[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 85130 times)

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
Re: 2024 College Football Thread
« Reply #2100 on: January 08, 2024, 09:57:57 PM »
A couple massive drops and a few poorly timed penalties doomed Washington tonight.
another poorly timed penalty kills a drive

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2101 on: January 08, 2024, 10:11:11 PM »
Killed? Washington played an awful lot of close games this season against teams a whole lot worse than Michigan.

I ‘ll be rooting for Washington but if anybody gets killed in this game I suspect it’ll be them.

As I feared. Ass kicking.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2102 on: January 08, 2024, 10:11:54 PM »
A couple massive drops and a few poorly timed penalties doomed Washington tonight.

Penix was not good. Missed at least a couple of TDs.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2103 on: January 08, 2024, 10:13:23 PM »
Excellent win for The Wolverines .

15-0
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2104 on: January 08, 2024, 10:17:43 PM »
As I feared. Ass kicking.

Because Michigan dominated in the trenches as they had to

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2105 on: January 08, 2024, 10:19:19 PM »
Connor Stallions gets a ring, right?

Does Georgia get a shot now?

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2106 on: January 08, 2024, 10:50:58 PM »
Connor Stallions gets a ring, right?

Does Georgia get a shot now?

They had their shot and lost in the quarter finals.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2107 on: January 08, 2024, 10:56:45 PM »
They had their shot and lost in the quarter finals.

Same with FSU.

Wait nevermind.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2108 on: January 08, 2024, 11:27:20 PM »
In his first 6 seasons at Michigan, Harbaugh was 49-22. That looks OK, but it's actually pretty meh at Michigan.

During those seasons, he went 0-5 against Ohio State (no game in shortened 2020 Covid season), with 4 of the losses being massacres. He also went 1-4 in bowl games, including zero CFP wins.

Year after year, Michigan would start great, only to crash and burn at the end.

So I guess you gotta give credit to Michigan brass for sticking with Harbaugh, because there are several blueblood football schools that probably woulda shown him the door before he ever got to win this title.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2109 on: January 09, 2024, 07:56:15 AM »
In his first 6 seasons at Michigan, Harbaugh was 49-22. That looks OK, but it's actually pretty meh at Michigan.

During those seasons, he went 0-5 against Ohio State (no game in shortened 2020 Covid season), with 4 of the losses being massacres. He also went 1-4 in bowl games, including zero CFP wins.

Year after year, Michigan would start great, only to crash and burn at the end.

So I guess you gotta give credit to Michigan brass for sticking with Harbaugh, because there are several blueblood football schools that probably woulda shown him the door before he ever got to win this title.

For starters I think you should take out the 3-6 COVID season because of how many players couldn’t play or practice because of positive tests and others who are now stars in the NFL who decided not to play because they didn’t want to risk their careers on games with depleted rosters and nobody in the stands. I also don’t put much weight on bowl games (except playoff games) where star players often sit out and teams can have varying degrees of motivation for a game played 6 weeks after their last regular season game.

Then if you take into account how low the program had sunk during the 7 year Rodriguez-Hoke years, you realize that the team Harbaugh took over in 2015 was in need of a major rebuild. In college football before the transfer portal that  took more than a couple of years. So, the record from 2015-2019 doesn’t look bad at all. They did well in 15 and 16 with some of the veterans Hoke recruited and players Harbaugh recruited. But then they ran into a big gap in veterans on the roster because of poor recruiting years and defections when it became apparent Hoke wouldn’t be around long.

The big blemish was the Ohio State games which, more than anything, were a reflection of the massive talent advantage they had over everyone in the conference. OSU has only lost something like 10 conference games in the last 12 seasons, including the 3 to Michigan the last 3 years. If Michigan had traded places with Wisconsin in the divisions, and didn’t have to play OSU every year, they likely would have had a couple of conference title game appearances and Wisconsin would have had none.

Harbaugh took a lot of criticism, largely from media haters and fans with unrealistic expectations, but I think  most people realized that there wasn’t anyone more likely to lift Michigan back to being competitive with OSU. It took a return to the physical style of play that made Harbaugh successful at Stanford to make it happen.

