[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Bob "Big Daddy" Wild
[Today at 08:40:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: BE Coaches’ Preseason Poll  (Read 6363 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: BE Coaches’ Preseason Poll
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2022, 09:12:36 AM »
www.theresourcenexus.com/2022-2023-big-east-college-basketball-preview/

I hope TK doesn't see their take.

May be an outside perspective, but its definitely fair to say Shaka's offseason was a snoozer; the roster probably deserves a bottom 3 pick. Let's hope Shaka shows a better job developing his talent than our last HC did. 

Looking forward to the season! 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2022, 09:24:41 AM »
May be an outside perspective, but its definitely fair to say Shaka's offseason was a snoozer; the roster probably deserves a bottom 3 pick. Let's hope Shaka shows a better job developing his talent than our last HC did. 

I agree that Coach Smart has put his chips on player development and culture.

Only thing to do now is wait and see.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2022, 09:29:08 AM »

You were pretty negative at the onset of last season, and early season.  Did last year's team exceed your expectations? 

It's quite possible Shaka is very confident in the ability of last year's group to take a big step forward, and to not disrupt the development of the younger players on the roster - he felt pretty comfortable not adding additional grad transfers.  I think we will likely be similar to last year's team, possibly even a notch better.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2022, 09:49:00 AM »
Elon

I said months ago that I thought Shaka retaining the entire roster, minus Lewis, was very impressive. At that time, I said if any of the returning guys were new incoming transfers, we would have been excited to have them. My bar is higher going into this year than it was a year ago.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2022, 09:56:53 AM »
Elon

I said months ago that I thought Shaka retaining the entire roster, minus Lewis, was very impressive. At that time, I said if any of the returning guys were new incoming transfers, we would have been excited to have them. My bar is higher going into this year than it was a year ago.

I agree Goose. That 9th place finish prediction is going to be harped on and used as motivation. I think we will see incredible effort from this team, and believe our 6-10 guys are as talented as any bench we've had in awhile.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2022, 10:15:47 AM »
I knew we could count on you to show up for this thread and bitch. Same old, same old. At least you have not-so far-wondered why we were not picked last because "I haven't seen this team perform on the floor yet" like you did last year. I nominate you for president of the Mopes. Anyone second the motion?

Wow! You really make assumptions. The poll last year was a pretty gloomy assessment of the team and this year's assessment is no different. Same old, same old. No where in my comment did I say I agreed or disagreed. Do I expect the  team to do better than what the other coaches in the league are saying, I certainly hope so; but the perception of the other coaches, not mine, is that Marquette will not be very good this season. The silver lining here is that it just may motivate the team to prove them wrong; it certainly has put a chip on Tyler's shoulders. Not even an honorable mention, wow!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 10:39:59 AM by muwarrior69 »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2022, 10:23:49 AM »
Elon

This exactly. As a sophomore, Kam comes in with similar usage at higher efficiency than Lewis had. I expect him to be a better scoring option (not necessarily high point volume) than Justin was.

Transfers like Tyler tend to bounce back in terms of efficiency and scoring, and he's become the best distributor in the league.

I expect Oso and O-Max to be better versions of what Kur and O-Max were a year ago.

In general, people are looking too much at the prolific (but not very high efficiency) names we lost and not what we brought back. If you compare this year's roster with last year's at the same point in time, this year is better.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2022, 10:27:38 AM »
Elon

Agreed.

I agree Goose. That 9th place finish prediction is going to be harped on and used as motivation. I think we will see incredible effort from this team, and believe our 6-10 guys are as talented as any bench we've had in awhile.

Agreed.

This exactly. As a sophomore, Kam comes in with similar usage at higher efficiency than Lewis had. I expect him to be a better scoring option (not necessarily high point volume) than Justin was.

Transfers like Tyler tend to bounce back in terms of efficiency and scoring, and he's become the best distributor in the league.

I expect Oso and O-Max to be better versions of what Kur and O-Max were a year ago.

In general, people are looking too much at the prolific (but not very high efficiency) names we lost and not what we brought back. If you compare this year's roster with last year's at the same point in time, this year is better.

Agreed.

I also think the experienced coach we have is extremely helpful in terms of player development.  I am not expecting a conference championship by any means, but I don't think we are sweating at all come Selection Sunday.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2022, 10:51:35 AM »
If I had to wager, I’d bet this resourcenexus guy is either a bad sports gambler or a failed day-trader.
He is part of the COLE Patrol
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2022, 11:22:36 AM »

We agree again. I've mentioned that I think anything other than an NCAAT appearance will have been a failure for this season's team (barring a series of injuries), and some thought I wasn't being fair or was being overly optimistic. I think it's very fair to expect success from a veteran group that has played together under a system, and I think Shaka and his guys will deliver it.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2022, 11:38:49 AM »

I am going to subscribe to this as it matches my thoughts/expectations. If efficiency scales with more minutes for Kam that is going to do a lot from the scoring side. Moreover, Tyler bouncing back in terms of efficiency and scoring is probably the biggest help to the team overall--if they can't sag on him and he can keep people honest with 3pt and a mid range, then the floor opens up for Oso (who in his own right is more mobile than Kur).

O-Max is my wild card. He might just be a slightly better version than last year, but I think we see him come into his own this year when he puts it together on both sides of the floor.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

panda

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2022, 12:00:47 PM »
I am going to subscribe to this as it matches my thoughts/expectations. If efficiency scales with more minutes for Kam that is going to do a lot from the scoring side. Moreover, Tyler bouncing back in terms of efficiency and scoring is probably the biggest help to the team overall--if they can't sag on him and he can keep people honest with 3pt and a mid range, then the floor opens up for Oso (who in his own right is more mobile than Kur).

