[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: In response to U.S. gun carnage, Canada to enact tough laws  (Read 23947 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: In response to U.S. gun carnage, Canada to enact tough laws
« Reply #400 on: June 07, 2022, 03:51:00 PM »
Ever think they will enact some common sense gun responsibility measures, just maybe they are actually formulating something that will work and not some spur of the moment crap that wont do much (like a lot of legislation seems to do)

In Texas?  Absolutely not
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #401 on: June 07, 2022, 03:53:30 PM »
Ever think they will enact some common sense gun responsibility measures, just maybe they are actually formulating something that will work and not some spur of the moment crap that wont do much (like a lot of legislation seems to do)

You mean like after Sandy Hook and Parkland?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #402 on: June 07, 2022, 04:24:32 PM »
Matthew McConaughey hit it out of the park in a speech at the White House today. Made the “leaders” of both parties (and most scoopers) look like the stubborn partisan fools they are on this issue.

If we could accept EVERYTHING he said and act on it we might have real progress and perhaps even a little healing. It was a wonderful moment - actually made me optimistic if only for a moment.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #403 on: June 07, 2022, 04:34:26 PM »
Matthew McConaughey hit it out of the park in a speech at the White House today. Made the “leaders” of both parties (and most scoopers) look like the stubborn partisan fools they are on this issue.

If we could accept EVERYTHING he said and act on it we might have real progress and perhaps even a little healing. It was a wonderful moment - actually made me optimistic if only for a moment.

Right, because it's "both sides" that have blocked every single piece of responsible gun legislation in the last 20 years.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #404 on: June 07, 2022, 04:42:06 PM »

I saw the speech. It was great, but it sounded like what a lot of Scoopers and many left leaning politicians have been saying for years on this topic. I personally don't think his proposed remedies go far enough but I would gladly try them and would be happy to be wrong if they proved to be effective enough.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #405 on: June 07, 2022, 04:59:03 PM »
I'd love to see what would happen to Matthew if he ran in a GOP primary in Texas with his gun control ideas as his major platform

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #406 on: June 07, 2022, 05:02:25 PM »
I'd love to see what would happen to Matthew if he ran in a GOP primary in Texas with his gun control ideas as his major platform

I'm sure he'd get murdered. Hopefully not literally.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #407 on: June 07, 2022, 05:05:12 PM »

He’d lose.  His speech was from the heart and believable but his fellow Texans won’t care.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #408 on: June 07, 2022, 05:33:58 PM »
You mean like after Sandy Hook and Parkland?
I guess I should have put it in teal

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #409 on: June 07, 2022, 05:56:58 PM »
I saw the speech. It was great, but it sounded like what a lot of Scoopers and many left leaning politicians have been saying for years on this topic. I personally don't think his proposed remedies go far enough but I would gladly try them and would be happy to be wrong if they proved to be effective enough.

Not to me. His speech was balanced. He realizes that the issue is multifaceted. Should an 18 year old be allowed to buy an AR 15? Should there be waiting periods? And other gun restrictions? Sure. On the other hand, should we do a better job of protecting our schools? What about red flag laws, dealing with young men who have obvious mental health problems? How about enforcing gun laws now on the books and toughening sentences for crimes committed with firearms? And maybe even stop demonizing law abiding responsible gun owners?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #410 on: June 07, 2022, 06:26:09 PM »

That’s all garbage, Lenny. Pretend all you want that it is both sides, but you’re lying to yourself and to us.

Again today, Rs said they were fine with 18 year old kids buying weapons of war that destroy bodies. Little kids who couldn’t even be identified except from their parents DNA.

That comes from only one side.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #411 on: June 07, 2022, 06:27:34 PM »

He's a Democrat FWIW although I think he was thinking about running for Governor as an Independent in 2022.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #413 on: June 07, 2022, 06:53:36 PM »
Not to me. His speech was balanced. He realizes that the issue is multifaceted. Should an 18 year old be allowed to buy an AR 15? Should there be waiting periods? And other gun restrictions? Sure. On the other hand, should we do a better job of protecting our schools? What about red flag laws, dealing with young men who have obvious mental health problems? How about enforcing gun laws now on the books and toughening sentences for crimes committed with firearms? And maybe even stop demonizing law abiding responsible gun owners?

I am on board with everything you just outlined, Tony, and I've asked for just about all of those gun-responsibility measures in this and other gun-related threads.

Glad you're on board, too, and I trust that you will vote during the next election with those points in mind. Let's work together to save some lives!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #414 on: June 07, 2022, 06:56:46 PM »
And maybe even stop demonizing law abiding responsible gun owners?

