.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 04:50:48 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2022, 05:00:02 PM »
For me, it was would depend on what my current and future financials were looking like.

I'd hate to be such a huge embarrassment, but on the other hand... I'd hate being bankrupt more.   ;D

Lol if you were spending at the rate that going from 4m to a few hundred K in an NBA office would bankrupt you then maybe it's time to head to H&R Block for some financial planning advice
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 14, 2022, 05:15:39 PM »
Lol if you were spending at the rate that going from 4m to a few hundred K in an NBA office would bankrupt you then maybe it's time to head to H&R Block for some financial planning advice

When you've earned so much money over such a long period of time, you probably get used to living a certain way.  When that's dropped by 85% that makes a big difference, even if you're still earning a lot of money and have a lot of money in the bank.  If I were approaching my 60s and had kids, I'd probably want to make every penny to make sure my kids and their kids are set for life.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #116 on: December 14, 2022, 10:47:59 PM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 14, 2022, 11:04:32 PM »
When you've earned so much money over such a long period of time, you probably get used to living a certain way.  When that's dropped by 85% that makes a big difference, even if you're still earning a lot of money and have a lot of money in the bank.  If I were approaching my 60s and had kids, I'd probably want to make every penny to make sure my kids and their kids are set for life.

I mean, I’d assume he’d have adjusted in the FIFTEEN years after he stopped being a highly paid pro and was only making a few hundred K on an NBA bench. 

I’m not suggesting he resign from GTown cause he doesn’t need the money or some nonsense, but there is no way he was living from age 40-55 living a “certain way” on the assumption he’d be getting a inflated Alma Mater salary down the road.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2022, 05:52:49 AM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2022, 07:14:02 AM »

Patrick Ewing made over 112 million before he was 40, 211 million adjusted for inflation.I don’t know exactly what you mean by “living a certain way” but that’s generational wealth unless one throws it away.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2022, 07:37:33 AM »
Patrick Ewing made over 112 million before he was 40, 211 million adjusted for inflation.I don’t know exactly what you mean by “living a certain way” but that’s generational wealth unless one throws it away.

Which sometimes young rich people do. Not to mention he had to pay an agent and taxes and was living in NYC. I don’t know how he spent his money, but he wouldn’t be the first person to lose a lot of money when you had a lot of it as a young famous person living in a big market.

I also don’t think it’s in many people’s DNA to just decide to go to their boss and say, “you know what? I stink at this job. I’m going to go back to my old job where I made 15% of what I make now. Sorry for what I did to your company!”

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2022, 07:40:36 AM »
Like most of us, rich people don't usually walk away from becoming more rich.

I mean, he may be miserable and would do it for his happiness, but he isn't doing it just because.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 15, 2022, 08:41:40 AM »
Like most of us, rich people don't usually walk away from becoming more rich.

I mean, he may be miserable and would do it for his happiness, but he isn't doing it just because.

I can't think if any reason that he would simply walk away form his job. Loyalty to his alma mater? That's crazy talk. People who have a dream job making tons of money don't typically just walk away. They either get pushed out, or they stay and keep cashing checks. In my first post on this topic I suggested that the Big East have an intervention with Georgetown's AD because the only way Patrick leaves that job is if he's forced out. My point has been that I hope he handles it gracefully when the time comes and steps down instead of making Georgetown actually pull the trigger.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #123 on: December 15, 2022, 08:47:20 AM »
I think the BE presidents need to have a conversation with their colleague at Georgetown. Remember they still have that goofy structure where the basketball coach reports directly to the president, which worked at a unique time and place 40 years ago, but is just not how you run a modern athletic department.

They have a TV contract negotiation upcoming and I think it would serve everyone's interests to fix that program.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2022, 08:49:59 AM »
I think the BE presidents need to have a conversation with their colleague at Georgetown. Remember they still have that goofy structure where the basketball coach reports directly to the president, which worked at a unique time and place 40 years ago, but is just not how you run a modern athletic department.

They have a TV contract negotiation upcoming and I think it would serve everyone's interests to fix that program.

Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing that at some point; I had forgotten. Yes, something needs to be done. It's not good for the Big East for Georgetown to be so shockingly bad.

feedback