[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 85151 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: 2022-23 College Football Thread
« Reply #425 on: October 31, 2022, 03:19:59 PM »
If they don't get Kiffin, they are inevitably going to be disappointed at whomever they end up with. That is a hard gig with sky high expectations, but you are sandwiched in between Georgia and Alabama. Plus there is all the booster involvement...

I have a hard time believing that Kiffin will see a lot of value shifting from Ole Miss to Auburn.  Its not that much better a gig, and Auburn fans/athletic department are certifiably insane.  Maybe I'm colored by the brief convo directly higher in this thread that he'll slide into the Bama job before too long. 

This has Hugh Freeze written all over it to me.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #426 on: October 31, 2022, 03:29:40 PM »
Todd Monken is who Auburn should hire, but probably won't.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #427 on: October 31, 2022, 03:32:22 PM »
Scott Frost is available...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #428 on: October 31, 2022, 04:11:33 PM »
I have a hard time believing that Kiffin will see a lot of value shifting from Ole Miss to Auburn.  Its not that much better a gig, and Auburn fans/athletic department are certifiably insane.  Maybe I'm colored by the brief convo directly higher in this thread that he'll slide into the Bama job before too long. 

This has Hugh Freeze written all over it to me.

Totally agree.  He's recruiting really well at Ole Miss, expectations are lower to the point that they are thrilled with him, and he can cruise until Bama or something else prestigious opens up.  I think Kiffin at Bama would be fun as hell.  I love him as a coach.

Freeze is interesting.  Scumbag to be sure, but dude can coach.  What he's done at Liberty in short order has been impressive.

Todd Monken is who Auburn should hire, but probably won't.

I think the best hire would have been if they had taken care of this in the offseason and gotten Sonny Dykes.

Outside of that, I think Jeff Traylor from UTSA would be a great hire.  Former Arkansas assistant with Texas recruiting roots.  Sooner or later someone is gonna entice Jamey Chadwell from Coastal Carolina too.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #429 on: October 31, 2022, 04:44:53 PM »
If they don't get Kiffin, they are inevitably going to be disappointed at whomever they end up with. That is a hard gig with sky high expectations, but you are sandwiched in between Georgia and Alabama. Plus there is all the booster involvement...

You have to be a certain level crazy to take the gig. 

The timing might be right for a new hire.  Saban is 70 and history has taught us diminishing returns follow.  Granted, Saban is built different and he’s defied a lot of history while at Alabama.  Still, there might be a crack.

The problem you highlighte is a fully engaged Georgia program and I’ll add a revitalized Tennessee program
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #430 on: October 31, 2022, 05:10:34 PM »
The videos of that attack by Michigan State players are ugly and eye-opening. Criminal charges are possible.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #431 on: October 31, 2022, 05:32:01 PM »
The videos of that attack by Michigan State players are ugly and eye-opening. Criminal charges are possible.

At this point, it’s ingrained in the Michigan State football culture.  It was there under Dantonio and hasn’t gone away.  Their whole identity revolves around beating Michigan. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #432 on: October 31, 2022, 06:32:10 PM »

Auburn fans will take Freeze over Kiffin.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #433 on: October 31, 2022, 08:00:19 PM »
At this point, it’s ingrained in the Michigan State football culture.  It was there under Dantonio and hasn’t gone away.  Their whole identity revolves around beating Michigan.

OK, but did they literally have to beat Michigan?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #434 on: November 01, 2022, 12:52:57 PM »
Totally agree.  He's recruiting really well at Ole Miss, expectations are lower to the point that they are thrilled with him, and he can cruise until Bama or something else prestigious opens up.  I think Kiffin at Bama would be fun as hell.  I love him as a coach.

Auburn is paying $15.3 million to fire Harsin, plus is still paying Malzahn's buyout. I suppose all bets are off on Kiffin if they give him that Jimbo Fisher treatment.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #435 on: November 02, 2022, 05:05:49 PM »
I know the rankings don't mean sh*t now and it will work itself out in the end but where is the logic in the CFP poll?

On one hand the message is, Michigan - your name and the public perception don't mean anything, your SOS is garbage.
On the other hand is, TCU - your SOS don't mean anything, your name and public perception are garbage.

Can't they just pick a standard and stick to it?

Just an observation.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #436 on: November 02, 2022, 05:09:11 PM »
I know the rankings don't mean sh*t now and it will work itself out in the end but where is the logic in the CFP poll?

On one hand the message is, Michigan - your name and the public perception don't mean anything, your SOS is garbage.
On the other hand is, TCU - your SOS don't mean anything, your name and public perception are garbage.

Just an observation.

The chairman went on ESPN and said they’re looking for “complete teams” and TCU is 7 because their defense isn’t good

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #437 on: November 02, 2022, 07:30:22 PM »
The chairman went on ESPN and said they’re looking for “complete teams” and TCU is 7 because their defense isn’t good

Yep, TCU is very good but they gave up 34 to a 4-4 SMU, 31 to a mediocre 3-5 WVU team.  Their D is porous.

Just an observation.

