collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 80816 times)

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
Re: 2022-23 College Football Thread
« Reply #850 on: January 09, 2023, 09:47:36 PM »
At what point do they go to the running clock?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #851 on: January 09, 2023, 09:47:44 PM »
I wasnt expecting this one to be competitive

But boy, 59-7 is not how i draw it up for entertainment value
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #852 on: January 09, 2023, 10:21:58 PM »
Well, at least it wasn’t 66-6.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #854 on: January 09, 2023, 11:16:14 PM »
At least in future years we’ll have more mediocre teams in the Playoffs.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #855 on: January 10, 2023, 04:52:09 AM »
Yeah, when the broadcast said that guy was a true freshman, some 4 letter words came out of my mouth.

Gosh?  Heck?  Golf?  Good?   Stud?

When will Pack mess this?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #856 on: January 10, 2023, 08:30:28 AM »
This year's Georgia squad may be the best college football team ever.

About the only team they weren't tested by was Alabama. And what you see what they did to everyone from Oregon to Ohio State, with LSU and Tennessee thrown in for grins, this team was really something and probably would have sent Nick Saban back to Alabama about as fast as his elephant would carry him.

As to a Georgia dynasty, that's the beauty of college sports. They have to reload every year. Saban already is planning for ways to get Georgia, as is Tennessee, LSU and the rest of the SEC. Not to mention Ohio State.

Michigan is another story!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #857 on: January 10, 2023, 08:59:13 AM »
Probably kould beet da Pack, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #858 on: January 10, 2023, 09:26:58 AM »
Wow ... in retrospect the Big 10 really shyte the bed.

Ohio State had Georgia beat but couldn't finish 'em off. And Michigan somehow found a way to lose to a JV team.

So we were left with Georgia 987, TCU 1.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #859 on: January 10, 2023, 12:30:34 PM »
Wow ... in retrospect the Big 10 really shyte the bed.

Ohio State had Georgia beat but couldn't finish 'em off. And Michigan somehow found a way to lose to a JV team.

So we were left with Georgia 987, TCU 1.
I agree TCU looked like a JV team last night. The reality is the computers, pollsters and CFP voters all concurred they were a top 3 team.

The SEC is just really good. Sony Dykes must agree as TCU has four Alabama transfers coming in.

What Dykes and TCU did was amazing. Can you envision Fickle taking Wisconsin to the championship game next year? Madison would build him a statue after 1 year.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #860 on: January 10, 2023, 12:42:48 PM »
Georgia won all of its games and they are a deserving champion.

It was one game. TCU got smoked, but they earned their way there.

Georgia was fortunate to win against Ohio State and Mizzou. (They were losing for 56 of 60 minutes vs Mizzou.) They were fortunate to win both of those games. They didn’t look all that great vs Kentucky either.

There isn’t a team in college football that played great every game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #861 on: January 10, 2023, 12:45:33 PM »
I agree TCU looked like a JV team last night. The reality is the computers, pollsters and CFP voters all concurred they were a top 3 team.

The SEC is just really good. Sony Dykes must agree as TCU has four Alabama transfers coming in.

What Dykes and TCU did was amazing. Can you envision Fickle taking Wisconsin to the championship game next year? Madison would build him a statue after 1 year.

I can't envision it because I pay so little attention to the Madison program ... I mean, is it possible to pay less than zero attention to something? If so, that's where I am there.

But I do get your point. Dykes is doing a great job.

One of my real good friends is a Georgia alum. He's the super-nervous fan type - kinda like our Muggsy here. And he actually was almost embarrassed by the second half of last night's game, texting me: "Man, it shouldn't be THIS easy!"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #862 on: January 10, 2023, 12:51:05 PM »
Georgia was fortunate to win against Ohio State and Mizzou. (They were losing for 56 of 60 minutes vs Mizzou.) They were fortunate to win both of those games. They didn’t look all that great vs Kentucky either.

I get it ... but by the same reasoning, TCU was "fortunate" in about a half-dozen of their wins. Even their loss to K-State in the B12 title game, they were fortunate that it didn't knock them out of the playoffs. There probably was no more fortunate team in college football this season than TCU; with a little less good fortune, they could have ended up in the Lendingtree Bowl or Gasparilla Bowl.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #863 on: January 10, 2023, 01:34:34 PM »

Anyone backtracking on TCU being undeserving is just bitter revisionist history.  Picked 7th in the B12, they just found ways to beat anyone in their path.  Destroyed OU before people realized OU wasn't that great.  Won at Kansas when they were undefeated and scorching hot.  Outlasted an undefeated OSU team before all their injuries.  Beat a very good KSU team the first time around.  They were more deserving than Bama hands down, even if Bama was the better team.  You just don't lost 2 of your last 5 FBS games and make the playoff, even if you are Bama.

Sonny Dykes is a hell of a coach.  And they have a top 20 class coming in after not even having a top half of the B12 class for a number of years.

Whats terrifying is how SAWFT the schedule is for UGA next year.  Their only potentially difficult road game is UT (other road games are Auburn, Vandy, and GT).  No Bama next year, Florida is a question mark, nothing significant OOC, and Ole Miss at home.  After reloading with 2 top 50 edge rushers 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #864 on: January 10, 2023, 05:04:06 PM »
Anyone backtracking on TCU being undeserving is just bitter revisionist history.  Picked 7th in the B12, they just found ways to beat anyone in their path.

