Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Where Are We?  (Read 16062 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Where Are We?
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2022, 10:55:09 AM »
This coming season no Matta. 5 years 2 judge
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2022, 10:57:32 AM »
My biggest concern is rebounding.  A bad rebounding team last year and Lewis, the best rebounder, is likely gone.

Maybe Wrightsil and Gold can help on the boards.  We will have to wait and see.

I mean nearly every single Tom Crean and Buzz Williams teams were worse at defensive rebounding than last years team.
Marquette was 4-1 in its 5 worst defensive rebounding games. Illinois, Providence H, Depaul H, Seton Hall H, Uconn A.

It's an issue offensively. Not defensively.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2022, 11:02:16 AM »
I agree. I think an extra year in the system for some guys with added chemistry will make for a better team. It would be great if that team included Lewis, but I think we have some talent from last year that will benefit from more experience.

It’s also possible our recruits are underrated based on what Covid did for the services ability to watch guys.

Your last sentence is what I’m hoping for as well.  I’m taking the Goose approach and trusting Shaka to bring in legitimate high major players no matter what they are ranked and coaching them up. 

It’s in Shaka’s control.  We’ll find out soon enough if the foundation he is building is mediocre or an NCAA tournament contender. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2022, 11:17:49 AM »
I think our chances of being competitive for a National Title  in the next 5 years are absolutely NIL.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2022, 12:25:17 PM »
Is there some kind of annual monetary award for starting the most new threads that I don’t know about?
…….and most questions asked.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2022, 12:34:24 PM »
Next man up, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2022, 12:47:48 PM »
Next man up, aina?

Doesn’t that apply to when all players leave?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2022, 12:51:40 PM »
It does.   The circle of life.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2022, 01:04:35 PM »
Lewis?  Will we know by June 1st?  Do we have hammer type auxiliary options if he bolts?   I'm starting to feel a little anxiety.  TY.

LOL. Relax and enjoy life a little more.  I for one am very excited about next year, whether Lewis stays or not.  I am happy to see there are at least a few others on this thread that can picture us being better next year than this year, which is more than enough to ask for in year two. Excellent freshmen that showed a ton of potential becoming sophomores this year (where oftentimes Division I athletes improve the most), continued development of players like Omax and Kolek and Oso, some exciting newcomers coming in, a full year for team chemistry to develop, etc., etc.  I feel we overachieved last year despite so many obstacles and this year there are less obstacles and more continuity taking place.  Top 5 seed next year is very realistic to me, but keep feeling anxious if you must.  I guess summer time is meant to be feeling anxious about Marquette basketball, instead of enjoying yourself.  See you next November. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 03:44:51 PM by MU1980 »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2022, 02:07:28 PM »
It's official?  FK.
We are doomed MUBB going the way of MU Football
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 08:31:53 AM by Newsdreams »
Goal is National Championship

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2022, 06:50:43 PM »
We are going 2 B fine. PERIOD!

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2022, 08:29:13 PM »
In agreement with this sentiment.  I always defer to the benefit of the doubt, but I don’t see a ton on this roster.  However, I felt the same way last year.  If OMax is getting legit NBA talk, that does ease some concern.  Lace ‘em up!

2.5 and 6.6 ppg on middling teams in first two years is “getting legit NBA talk?” The Netherlands Basketball Association?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2022, 08:34:54 PM »
2.5 and 6.6 ppg on middling teams in first two years is “getting legit NBA talk?” The Netherlands Basketball Association?
So chico like.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2022, 09:32:43 PM »
LOL. Relax and enjoy life a little more.  I for one am very excited about next year, whether Lewis stays or not.  I am happy to see there are at least a few others on this thread that can picture us being better next year than this year, which is more than enough to ask for in year two. Excellent freshmen that showed a ton of potential becoming sophomores this year (where oftentimes Division I athletes improve the most), continued development of players like Omax and Kolek and Oso, some exciting newcomers coming in, a full year for team chemistry to develop, etc., etc.  I feel we overachieved last year despite so many obstacles and this year there are less obstacles and more continuity taking place.  Top 5 seed next year is very realistic to me, but keep feeling anxious if you must.  I guess summer time is meant to be feeling anxious about Marquette basketball, instead of enjoying yourself.  See you next November.

Hey, this year's freshmen will be next year's freshmen. Just ask Marquette. So will this year's sophomores and juniors!

But seriously, love the optimism. Looking forward to seeing what we have next season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2022, 11:34:38 PM »
Hey, this year's freshmen will be next year's freshmen. Just ask Marquette. So will this year's sophomores and juniors!

I've heard MU's team will be younger than most middle school frosh teams next year!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2022, 06:58:23 AM »

Givony having him in a mock draft this early clearly indicates he’s on NBA radars
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Goose

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2022, 07:26:47 AM »
I am extremely optimistic about the upcoming season and beyond. Not having a traditional transfer out this season says a lot about Shaka and the program he is building. I fully expected that we would lose a guy or two, simply because that is the nature of college basketball today, and keeping the core is victory in itself.