TCU has plenty of name and public perception.  They upgraded conferences twice in less than 8 years due to their success and cache.  They finished in the top 10 7 times in the last 15 years.  They aren’t Rice.

They’ve had a nice year but their best wins won’t age well.  OK St was a fantastic win until they got curbstomped by Kansas St and are clinging to the top 20.  Oklahoma win looks pretty meh.  The Kansas win was nice but is aging like milk.  Kansas St is their best win right now and they lost to f-INT Tulane and snuck by meh Iowa St and Texas Tech teams.  And TCU isn’t super convincing in the wins.

Meanwhile Michigan has THROTTLED teams.  No margins under 2 TDs except for a weird Maryland game.  Closest other margin was 13 against Iowa and that was a 3 score game going into the 4th.

And their SOS is 30th, TCU is 17th.  It’s not wildly different.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #438 on: November 02, 2022, 07:41:08 PM »
Yep, TCU is very good but they gave up 34 to a 4-4 SMU, 31 to a mediocre 3-5 WVU team.  Their D is porous.

TCU has plenty of name and public perception.  They upgraded conferences twice in less than 8 years due to their success and cache.  They finished in the top 10 7 times in the last 15 years.  They aren’t Rice.

They’ve had a nice year but their best wins won’t age well.  OK St was a fantastic win until they got curbstomped by Kansas St and are clinging to the top 20.  Oklahoma win looks pretty meh.  The Kansas win was nice but is aging like milk.  Kansas St is their best win right now and they lost to f-INT Tulane and snuck by meh Iowa St and Texas Tech teams.  And TCU isn’t super convincing in the wins.

Meanwhile Michigan has THROTTLED teams.  No margins under 2 TDs except for a weird Maryland game.  Closest other margin was 13 against Iowa and that was a 3 score game going into the 4th.

And their SOS is 30th, TCU is 17th.  It’s not wildly different.

If TCU wins out, they will have earned a spot.  Ohio/Michigan loser is out.  The SEC is poised to cannibalize itself.  There’s a clear path for TCU and that’s to keep winning.

I watched the TCU-OSU game and TCU deserves credit for finding a way to win.  OSU went into a shell for some reason the final 10 minutes or so.  Never felt like TCU should have won that game but they did and that’s all that matters.  Kind of shows how random things can be in the sport

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #439 on: November 02, 2022, 07:48:14 PM »
For the record,  I'm not arguing TCU over Michigan just the lack of consistency.

Now, TCU over Alabama? TCU has 2 better wins than Bama has and zero losses.

In the end it all works out. I'm not worked up over the CFP.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #440 on: November 05, 2022, 11:06:28 AM »
Games across the Midwest today will be something else

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #441 on: November 05, 2022, 11:25:28 AM »
If Pj Fleck isnt going to find a master tactician to pull the strings.

Hes gotta go.

Cornball terminology and being likeable to recruits can only go so far.

Would be absolutely brutal to be a gopher fan have hopes every year based off his hype only to watch the guy game plan and in game coach.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #442 on: November 05, 2022, 11:26:10 AM »
So I guess Northwestern fans no longer have to worry about an NFL team stealing Fitz from them.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #443 on: November 05, 2022, 01:48:40 PM »
Mo Ibrahim just took the Gophers 67 yards on 7 carries for a TD.  Just stole Nebraska’s manhood

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #444 on: November 05, 2022, 02:21:57 PM »
Mo Ibrahim just took the Gophers 67 yards on 7 carries for a TD.  Just stole Nebraska’s manhood

Unfortuantely for Minny, Fleck has no manhood and punted when Mo was screaming at him to go for it and end the game.

Now Nebraska driving with a chance to tie.

Since its Nebraska it probably ends up moot. But its been Flecks MO his whole tenure. Play not to lose instead of win.

Think people around here are getting real sick of his act.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #445 on: November 05, 2022, 02:28:58 PM »
Unfortuantely for Minny, Fleck has no manhood and punted when Mo was screaming at him to go for it and end the game.

Now Nebraska driving with a chance to tie.

Since its Nebraska it probably ends up moot. But its been Flecks MO his whole tenure. Play not to lose instead of win.

Think people around here are getting real sick of his act.

WR drops its.

log jam at 3-3 in the west with damn Illinois close to winning it, nuts.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #446 on: November 05, 2022, 04:23:21 PM »
Georgia impressively taking Tennessee behind the woodshed … even if Kirby Smart mismanaged the clock at the end of the half.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #447 on: November 05, 2022, 05:31:41 PM »
Not a great day to be a Tennessee offensive lineman.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #448 on: November 05, 2022, 10:09:43 PM »
LSU-Bama: Great 4th quarter, great finish, gutsy call by the guy who quit on ND.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #449 on: November 06, 2022, 12:36:57 AM »
LSU-Bama: Great 4th quarter, great finish, gutsy call by the guy who quit on ND.

Obsessed with Kelly too, grampa? ::) ::) Sorry he left your beloved Irish for a better job and more money.

Liberty goes into Arkansas and beats the Razorbacks as a 14.5 point dog. A nice booster for Huge Freeze’s Auburn candidacy.n
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback