[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Stupid on NIL  (Read 9502 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Stupid on NIL
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2022, 08:52:35 AM »
Here's a look on how not just football and men's basketball players are benefiting from NIL.

It's about North Carolina women's basketball star Deja Kelly, who has lucrative deals with Forever 21, Dunkin’ Donuts and Outback Steakhouse. She also has equity in a company called Drink Barcode as part of her deal with them.

“I’ve always carried myself as a brand; I’ve always made sure that Deja Kelly was seen as a brand on and off the court,” she said. “So I think that that has allowed a lot of these NIL deals to come into play for me.”

Kelly is represented by WME agency and her “team” there handles securing all of her deals. It’s allowed her to keep the business side separate from school and basketball and it’s how she’s been able to juggle it all without feeling overwhelmed.

www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article262760123.html#storylink=cpy
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2022, 09:22:41 AM »
Now that the NBA and its players association plan to let players go directly from preps to pros again (per The National, and other outlets) -- effectively ending the One-And-Done Era -- it will be interesting to see if the presence of NIL influences some talented high schoolers to opt to go to college for a year or two anyway.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2022, 12:06:29 PM »
Anyone have any specifics on the deal that Travis Diener worked for the men's and women's teams?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2022, 12:49:58 PM »
Anyone have any specifics on the deal that Travis Diener worked for the men's and women's teams?

Every player got a 5 figure amount, mens and womens, a few on the mens teams got a lot more

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2022, 12:57:13 PM »
Every player got a 5 figure amount, mens and womens, a few on the mens teams got a lot more

Locker room dissensions incoming.  No wonder OMax is getting no pub
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2022, 01:52:39 PM »
Was looking at the College Football recruiting classes yesterday and its clear NIL is ruining the sport.

Alabama, Notra Dame, Texas, Georgia and Oklahoma made up the latest Top 5.  All becuase of NIL.  I so long for the days of innocence before NIL.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2022, 02:58:34 PM »

I generally support the NIL, but I can't wrap my head around this at all...

1.  "Be the Difference" paid women the same amount as men?
2.  Why did some of the men's players get more?  From "Be the Difference" or from additional NIL deals?  I believe I heard Diener say the program was set to pay every player equally? 
3.  Are they allowed to enter into multi-year contracts?  Can the contracts promote Shaka's belief that MU needs to win with 3 and 4-year veterans? 
4.  Who ends up funding this?  I have no idea how much MU basketball brings in from its boosters, but that money can/should be funneled to "Be the Difference" instead?  I would assume discussions are now being had at how much they ask for from a facilities/operations standpoint vs a players salary ("Be the Difference") standpoint?
5.  How important is a coach?  No matter how much Kentucky's "Be the Difference" brings in, they can pay their top 7 players a million per year, and have $2 million to hire a coach with the $9 million they currently pay Cal.  I get that's extreme, and players want to play for a coach that develops them best...but it has to come into play?  Obviously, the NBA places a higher value on players than coaches...
6.  We'll surely see some players taking pay-cuts when their college eligibility expires?
7.  The complexity of this probably rises to a level that all of my questions above are ignorant/stupid...and the considerations/planning is something I can't comprehend without a great level of experience in high-level college athletics?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 03:00:28 PM by avid1010 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2022, 03:09:40 PM »

2.  Why did some of the men's players get more?  From "Be the Difference" or from additional NIL deals?  I believe I heard Diener say the program was set to pay every player equally? 
3.  Are they allowed to enter into multi-year contracts?  Can the contracts promote Shaka's belief that MU needs to win with 3 and 4-year veterans? 
4.  Who ends up funding this?  I have no idea how much MU basketball brings in from its boosters, but that money can/should be funneled to "Be the Difference" instead?  I would assume discussions are now being had at how much they ask for from a facilities/operations standpoint vs a players salary ("Be the Difference") standpoint?
5.  How important is a coach?  No matter how much Kentucky's "Be the Difference" brings in, they can pay their top 7 players a million per year, and have $2 million to hire a coach with the $9 million they currently pay Cal.  I get that's extreme, and players want to play for a coach that develops them best...but it has to come into play?  Obviously, the NBA places a higher value on players than coaches...
6.  We'll surely see some players taking pay-cuts when their college eligibility expires?
7.  The complexity of this probably rises to a level that all of my questions above are ignorant/stupid...and the considerations/planning is something I can't comprehend without a great level of experience in high-level college athletics?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2022, 07:25:15 PM »

