[Today at 09:54:20 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mummified Baby Woolly in the Yukon  (Read 5079 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Mummified Baby Woolly in the Yukon
« on: June 28, 2022, 08:23:37 PM »
They're estimating it's 30K years old.  And completely in tact.  Should we bring back the Woolly Mammoth? 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 08:25:22 PM by MuggsyB »

tower912

• All American
Re: Mummified Baby Woolly in the Yukon
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 08:47:39 PM »
To what end?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 08:47:52 PM »
Already well underway.

https://reviverestore.org/projects/woolly-mammoth/

They've raised over $60M for this project as of March.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 08:49:40 PM »
Already well underway.

https://reviverestore.org/projects/woolly-mammoth/

They've raised over $60M for this project as of March.

Yes.  This is a very serious consideration.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 08:55:56 PM »
They're estimating it's 30K years old.  And completely in tact.  Should we bring back the Woolly Mammoth?
Absolutely we should . The technology is there
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 09:08:08 PM »
Ancient scrolls indicate they pair well with a Napa Cab.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 09:10:28 PM »
Good excuse to get a bigger smoker.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 09:23:05 PM »

I heard they taste a lot like manatee.

Just messin' with you muggsy.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 09:30:32 PM »
Good excuse to get a bigger smoker.

Meat summit only, aina?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 10:31:25 PM »
I'm a fan of Woolly Mammoth's and feel strongly they should not be disparaged or mocked.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 10:57:10 PM »
I'm a fan of Woolly Mammoth's and feel strongly they should not be disparaged or mocked.

What about bringing them back to farm them for meat?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2022, 01:29:56 AM »

Josh Gates Expedition Unknown had a 2 part episode about this  They needs to find enough usable DNA to do.  They've found several mammoth in Siberia and a South Korean lab was slowly collecting anything usable.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2022, 07:02:58 AM »
Mummified is a cooking technique very similar to todays confit.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2022, 07:46:41 AM »
Absolutely we should . The technology is there
Ian Malcolm : Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2022, 07:51:39 AM »
I think it would be cool as hell.

But I wonder...toward what end? Are we going to clone enough of these to bring it back as a viable species? Because I don't think that's possible given the world is a lot hotter then when they last roamed it. (And current research it was likely climate more than human hunting that killed them off.)

Are we just going to do this a couple of times for research purposes? Because remember this would be a living being that would spend its entire life in captivity.  Which is fine...to a point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2022, 08:00:17 AM »

But I wonder...toward what end? Are we going to clone enough of these to bring it back as a viable species? Because I don't think that's possible given the world is a lot hotter then when they last roamed it. (And current research it was likely climate more than human hunting that killed them off.)

Are we just going to do this a couple of times for research purposes? Because remember this would be a living being that would spend its entire life in captivity.  Which is fine...to a point.

There is a Russian scientist who wants to clone mammoths and release them in Siberia.  Something about roaming the tundra again will do something to return the landscape to the past and it will help cool the climate. 
Another story from the Atlantic like 4-5 years ago.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2022, 09:24:41 AM »

An obvious hoax. The Earth is only 6500 years old.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2022, 09:41:52 AM »

Yup, this is 100% my thinking as well.  And not to go all PETA, but the wooly's closest living relative (and the animal that would give birth to the first ones) is the asian elephant, which is one of the most social creatures on Earth.  Presumably we'd see a lot of social similarities in mammoths, so if we're going to bring them back, we'd better do right by them.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2022, 09:56:45 AM »
There is a Russian scientist who wants to clone mammoths and release them in Siberia.  Something about roaming the tundra again will do something to return the landscape to the past and it will help cool the climate. 
Another story from the Atlantic like 4-5 years ago.

This is the plan by American scientists also. Release them in tundra in Siberia and northern Canada, to actually help with climate change.

From what I've heard from some of the people involved in these projects, they believe they will have enough viable DNA to succeed. But there are a lot of question marks.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2022, 10:00:26 AM »

Id caveat viability with a few things. 

1) They wouldn't have to clone thousands.  Populations have been saved with relatively small numbers.  I mean, American Bisons were down to 500 living before they were brought back, and that was a far less controlled conservation than this would be.

2) Unlike many species that went extinct, there is plenty of habitat for them.  Whether Siberia or Canada or even far northern US, its not somewhere that is going to have a ton of human competition.  Though it was colder, its not like their habitat was some desolate snowy wasteland.

I agree, not sure what the outcome is.  Maybe tourism?  Maybe the triumph of genetics/science?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2022, 10:57:11 AM »
Id caveat viability with a few things. 

1) They wouldn't have to clone thousands.  Populations have been saved with relatively small numbers.  I mean, American Bisons were down to 500 living before they were brought back, and that was a far less controlled conservation than this would be.

2) Unlike many species that went extinct, there is plenty of habitat for them.  Whether Siberia or Canada or even far northern US, its not somewhere that is going to have a ton of human competition.  Though it was colder, its not like their habitat was some desolate snowy wasteland.

I agree, not sure what the outcome is.  Maybe tourism?  Maybe the triumph of genetics/science?

There are scientists that believe they could restore the tundra.  And beyond that they were very social animals and family oriented. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2022, 11:33:27 AM »
There are scientists that believe they could restore the tundra.  And beyond that they were very social animals and family oriented.

They should clone a sabertooth tiger and a giant sloth that does funny voices too.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2022, 11:51:33 AM »
There are scientists that believe they could restore the tundra.

Maybe that would mean the Packers will get back to having a Home Field Advantage in the playoffs.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2022, 12:17:32 PM »
Maybe that would mean the Packers will get back to having a Home Field Advantage in the playoffs.

Is "mammoth weather" the same as "Bear weather"?  Might convince Ol Virginia to hang on for another decade

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2022, 12:32:18 PM »

Cabbage or Cabernet?