collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Armed intruder  (Read 2903 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Armed intruder
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 04:05:41 PM »
Did you think you were posting to Nextdoor?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 04:14:00 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 06:23:27 PM »
Toddler fatally shoots 4-year-old sister at Pennsylvania gas station:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/toddler-fatally-shoots-4-year-old-sister-pennsylvania-gas-station-rcna23130

Illinois mother killed by her 3-year-old son playing with gun in grocery store parking lot:

https://abc7.com/mother-killed-by-child-accidental-shooting-dejah-bennet-toddler-shoots-mom/11651498/

Texas toddler shoots mom, baby sibling in Walmart parking lot:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8493684/toddler-shoots-mother-sibling-texas-walmart/

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 09:34:04 PM »
Toddler fatally shoots 4-year-old sister at Pennsylvania gas station:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/toddler-fatally-shoots-4-year-old-sister-pennsylvania-gas-station-rcna23130

Illinois mother killed by her 3-year-old son playing with gun in grocery store parking lot:

https://abc7.com/mother-killed-by-child-accidental-shooting-dejah-bennet-toddler-shoots-mom/11651498/

Texas toddler shoots mom, baby sibling in Walmart parking lot:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8493684/toddler-shoots-mother-sibling-texas-walmart/

Your obsession with toddler shootings is creepy AF.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 08:47:39 AM »

The fact that toddler shootings exist at all is even spookier.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 09:10:59 AM »
Other dangers with children would be:
   Access to lighters and matches (fires)
   Around water deeper then themselves (drownings)
   Bathtubs filled with water and electric appliances nearby (electrocution)
   Abductions
   and probably many others
 It is very sad when children are just being children but do not understand the dangers.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 09:11:18 AM »

And your obsession with 82 is normal?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 09:13:21 AM »
   Abductions
   and probably many others
 It is very sad when children are just being children but do not understand the dangers.

The main purpose of matches, water, and appliances is NOT to kill people.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2022, 09:18:13 AM »
Like anything, things can be abused.
Ask the good folks in Waukesha.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 09:21:06 AM »
   Abductions
   and probably many others
 It is very sad when children are just being children but do not understand the dangers. and their adult caretakers do not take proper care of their firearms.

FIFY

The differences with your list and 82's is that other than the matches/lighters, the child is only going to harm itself (which is still tragic). With guns, they can harm themselves and others. My guess is that child/firearm accidents are also more common than fires set by children where someone is significantly harmed, as well as more common than electrocution and I would guess about as common as drownings. These are guesses though so I could be wrong. Also, the main purpose of the items on your list is not to cause harm. The only purpose of a weapon is to cause harm.

Guns in rare instances can deter a crime like a home invasion. They are more likely to result in the death/injury of someone in the house. Most times they result in neither.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2022, 09:23:23 AM »
FIFY

The differences with your list and 82's is that other than the matches/lighters, the child is only going to harm itself (which is still tragic). With guns, they can harm themselves and others. My guess is that child/firearm accidents are also more common than fires set by children where someone is significantly harmed, as well as more common than electrocution and I would guess about as common as drownings. These are guesses though so I could be wrong. Also, the main purpose of the items on your list is not to cause harm. The only purpose of a weapon is to cause harm.

Guns in rare instances can deter a crime like a home invasion. They are more likely to result in the death/injury of someone in the house. Most times they result in neither.

Nah. The only way to stop a bad toddler with a gun is a good toddler with a gun.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2022, 09:41:19 AM »
Moral of the story, people don't follow laws so we need to become a lawless society.

Imagine how terrified some people on here would be to leave their houses if there were no laws.

Heck, you're not safe IN your houses.  Breaking and entering?  Not a crime.  Homicide?  Legal!  Arson?  Have at it!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2022, 09:42:30 AM »
Moral of the story, people don't follow laws so we need to become a lawless society.

Imagine how terrified some people on here would be to leave their houses if there were no laws.

Heck, you're not safe IN your houses.  Breaking and entering?  Not a crime.  Homicide?  Legal!  Arson?  Have at it!

