[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 85287 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2024 College Football Thread
« Reply #2050 on: January 03, 2024, 08:59:50 AM »
I hadn't seen much Washington football until Monday night. Penix has to be one of the most accurate deep-ball throwers in college history. Almost every one he attempted was delivered right on time and landed almost exactly where it had to. Time after time. Impressive.

Great receivers, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2051 on: January 03, 2024, 01:13:59 PM »
I think this year's Michigan is better than last year's but it could be interesting since last year TCU's high powered offense beat Michigan's physical advantage.

Though that took two pick sixes, a fumble at the goal line (after a bizarre reversal of a TD) and various other blunders by Michigan, and they still scored 45 points.

With those mistakes Michigan fell behind 21-3 early and got away from their usual game trying to come back.

If Michigan makes that many major mistakes again they will get routed.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 01:17:03 PM by wisblue »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2052 on: January 03, 2024, 01:25:09 PM »
If Michigan doesn’t control the LOS they’re going to get killed.

Killed? Washington played an awful lot of close games this season against teams a whole lot worse than Michigan.

I ‘ll be rooting for Washington but if anybody gets killed in this game I suspect it’ll be them.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2053 on: January 03, 2024, 01:30:17 PM »
Killed? Washington played an awful lot of close games this season against teams a whole lot worse than Michigan.

I ‘ll be rooting for Washington but if anybody gets killed in this game I suspect it’ll be them.

Washington had a tougher schedule than Michigan by far.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2054 on: January 03, 2024, 01:57:28 PM »

I say that because Michigan’s strength is strength, not finesse. They will need to control the line of scrimmage to allow them to run the ball and control the clock and put enough pressure on Penix to keep him from going wild.

Washington has a big advantage in big play potential and Michigan needs to win in  the trenches to overcome that advantage.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2055 on: January 03, 2024, 04:27:14 PM »
Alabama's center has entered the transfer portal.
Guess he's not the most popular guy around campus.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2056 on: January 03, 2024, 04:29:58 PM »

But he is the center of attention.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2057 on: January 03, 2024, 04:33:25 PM »
Seems like a snap decision.

Seriously, what is wrong with people?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2058 on: January 03, 2024, 04:48:17 PM »

You have to ask?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2059 on: January 03, 2024, 04:49:59 PM »

To be clear, I'm not aware of anything bad happening to this kid. I'm just guessing he wants out because how can you come back after that?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2060 on: January 03, 2024, 05:26:29 PM »
To be clear, I'm not aware of anything bad happening to this kid. I'm just guessing he wants out because how can you come back after that?

You have to ask?

WOOSH

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2061 on: January 04, 2024, 09:20:01 AM »
I heard mention of a conference commissioner floating the idea that if a player skips a bowl game they should require repayment of the year's scholarship costs and NIL.

I could maybe see pro-rating the costs but he played all year minus 1 meaningless game that the school got paid the same for regardless.

• All American
« Reply #2062 on: January 04, 2024, 09:30:27 AM »
I heard mention of a conference commissioner floating the idea that if a player skips a bowl game they should require repayment of the year's scholarship costs and NIL.

I could maybe see pro-rating the costs but he played all year minus 1 meaningless game that the school got paid the same for regardless.

But under the rules of the NCAA, a school can seek compensation of a player doesn't finish the season - including a bowl game. However the minute a school tries to do that, it would be used against them on the recruiting trail. Coaches know that its best just to wish players well and not worry about a bowl game.

Same with NIL, but that would be harder since the schools shouldn't (wink, wink) have any say in those funds.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2063 on: January 04, 2024, 09:42:07 AM »

I see a lot of "legitimate" injuries similar to those that keep NBA players out of games ("cough, cough, load management").

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2064 on: January 04, 2024, 09:55:45 AM »
But under the rules of the NCAA, a school can seek compensation of a player doesn't finish the season - including a bowl game. However the minute a school tries to do that, it would be used against them on the recruiting trail. Coaches know that its best just to wish players well and not worry about a bowl game.

