[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: How long until you retire?  (Read 7961 times)

tower912

• All American
How long until you retire?
« on: April 20, 2022, 08:20:44 PM »
To let Jay Wright have his much deserved tributes, let's move this here.   How long until you retire?    What are you looking forward to?

8 months or one bad day.    I am looking forward to getting consistent sleep for the first time since I was a teenager.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: How long until you retire?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 08:26:28 PM »
To let Jay Wright have his much deserved tributes, let's move this here.   How long until you retire?    What are you looking forward to?

8 months or one bad day.    I am looking forward to getting consistent sleep for the first time since I was a teenager.

10+ years. Really don’t know what I’m looking forward to because there is a lot of time between now and then.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 08:31:44 PM »

20 yrs of service?

Our goal is 55, which is when our daughter graduates his school.  Sell our house, buy a place in AZ or NM for winters, lake house for the rest of the year.  Leave the People's Republic far behind.  Probably would work part time or consult so we don't get too bored. 

Or something.   ;D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 08:34:48 PM »
When I go, it will be 32 years, 9 months of bad sleep, heavy turn out gear, exposure to chemicals and sick people, watching a lot of them die.

Good sleep.

My wife will continue working until the HS freshman graduates college.   
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 06:13:35 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 09:12:24 PM »
20 yrs of service?

Our goal is 55, which is when our daughter graduates his school.  Sell our house, buy a place in AZ or NM for winters, lake house for the rest of the year.  Leave the People's Republic far behind.  Probably would work part time or consult so we don't get too bored. 

Or something.   ;D

First of May kinda something, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 09:29:04 PM »
My wife and I retired in 2008 both at age 62. I could have worked longer but decided to stay home to take care of my dad who was suffering from Alzheimer’s.  I don't think I could survive the corporate world today and happy for once yo being on the outside looking in.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2022, 06:10:39 AM »
20 yrs of service?

Or something.   ;D

Similar goals without the kids and without AZ or NM.  Gross.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2022, 06:32:46 AM »
I don't think of retiring at all.  Quitting the corporate world in 3 more years (which will make it 35 total) to do my own thing is more likely.  I could live off the dividends but that sounds like no fun.  Would rather buy a small machine shop or a hotel or something in a small town in WI and make the 2nd half of my life interesting in a different way. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2022, 07:57:50 AM »
My goal is to semi retire at age 66 and fully retire at age 70, but I really cannot imagine my life without being involved in the business world. Business has been the one constant in my life, starting at a very early age. I cannot remember one day in my life that my Dad's company, or now my company, has not been the top priority in my life. I do worry that I might struggle not having that action in my day to day life when I retire.

As for what I am looking forward to, spending a couple of months a year in Naples, FL, playing golf 3-5 times a week, traveling with my wife and enjoying every day with my kids and grandkids. I guess, enjoying my family is going to be my greatest joy in retirement.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2022, 08:17:10 AM »
My goal is to semi retire at age 66 and fully retire at age 70, but I really cannot imagine my life without being involved in the business world. Business has been the one constant in my life, starting at a very early age. I cannot remember one day in my life that my Dad's company, or now my company, has not been the top priority in my life. I do worry that I might struggle not having that action in my day to day life when I retire.

As for what I am looking forward to, spending a couple of months a year in Naples, FL, playing golf 3-5 times a week, traveling with my wife and enjoying every day with my kids and grandkids. I guess, enjoying my family is going to be my greatest joy in retirement.

I think that is what makes retirement 'scary' for a lot of people, Goose.  They feel like they're not useful anymore, or they don't know what to do with themselves.  I think having a plan of what you want to do can help this, but I also think we never know how we will respond to one of the last major changes in life.

We employ a fair number of retirees that just need something to do so they don't drive themselves or their spouses crazy.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 08:18:48 AM by Hards_Alumni »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2022, 08:21:45 AM »
4 years, 8 months, 3 weeks, 1 day.  Not that I'm counting.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2022, 08:53:33 AM »
Never

Dying in my office
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2022, 09:09:13 AM »
Eligible in about 10 years with 22 years of service at age 55. But I expect I'll work until at least 60 and might stay on the job until then depending on healthcare.

