collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 Green Bay Packers Thread  (Read 129738 times)

PointWarrior

• All American
Re: 2022-23 Green Bay Packers Thread
« Reply #650 on: November 06, 2022, 09:40:36 PM »

yep, I wanted the draft pick and player bonanza the Seahawks got.  they were going to start over with a new QB sometime in 1, 2 or 3 years, why not do it with maximum value. I was ready to make the call and move on.  Now they probably can't even trade him for Geno Smith...

Sure you did.  ::)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #651 on: November 07, 2022, 08:53:05 AM »
Nobody trades the reigning MVP.

It’s not easy to sell high - few do.

Much more common for people to look to sell an asset after it’s basically worthless. That’s where most Packer fans are now.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #652 on: November 07, 2022, 09:28:45 AM »

T-O-A-S-T

The obese lady has sung, put her music sheets away and started her car for the drive home.

It probably should be Jordan Love time. Let's see what he has!

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #653 on: November 07, 2022, 09:35:03 AM »
It’s not easy to sell high - few do.

Much more common for people to look to sell an asset after it’s basically worthless. That’s where most Packer fans are now.

All time greats don't get traded unless they ask for it and have leverage.  The Packers were never trading Rodgers, nor should they have.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #654 on: November 07, 2022, 09:47:51 AM »
One positive to the losing streak, all those early game comparison graphics of LaFleur to Lombardi have ceased…

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #655 on: November 07, 2022, 10:04:29 AM »
Gary out for the year with a torn ACL.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #656 on: November 07, 2022, 10:15:29 AM »
One positive to the losing streak, all those early game comparison graphics of LaFleur to Lombardi have ceased…

Coach Lombardi would have puked all over this team.

If Coach Lombardi's team played like the Packers did yesterday, Coach Lombardi probably would have died of a massive heart attack -- on the sidelines! He would have screamed so loud, the folks in the back row would have heard, loud and clear!

The reality is Coach Lombardi's teams wouldn't have played like the Packers did yesterday. I doubt Bart Starr ever had three interceptions in a game -- and certainly not three inside the 25 yard line. The Packer defenses were disciplined and focused in those days. The offense played consistently and well. Yes, Coach Lombardi's teams lost from time to time, but the effort and the execution was there. I didn't see that yesterday nor have I in recent weeks.

One of two things is clear about this Packers team -- either they didn't have the talent the front office thinks it put on the field, or the coaching of the team this year leaves an awful lot to be desired. Neither is complementary and an investigation needs to be undertaken to decide whether to fire the GM or the Head Coach.

Regardless, something is really wrong in Green Bay!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #657 on: November 07, 2022, 10:15:50 AM »
All time greats don't get traded unless they ask for it and have leverage.  The Packers were never trading Rodgers, nor should they have.

How the Packers handled AR is an example of epic fail. They pissed him off when he still had greatness left and mortgaged the franchise for him when his greatness was near the end.

Arguing that you can’t trade stars unless they ask for it is silly. Of course you can. You can argue that knowing what they knew, this off season wasn’t the right time. But 2+ months into the season you can’t argue that the Packers are better off for keeping him.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #658 on: November 07, 2022, 10:38:25 AM »
How the Packers handled AR is an example of epic fail. They pissed him off when he still had greatness left and mortgaged the franchise for him when his greatness was near the end.

Arguing that you can’t trade stars unless they ask for it is silly. Of course you can. You can argue that knowing what they knew, this off season wasn’t the right time. But 2+ months into the season you can’t argue that the Packers are better off for keeping him.

An epic fail?  Wait, you (and others here) actually think the Packers should have traded Aaron Rodgers THIS PAST offseason?  LOL!

By FAR the most important position in football is the quarterback position.  Aaron Rodgers was coming off back to back MVP seasons!  It's not like he was the 12th best quarterback in the NFL.  He was the best player in the league and largely responsible for back to back to back 13 win seasons!  That is absolutely ludicrous to say that making him the highest paid quarterback for this season and next was an epic fail.  An epic fail would have been trading your back to back MVP.

If people said they should've traded Rodgers after a "down" season when they traded up to get his replacement fine.  Pretty crazy, but at least there's some sense to that.  The "epic fail" was not paying Rodgers.  The "epic fail" was putting together a roster with...Allen Lazard? as your #1 pass catcher.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #659 on: November 07, 2022, 10:40:12 AM »
Amen.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #660 on: November 07, 2022, 10:45:05 AM »
Ugh...

If Rodgers is set on playing, the Packers can’t cut him in the offseason, because they’d still be on the hook for the $59 million. Maybe Rodgers will decide he’s had enough and retire. But how many people would be willing to walk away from $59 million?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #661 on: November 07, 2022, 10:47:22 AM »
The only way I see you being able to trade Rodgers last year is if you thought Love was the answer. It doesn’t look like that’s the case, so you try to go all-in with Rodgers since you’re probably in the market for a future QB anyways.