You asked so many questions, and hot carried away that #7 isn’t even a question.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2022, 08:06:28 PM »
You asked so many questions, and hot carried away that #7 isn’t even a question.
Thanks...answer 1-6 for me.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2022, 09:00:48 PM »
13 (12 actual questions)…….i aint got time for that. Do some research…..easily answer half of them.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2022, 06:52:42 AM »
13 (12 actual questions)…….i aint got time for that. Do some research…..easily answer half of them.
You've put a lot of time into my post already...why not answer 6.5 (actually 6) of my questions.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2022, 07:53:36 AM »
You've put a lot of time into my post already...why not answer 6.5 (actually 6) of my questions.
Not really.
All men and women are getting paid a set $ amount. However, some of the men’s players are getting more $…..because they are presumably worth more.

That should answer about 4 of your questions.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2022, 08:30:29 AM »
Not really.
All men and women are getting paid a set $ amount. However, some of the men’s players are getting more $…..because they are presumably worth more.

That should answer about 4 of your questions.
That didn't answer my question of where the money is coming from..."Be the Difference" or additional NIL's?  "Be the Difference" is paying the MU women the same amount as some scholarship men?  I thought someone on here might have information beyond the interviews that Diener did. 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2022, 10:30:14 AM »
10 alumni gave 100K each, to start the plan.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2022, 11:03:12 AM »
10 alumni gave 100K each, to start the plan.
Money to be wasted on mediocre players.
Goal is National Championship

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2022, 09:47:35 PM »
Locker room dissensions incoming.  No wonder OMax is getting no pub

If OMax got any money he’d be in violation of his visa. Same deal for Okosun on WBB. Sucks for NRA kids.

The better play would be to fund Alston benefits. Every player would get $2990 per semester. Then others could go out and get NIL deals on their own. The effect of NIL has been vastly overstated, and there are coming crackdowns on Collectives.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 09:51:31 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2022, 10:38:28 PM »
To me it seem like NIL should stand for Now I’m Lost.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2022, 09:05:51 AM »
That didn't answer my question of where the money is coming from..."Be the Difference" or additional NIL's?  "Be the Difference" is paying the MU women the same amount as some scholarship men?  I thought someone on here might have information beyond the interviews that Diener did.

As it has been explained to me (by someone who told me Diener said too much) every player gets the same amount.  Low five figures. 

Anything additional comes from OTHER NIL deals, like the one Justin had last year with that restaurant.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2022, 07:36:00 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2022, 09:10:20 AM »
Nike announced NIL deals with five high school and college basketball players on Monday: Bronny James, Caitlin Clark, Haley Jones, DJ Wagner and Juju Watkins.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2022, 11:13:32 AM »
Nike announced NIL deals with five high school and college basketball players on Monday: Bronny James, Caitlin Clark, Haley Jones, DJ Wagner and Juju Watkins.

Good for these kids.

Remember, though, that Nike hands out these deals to help their own bottom line - not that of the kids.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2022, 11:41:46 AM »
The big news there was DJ Wagner. It's thought that his list is down to Kentucky (Nike) and Louisville (Adidas). If he's signing with Nike, it pretty much rules out Louisville.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2022, 11:48:52 AM »
The big news there was DJ Wagner. It's thought that his list is down to Kentucky (Nike) and Louisville (Adidas). If he's signing with Nike, it pretty much rules out Louisville.

That will be a big whiff by Kenny Payne and a bad start to his career at Louisville
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2022, 12:07:34 PM »
Good for these kids.

Remember, though, that Nike hands out these deals to help their own bottom line - not that of the kids.

Well, of course it's to help Nike's bottom line. But, in doing so, it does help the kids fatten their wallets. Doesn't mean Nike is being altruistic. It means Nike is being a business, which is what it is.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 03:55:06 PM by MU82 »