collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 84806 times)

withoutbias

• All American
Re: 2022-23 College Football Thread
« Reply #800 on: January 02, 2023, 01:56:24 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb_eXyhlHaA

How you do NOT want to have the ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #801 on: January 02, 2023, 03:52:30 PM »
USC is ready for the Big Ten
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #802 on: January 02, 2023, 03:55:23 PM »
Tulane.

That’s great fun. Good for them.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #803 on: January 02, 2023, 03:56:22 PM »
USC got passed on a Tulane (two lane)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #804 on: January 02, 2023, 04:02:31 PM »
What are we even talking about?  The Ohio State kicker missed the field goal because the laces were out?  I've never been a kicker in football, but I'm pretty certain that's what you want.  The laces should be facing the goalposts that the ball is being kicked to, not facing the kicker.  That's how the holder was holding the ball (clear as day in the first replay they show here).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09rBR-gNcnQ

Shanks for that video. Shocking that shoothoops was mistaken.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #805 on: January 02, 2023, 04:10:17 PM »
Shanks for that video. Shocking that shoothoops was mistaken.

Yes. Shocking.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #806 on: January 02, 2023, 04:18:22 PM »
The Rose Bowl feels very “quaint” to me these days. Used to be a tradition growing up but feels pretty dated.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #807 on: January 02, 2023, 05:11:55 PM »
USC is ready for the Big Ten
On that note, how bout them Boilermakers!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #808 on: January 04, 2023, 02:06:59 PM »
In a completely Bobby Petrino sort of scenario, Jimbo Fisher poaches Petrino from UNLV after less than 2 weeks to be the new OC at A&M.

Reactions are mixed, but people acting like Petrio is a washed up has been are telling on themselves.  I totally would not been keen to give him a P5 HC gig, but his offenses have still cooked even in his second stop at Louisville and more recently at Missouri St.  With all the talent at A&M, he could make them interesting in a hurry.

However, whats intriguing is Jimbo not only ceding playcalling/offense credit, but the optics of the team suddenly turning around after he gives up offensive system control.

• All American
« Reply #809 on: January 04, 2023, 03:08:28 PM »
In a completely Bobby Petrino sort of scenario, Jimbo Fisher poaches Petrino from UNLV after less than 2 weeks to be the new OC at A&M.

Reactions are mixed, but people acting like Petrio is a washed up has been are telling on themselves.  I totally would not been keen to give him a P5 HC gig, but his offenses have still cooked even in his second stop at Louisville and more recently at Missouri St.  With all the talent at A&M, he could make them interesting in a hurry.

However, whats intriguing is Jimbo not only ceding playcalling/offense credit, but the optics of the team suddenly turning around after he gives up offensive system control.

Jimbo, Petrino and DJ Durkin on the same staff could either be great....or it could be a disaster. Either way, I am here for it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #810 on: January 04, 2023, 03:28:48 PM »

Jimbo, Petrino and DJ Durkin on the same staff could either be great....or it could be a disaster. Either way, I am here for it.

Yep it all comes down to Jimbo as a CEO.  Both Petrino and Durkin had the "toxic" labels on them as HCs, but were very good coordinators.  If he can circumvent that, they could be successful.  I don't think Durkin is the issue, I don't recall anything negative from his stint at Ole Miss.  But Petrino is the type to absolutely scheme and backstab to try and get promoted.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #811 on: January 05, 2023, 08:33:55 AM »
Marvin Harrison Jr. unfortunately isn't eligible to be drafted until 2024. He looks like the next great NFL receiver and probably doesn't need to play a single snap next season to be a top-5 pick.

Given that he got hurt on a brutal hit vs. Georgia and given all the reaction regarding the Hamlin situation, I wonder if Harrison would consider sitting out next season to protect his multimillion-dollar body. Were I his adviser, it would be difficult for me to advise him to play.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #812 on: January 05, 2023, 08:37:19 AM »
Marvin Harrison Jr. unfortunately isn't eligible to be drafted until 2024. He looks like the next great NFL receiver and probably doesn't need to play a single snap next season to be a top-5 pick.

Given that he got hurt on a brutal hit vs. Georgia and given all the reaction regarding the Hamlin situation, I wonder if Harrison would consider sitting out next season to protect his multimillion-dollar body. Were I his adviser, it would be difficult for me to advise him to play.

I'm sure he's getting plenty of money playing for O$U.

I think the best way to continue to prepare for the next level is to continue playing in college.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #813 on: January 05, 2023, 08:45:02 AM »
Yeah, we have a thread like this every year. Rarely do people skip a year, in fact outside of the Covid year I can't think of any off the top of my head. And I don't think a ton of these top prospects get hurt.

EDIT: and wades is right. NIL changes this significantly.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #814 on: January 05, 2023, 08:55:37 AM »
Plus a lot of these top NFL prospects who aren't eligible for the draft yet will get an insurance policy in case of injury.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #815 on: January 05, 2023, 09:01:56 AM »

I think the best way to continue to prepare for the next level is to continue playing in college.

He’ll get more when he transfers to USC

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #816 on: January 05, 2023, 10:02:16 AM »

Eva herd of Lloyds of London? He's playin'', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #817 on: January 05, 2023, 10:05:28 AM »

Plus a lot of these top NFL prospects who aren't eligible for the draft yet will get an insurance policy in case of injury.

Good points.

So that's some of the $$$ part of it, though his first NFL contract would guarantee him more than any of that, and his second one (if he's as good as it looks like he'll be) could get him 9 figures. No insurance policy would cover anything close to that.

But there's also the "how much risk with my body am I willing to take?" part of it. I'm guessing that he knows the score, and this probably isn't big on his mind ... unless the events of the last week (his own situation, and that of Hamlin) weigh on him. None of us can know that.

Sitting out the Covid year didn't hurt top prospects, Trey Lance being Exhibit 1. And sitting out bowl games hasn't hurt prospects for years.

But yeah, I agree with Sultan that this is more just fan-board discussion type stuff. It's quite possible that Harrison isn't even remotely thinking about sitting out the 2023 season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #818 on: January 05, 2023, 10:12:21 AM »
Also, given that his dad made $70M in his career, I'd also hope his family is not relying on his future earnings.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #819 on: January 05, 2023, 10:23:11 AM »
Sitting out the Covid year didn't hurt top prospects, Trey Lance being Exhibit 1. And sitting out bowl games hasn't hurt prospects for years.

The COVID year was an anamoly, and part of the reason players sat out that year was that it wasn't going to be a normal season with normal top tier competition anyways. 

Trevor Lawrence was the consensus #1 pick in 2021 after his freshman season at Clemson and he still played out not 1, but 2 more years.

As Sultan says, nobody sits out a year like that.  And while the Hamlin thing was terrifying and sobering, I don't think that affects current players anymore than Eric LeGrand or Devon Walker or Ryan Shazier being paralyzed affected players at the time, outside of maybe those that already had spinal injuries.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #820 on: January 05, 2023, 10:43:47 AM »
The COVID year was an anamoly, and part of the reason players sat out that year was that it wasn't going to be a normal season with normal top tier competition anyways. 

Trevor Lawrence was the consensus #1 pick in 2021 after his freshman season at Clemson and he still played out not 1, but 2 more years.

As Sultan says, nobody sits out a year like that.  And while the Hamlin thing was terrifying and sobering, I don't think that affects current players anymore than Eric LeGrand or Devon Walker or Ryan Shazier being paralyzed affected players at the time, outside of maybe those that already had spinal injuries.

I think you're probably right about all of this, and I never said otherwise.

There was similar discussion about Lawrence sitting out a year, or even two. That's all it was - discussion. And that's all this is, though this time there is the context of the brutal hit Harrison just took, as well as the Hamlin situation. Again, I'm not saying either of those will influence Harrison's decision at all. It would be far more surprising if he doesn't play than if he does.

The football world seems does seem to be affected more by the Hamlin situation than earlier, similarly horrific events, but I fully allow maybe that's just recency bias talking.

Sometimes, things do strike a nerve and become bigger than previous situations. The aftermath of the murder of George Floyd is an example - there were countless other horrifying racist events throughout history, but that one (for a variety of reasons) resonated more. Maybe the Hamlin situation will resonate more in this realm ... or maybe it will eventually fade into a horrible memory, as the other cases you brought up have.

Interesting discussion, Wags. Thanks to you and the others.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #821 on: January 05, 2023, 11:52:00 AM »
Also, given that his dad made $70M in his career, I'd also hope his family is not relying on his future earnings.
You'd think so and hope so but these NFL guys (and NBA, MLB) spend money like nobody. A friend of mine for years has hung out with NFL players for years and tells me most nights out on the town they spend $10k or more each night. He's seen rookies spend $20-$30k in a night paying for the older guys. It's a different world.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #822 on: January 05, 2023, 11:53:47 AM »

When dad shoots people, that money can disappear quick

jesmu84

• All American

feedback