[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Seth Davis on Wojo in The Athletic  (Read 13933 times)

mug644

• All American
Seth Davis on Wojo in The Athletic
« on: September 20, 2022, 11:11:22 AM »
A good read. Won't change anyone's mind about Wojo as a coach, and may shed some light on his humanity. Which, thanks to some deep-pocketed MU boosters, he has plenty of money to explore in a relaxed way.

https://theathletic.com/3531387/2022/09/20/steve-wojciechowski-marquette-duke-coaching/

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Seth Davis on Wojo in The Athletic
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 12:00:37 PM »
Load of BS. Fans chanting Fire Wojo down the stretch in 2020-21? In the year he was fired, fans were at ONE game and it was what, 1,800 fans? Blaming his players for not working as hard as he did as a player? Local media turned on him? Ben Steele never wrote a negative article and there was no other consistent beat reporter.

This is just whitewash trash. Ignores his record as a coach, that he wouldn't take admin recommendations to save his job, or that him deleting his Twitter happened BEFORE his contract extension. Just trying to paint someone who did a poor job in the best possible light by obfuscating and outright lying through the piece.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 12:04:23 PM »
Is he not coaching somewhere else because he's still being paid by MU...or because no one else wants him?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 12:07:17 PM »
Is he not coaching somewhere else because he's still being paid by MU...or because no one else wants him?

Sounds like he was trying hard to get back in with the Utah Jazz and Quin Snyder, but that opportunity dried up. I'm sure the old Duke ties got him his recent stint back at USA Basketball. Seems like a combination of not being in very high demand but also not being willing to lower himself. One of the rumors I heard was that he wasn't interested in a mid or low major job, but honestly, proving himself there is probably his best chance at getting back.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 12:12:17 PM »
Reads like a Players Tribune piece, not an investigative report. It seems if you write something long enough and get a photo of someone staring off into the distance, people will call a story "great" or "beautiful."

In reality, Wojo is a nice guy, not a great basketball coach. Not sure whey this story was deserved. Plenty of people who are dedicated and hardworking get laid off - with no safety net. It's always tough. Not quite as tough when you have a $9 million buyout and can spend your days hiking and doing hot yoga.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 12:24:34 PM »
Sounds like he was trying hard to get back in with the Utah Jazz and Quin Snyder, but that opportunity dried up. I'm sure the old Duke ties got him his recent stint back at USA Basketball. Seems like a combination of not being in very high demand but also not being willing to lower himself. One of the rumors I heard was that he wasn't interested in a mid or low major job, but honestly, proving himself there is probably his best chance at getting back.

He spent 15 years next to K and, rather than prove himself at a mid-major, waited for a school like Marquette that would buy into the Duke pedigree BS. Remember the "Duke North" crap?

Although it was only one moment, the Butler game where he did not know what the score was epitomizes his tenure at Marquette for me. I hated the hire from the day it was announced but was really hoping to be proven wrong.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 12:35:53 PM »
Load of BS. Fans chanting Fire Wojo down the stretch in 2020-21? In the year he was fired, fans were at ONE game and it was what, 1,800 fans? Blaming his players for not working as hard as he did as a player? Local media turned on him? Ben Steele never wrote a negative article and there was no other consistent beat reporter.

This is just whitewash trash. Ignores his record as a coach, that he wouldn't take admin recommendations to save his job, or that him deleting his Twitter happened BEFORE his contract extension. Just trying to paint someone who did a poor job in the best possible light by obfuscating and outright lying through the piece.

A little harsh, wouldn't you say? Even if what you are saying is correct it sure seems harsh. The article is a fluff piece that skews some facts favorably towards Wojo. Anyone who was present during his tenure knows that. But that doesn't mean we have to call him or Seth Davis (who makes his money writing fluff pieces by the way) out. It sounds like the cries of a jilted lover to do so. Let bygones be bygones.

Marquette took a chance and gave Wojo an opportunity to prove himself as a head coach. He was afforded resources many others simply will never have. The man tried, and I have little doubt he tried his hardest. In some aspects he was successful, but overall he failed. He was in over his head. Trying hard is not enough, and it sounds like he would agree. So, he was fired. End of story. Calling BS on some fluff story sure doesn't seem a good look in my opinion. But, then again, who am I.

I personally enjoyed the article, even knowing it is a fluff piece. Wojo is part of MU's history and it is interesting to read. And, as the original poster said, it is always good to have some appreciation for a person's humanity.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 12:48:45 PM »
A little harsh, wouldn't you say? Even if what you are saying is correct it sure seems harsh. The article is a fluff piece that skews some facts favorably towards Wojo. Anyone who was present during his tenure knows that. But that doesn't mean we have to call him or Seth Davis (who makes his money writing fluff pieces by the way) out. It sounds like the cries of a jilted lover to do so. Let bygones be bygones.

Marquette took a chance and gave Wojo an opportunity to prove himself as a head coach. He was afforded resources many others simply will never have. The man tried, and I have little doubt he tried his hardest. In some aspects he was successful, but overall he failed. He was in over his head. Trying hard is not enough, and it sounds like he would agree. So, he was fired. End of story. Calling BS on some fluff story sure doesn't seem a good look in my opinion. But, then again, who am I.