As for Omax, I have been high on him since the first time I saw him play and got higher on him every step of last season. He is high motor guy, an athlete and has some real basketball skills. There were several times he took a defensive rebound and went coast to coast and he looked like an NBA guy already. I am going to enjoy him this season because I think it will be his last one at MU.

Lastly, as I stated in another thread, I have complete confidence that Shaka can flat out recruit and knows what he is doing. He did not bring in one player last year that made me wonder if he knew what he is doing. I have expectations for the new guys, but am counting a big uptick in performance with the returning guys. Will say it again, OMax is going to have a major breakout season and looking forward to watching him play.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2022, 08:00:28 AM »
Givony having him in a mock draft this early clearly indicates he’s on NBA radars

Yessir. At this point a year ago, Lewis was just starting to get mentioned as a potential NBA player despite having averaged only 7.8 ppg as a freshman.

The key word to that sentence is "potential," and O-Max does have potential. Now it's up to him to great improve his stock, just as Justin did as a freshmore/sophman.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2022, 08:40:06 AM »
I am extremely optimistic about the upcoming season and beyond. Not having a traditional transfer out this season says a lot about Shaka and the program he is building. I fully expected that we would lose a guy or two, simply because that is the nature of college basketball today, and keeping the core is victory in itself.

As for Omax, I have been high on him since the first time I saw him play and got higher on him every step of last season. He is high motor guy, an athlete and has some real basketball skills. There were several times he took a defensive rebound and went coast to coast and he looked like an NBA guy already. I am going to enjoy him this season because I think it will be his last one at MU.

Lastly, as I stated in another thread, I have complete confidence that Shaka can flat out recruit and knows what he is doing. He did not bring in one player last year that made me wonder if he knew what he is doing. I have expectations for the new guys, but am counting a big uptick in performance with the returning guys. Will say it again, OMax is going to have a major breakout season and looking forward to watching him play.
Probably because other teams didn't want them, and the only traditional in the rotation is Kolek. But seriously, I'm very much looking for OMax to have a big jump in his development, he kept improving all year long.
Goal is National Championship

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2022, 10:05:16 AM »
Goose,

I sincerely hope your optimism is realistic and not just an attempt to will a good program into reality.  Your optimism is infectious but I’m a little more reserved in mine.  I think the lack of portal moves this year was telling. Shaka must have confidence in the returning players and the few freshman he brought in.  He know first hand now the talent needed to be in the upper echelon of the Big East.  If his instincts on these players are correct we should see results next year.  And if that happens, I’ll be all in just like you. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2022, 10:18:45 AM »
Shooter

If I think Shaka is the wrong guy or not getting it done, I will be one of the first to point it out. Last year was a good start to the Shaka era and the bar is higher going into next season. Imo, if Shaka thought the returning guys were not up to the task he would have nudged some out or recruited over guys, and he did not do it.

Hey, I could be proven wrong, but I think Shaka has a plan and can execute on it. TAMU mentioned often about creating culture and having everyone back looks like seven guys bought in on the culture. Now, 1-2 guys need a big step forward and things are looking good.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2022, 10:34:42 AM »
Shooter

If I think Shaka is the wrong guy or not getting it done, I will be one of the first to point it out. Last year was a good start to the Shaka era and the bar is higher going into next season. Imo, if Shaka thought the returning guys were not up to the task he would have nudged some out or recruited over guys, and he did not do it.

Hey, I could be proven wrong, but I think Shaka has a plan and can execute on it. TAMU mentioned often about creating culture and having everyone back looks like seven guys bought in on the culture. Now, 1-2 guys need a big step forward and things are looking good.

Yeah I agree with what you said earlier about him being confident in guys we brought in. He didnt even recruit Kam and Stevie, should be pretty telling that he made it a point to keep them on board. And both showed definite flashes of why.

Thing I find funny is like in most things people pick and choose when they want to complain about differing ends of something in sports.

1 moment everyone will bitch about how FA style transfers will ruin the game. There will be no program continuity. Every year will be like starting over and reloaded while never developing talent.

Then, our coach almost completely ignores the portal. Retains his entire roster sans a guy who is going Pro and a guy who we knew would be gone for year 15. And now people are super doom and gloom about that.

I get it, probably a happy medium. Keep near everyone and add 1 or 2 major impact guys. But its hard to be upset that our coach is confident in his roster and wanted to keep EVERYONE. I mean just a couple years ago with a normal transfer process, we all would have been doing cartwheels at keeping the roster.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2022, 10:40:19 AM »
Some people aren't happy unless they are unhappy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2022, 11:35:50 AM »
Agreed PGs,  the best case scenario every year is to have upper tier talent on your roster that doesn’t leave and every once in a while pick up a need through the portal. 

We’ll see this year if the talent evaluation and development by Shaka is on point.  I’m cautiously optimistic and ready to be all in.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2022, 01:09:30 PM »
Like Goose and some others, I'm an optimist about our future, including next season.

Having said that, I'm a little surprised Shaka hasn't added a big-impact transfer for the upcoming season, especially given Lewis' situation. But there are still a few good ones available, and Justin hasn't officially left yet, so maybe Shaka still has some tricks up his sleeve.

feedback