Do you believe law-abiding, responsible gun owners oppose reasonable gun control measures - red flags, age limits, magazine limits, background checks - not because they disagree with such measures, but because they feel demonized?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #415 on: June 07, 2022, 07:05:34 PM »

I'm glad to hear that you are on the team Lenny. I hope that we can see some meaningful progress on this topic
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 07:25:06 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #416 on: June 07, 2022, 09:02:58 PM »
Do you believe law-abiding, responsible gun owners oppose reasonable gun control measures - red flags, age limits, magazine limits, background checks - not because they disagree with such measures, but because they feel demonized?

Could they not be opposed to those measures, but they don't trust those proposing them cause they do feel demonized?  I think the opposition would be to those proposing them as to the explicit measure itself.

I can't speak for gun ownership or the feeling, but I have felt that way about some politicians on economic taxing issues...in that I fundamentally disagree with how they view/demonize business/the free market and wouldn't trust them to only enact "minor" changes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #417 on: June 07, 2022, 09:27:11 PM »
Could they not be opposed to those measures, but they don't trust those proposing them cause they do feel demonized?  I think the opposition would be to those proposing them as to the explicit measure itself.

I can't speak for gun ownership or the feeling, but I have felt that way about some politicians on economic taxing issues...in that I fundamentally disagree with how they view/demonize business/the free market and wouldn't trust them to only enact "minor" changes.

Hmmm.

So this is why the majority of GOP congresspeople won’t enact gun-responsibility laws?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #418 on: June 07, 2022, 09:39:11 PM »

Oh look Lenny, "both sides" acting like stubborn partisan fools.

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1534332233816981508
JUST IN: Republican leadership just sent out a notice telling all House Republicans to vote against common-sense gun safety bills tonight because the NRA opposes them— they told them all to refer to the Protect Our Kids Act as the “Unconstitutional Gun Restrictions Act.”

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #419 on: June 08, 2022, 07:37:49 AM »

I want to do what I believe to be the right thing to do.  However, since an unnamed they hurt my feelings, I will oppose.

ok.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #420 on: June 08, 2022, 08:27:34 AM »
Oh look Lenny, "both sides" acting like stubborn partisan fools.

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1534332233816981508
JUST IN: Republican leadership just sent out a notice telling all House Republicans to vote against common-sense gun safety bills tonight because the NRA opposes them— they told them all to refer to the Protect Our Kids Act as the “Unconstitutional Gun Restrictions Act.”

I don't think the bill would pass constitutional muster in the courts; especially with limits on magazine capacity. Take that out there might be some agreement.

https://congressionalsportsmen.org/policies/state/full-capacity-magazines

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #421 on: June 08, 2022, 08:33:21 AM »
I want to do what I believe to be the right thing to do.  However, since an unnamed they hurt my feelings, I will oppose.

ok.

Ding Ding Ding!
If you believe things like age limits, background checks and red flag laws will make us safer and save lives, but will oppose them because someone said something on Facebook that hurt your feels or you fall for some slippery slope fallacy, then you deserve every bit of demonization.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #422 on: June 08, 2022, 08:47:36 AM »
I am on board with everything you just outlined, Tony, and I've asked for just about all of those gun-responsibility measures in this and other gun-related threads.

Glad you're on board, too, and I trust that you will vote during the next election with those points in mind. Let's work together to save some lives!
[/color]

Your point is well taken, but the high cost of gas, groceries and just about everything else with no plan in sight to get the country on the right track is what will drive people to the polls this fall, not gun control.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #423 on: June 08, 2022, 09:04:26 AM »
[/color]

Your point is well taken, but the high cost of gas, groceries and just about everything else with no plan in sight to get the country on the right track is what will drive people to the polls this fall, not gun control.

It’s driving me to the polls, along with Roe. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #424 on: June 08, 2022, 09:20:06 AM »
Hmmm.

So this is why the majority of GOP congresspeople won’t enact gun-responsibility laws?

Thats a completely different issue that I didn't speak to.  I was only talking gun owners who don't have lobbyists and party politic BS to deal with.

Ding Ding Ding!
If you believe things like age limits, background checks and red flag laws will make us safer and save lives, but will oppose them because someone said something on Facebook that hurt your feels or you fall for some slippery slope fallacy, then you deserve every bit of demonization.

Yes, cause the only people in the US who have EVER demonized legal gun ownership is just some anonymous idiot on social media  ::)