With that mission accomplished Harbaugh can go back to the NFL and get out from under the pettiness of the NCAA.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 07:59:57 AM by wisblue »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2110 on: January 09, 2024, 08:04:12 AM »
Remember that after 2020 Harbaugh had to take a cut to his base salary and signed an incentive-laden extension. Also he fired his defensive coordinator and pretty much demoted his offensive coordinator.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2111 on: January 09, 2024, 08:11:56 AM »
For starters I think you should take out the 3-6 COVID season because of how many players couldn’t play or practice because of positive tests and others who are now stars in the NFL who decided not to play because they didn’t want to risk their careers on games with depleted rosters and nobody in the stands. I also don’t put much weight on bowl games (except playoff games) where star players often sit out and teams can have varying degrees of motivation for a game played 6 weeks after their last regular season game.

Then if you take into account how low the program had sunk during the 7 year Rodriguez-Hoke years, you realize that the team Harbaugh took over in 2015 was in need of a major rebuild. In college football before the transfer portal that  took more than a couple of years. So, the record from 2015-2019 doesn’t look bad at all. They did well in 15 and 16 with some of the veterans Hoke recruited and players Harbaugh recruited. But then they ran into a big gap in veterans on the roster because of poor recruiting years and defections when it became apparent Hoke wouldn’t be around long.

The big blemish was the Ohio State games which, more than anything, were a reflection of the massive talent advantage they had over everyone in the conference. OSU has only lost something like 10 conference games in the last 12 seasons, including the 3 to Michigan the last 3 years. If Michigan had traded places with Wisconsin in the divisions, and didn’t have to play OSU every year, they likely would have had a couple of conference title game appearances and Wisconsin would have had none.

Harbaugh took a lot of criticism, largely from media haters and fans with unrealistic expectations, but I think  most people realized that there wasn’t anyone more likely to lift Michigan back to being competitive with OSU. It took a return to the physical style of play that made Harbaugh successful at Stanford to make it happen.

With that mission accomplished Harbaugh can go back to the NFL and get out from under the pettiness of the NCAA.

The team he inherited had a lot of good players except at QB.  They were just terribly coached under Brady Hoke’s staff.  The ‘15 and ‘16 teams put a lot of kids into the NFL.

His biggest problem was QB during that stretch.  They missed on their evaluations on John O’Korn (transfer) and Brandon Peters, a 4* who was never that good.  They thought they fixed it with Shea Patterson but he preferred girls and parties.  Dylan McCaffrey (of that family) was a bust, too.  Lot of kids got drafted from those teams but the QB held them back.

Like you said, making wholesale staff changes post-covid was the other difference.  He hired younger, more innovative guys. 

I don’t see a reason not to try the NFL if that’s still a thing that he wants. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2112 on: January 09, 2024, 08:15:17 AM »
Remember that after 2020 Harbaugh had to take a cut to his base salary and signed an incentive-laden extension. Also he fired his defensive coordinator and pretty much demoted his offensive coordinator.

Yeah, the staff changes were the difference, imo.  Sherrone Moore is pretty conservative as a play caller but he can be.  The DC is a star in the making.  They have talent but I thought his game plans during the playoffs were incredible.  Completely flummoxed Penix last night and managed to do what is necessary against good QBs, hit them and hit them a lot

• All American
« Reply #2113 on: January 09, 2024, 08:16:32 AM »
He's 60. If he ever wants to get back in the NFL, now maybe the last time. I would think the Chargers' opening would look quite attractive. Although the Raiders will probably throw more money at him.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2114 on: January 09, 2024, 08:18:37 AM »
He's 60. If he ever wants to get back in the NFL, now maybe the last time. I would think the Chargers' opening would look quite attractive. Although the Raiders will probably throw more money at him.

I do not want to see him in Chicago.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2115 on: January 09, 2024, 09:44:22 AM »
The team he inherited had a lot of good players except at QB.  They were just terribly coached under Brady Hoke’s staff.  The ‘15 and ‘16 teams put a lot of kids into the NFL.