I’m starting to get a bit worried about Lafleur. It just doesn’t seem the team responds well to adversity in big games. They get off to a hot start and one bad play stalls things.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #662 on: November 07, 2022, 10:51:37 AM »
So many injuries.  So few playmakers on offense.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #663 on: November 07, 2022, 11:07:59 AM »
If you like fancy stats and regular season wins, Rodgers was your guy.  If you wanted leadership and a QB to elevate his game in January, he’s not your guy
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #664 on: November 07, 2022, 11:12:13 AM »
An epic fail?  Wait, you (and others here) actually think the Packers should have traded Aaron Rodgers THIS PAST offseason?  LOL!

By FAR the most important position in football is the quarterback position.  Aaron Rodgers was coming off back to back MVP seasons!  It's not like he was the 12th best quarterback in the NFL.  He was the best player in the league and largely responsible for back to back to back 13 win seasons!  That is absolutely ludicrous to say that making him the highest paid quarterback for this season and next was an epic fail.  An epic fail would have been trading your back to back MVP.

If people said they should've traded Rodgers after a "down" season when they traded up to get his replacement fine.  Pretty crazy, but at least there's some sense to that.  The "epic fail" was not paying Rodgers.  The "epic fail" was putting together a roster with...Allen Lazard? as your #1 pass catcher.

Yep.

The only way I see you being able to trade Rodgers last year is if you thought Love was the answer. It doesn’t look like that’s the case, so you try to go all-in with Rodgers since you’re probably in the market for a future QB anyways.

Yep.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #665 on: November 07, 2022, 11:26:30 AM »
Rico

Spot on. More importantly, IMO, the fancy stats were mainly against lower level competition. For an all time great, his record against winning teams is not very impressive. No doubt that Rodgers is a special talent, but it has not carried over to great team success in the playoffs. I have joked for the past few years that Rodgers final regular season game will be like Kobe's last game. He will throw for 900 yards and 8 TD's and think he won the SB. I can him being smug at the presser thinking everyone is dying to hear every word that comes out of his mouth.

• All American
« Reply #666 on: November 07, 2022, 11:26:31 AM »
Coach Lombardi would have puked all over this team.

If Coach Lombardi's team played like the Packers did yesterday, Coach Lombardi probably would have died of a massive heart attack -- on the sidelines! He would have screamed so loud, the folks in the back row would have heard, loud and clear!

The reality is Coach Lombardi's teams wouldn't have played like the Packers did yesterday. I doubt Bart Starr ever had three interceptions in a game -- and certainly not three inside the 25 yard line. The Packer defenses were disciplined and focused in those days. The offense played consistently and well. Yes, Coach Lombardi's teams lost from time to time, but the effort and the execution was there. I didn't see that yesterday nor have I in recent weeks.

At least once a year, except for 1961, Bart Starr threw 3 INTs in a game when he was the regular starter.  In 1967, he threw nine interceptions and no TD passes the first two games of the season!  And that ended with a Super Bowl victory.

Starr threw 138 interceptions in 196 career games.  Rodgers has thrown 100 in 222.

Back in the day, quarterbacks threw interceptions all the damn time.  George Blanda threw 277 of them, against 236 TDs, and is in the Hall of Fame.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #667 on: November 07, 2022, 11:31:06 AM »

At least once a year, except for 1961, Bart Starr threw 3 INTs in a game when he was the regular starter.  In 1967, he threw nine interceptions and no TD passes the first two games of the season!  And that ended with a Super Bowl victory.

Starr threw 138 interceptions in 196 career games.  Rodgers has thrown 100 in 222.

Back in the day, quarterbacks threw interceptions all the damn time.  George Blanda threw 277 of them, against 236 TDs, and is in the Hall of Fame.

Well duh? Back in the day defenses were allowed to actually play defense.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #668 on: November 07, 2022, 11:33:05 AM »

At least once a year, except for 1961, Bart Starr threw 3 INTs in a game when he was the regular starter. In 1967, he threw nine interceptions and no TD passes the first two games of the season!  And that ended with a Super Bowl victory.

LOL. I'm sure the dgies of the 1960s would have been talking about how this NEVER happened in Curly Lambeau's day. Curly was rolling over in his grave in September of 67!

• All American
« Reply #669 on: November 07, 2022, 11:39:36 AM »
Rico

Spot on. More importantly, IMO, the fancy stats were mainly against lower level competition. For an all time great, his record against winning teams is not very impressive. No doubt that Rodgers is a special talent, but it has not carried over to great team success in the playoffs. I have joked for the past few years that Rodgers final regular season game will be like Kobe's last game. He will throw for 900 yards and 8 TD's and think he won the SB. I can him being smug at the presser thinking everyone is dying to hear every word that comes out of his mouth.

