[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 85283 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: 2023 College Football Thread
« Reply #1950 on: December 30, 2023, 10:16:44 PM »
Well, I'll admit to not watching or caring much about college football but my guess is they would have been rolled no matter who decided to play in the playoff.

Of course that would be the most likely situation. But that shouldn’t matter. They scheduled a projected top 3 SEC team (more than almost any college football team does) in the non-con and won every game they played. What more can they do? 2 teams who didn’t win every game got in above them.

Imagine telling George Mason, “We love Cinderella stories and your run has been awesome, but you’ve made it too far and now we want the blue bloods in the Final Four. So even though you won those previous games and deserve to be where you are, we think Duke is one of the 4 best teams and you aren’t so, well, you’re going to play in the NIT semifinals instead.”
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #1951 on: December 30, 2023, 10:19:56 PM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1952 on: December 30, 2023, 10:22:26 PM »
Of course that would be the most likely situation. But that shouldn’t matter. They scheduled a projected top 3 SEC team (more than almost any college football team does) in the non-con and won every game they played. What more can they do? 2 teams who didn’t win every game got in above them.

Imagine telling George Mason, “We love Cinderella stories and your run has been awesome, but you’ve made it too far and now we want the blue bloods in the Final Four. So even though you won those previous games and deserve to be where you are, we think Duke is one of the 4 best teams and you aren’t so, well, you’re going to play in the NIT semifinals instead.”

Who cares. Would rather watch Bama v Michigan anyway.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1953 on: December 30, 2023, 10:26:26 PM »

Is FSU one of the four best teams?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1954 on: December 30, 2023, 10:30:13 PM »

They were 1 of the 3 P5 teams with a 0 in their loss column.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1955 on: December 30, 2023, 10:34:15 PM »

I'll take that as a "no."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1956 on: December 30, 2023, 10:45:06 PM »
I'll take that as a "no."

Are we sure Washington or Michigan are? Or Texas or Bama? Are we sure Georgia or Ohio State aren’t?

Seems like we should just go with who earned it by the results on the field over the course of the season. Not some subjectively saying these are your 4 best teams.

Otherwise just have the 4 teams with the most 5 star or top 300 recruits on their rosters play double home and homes with each other and let everyone else enjoy watching.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1957 on: December 30, 2023, 11:03:54 PM »
Are we sure Washington or Michigan are? Or Texas or Bama? Are we sure Georgia or Ohio State aren’t?

Seems like we should just go with who earned it by the results on the field over the course of the season. Not some subjectively saying these are your 4 best teams.

Otherwise just have the 4 teams with the most 5 star or top 300 recruits on their rosters play double home and homes with each other and let everyone else enjoy watching.

So, Libery should be in the playoff? 13-0, after all

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1958 on: December 30, 2023, 11:12:17 PM »
So, Libery should be in the playoff? 13-0, after all

Nobody needs this explained how it’s completely different, nor does it remotely represent the essence of Wades arguments. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1959 on: December 30, 2023, 11:17:30 PM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1960 on: December 30, 2023, 11:18:16 PM »

This post encompasses why I have around zero interest in college football.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1961 on: December 30, 2023, 11:35:20 PM »

No. But Georgia would be favored over all four of the playoff teams. So if we’re going to go best four, then go best four. Don’t half ass it and penalize one team.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1962 on: December 31, 2023, 07:20:22 AM »

I also think we should do that

But that's not the committee's written mandate

• All American
« Reply #1963 on: December 31, 2023, 07:34:37 AM »
I think they did go with the four best teams who earned it over the course of the season. Florida State went undefeated sure, but their schedule was trash. I think one loss Texas and Alabama teams had a more impressive season. Not to mention that Washington and Michigan had more impressive schedules as well.

And this isn't really fair to FSU who usually schedules well.  But Florida has been bad, LSU wasn't as good as advertised, and Clemson and the rest of the ACC was mediocre. Losing their quarterback gave the committee a reason to exclude them sure, but I'm not sure they would have gotten the nod anyway.