His biggest problem was QB during that stretch.  They missed on their evaluations on John O’Korn (transfer) and Brandon Peters, a 4* who was never that good.  They thought they fixed it with Shea Patterson but he preferred girls and parties.  Dylan McCaffrey (of that family) was a bust, too.  Lot of kids got drafted from those teams but the QB held them back.

Like you said, making wholesale staff changes post-covid was the other difference.  He hired younger, more innovative guys. 

I don’t see a reason not to try the NFL if that’s still a thing that he wants.

Absolutely true about the talented players on the 15 and 16 teams and how they improved with better coaching. But, as I said, there were major holes in the two classes behind that because of uncertainty over Hoke’s status and the fact that recruiting in 2015 was largely over before Harbaugh was hired in early January. So, by 2017 they were very thin in the upper classes and  took a step back to 5-4 in the conference.

I agree about the QB issues holding them back in 17-19. It was always assumed that Harbaugh would bring in and develop good QBs and it didn’t happen, at least until McCarthy.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2116 on: January 09, 2024, 09:52:59 AM »
Absolutely true about the talented players on the 15 and 16 teams and how they improved with better coaching. But, as I said, there were major holes in the two classes behind that because of uncertainty over Hoke’s status and the fact that recruiting in 2015 was largely over before Harbaugh was hired in early January. So, by 2017 they were very thin in the upper classes and  took a step back to 5-4 in the conference.

I agree about the QB issues holding them back in 17-19. It was always assumed that Harbaugh would bring in and develop good QBs and it didn’t happen, at least until McCarthy.

The ‘17 team probably has better results if they have Speight for the whole year.  That offense cratered when he got hurt

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2117 on: January 09, 2024, 10:22:51 AM »
Yeah, the staff changes were the difference, imo.  Sherrone Moore is pretty conservative as a play caller but he can be.  The DC is a star in the making.  They have talent but I thought his game plans during the playoffs were incredible.  Completely flummoxed Penix last night and managed to do what is necessary against good QBs, hit them and hit them a lot

Interesting that Minter's big experience before going back to the major college ranks and where he made his leap...was with John Harbaugh in Baltimore.

Love him or hate him, Harbaugh's track record as a coach is pretty incredible, at all levels.  Won big at USD which is non-scholarship and then at one of the harder jobs in the country at Stanford (at a time when the Pac-10 was pretty tough).  And then, regardless of how it ended, 3 straight NFC Championship games and a SB appearance in 4 years in San Fran is impressive.  Then as stated, the rebuild and revitalization in Ann Arbor has been pretty amazing, especially since its not like it coincided with a downturn or low period for OSU.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2118 on: January 09, 2024, 11:54:31 AM »
Interesting that Minter's big experience before going back to the major college ranks and where he made his leap...was with John Harbaugh in Baltimore.

Minter was hired as DC in 2022 to replace Mike MacDonald, who had been a Ravens position coach and came to Michigan as DC in 2021 on John Harbaugh’s recommendation. John brought MacDonald back to the Ravens in 2022 to be his DC and Michigan hired Minter from Vanderbilt to be his replacement.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2119 on: January 10, 2024, 04:14:29 PM »
Saban retiring.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 04:19:59 PM by jesmu84 »

• All American
« Reply #2120 on: January 10, 2024, 04:19:12 PM »
Saban out.

To clarify, he's retiring.

Absolutely the greatest college football coach of all time. And one who I really have grown to enjoy - he is weirdly intense and quirky, and he has kinda leaned into it in a funny way.

It's going to be interesting to see what's next. If Dabo hadn't fallen off like he has the last few years, I would have thought he would be a shoo-in.

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #2121 on: January 10, 2024, 04:28:46 PM »
Dabo come on down

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2122 on: January 10, 2024, 04:31:46 PM »
RIP Bama dynasty

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2123 on: January 10, 2024, 04:36:34 PM »
Dabo come on down

Nah, that ship has sailed.
My money says Lane Kiffin (there's a reason he didn't take the Auburn gig last year) or Dan Lanning (former Bama assistant).

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #2124 on: January 10, 2024, 04:38:28 PM »
Wonder if they take a crack at the Washington coach