I personally enjoyed the article, even knowing it is a fluff piece. Wojo is part of MU's history and it is interesting to read. And, as the original poster said, it is always good to have some appreciation for a person's humanity.

Very well said and I agree. It's nice to read about the humanity and not get so wrapped up in numbers, stats, etc. The Wojo era was an interesting one and disappointing from a results standpoint, but I have no problem with the guy. Glad he's relaxing and enjoying a slower pace of life out west.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2022, 01:06:46 PM »
The crowds on Scoop were chanting 'Fire Wojo. '
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

panda

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2022, 01:07:45 PM »

A lot of it seems like sour grapes and inaccuracies pushed off as truths. Blaming the lack of talent that he recruited and coach k saying he worked himself too hard is plain comical.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2022, 01:09:15 PM »
A lot of it seems like sour grapes and inaccuracies pushed off as truths. Blaming the lack of talent that he recruited and coach k saying he worked himself too hard is plain comical.

Exactly.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 01:09:32 PM »
Blames his players for not putting in a 10/10 effort.

Encourages a player to play injured in an NIT game.

Player transfers out 2 years later.

(What a load of crap this article is)

Boone

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2022, 01:34:09 PM »
“load of crap” aptly describes Wojo’s alleged coaching ability. Wish we could can him again…minus buyout
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 01:36:27 PM by Boone »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2022, 01:38:48 PM »
So who cares about any of this...if he was a great coach that got screwed by fans, admin, etc. other universities would know this and scoop him up.  The fact that no one, at a level similar to MU, has wanted him says a lot more than any article or rumor.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2022, 01:39:28 PM »
I'm glad Jack & Charlie's Dad got his life straigtened out.  But after that, you don't even need to read the byline to know that was Seth Davis not Dana O'Neil or Brian Hamilton.  A masterful slurp of a Duke adjacent subject.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

muwarrior97

• All American
  • Team Whiny Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2022, 03:36:48 PM »
Very well said and I agree. It's nice to read about the humanity and not get so wrapped up in numbers, stats, etc. The Wojo era was an interesting one and disappointing from a results standpoint, but I have no problem with the guy. Glad he's relaxing and enjoying a slower pace of life out west.

Agreed, well said.  I always wished he would succeed and show he could coach, unfortunately the item that seemed lacking was his inability to coach, kind of important for someone with Title of Head Coach.

Seems like a good person, father, husband and brought a lot of high character kids into the program he just didn't succeed with results on the court.  Don't blame the Fanatical fans for the bad experience, you've got 9 MILLION reasons to relax in yoga class or in the back-country
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2022, 05:50:28 PM »
A little harsh, wouldn't you say?

No. You can tell a nice story about Wojo without calling into question the work ethic of our players, lying about our fans, and lying about local media.

The article is repeatedly dishonest and tries to alter history to make Wojo look good. Tell the true story, fine, but you shouldn't have to libel those associated with Marquette to do so.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2022, 06:09:04 PM »
No. You can tell a nice story about Wojo without calling into question the work ethic of our players, lying about our fans, and lying about local media.

The article is repeatedly dishonest and tries to alter history to make Wojo look good. Tell the true story, fine, but you shouldn't have to libel those associated with Marquette to do so.

Libel is key. That’s what it is. Really pathetic “journalism”. I’ve got zero I’ll will toward Wojo and appreciate his time here tbh. However, the blatant lies in the article are sickening.

#FakeNews #Lies #ThePathletic
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2022, 06:23:12 PM »
It sounds like a ridiculous, untruthful, and inexcusable article.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2022, 06:40:13 PM »

Libel is key. That’s what it is. Really pathetic “journalism”. I’ve got zero I’ll will toward Wojo and appreciate his time here tbh. However, the blatant lies in the article are sickening.

Libel against…who, exactly?

You’re overreacting.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2022, 06:45:17 PM »

ill not I'll
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2022, 06:46:29 PM »
wojo might have practiced tough and played tough as a player, but none of that translated to his coaching.  how often did you see him show any emotion on the sidelines?  if he was so disappointed in his players not giving 110%, he should have been riding their a$$es from the sidelines.  he was afraid of doing anything to hurt joey's feelings.  hell, we saw what happened when markus tried to tell joey to pick it up a little.  wojo should have benched his ass right there.  give him the izzo treatment-coach like ya got a pair.  did he ever go out on a limb for his players, get T'd up to show support during some tough times?

i wanted him to succeed so bad, but he just ain't got coaching in his dna
don't...don't don't don't don't

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2022, 06:52:43 PM »
how often did you see him show any emotion on the sidelines? 
Wtf?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2022, 06:57:12 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2022, 07:02:32 PM »
Wtf?

Haha if anything, you could say he showed a little too much. I thought Wojo was pretty tightly wound on the sidelines and it translated to the players. The wild punches when we gave up a basket on big possessions (which was frequent) is one of my lasting images of Wojo.

feedback