[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 85107 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: 2023 College Football Thread
« Reply #1300 on: October 14, 2023, 07:20:37 PM »
Iowa's QB  TOTALS  over the last 3 games. 23/62 for 262 yards. 3 Wins

They played 3 chumps.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1301 on: October 14, 2023, 07:24:53 PM »
They played 3 chumps.

The loss by Wisconsin hurts Marquette’s cause
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1302 on: October 14, 2023, 08:10:37 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1303 on: October 14, 2023, 08:37:20 PM »
Iowa's QB  TOTALS  over the last 3 games. 23/62 for 262 yards. 3 Wins

At one point today I believe they had 6 yards in 3 drives….6 yards TOTAL

ND up 24-6 at halftime.  2 of their 3 TD drives were under 15 yards (2 yards and 12 yards). They aren’t dominating but are converting mistakes.  USC can easily make it a game if Williams stops playing like an Irish Catholic mobster in Cicero is holding his family at gunpoint

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1304 on: October 14, 2023, 09:28:47 PM »
Caleb Williams has been mediocre 2 weeks in a row. And USC doesn’t play defense. See ya!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1305 on: October 14, 2023, 09:32:19 PM »
He throws sidearm off his back foot as a default.   Combining Mahomes and Stafford when he doesn't need to.   He certainly looks the part, though.

Tough to be a world beater when the rush is always in your face.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 09:35:09 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1306 on: October 14, 2023, 09:36:24 PM »
This big win could propel ND all the way to the Beef O’Brady Bowl!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1307 on: October 14, 2023, 09:37:36 PM »
Like most, I like Caleb a lot, but I’m concerned the empty calories style of Lincoln Riley is getting to him.

It’s interesting flipping back and forth with Maye playing at the same time. I think it’s going to be a lot closer than people think as to who goes first overall. That’s not a jab at Caleb, I think he just takes too many hits, and that’s going to get worse at the next level.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1308 on: October 14, 2023, 09:46:53 PM »
Lincoln Riley is at a crossroads. He needs to drop his friend and get a real defensive coordinator in there. Otherwise the B10 is gonna kill him.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1309 on: October 14, 2023, 10:01:20 PM »
Like most, I like Caleb a lot, but I’m concerned the empty calories style of Lincoln Riley is getting to him.

It’s interesting flipping back and forth with Maye playing at the same time. I think it’s going to be a lot closer than people think as to who goes first overall. That’s not a jab at Caleb, I think he just takes too many hits, and that’s going to get worse at the next level.

He’s really good, but I can’t remember an elite top QB prospect (that wasn’t viewed as a project of sorts) who left me saying “what the hell was that” as much as him.  He makes some incredible throws and extends plays with his eyes making reads extremely well, but he also has had a surprisingly high number of shocking dumb throws and decisions. 

I can’t believe Lincoln Riley is still only 40.  As almost as much as I can’t believe Alex Grinch continues to make a career out of making so little out of elite talent at his 3rd blue blood level program

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1310 on: October 15, 2023, 07:32:36 AM »
Lincoln Riley is at a crossroads. He needs to drop his friend and get a real defensive coordinator in there. Otherwise the B10 is gonna kill him.

I think it’s possible he never coaches a game in the Big Ten

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1311 on: October 15, 2023, 08:10:45 AM »
I think it’s possible he never coaches a game in the Big Ten
I'm intrigued. Do tell.

• All American
« Reply #1312 on: October 15, 2023, 08:18:06 AM »
I'm sure Rico is thinking that Riley may either be fired or might look elsewhere because there are possibly 2-3 more losses on the schedule with Utah, Washington, Oregon and UCLA left to go.

But there is a lot of time and money left on that contract.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1313 on: October 15, 2023, 08:21:04 AM »

Even with a very good game yesterday, Maye is 31st in QBR, 12 TDs, 4 INTs. Not setting the world on fire against mediocre competition.

BUT he comes from the same school as Mitch Trubisky, so that helps.  ;)

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1314 on: October 15, 2023, 08:24:47 AM »
I'm sure Rico is thinking that Riley may either be fired or might look elsewhere because there are possibly 2-3 more losses on the schedule with Utah, Washington, Oregon and UCLA left to go.

