Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 29 years ago today...  (Read 205610 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 29 years ago today...
« Reply #700 on: October 19, 2022, 09:42:07 AM »
I've said this many times....

If they had gotten rid of the native imagery when they got rid of Willie Wampum, Marquette would still be Warriors today.  The University's well intentioned desire to stick with such imagery in a "respectful" manner is why the name went away.

And I used to be fired about it. But I stopped caring awhile ago. It's been a generation - time to move on.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #701 on: October 20, 2022, 12:40:54 AM »
Whether the university botched the name change (it did) doesn't make the name change bad.
And if it were the way the admin handled this that were the "real" issue here, nobody would be here discussing it today. The university has messed up lots of things over the past three decades. This is the only one people still obsess over.
I mean, when was the last time you read the name Assata Shakur here? Where's the "x years ago today" posts about Jodi O'Brien?

If there is on tradition MU has is that as a university we don’t have actual traditions.

At least we didn’t have to move a rock. We’ve go that going for us.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #702 on: October 20, 2022, 05:30:23 AM »
I've said this many times....

If they had gotten rid of the native imagery when they got rid of Willie Wampum, Marquette would still be Warriors today.  The University's well intentioned desire to stick with such imagery in a "respectful" manner is why the name went away.

And I used to be fired about it. But I stopped caring awhile ago. It's been a generation - time to move on.

my assumption is that MU has some pretty smart people ("experts") making decisions, yes?  if they really wanted to keep the nickname, as the majority seemed to voice, then why didn't they just change the imagery? 

i'm going to answer that one pat, for $100-why MU (ivory tower) did not want to keep the warrior nickname.  that is why this topic continues to be discussed.  the "unwashed" did NOT want the name changed while the "experts" had already made their decision. 

so the "experts" put it to a vote in a (dog & pony)show of (sheecogo style) "democracy".  i may be wrong, but despite them not even putting warriors on the ballot, i believe the write-ins-warriors won anyway.  might as well have voted in person and dipped our fingers in purple ink.  hey, sadam, putin and kim jong-unfatso have never lost an election either, eyn'a?

and that is the rest of the story
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #703 on: October 20, 2022, 07:16:04 AM »
  my assumption is that MU has some pretty smart people ("experts") making decisions, yes?  if they really wanted to keep the nickname, as the majority seemed to voice, then why didn't they just change the imagery? 

i'm going to answer that one pat, for $100-why MU (ivory tower) did not want to keep the warrior nickname.  that is why this topic continues to be discussed.  the "unwashed" did NOT want the name changed while the "experts" had already made their decision. 

so the "experts" put it to a vote in a (dog & pony)show of (sheecogo style) "democracy".  i may be wrong, but despite them not even putting warriors on the ballot, i believe the write-ins-warriors won anyway.  might as well have voted in person and dipped our fingers in purple ink.  hey, sadam, putin and kim jong-unfatso have never lost an election either, eyn'a?

and that is the rest of the story

This is such incredible work.  Yet, I can’t give it a 10 out of 10 due to lack of any ellipsis.  So, it’ll be a 9 out of 10.
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #704 on: October 20, 2022, 08:56:41 AM »

Because 30 years ago, Marquette wasn't being run by pretty smart people who wanted to keep the nickname.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #705 on: October 20, 2022, 05:03:55 PM »
What about the rumor that someone (Potawotami?) offered a large payment and some land (Valley Fields) to MU in exchange for the promise to drop the Warriors name forever?  That story keeps coming up, but is it true?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #706 on: October 20, 2022, 05:12:19 PM »
What about the rumor that someone (Potawotami?) offered a large payment and some land (Valley Fields) to MU in exchange for the promise to drop the Warriors name forever?  That story keeps coming up, but is it true?

that's always been out there and hasn't (and probably never will be) confirmed.  The more likely story, which I read in an article about mascot changes in the MULS Sports Law Review, is the Native Americans the Jesuits worked with on a reservation in South Dakota expressed their opinion that the use of "Warrior" was offensive to the NA population and that's what was the what spurred Fr. DiUlio and other MU leaders to make the change.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #707 on: October 20, 2022, 07:28:47 PM »

#donedeal

And they continue to swap properties to this day.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #708 on: October 20, 2022, 09:03:11 PM »
that's always been out there and hasn't (and probably never will be) confirmed.  The more likely story, which I read in an article about mascot changes in the MULS Sports Law Review, is the Native Americans the Jesuits worked with on a reservation in South Dakota expressed their opinion that the use of "Warrior" was offensive to the NA population and that's what was the what spurred Fr. DiUlio and other MU leaders to make the change.
MOPES
Goal is National Championship