Honestly, it's just one more stress to think about when I'm already overstressed.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2022, 09:26:44 AM »
Staying in the Game and Competing is what keeps me going, physically and mentally.

We have built a great team  . Right now my focus is building a team that will replace those guys when they retire. 

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2022, 09:39:39 AM »
I think that is what makes retirement 'scary' for a lot of people, Goose.  They feel like they're not useful anymore, or they don't know what to do with themselves.  I think having a plan of what you want to do can help this, but I also think we never know how we will respond to one of the last major changes in life.

We employ a fair number of retirees that just need something to do so they don't drive themselves or their spouses crazy.

We have also all witnessed people who retired early, get out of the game, and no longer have the skills to get back.  My wife's best friend's husband retired at 58.  After a few years, he was bored and his hobbies couldn't sustain him.  Tried to re-enter the workforce, but the workforce kinda moved on. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2022, 09:56:20 AM »
On the flip side, I've seen those that hang in there a bit too long, and end up dying or succumbing to health problems before they can enjoy the fruits of their labor.

A cautionary tale:  a friend's spouse frequently asked him to retire and move to a warmer climate with her near one of their children.  He kept on putting it off.  They are financially comfortable.  He finally agrees to shop for a residence in that southern coastal state.  While there, she doesn't feel well.  Ends up with a death sentence type of cancer diagnosis.  He is now guilt ridden.  Both are extraordinary people.  He just loves his career too much.

Ludum habemus.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2022, 10:00:19 AM »

I was thinking about this a few years ago after talking to my grandma.  My grandfather retired, as in sold his insurance agency, in his 60s, but didn't fully retire until his mid 70s.  He still did financial consulting and a variety of other part time stuff in his field.  She said one of the biggest helps to him...was the internet.  Especially an iPad.  Cause she said for so many, less technosavvy people their age...you wake up, have breakfast and read the paper....then what?  Not that she was suggesting you sit on your iPad all day, but there is myriad stuff you can do.  Reading articles, browsing, things to watch, puzzle games to play, etc...

I'm 36, I have a 25-30 years before I truly think about it, but I do wonder about my age group and different ways we have to eat up time.  For people even 10 years older than me, video games were something you "aged" out of.  But more and more people play video games well into their adult and parenting years.  I'm not saying Gramps will be on the headset pwning noobz in Fortnite, but I absolutely envision myself still playing some sort of video games with my grandkids or into my later years.  Not to mention the ways you can eat up 4 hours without breaking a sweat on the internet.  Its almost like a more varied and flexible hobby to counter woodworking or golf or gardening.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2022, 10:19:28 AM »
Suckers work past 40
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2022, 10:22:21 AM »
On the flip side, I've seen those that hang in there a bit too long, and end up dying or succumbing to health problems before they can enjoy the fruits of their labor.

A cautionary tale:  a friend's spouse frequently asked him to retire and move to a warmer climate with her near one of their children.  He kept on putting it off.  They are financially comfortable.  He finally agrees to shop for a residence in that southern coastal state.  While there, she doesn't feel well.  Ends up with a death sentence type of cancer diagnosis.  He is now guilt ridden.  Both are extraordinary people.  He just loves his career too much.

We are only a couple generations removed from working until we die.  So I get why people feel this way.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2022, 10:26:25 AM »
I figure I've got another 12 years or so before retirement. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I'd kind of like to open a tiny breakfast place to keep busy. If I could run it at least at break even, with some "regulars" every day for coffee and breakfast, I think I'd like that.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2022, 10:29:19 AM »
Suckers work past 40

GME to the moon.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2022, 10:36:09 AM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2022, 10:36:34 AM »
The FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early) community has some advocates for multiple retirements -- years-long breaks from your career while you spend down the money you've saved up.

I imagine the struggle of getting back in the workforce still exists, but not as much at 45 vs. at 60 like Clarissa's friend.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2022, 11:00:59 AM »
Sir

That is a sad story about your friend. Balance is needed in life and you do need to enjoy everyday. Prayers out to your friend and his wife.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2022, 11:14:44 AM »
A touch over 21 years to go to retire with full pension at 57.