I guess anything is possible but that seems like a dire reaction. Although, I saw some Bucky fans post yesterday that they have seen enough of Fickell and are ready to move on.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 08:46:19 AM by WhiteTrash »

• All American
« Reply #1315 on: October 15, 2023, 08:27:24 AM »
I guess anything is possible but that seems like a dire reaction. Although, I saw some Bucky fans post yesterday that they have seen enough of Fickle and are ready to move on.  ::)

Fickell doesn't have what he needs to run that offense. I knew they were going to be in for a longer rebuild when they brought in that OC. I'm sure the AD is on the same page.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1316 on: October 15, 2023, 08:33:16 AM »

I think it’s possible he’d look at the NFL.  His name has been mentioned there before.  His defenses are a concern but if he came aboard with an established DC, I think a lot of teams would be intrigued

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1317 on: October 15, 2023, 08:35:51 AM »

Fickell doesn't have what he needs to run that offense. I knew they were going to be in for a longer rebuild when they brought in that OC. I'm sure the AD is on the same page.

Bold prediction:  they never have the pieces to run that offense.  High schools in Wisconsin don’t run that kind of offense generally and finding linemen from the state, a staple of the last 30 years, becomes harder to fit the scheme.  Guys need to be nimble, quicker and more agile in this offense than simply maulers.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1318 on: October 15, 2023, 08:52:07 AM »
Bold prediction:  they never have the pieces to run that offense.  High schools in Wisconsin don’t run that kind of offense generally and finding linemen from the state, a staple of the last 30 years, becomes harder to fit the scheme.  Guys need to be nimble, quicker and more agile in this offense than simply maulers.
Very bold. I like it.

The thought Fickell could have a Sonny Dykes type effect on Wisconsin was fanciful (1st year Championship game appearance). 1. Dykes is a better coach and 2. even schools like TCU get better athletes than most BIG schools (see TCU v Michigan).

That said, I like Fickell and I think he will do very well. Maybe not CFP great but very good.

• All American
« Reply #1319 on: October 15, 2023, 08:55:56 AM »

He’s not going to limit his recruiting to Wisconsin.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1320 on: October 15, 2023, 08:56:23 AM »
Very bold. I like it.

The thought Fickell could have a Sonny Dykes type effect on Wisconsin was fanciful (1st year Championship game appearance). 1. Dykes is a better coach and 2. even schools like TCU get better athletes than most BIG schools (see TCU v Michigan).

That said, I like Fickell and I think he will do very well. Maybe not CFP great but very good.

He was 2-9 against top 30 teams at Cincinnati.  Part of the fanbase and media don’t like he’s not a Wisconsin guy.  If he doesn’t have a big season next year, things will get very interesting

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1321 on: October 15, 2023, 08:57:36 AM »

He’s not going to limit his recruiting to Wisconsin.

I know that.  What made Wisconsin, Wisconsin football was mauling opponents.  Recruiting elite athletes versus SEC schools, Ohio State and the like?  I’ll believe it when I see it

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1322 on: October 15, 2023, 10:49:32 AM »
Badgers established Nebraska style of recruiting system when Barry Alvarez ( who was a Nebraska player) came on board . Fits the core recruiting well. Get in state lineman walk ons , give the best a scholarship when earned . Allows the school to save more scholarship for skills players from major metros. That is why Badgers had non stop flow of great running backs and linebackers

That formula worked in its day. Now with NIL it may need to be updated but not wholesale changed .
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 12:27:36 PM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1323 on: October 15, 2023, 11:05:55 AM »
Badgers established Nebraska offense system when Barry Alvarez ( who was a Nebraska assistant) came on board . Fits the core recruiting well. Get in state lineman walk ons , give the best a scholarship when earned . Allows the school to save more scholarship for skills players from major metros. That is why Badgers had non stop flow of great running backs and linebackers

That formula worked in its day. Now with NIL it may need to be updated but not wholesale changed .

No, he wasn't. He was a Notre Dame assistant. He played at Nebraska...23 years before he got to Wisconsin and before Tom Osborne took the helm in Lincoln. Alvarez never coached above the high school level in the state of Nebraska.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1324 on: October 15, 2023, 11:22:55 AM »
No, he wasn't. He was a Notre Dame assistant. He played at Nebraska...23 years before he got to Wisconsin and before Tom Osborne took the helm in Lincoln. Alvarez never coached above the high school level in the state of Nebraska.

Nebraska ran the I-formation and option offense with athletically skilled QBs.  Alvarez played at Nebraska before they ran that kind of offense.

Also, Alvarez cut his teeth as an assistant under Hayden Fry at Iowa.

The only thing Wisconsin had in common with Nebraska was the steroid use.

feedback