Bring on the 12-team playoff. It will solve these problems.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1964 on: December 31, 2023, 07:59:39 AM »
I think they did go with the four best teams who earned it over the course of the season. Florida State went undefeated sure, but their schedule was trash. I think one loss Texas and Alabama teams had a more impressive season. Not to mention that Washington and Michigan had more impressive schedules as well.

And this isn't really fair to FSU who usually schedules well.  But Florida has been bad, LSU wasn't as good as advertised, and Clemson and the rest of the ACC was mediocre. Losing their quarterback gave the committee a reason to exclude them sure, but I'm not sure they would have gotten the nod anyway.

Bring on the 12-team playoff. It will solve these problems.

Was Michigan’s schedule impressive?  Penn State crapped themselves against teams with equal or better talent.  Ohio State is a very good team but is beating them that at home that much better?

I don’t know.  Undefeated is undefeated.  If Travis is healthy, fsu is clearly one of the top-4.  He isn’t, so Alabama making it isn’t a big problem for me but we can nitpick everyone’s schedule and how they looked playing it.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1965 on: December 31, 2023, 08:10:37 AM »
Was Georgia?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1966 on: December 31, 2023, 09:18:44 AM »
The committee's criteria literally states that it should consider injury reports and try to project outcomes.

Does the committee criteria literally state that earlier season games don’t count if you are Alabama?

Does the committee criteria state that later only later season games matter unless you are Alabama needing a hail mary against a below .500 team?

This is like the scene from “A Few Good Men”’ when Barnes is asked to flip to the page that reveals the location of the mess hall.

• All American
« Reply #1967 on: December 31, 2023, 09:23:11 AM »
Does the committee criteria literally state that earlier season games don’t count if you are Alabama?

Does the committee criteria state that later only later season games matter unless you are Alabama needing a hail mary against a below .500 team?

This is like the scene from “A Few Good Men”’ when Barnes is asked to flip to the page that reveals the location of the mess hall.

No and no. But what is your point? Alabama had the sixth hardest schedule in the country including victories over Georgia and Ole Miss.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1968 on: December 31, 2023, 09:39:51 AM »
Was Georgia?

Probably. They had a far better case for inclusion than FSU.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1969 on: December 31, 2023, 09:42:15 AM »

If I understand your outrage correctly, you're very mad that the playoff committee faithfully followed the criteria that's been in place for a decade.
You should take it up with them.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1970 on: December 31, 2023, 09:45:57 AM »
If I understand your outrage correctly, you're very mad that the playoff committee faithfully followed the criteria that's been in place for a decade.
You should take it up with them.

???

I am not mad and I have no outrage. My interest level in the topic is calm, matter of fact, and, low.

The point is changing non-written criteria is used all the time. Criteria is used inconsistently all the time.

Lawyers are way too concerned about precedent.

If a rule is good, keep or add it. If it’s not change or abolish it.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1971 on: December 31, 2023, 09:52:10 AM »
Was Michigan’s schedule impressive?  Penn State crapped themselves against teams with equal or better talent.  Ohio State is a very good team but is beating them that at home that much better?

Michigan's schedule being awful (for CFP standards) has been an ongoing story in college football for 2 years. They were exposed by TCU last year and I wouldn't be surprised if they do again this year.

Sultan, Michigan has been given credit for how they win not who they have beat.

• All American
« Reply #1972 on: December 31, 2023, 10:06:35 AM »
Michigan's schedule being awful (for CFP standards) has been an ongoing story in college football for 2 years. They were exposed by TCU last year and I wouldn't be surprised if they do again this year.

Sultan, Michigan has been given credit for how they win not who they have beat.

They beat two teams (OSU and PSU) better than anyone FSU beat.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1973 on: December 31, 2023, 10:27:32 AM »

They beat two teams (OSU and PSU) better than anyone FSU beat.
Perhaps (I'd say LSU > PSU). I have zero problem with Michigan being in the CFP especially over FSU, but I don't think Michigan's schedule is a good point for the argument. 

SOS: Michigan - 44; FSU - 34
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 10:32:41 AM by WhiteTrash »

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1974 on: December 31, 2023, 06:36:20 PM »
So what, they played a crap schedule and missing their star QB.  They deserve what they got.

Quote from: wadesworld blink=topic=63529.msg1603449#msg1603449 date=1703997013

feedback