Any team picked 7th or lower in their conference preseason poll should just pack it in.  ;D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #865 on: January 15, 2023, 09:05:40 AM »
Wild NIL-related stuff from The Athletic:

In case you missed it, we’re breaking down one of the wilder stories of the NIL era: The curious case of Jaden Rashada. The four-star quarterback signee is in “purgatory,” G. Allen Taylor writes, as the school works to fix an NIL indiscretion. A quick-ish recap:

June 26, 2022: Rashada commits to Miami.
Nov. 10: Rashada and a Florida donor collective agree on an NIL deal exceeding $13 million, and he flips his commitment to the Gators.
Dec. 7: The collective’s CEO sends a termination letter regarding the contract, Taylor reports. There are conflicting accounts about why the deal crumbled and who pledged to pay what.
Dec. 21: Coach Billy Napier’s national signing day news conference is delayed 67 minutes. Rashada’s name, initially missing from the list of signees, is added at the last minute.
Dec. 29-Jan. 3: Rashada and his family make glowing comments about Napier and indicate the recruit plans to enroll early.
Jan. 10: He doesn’t.

One of Taylor’s sources says Rashada won’t be enrolling at Florida. There’s also the potential for litigation, hinging upon whether the November contract is binding. Florida collectives are offering a lesser deal (still above seven figures) — with the caveat that Rashada releases everyone from all previous claims.

Again: We’re talking seven-plus figures for a four-star recruit. Stay tuned!

Uncle Rico

• All American
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Uncle Rico

• All American
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #868 on: January 15, 2023, 10:38:18 AM »

In case you missed it, we’re breaking down one of the wilder stories of the NIL era: The curious case of Jaden Rashada. The four-star quarterback signee is in “purgatory,” G. Allen Taylor writes, as the school works to fix an NIL indiscretion. A quick-ish recap:

Nov. 10: Rashada and a Florida donor collective agree on an NIL deal exceeding $13 million, and he flips his commitment to the Gators.
Dec. 7: The collective’s CEO sends a termination letter regarding the contract, Taylor reports. There are conflicting accounts about why the deal crumbled and who pledged to pay what.
Dec. 21: Coach Billy Napier’s national signing day news conference is delayed 67 minutes. Rashada’s name, initially missing from the list of signees, is added at the last minute.
Dec. 29-Jan. 3: Rashada and his family make glowing comments about Napier and indicate the recruit plans to enroll early.

One of Taylor’s sources says Rashada won’t be enrolling at Florida. There’s also the potential for litigation, hinging upon whether the November contract is binding. Florida collectives are offering a lesser deal (still above seven figures) — with the caveat that Rashada releases everyone from all previous claims.

I find it interesting, but not unexpected, the spread of player being "fired" by not only NIL employers but also teams/schools. I know NIL and transfer freedom was never sold as a path to fairness without negatives, but the way it has played out has crystalized the perception and reality that these are professional athletes and education has essentially been eliminated as mission of the system.

The reality that players were essentially cut prior to the past few years is true, but the scale on which NIL deals are being canceled and players are being forced into the transfer portal, to make room for others, is significant.

Also, the shift away from high school recruiting to transfer recruiting, or re-recruiting, has been interesting also.

It is shocking to me that Saban is stumping for a salary cap. I didn't see an SEC coach being in favor of that.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #869 on: January 15, 2023, 10:46:59 AM »
I wouldn’t say that the education mission has been “eliminated.” I would say that this situation bares the fact that it has been de-emphasized for years. At the top levels, it has been nonsense for a long time. Now perception has caught up to that reality.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #870 on: January 15, 2023, 01:53:45 PM »
I wouldn’t say that the education mission has been “eliminated.” I would say that this situation bares the fact that it has been de-emphasized for years. At the top levels, it has been nonsense for a long time. Now perception has caught up to that reality.
It is "Semantics" but when I said essentially eliminated I know that some level of academic participation is required but less important then things like practice and fulfilling NIL obligations. Also, the schools are more empowered to force players out of school, which balances the players having more power to switch schools.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #871 on: January 15, 2023, 02:24:50 PM »
Eventually, there will be rules. In the meantime, this doesn't bother me at all. Glad to see the hard-working athletes get rewarded. High-level college football and basketball has been "professional" for years; now it's just on the table instead of under it, and now it's better money.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #872 on: January 15, 2023, 03:49:51 PM »
When the salary cap comes about, the players will have to unionize. That is the only way to legally collectively bargain.

Remind me, what do unions do from time to time? ;)   

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #873 on: January 15, 2023, 04:14:40 PM »

Truly a fascinating story that’s a perfect highlight of the complexity of NIL.

Though they aren’t doing Rashada justice.  He’s a top 25ish 5 star recruit on 24/7, 98 overall. The only other QBs that are 99s are top 5 recruits.  It’s a extremely high rated QB class with Manning, Iamaleava, Moore, and Nelson all basically top 5 recruits.  Any other year Rashada is probably a top 3 QB, he’s a stud. Hence the big NIL deal.

Also, the main reason his composite ranking fell so much was cause Rivals did the classic “drop the recruit a bunch of spots for not signing with a top 10 team” when he signed with Miami over the summer.  He’s still top 30 in 24/7 and ESPN, but 80 something in Rivals

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #874 on: January 15, 2023, 04:45:41 PM »
When the salary cap comes about, the players will have to unionize. That is the only way to legally collectively bargain.

Remind me, what do unions do from time to time? ;)

Get locked out?

feedback