Same with NIL, but that would be harder since the schools shouldn't (wink, wink) have any say in those funds.

This.

Little or no chance of "punishment" for missing exhibition bowl games. Nor should there be.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2065 on: January 04, 2024, 09:56:43 AM »
Why punish a player for sitting out a scrimmage?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2066 on: January 04, 2024, 10:06:00 AM »
Why punish a player for sitting out a scrimmage?

What makes a bowl game a scrimmage and a mid-November game between Rutgers and Indiana or Vandy and South Carolina not a scrimmage?

• All American
« Reply #2067 on: January 04, 2024, 10:08:11 AM »
Scrimmage is a exaggeration, but a mid-November game is part of the regular season schedule. A bowl game is "extra" and usually played after the semester ends.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2068 on: January 04, 2024, 10:18:40 AM »
Scrimmage is a exaggeration, but a mid-November game is part of the regular season schedule. A bowl game is "extra" and usually played after the semester ends.

I understand that. I imagine tower called it a scrimmage to label it as without meaning/value. Which is fair enough, if that's what he believes.
But if bowl games are meaningless scrimmages, so are games between two teams without playoff chances. What's the point of Cal beating Arizona State in November? Earning an invite to a scrimmage?

I'm not opposed to opt-outs. Kids turning pro should do what's in their best interests. I just don't get the bowl game hate.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2069 on: January 04, 2024, 11:51:39 AM »
I understand that. I imagine tower called it a scrimmage to label it as without meaning/value. Which is fair enough, if that's what he believes.
But if bowl games are meaningless scrimmages, so are games between two teams without playoff chances. What's the point of Cal beating Arizona State in November? Earning an invite to a scrimmage?

I'm not opposed to opt-outs. Kids turning pro should do what's in their best interests. I just don't get the bowl game hate.
The CFP and especially it's expansion next year magnifies the insignificance of bowl games. Plus, the lack of a tie into specific conferences, like the Rose Bowl with P12 & B10, takes away from the "bragging rights" aspect.

Whatever bowl LSU and Wisconsin just played had barely anyone in the stands. Take away gambling and the TV numbers would be awful too.  Those are two very strongly supported programs.

• All American
« Reply #2070 on: January 04, 2024, 12:00:02 PM »
The CFP and especially it's expansion next year magnifies the insignificance of bowl games. Plus, the lack of a tie into specific conferences, like the Rose Bowl with P12 & B10, takes away from the "bragging rights" aspect.

Whatever bowl LSU and Wisconsin just played had barely anyone in the stands. Take away gambling and the TV numbers would be awful too.  Those are two very strongly supported programs.

The bowl games draw more eyeballs than anything else they decide to put on in their place. However I do agree with your larger point. I think the CFP has made everything else look more like a exhibition, and the expansion is going to further that mindset.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2071 on: January 04, 2024, 12:41:52 PM »
Want the kids to play in the meaningless bowl games?  You better be paying them.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2072 on: January 04, 2024, 03:09:45 PM »
Want the kids to play in the meaningless bowl games?  You better be paying them.

My favorite story from bowl games is the local journalist writing “bowl practices are very important for next year” when your team you cover is bringing in a dozen new guys from the portal who can’t practice, start guys graduating or play 3-4 stringers who will get passed by the new portal guys
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2073 on: January 04, 2024, 11:32:28 PM »
What makes a bowl game a scrimmage and a mid-November game between Rutgers and Indiana or Vandy and South Carolina not a scrimmage?

Youre starting to get it

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2074 on: January 05, 2024, 01:21:32 PM »
Exactly, for the majority of teams, every game after their first loss is now rendered an exhibition. I guess with the 12 team playoff, it expands now to every game after a team's second loss is essentially an exhibition. 

feedback