O-Max is my wild card. He might just be a slightly better version than last year, but I think we see him come into his own this year when he puts it together on both sides of the floor.

A lot of Kolek's overall positive assist numbers come from the stretch of pick and roll dominance with him and Oso. Once teams figured out how to stop that, his numbers and overall offensive efficiency nosedived. He needs a big step up in his shooting to maintain those high assist numbers and keep defenses honest.

He's definitely capable of that as he was able to do that at George Mason his freshman year. Just needs to prove he can do it consistently or defenses will find it simpler to limit his success.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2022, 12:26:07 PM »
A lot of Kolek's overall positive assist numbers come from the stretch of pick and roll dominance with him and Oso. Once teams figured out how to stop that, his numbers and overall offensive efficiency nosedived. He needs a big step up in his shooting to maintain those high assist numbers and keep defenses honest.

He's definitely capable of that as he was able to do that at George Mason his freshman year. Just needs to prove he can do it consistently or defenses will find it simpler to limit his success.

That's what I was alluding to for sure. Success with shooting should lead to the PnR feasting for TK. It's a lot to ask of a player, but I think if anyone can do it, it's probably him. I also think that using a 2 ball handler system (TK+ Stevie; TK+ Sean Jones) allows TK to be a set shooter a times which can help twofold: (i) give him the confidence of seeing the ball drop early (if I remember correctly, he shot well from set shots as the season went on) and (ii) the made set shots will keep a defense honest in thinking he is a "shooter" and not being able to sag (thus allowing the PnR feasting, hopefully). In an ideal world, he also hits a few shots off the dribble to really hammer down the mindset created by number (ii).
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2022, 12:31:56 PM »
That's what I was alluding to for sure. Success with shooting should lead to the PnR feasting for TK. It's a lot to ask of a player, but I think if anyone can do it, it's probably him. I also think that using a 2 ball handler system (TK+ Stevie; TK+ Sean Jones) allows TK to be a set shooter a times which can help twofold: (i) give him the confidence of seeing the ball drop early (if I remember correctly, he shot well from set shots as the season went on) and (ii) the made set shots will keep a defense honest in thinking he is a "shooter" and not being able to sag (thus allowing the PnR feasting, hopefully). In an ideal world, he also hits a few shots off the dribble to really hammer down the mindset created by number (ii).

The two ball handler thing will definitely be big.

But another big thing is what shaka talked about at media day yesterday. Kolek not only came up to a new program and higher level but he did so in a position he hadnt played before for a team that plays an extremely high tempo.

Had him passing up shots and also rushing shots. Sure, he coulda gotten acquainted as the year went on. But I think year 2 with a offseason of working hard on things, being used to the role/system will have a big impact.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2022, 01:11:55 PM »
Elon

Our 3 "Juniors" and 4 "Sophs" have 3 seasons of eligibility left counting this season. If Shaka can keep at least 5 or 6 of those players over the '24 and '25 seasons I would expect the coach's poll would have us in the upper half of the league. What surprises me is that the coach's have such a low regard of our players compared to the rest of the league.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2022, 01:20:47 PM »
Damn, didnt know UIC was picked 11/12 in their conference though
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2022, 01:55:49 PM »
Our 3 "Juniors" and 4 "Sophs" have 3 seasons of eligibility left counting this season. If Shaka can keep at least 5 or 6 of those players over the '24 and '25 seasons I would expect the coach's poll would have us in the upper half of the league. What surprises me is that the coach's have such a low regard of our players compared to the rest of the league.
No BE coaches are MOPES
Goal is National Championship

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2022, 03:33:48 PM »
Maybes 'apples and oranges' but TCU had a yawner of an off season, picked 7 in the BIG XII and not predicted to go to a bowl. How's that working out for them?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2022, 04:07:10 PM »
Maybes 'apples and oranges' but TCU had a yawner of an off season, picked 7 in the BIG XII and not predicted to go to a bowl. How's that working out for them?

They did hire the program's first new coach in more than 20 years.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2022, 04:23:29 PM »
www.theresourcenexus.com/2022-2023-big-east-college-basketball-preview/

I hope TK doesn't see their take.

The last paragraph tells you everything you need to know about this site.

"More off seasons like this, and Shaka Smart will likely wear out his welcome at his second school pretty soon."

1) The season hasn't even started. How can they call this an off season?

2) Marquette isn't Shaka's 2nd school.
VIOLENCE!

panda

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2022, 04:28:26 PM »
The last paragraph tells you everything you need to know about this site.

"More off seasons like this, and Shaka Smart will likely wear out his welcome at his second school pretty soon."

1) The season hasn't even started. How can they call this an off season?

2) Marquette isn't Shaka's 2nd school.

He didn’t wear out his welcome at VCU. Only Texas. That would theoretically make Marquette the second school.

If it’s not the off season, what is the period called where there are no games ?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2022, 04:55:23 PM »
They did hire the program's first new coach in more than 20 years.
True but he wasn't a sexy hire that created much buzz. My overall point was boring off seasons and low expectations are not concrete evidence of a poor season.

Personally, I'm encouraged by the calm and steady state of the program. I think it helps keep the focus on the court. But if we end in last place, I'll be very disappointed and really question Shaka's ability. (I'm sure Shaka will be motivated just to keep me happy)