His playoff stats have been fine - his quarterback rating in the playoffs is just a shade under his regular season rating.  Yeah, everyone wishes his 12-10 record was better no doubt, but he has had very few Favre-like clunkers.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #670 on: November 07, 2022, 12:21:20 PM »

Wow, you learn something you should have known every day. I never realized Starr had that many interceptions.

That said, Bart Starr on two Super Bowls and five World Championships in his tenure as Packers quarterback. As brilliant as Aaron Rodgers is, he has one Super Bowl to show for it. And, a lot of losses in the playoffs. Lombardi's Packers had one playoff loss and they were 12 yards and probably one play freom making that no playoff losses.

I ultimately agree with Goose, as usual. Rodgers is a great quarterback who can't win the big one. Whether it is because the Packers mismanaged the team around him, the coaches couldn't coach up or the salary cap did the Packers in, I'll leave to others. But, I will conclude that the historical quarterback that is most comparative to Rodgers is Dan Marino down at Miami. He didn't win when it mattered either.

• All American
« Reply #671 on: November 07, 2022, 12:30:10 PM »
Wow, you learn something you should have known every day. I never realized Starr had that many interceptions.

That said, Bart Starr on two Super Bowls and five World Championships in his tenure as Packers quarterback. As brilliant as Aaron Rodgers is, he has one Super Bowl to show for it. And, a lot of losses in the playoffs. Lombardi's Packers had one playoff loss and they were 12 yards and probably one play freom making that no playoff losses.

I ultimately agree with Goose, as usual. Rodgers is a great quarterback who can't win the big one. Whether it is because the Packers mismanaged the team around him, the coaches couldn't coach up or the salary cap did the Packers in, I'll leave to others. But, I will conclude that the historical quarterback that is most comparative to Rodgers is Dan Marino down at Miami. He didn't win when it mattered either.

When Rodgers has lost lately in the playoffs, its because the defense gets trucked early.  One of the exception being last year's Niners game that was clearly a poor performance.  Like the game against Tampa in Lambeau? Hardly an example of that. Clearly outplayed Brady. But the bumf*ck defense that day, including that TD just before halftime, was awful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #672 on: November 07, 2022, 03:30:31 PM »

If people said they should've traded Rodgers after a "down" season when they traded up to get his replacement, fine.

Most people buy high and sell low. You’re one of them. You want to buy high on a 38 year old who looked awful in last year’s most important game? Be my guest. How’s it workin’ for you?

• All American
« Reply #673 on: November 07, 2022, 03:41:03 PM »
Most people buy high and sell low. You’re one of them. You want to buy high on a 38 year old who looked awful in last year’s most important game? Be my guest. How’s it workin’ for you?

He didn't look "awful" in the playoffs last year.  He did look perfectly mediocre and performed less than his MVP regular season.  He performed WAY better than Tom Brady did his last game with the Pats though and was five years younger than Brady was at the time.

So Brady and the Pats moved on from one another - and TB won a Super Bowl the next season.  And that was supposed to be GB's formula this year.  Invest in the defense and let that unit carry them...run the ball...and keep Rodgers efficient.

But it hasn't worked. They have no receivers so defenses are stacking against the run.  And the defense is OK, but nowhere near what the Bucs have in Tampa.  It was a perfectly logical plan that has been woefully executed, IMO mostly because they don't have the personnel cause Gutey stinks.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #674 on: November 07, 2022, 04:11:58 PM »

Lol.  You try to act like you're the smartest guy in the room, but my god are you dumb.  You REALLY thought THIS PAST OFFSEASON was the one for the Packers to move on from Aaron Rodgers?!  Haha Jesus.

Oh no, not a sample size of one single game!  Clearly the 49ers game must've shown Rodgers didn't have it anymore!  Just ignore the previous 17 games where the guy, oh, you know, WON THE MVP!

They were the freaking one seed in the NFC back to back years.  You REALLY thought the time to SELL was right after that?  Haha talk about revisionist history.  They're going to move on to Jordan Love when they have a 2 year championship window?  That's the one way to slam that window shut immediately.

You want to sell when a guy has a bad Playoff game?  Broncos should've sold John Elway in the 1997 offseason.  Can't believe those same Broncos kept Peyton Manning around after his 2013 performance.  How stupid is Bill Bellichick to hang onto Tom Brady after his 2008 Super Bowl performance?  Get a clue Bill!  I could go on and on with the list of players who have had a bad single game and won big the next year.  What a hysterically stupid take.

"Epic fail" to keep your back to back MVP who lead you to the one seed in back to back years, after leading you to an NFC Championship game.

What a dumbass.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 04:15:23 PM by WithoutBias »