The only solution is The Purge.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2022, 09:43:11 AM »
Nah. The only way to stop a bad toddler with a gun is a good toddler with a gun.

I don't disagree with your general premise, but do you ever get tired of repeating the exact same absurd hyperbole over and over?

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2022, 09:45:46 AM »
I predict many participants here will find their ideological rivals to be persuasive and enlightening. Many, if not all, will change their minds and be persuaded by the civil debate and many anecdotes shared.

Truly, an inspiration on these internets.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2022, 09:51:28 AM »
I predict many participants here will find their ideological rivals to be persuasive and enlightening. Many, if not all, will change their minds and be persuaded by the civil debate and many anecdotes shared.

+1

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2022, 09:53:00 AM »

I don't know about you, but I never decide any personal ideological position until Ive heard anonymous internet posters wax poetically.  Only then can I truly feel justified in my beliefs.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2022, 10:27:59 AM »
I don't disagree with your general premise, but do you ever get tired of repeating the exact same absurd hyperbole over and over?
Probably no more so that 4never, roqqet, etc.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2022, 10:36:32 AM »
Probably no more so that 4never, roqqet, etc.

I wasn't talking about general topics or points.  I meant the specific "More toddlers with guns, FREEDOM"  "The only solution is everyone needs a gun, AMERICA!".  Like literal parroting of the same sentence, with maybe a slight differentiation.

Rocket posts the same premise, but in some always shifting multi paragraph eye rolling diatribe.

One you can play Scoop Bingo with on a weekly basis.  The other gives you a migraine.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2022, 10:37:57 AM »
FIFY

This keeps coming up and it made me curious.  This is from the CDC...

Although definitions of defensive gun use vary, it is generally defined as the use of a firearm to protect and defend one’s self, family, others, and/or property against crime or victimization.

Estimates of defensive gun use vary depending on the questions asked, populations studied, timeframe, and other factors related to the design of studies. The report Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence external icon indicates a range of 60,000 to 2.5 million defensive gun uses each year.

The CDC (for 2019 so a bit old -- these numbers have likely gone up) cites about 16K non-suicide deaths from firearms. 

https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/firearms/fastfact.html

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2022, 10:40:53 AM »
I wasn't talking about general topics or points.  I meant the specific "More toddlers with guns, FREEDOM"  "The only solution is everyone needs a gun, AMERICA!".  Like literal parroting of the same sentence, with maybe a slight differentiation.

Rocket posts the same premise, but in some always shifting multi paragraph eye rolling diatribe.

One you can play Scoop Bingo with on a weekly basis.  The other gives you a migraine.
Which is which?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2022, 10:45:55 AM »

I think he's trying to be funny.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2022, 11:14:41 AM »
This keeps coming up and it made me curious.  This is from the CDC...

The CDC (for 2019 so a bit old -- these numbers have likely gone up) cites about 16K non-suicide deaths from firearms. 

https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/firearms/fastfact.html

So it's not from the CDC. The CDC links to a 2013 study and interestingly, when you click on the link on the CDC website, this is what comes up:

"Links with this icon  indicate that you are leaving the CDC website.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) cannot attest to the accuracy of a non-federal website.
Linking to a non-federal website does not constitute an endorsement by CDC or any of its employees of the sponsors or the information and products presented on the website.
You will be subject to the destination website's privacy policy when you follow the link.
CDC is not responsible for Section 508 compliance (accessibility) on other federal or private website."

I tried to read the linked study but it's behind a paywall. I'd need to understand what the study is defining as "defensive gun use" before make a judgement. I'd be very surprised to learn that there were 60,000-2.5 million incidents a year where a crime was occurring and then stopped because someone brandished a firearm. That's a rate of 164.38 to 6,849.32 incidents a day. At the higher rate, that means virtually every gun owner in the US should be experiencing a crime that they stop with their firearm every few years.

Also keep in mind that I said death/injury, not non-suicide death. So you have to include all of the suicides and non-fatal injuries as well.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 11:17:16 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2022, 11:31:20 AM »
Yes indeed, the Wisdom of Ziggy. Who could be against such flawless logic?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.